JWC52 writes:

All you Fulmeristas need to "get over it" Fulmer is gone and never will be back! If that dribble is all you have to write about then take it where someone wants to hear it. Oh thats right.... no one wants to hear it! Fulmer was and is a has been. He had his time but it is over now. Give CBJ a chance and support this coach and team like you are supposed to if you truly are a Vol fan! Wear the orange proud and get behind this coach and get over it with the Fulmer phooey.

traderjoe writes:

in response to SewaneeVolFan:

"A LITTLE early" to judge Coach Jones's recruiting? You think?

Maybe if he'd had thirty-TWO days to recruit instead of 31, the picture would be complete, and we'd know once and for all that this is the worst coaching hire since Gerry Faust. Or Sunseri.

Not sure which is more annoying, the doomsday prophesying, or the certainty that you can predict the future in the first place.

LOL...just going by what we know based on the experts who do the rankings. We came out 11th in the SEC in case you missed it. You sound like a guy who will be satisfied with average and a 10 year re-building program. I don't think the economics will support this if you judge by the fan attendance last year. Sorry you find critical analysis of the facts so upsetting. But rest assured, Hart is counting on people like you to keep spending their money at the stadium regardless of what kind of product he puts on the field. I will say I will agree with you that no one can predict the future...in any activity in life, but what we have to do is assess the probabilities in hopes that we can shade the outcomes to more favorable than less. So how would you evaluate our recruiting relative to Auburn, Arkansas, and Kentucky? Are you willing to say that what the VOLs had to offer in terms of facilities and tradition was somewhat better than these schools? How would you say we did relative to the elite in the SEC given our facilities and a coaching staff who refers to itself as the best in the nation? How many years are you going to wait and see before you feel you have enough evidence to make a judgement? I haven't thrown in the towel on CJ. As I've said before, he has the look of a coach and he has a positive attitude. He's certainly had head coaching experience which Dooley did not have. Is he good enough to make our program competitive in the SEC before they have to board up the stadium? Don't know but what I did say is that he's not off to a 'great' start...he's in with the pack of other recent hires. Nothing 'exceptional' so far except for the contract he signed.

OrangePride writes:

in response to SewaneeVolFan:

"A LITTLE early" to judge Coach Jones's recruiting? You think?

First of all there SF, you have no more idea than anyone else regarding the ultimate outcome of this hire. Here's what we do know, it was a composite #25 class...and with 31 days to work, that is NOT horrible OR indicative of "the worst hire since Gerry Faust.." And no; the 32nd day would not have given us any further information. What will give us further information will be the next 3 years of recruits and results on the field. In the meantime, THE LEAST you personally could do is be supportive of the efforts being made on behalf of the team you supposedly support. Or were you just being sarcastic about the other negative posts? Hard to tell.

traderjoe writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

I can't agree with signing a 180 lb. rb, simply because they won't survive long in the SEC at that size.I really think there is a reason most good teams recruit the 4 and 5 star players. Chances are better for immediate results.

Jhayes...you're a cynical as I and we'll both be run off this board..lol

Of course there have been fantastic exceptions to weight and height metrics when it comes to success in football. But since we're just armchairing it, I wouldn't want to go up against the 240lb LB Bama just signed...umph!

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say too early but happy he was even able to put together a 20# class. Witch Doctor remember to try not to judge where a player ends up playing..remember Witten came to Tenn. as a DE.
Bones never lie.

OrangePride writes:

in response to traderjoe:

Not sure anyone has to wait 10 years to make a judgement, but 31 days and 1 class is certainly insufficient for anyone to fully evaluate what's taking place. As for the facilities and advantages, we are at the top of the list, so yes much is expected. Rightfully so. As for those coming out to the games in spite of the record, well....that speaks to Knoxville and Tennessee being one of the greatest venues in the country. That also bodes well for our rebuild. BTW.....when South Carolina was like 1-11 I went down there for a game. Place was packed and rocking. I thought to myself...this is what REAL fans are like in the SEC. I make NO excuses for going to all the games regardless of the record. LUV my VOLS and I plan to be there for 'em! You can stay home and make a statement if you like.

whatthe84 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

That could happen, and if those guys can behave they would play some inspired fb for UT.

How counter productive would that be? Bring in two known thugs to contaminate your fresh start. What will it look like to the players that you are bringing in two dope smokers...it tells them what you are willing to do to win. Terrible idea for sure and winning with bad characters will destroy your program. Look at Auburn and what happened there. Horrible...I can't believe it would even be considered.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

Tony Dorsett was about that size when he enrolled at Pitt..For every Jamal Lewis, there's a Travis Stephens and so on.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to whatthe84:

Oh, it's being considered alright..Don't shoot the messenger, but I'm a character guy also. Some people change and wake up (I believe Cam Newton was given a 2nd chance) who's to say Dwyer hasn't turned his life around?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Meant to say because instead of but..Doh..

whatthe84 writes:

Dyer was run off from ASU this past year... nothing indicating turn around there. Crowell played this past year at Alabama AM (I think) I don't believe he would transfer up and have to sit out a year. Newton went to JUCO and gave indications he had made efforts to do right. Both these others are dopers pot smokers are going to smoke pot thats the way it is. My hope for the future would be slammed if CBJ sells out to a quick fix that will more likely hurt than help.

JSmith525 writes:

in response to OhioVolJC:

Get your facts straight Sunshine. Fulmer had 2 top 5 classes in those last 4 years.

Yes he did, in 05 he had the number 4 class and couldn't coach them up and the team went 5-6. In 07 he had the #3 class, that season UT went 10-4. followed in 08 with a 5-7 record. In his last 4 seasons his teams went 29-21. So I guess it doesn't matter if you get a top 5 or top 10 class if ya can't coach them up. Did you forget about his #35 class in 08 or just didn't want to mention it. Fulmer is gone maybe it's time you left also, just a thought!

rollonbeagles writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Hey Beare, I'm sorry but who are these two guys? Are they someone who is still available?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to rollonbeagles:

No, these RB's are former Auburn and UGA players that ended up getting booted from their programs and have been playing JUCO ball in order to return to the SEC.

Olddogsrule writes:

Let's not forget Tee Martin who set the all time (for then) NCAA Consecutive Pass Completion record against South Carolina and won the NCG with 'The Pass' to that kid with a superlative name!

Rumblefish writes:

Don't know why folks (mostly KNS writers) are writing off (pun intended) Marlin Lane.

I thought he was the better back during the spring game, and I still think he is the better back (better than Neal) after Neal went down with injury in the first half of the season.

I saw it. I few others on here saw it. Hopefully Butch sees it too. Start Lane this year...and I promise you, he will have one hell of a year. Reminds me of Hardesty. The kid runs hard, and fights for the extra yard all the time. Neal?--not so much.

laraccoon writes:

in response to OrangePride:

well put !

1volk-nowi-tall writes:

What I remember about the 98 National Championship team is that the first game, at Syracuse, came down to a pass interference call that was made on UT's last possession which allowed us to kick a field goal for the win, instead of losing that game. I remember also a fumble in the Ark. game that allowed us to win that game at the very end when they could have run out the clock if they hadn't fumbled. We were very fortunate to win the National Championship. Yes we have the trophy and certainly deserved it as much as any other team. We were lucky though and our luck continued in the Campionship game as FSU had to go with their second string quarterback. I Believe that few teams have ever won the National Championship without(as the song says) a little bit of luck. Even Bama has had some luck is NC wins. Had two teams been undefeated last year, Bama would probably not have had the chance at NC even though IMHO they were the best team. We are at a point where we cannot hire one of the top 5-10 names is college coaching. I guess like most teams have to build up their rosters, especially those who are not at the pinnacle, we will have to build up a coach to be one of the top coaches in the nation. We certainly have made a few mistakes recently. I hope (no I will not pray about something as insignificant as football though I spend too much time rooting for the VOLS in all sports) we are able to do just that and get this train back on the track to GLORY Land. No pun intended. So if the coaches get credit for that NC they must also take the blame for the records for the last several years of their tenure and the fact that Florida owned us for most of that time.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

I agree Lane was solid last year, mix in a burner like this Freshmen and you have a good tandem of backs. The only thing I don't like about Lane is his stop&go style. He's not quick enough to use that style of running.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to 1volk-nowi-tall:

Luck isn't the word for going undefeated in a CFB season. Bama's last two seasons as good as they were couldn't finish the slate unblemished. I agree you need to make your luck and Dooley couldn't get it done (especially late in the 4th QTR.). Coaching should take the blame because the athletes had no confidence in their ability to win (or the game plan by the coach's) as well as close out games that were tightly contested.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to VinylVols:

I'm not sure if anyone actually saw Jabo Lee's highlight reel they were showing on tennessee's sight on NSD.
He looked damn fast and elusive.
Seems like a guy very capable of having his back to other teams.

Lee looks like a Rajion clone to me. Not really that elusive but for certain knows how to use his blockers and doesn't go down on the first hit. It will be really interesting to see how Bama's 8 deep RB roster plays out..IMO Kamara and Jones made a mistake signing with Bama when they could have got immediate playing time at most any other SEC school..Both are looking at a RS followed by a year riding the pine..Bama's RB rotation will probably be Yeldon, Tenpenny,Henry and maybe Drake..Hart and Fowler will lose their playing time to 2 of these new freshman phenoms and are destined to transfer out at some point.Saban can slice it any way he wants but an 8 back or even a 6 back rotation is ridiculous..Saban doesn't stray far from his 2 back rotation with a 3rd in blow out mop up duty

PUL4VOLS writes:

I read all the negative back and forth and back and forth; knowing that absolutely NONE of it will have any impact on how the team plays this spring or fall. But on and on and on it goes. The situation did not get to the point it is overnight. No ONE person is responsible and by golly it will not be fixed in one recruiting class. Watch and see how the Jones gang coaches and players play before you continue on and on with all the negativity. Otherwise, I guess you will just waste time posting. True VOL FANS do not care about individual NegaVols but this is a free site.

HighPlainsVol writes:

in response to brokendownoldvol:

Yeah but he couldvn't get anything out of them on the field or control them off the field. Most left worse than they were as freshmen.

The latter teams of Fulmer were an undisciplined bunch that played far below their ability. The bowl game against Maryland was shameful. Not only were our Vols getting killed on the field, they resorted to dirty play (e.g., several very late hits out of bounds).

HighPlainsVol writes:

in response to vol98champ:

Fulmer was great for UT, especially as long as he had Cut and Chief. Let's also not forget Manning who probably came to UT because of Cut. Name the receivers and O lineman who made it in the NFL who played during Manning's tenure. I was a big Fulmer fan until his last year, but it was time for him to go. A good hire like Saben, Spurrier, Urban, or half a dozen others who are very successful would have us back in the NC picture, but UT avoids these guys like the plague. They prefer paying 3 mil a year for a possibility to paying 5 mil for a sure thing.

You need to smell the coffee. When Fulmer was let go, Saban, Spurrier, and Urpie weren't interested in the Vol job for 5M nor were Gruden, Kelly, Cowher or any of the other guys you dream about. Coach Jones will serve us well like Doug Dickey did.

volthrunthru#658770 writes:

in response to PHAT_VOL:

He prays every day that he will be the Tennessee coach forever.
Tennessee is my dream job.
I'll bring in the best coaching staff in America.
And others.

I have to ask myself why is Coach Jones saying these things? Does he think because of resent history that we U.T. fans are that insecure?

Well I'm sure that he dosent pray everyday that he is the coach at U.T. forever. A program that has three loosing seasons in a row and far from our glory years is his dream job. Was he having a night mare? Lastly the best coaching staff in America was not hiding in Cincin.

I hope he is our coach for ever we need him to be.

GO VOLS!!

Reality is not threatening to you, either, I see.
Good to see somebody else who does not have to ignore it, for whatever reason.

The difference between me and you is that I do not want a coach forever who apparently tells the media things that obviously cannot be true, and the media cannot, apparently, have the nerve to ask him about the multiple statements that cannot be true.

In fact, I do not want a coach like that at all. Lane Kiffen did the same things...and a lot of the internet VolNation sucked up to him, choosing to ignore obvious inconsistencies in his comments. Look @ what happened there.

Same with Dooley the first couple of years.

Same with Hamilton the first two years.

Same thing with Cheek the first year.

Same with Hart the first year.

Since the President-of-the-Week is so insulated from the rest of us...we do not know what he is about, very well.

That is the reason we got into this mess---fans so desp[arate for an emotional fix that they would accept anything and anybody, as long as it said what their pathetic egos needed to hear...apparently.

And the media, because it is job scared in many instances, due to Newspaper cutback, is complicit. Can you IMAGINE a reporter riding the plane of the coach on this kind of deal in a healthy media market? No way can a reporter really report objectively on this; the leveraage going onto that plane gives the UT, Hart and the coach is amazing. And guess what---it is reflected, in my view, in the coverage.

Not once has anybody asked the guy why his comments do not square with reality.

Frankly, I do not want a coach who has such contempt for the Vol Nation that he APPARENTLY may tell untruths to it on an ongoing basis. Charismatic, etc, is different than the last few years. BUT...charisma needs to be undergirded by a love of facts. Period.

Just that simple. And I do not know how these so-called "Vols" can live with themselves choosing to ignore truth, apparently because they so desparately want a coach they can believe in. I choose to believe in one tht is trustworthy.

When that guy arrives, then I shall believe.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to JSmith525:

Two things you can count on here a gotrollsxtra, Fulmerites and POSERS.

There are Fulmer fans, such as myself, who recognize the FACTS of his last few years, obviously you do too. Then there are the weirdo man-crush University of Phil fans who believe there is NO ANSWER for UT except for Coach Fulmer. Then of course there are the Frauds who are here on a personal (and psychotic) "mission" to deface UT no matter what they do.

Actual Vol fans who are sane realize Jones has exceeded expectations so far. Recruiting day could have been a disaster. Jones and his staff flipped EIGHT young men who had been courted by other schools for YEARS, in 31 days. ANYBODY (who is serious) that doesn't understand what a great salvage job that is, and how that bodes us very well for the future, needs to follow another sport, because they do not understand this one.

AncientVolFan writes:

in response to Sunshine27:

Until his last 4 years when he got lazy.

It's been four years since Fulmer has been gone. I agree his last 5 years were not his best. However it is a proven fact that Fulmer's last 4 years he was 30 wins and 20 losses. He also came within Ainge's broken finger of winning the SEC Championship in 2007. He did win the SEC East in 2007.
Have we done better in the past 4 years? The further away we've moved from Fulmer's recruits the worse we've gotten.
I say this not just to defend Fulmer who is forever gone, but in remembrance of something Johnny Majors said when he came here from Pittsburg. "It's going to be much harder to win a national championship at Tennessee than the fans realize." Majors never explained that remark but I would bet it involved recruiting. Perhaps Fulmer took us to unsustainable heights until he just wasn't able any more. That's different from being lazy.
The point is we may have been spoiled and not realized it to put post in reference to the future. I wish Butch Jones the best.

AncientVolFan writes:

Fulmer's awful last 4 years, including his worst 2 ever were 30 wins and 20 losses. He won the SEC east during those last 4 years and came within Ainge's broke finger of winning the SEC Championship.
The four years since Fulmer left we're 23 wins and 27 losses and no SEC east champions. Perhaps Fulmer was able to keep a difficult program afloat longer than it should have been and just couldn't pull off miracles anymore. That's not being lazy or losing it.
It does perhaps portend our future.

OhioVolJC writes:

in response to volforeverandever:

Get yours straight . Number 35 in the 2007 rankings.The original poster was correct he got lazy.Worse still those last couple of highly rated classes most of those guys weren't that good or never played a down.One of those classes it may have been 2006 was ranked number 3 but turned out bad.Saw a show on ESPN that had that class as one of it's biggest bust.

oh i'm pretty clear on the facts, jack. The poster said Fulmer got lazy in recruiting his last four years. Simply not true. Yes, his last year (by the way, it was 2008, not 2007) wasn't good at a 35 ranking. But you just can't say "lazy" on the other three when two of those ranked in the top five. We'd die to have a class ranked that high today after Cheek's, Haslam's and Hamilton's decimation of this once proud program. By the way, that 2007 team you're referencing that was supposedly a bust was loaded, absolutely loaded, when they were signed. Eric Berry and 4 other 5 Stars. 11, yes, 11 4 stars. Bad injuries, struggles with academics and other changes in the program led to this class "fizzeling" but you can't say he didn't recruit a loaded class or got lazy. Any time you want to debate facts, just let me know. They teach us to read pretty good up here in Ohio.

Supersayin1 writes:

Jalen Hurd i'm gonna say NO!!!!! Thats not an SEC RB!! Maybe he would do well in the WAC! He's nowhere near a Todd Gurly or Yeldon! Sorry we should pass!
You guys are only looking at his performance against mediocre defenses that would not hold a candle to say a defense in Miami Dade county or Tuscaloosa County Alabama! NO!

Supersayin1 writes:

in response to VinylVols:

I'm calling it right now. Our 3 biggest recruits from this class will be Jabo Lee, Riyahd Jones and Joshua Dobbs.

Wasn't Dervin Young with the same built and skills gonna be a Beast eventhough he was so small and not likely to be an every down RB??? Ohh yeah that didn't pan out well!!

All we see is his small size running into real SEC Defenses stonewall and not moving an inch!! Sorry Jabno Lee and every other undersized 175-185lb RB we continue to recruit will not make it or produce anything in the SEC!

Call me a NegaVol but I will not applaud and get happy, claiming a kid will be Awesome simply because he wants to be at Tennessee!

Rudy wanted to be at Notre Dame more than anything and yet he was a huge bust who got a movie!

They can wanna be a Tennessee til they are blue in the face ,but it's easy to see they will not be game changers with our hectic schedule!

RashaadSalabeb writes:

I'm hearing Michael Dyer wants to come to UT. I wonder if our Coaches would consider bringing him in. He sure would help if they could keep him straight.

Go Vols! Get us a few more quality recruits!

Supersayin1 writes:

I'm getting sick of fans saying they would take a 2-3* Kid that simply wants to be here over a 4-5* Kid that wants to make it to the NFL by showing he's able to wreak the field!

I want to win, screw having fanboys that can't cut it in the SEC just because they grew up wanting to wear Orange!

Yeah they have Tennessee Pride but they can't produce phooey on the field against 4-5 star talent like at Bama!
As you can see most of those kids didn't grow up bama fans, they simply wanna Rip up the field, Win,and get to the NFL.

Thats why Bama,LSU,and UF are winning so amny games! It's because they get the kids that have no alliance coming in and they simply wanna win and make it to the big stage!

I love having kids that grew up VOLS fans, but being that most of those kids are in the State of Tennessee, there aren't as many 5* high calibur kids to create a 10+ win team that can get to a National title!

Now call me a NegaVol eventhough I'm speaking the truth and have been a fan since I was 9 or 10 years old.

I'm 32 now and I was born and raised in the state of Alabama! i'm a True VOL that wants to win and win often!

Supersayin1 writes:

in response to RashaadSalabeb:

Go Vols! Get us a few more quality recruits!

Please get Dyer!! If we get Dyer or Crowell, Neal and Lane would both move to 2nd and 3rd on the Dept Chart. I hate to say it but they aren't nearly as explosive or talented as eithey Dyer or Crowell! I mean look at Yeldon and he was a freshmen,and he made Lane and Neal look like WAC RB's!

UTvols33 writes:

Fulmer got fired because he couldn't beat Florida. (5-12) Everyone seems to forget that. Remember how frustrating that was? Anyway, the RB's will come when UT has some success on the field. This article was rough, but I guess the truth hurts.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to UTvols33:

Or Saban for that matter, one regular season win over Saban and that was at LSU.

Vols4Ever writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Coach Fulmer got fired because an impatient fan base didn't understand there will be lean times in the SEC and an incompetent AD didn't have a coherent plan when he bailed out of a ship that was leaking but was far from sunk.

Our current head coach hasn't been given the privilege of leading our team for one play on the field, much less a coaching session on the practice field or in a team meeting and some are proclaiming doom and disaster. We hit bottom after the ineptitude of Mike Hamilton and smooth sailing won't arrive when the sun rises tomorrow. I will give the coach a chance to lead and develop his own team with his chosen players as even moderately loyal fans will do. Don't expect a winning season this year but direction now is better than its been in 5 years. GBO !!!

OwensboroVol writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

How counter-productive this post is..I'm sure Neyland would have recruited a stable of RB's also.

You have your usual idiotic reply. I was only stating the fact that you can't blame the shortage of talent in Tennessee on bad seasons. Fulmer's first year recruiting had Peyton Manning among others from out of state. While I agree with others that Fulmer didn't seem to be able to develop players he recruited, he still had excellent recruiting years. You just have to be dedicated to it and realize that at Tennessee you are going to have to recruit out of state. I don't see my post as being counter productive at all. The truth is never counter productive. Sooner or later you guys will figure that out.

Theo writes:

in response to SevenT:

When Alabama, Florida, Georgia or LSU calls players listen and get very excited about the call. When Tennessee calls players they hit the "ignore" call button.

Just Saying

Did you happen to see the USA Today article that listed the most annoying phrases of 2012. Just sayin' was number 1.
Perhaps you could go ahead and pick up some other really stupid tag line. Maybe something like candygram or don't taze me bro. You know, something classy and meaningful.

volforeverandever writes:

in response to OhioVolJC:

Oh come on and tell us about those great 5 stars like Daniel Brooks and what great things they did for us.Coach Fulmer himself admitted he relied to much on recruiting services instead of his own evaluation.The Patrick Willis story during the Super Bowl told about how he begged to come to Tennessee but was told buy Fulmer he wasn't good enough.Fulmer admitted that because Willis was only a 2 star he went with the 5 star Brooks instead. He said I wish I had done my own evaluation on Willis. I made a terrible mistake in relying on the ratings.Yes he got lazy and it cost him his job.Tell me this old wise one if Fulmer is so great now how many wonderful classes has he signed lately ?Oh that's right you have to have a job to do that.If he was as great as you suggest he would have been hired by a high profile school .He was good once upon a time but not the last few years. LAZY!

nocleats writes:

in response to Supersayin1:

Dude , your nuts! This Kid rushed for 5 TDs and 390 yds in AAAAA State Championship game, against a great team. He Rushed for 400 yds against the defending State Championship team at their place. He has been laser timed at 4.39 by Ole Miss. If what you say is true, then why have Nick Saban, Urban Myer, Will Muschamps, Mark Richt, And probably 25 other top coaches all been wasting their time personally coming to see him play and calling. texting every week/ It looks like a college expo fair up and down the sidelines every Fri night with all the different colleges up and down the sidelines.. The Kid can make Millions (if healthy+ at RB, WR, or Strong Safety, also as Returner.
Tenns biggest foe in this battle will be J Franklin at Vandy.. Hurd will not go to Vandy, but Franklin will do and say everything he can to keep him from going to Tennessee, just like he did V Bell this year by suggesting OSU was where he should go.

volforeverandever writes:

in response to nocleats:

I agree this kid is the real deal.I have seen him play and he is great.Hurd is a must get and Butch Jones is trying hard to get him as he should be.

OhioVolJC writes:

in response to volforeverandever:

You're arguing a completely different point. Believe me, I'm not saying bring back Fulmer. But, the poster said Fulmer got lazy recruiting his last 4 years and my response was that the data, as far as how those classes were rated on NSD doesnt validate that claim. If you want to start another thread about the inconsistencies of recruit rating services, I'd chime right in on that. Wanna say Fulmer hired bad assistants and struggled keeping up with Xs and Os in the new SEC, ditto. But the man could recruit.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

No, idiotic is holding on to something that has left the building entirely. You're constantly whining about Fulmer (he's gone get that in your thick skull). Fulmer had his day and now it has passed (since 08'). I don't ever remember the fans whining about Doug Dickey 5 years after he left the program. Man up/grow up and accept UT as they are, or perhaps you shouldn't follow UT anymore because psychologically this Fulmer issue has forced you into a nervous breakdown.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Vols4Ever:

I don't expect anything..I do have faith in CBJ and his ability to manage a fb program, he's proven it in the past. As far as Fulmer, I was a Majors man. I wanted him when he was at Iowa State over an unproven HC in Bill Battle (Woodruff dropped the ball on that hire). Fulmer needed good assistants around him and he could of rode that HC gig at UT until the cows came home. His first mistake was thinking Sanders could fill in for Cutcliffe (to me it was obvious in the BCSCG) the offense was horrid against an out-manned FSU defense. But instead of hiring another proven OC like Walt Harris or Cutcliffe, Sanders remained out of loyalty and it was a bad business decision on Fulmer's behalf. If you want to stay at the top, sometimes friendships have to end. Do you think Saban would have trouble firing an incompetent assistant, or Bellichek for that matter? No, this is a business, and in business the friendship loyalty cr@p doesn't work. That's why Tom Landry, Don Shula, Phillip Fulmer, and Monte Kiffin were terminated.

in response to OrangePride:

I worked at a branch of USCe for a few years and attended several games at Brice-Williams Stadium. This was the pre-Spurrier years, and I remember thinking at the time that there has probably never been a college football fan base that put so much devotion and money into a program year after year with so little return. As annoyed as I can get with Spurrier, and as annoying as some of their fans can be, I am happy for those who never lost faith that they are enjoying some success now after all the years of futility. I wish Vol fans had some of that spirit and patience these days.

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

in response to wigmeister:

Enough already. Fulmer had his run early. His last four or five years were not good. That is what started our downfall.

I agree..Fulmer wasted scholarships on all those players who went to the NFL his last 5 years like Eric Berry and running back Hardesty. And who would recruit an OL All American like Douglas who ended up at Bama. And the WR's like Moore and Jones were also very bad and lazy efforts. Then add the DT that left when Dooley arrived. Yes Fulmer recruiting was horrible and that SEC East Championship the year before he was fired shows how badly he did.. IDIOTS!!! You deserve to be below Vandy and Ole Miss.. Now you are SEC East chumps.. Yet you still wanna bash Fulmer.

volforeverandever writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Yes Fulmer did sign some good players.But his problem was he was signing more misses than hits.By his own admission he did not evaluate very well the last few years and depended to much on the ranking services.He said we used to do our own evaluations and should have kept on doing that.This is his own words.
Wow ,I guess by your logic Dooley must have been pretty good because he signed Patterson,Hunter,James,and A.J.Johnson.No that is not the case because he missed on more players than he hit even though the above players were very good.
So now I will ask you where is Fulmer working now? If he was that great he would have gotten a job easy.
Fulmer was good once but not the last few years.He got lazy and trusted the judgement of others over his own,which was a shame because he was very good at it.Throw in bad coaching hires and he was doomed.

Supersayin1 writes:

in response to nocleats:

We must have looked at a different vid then, because from what I saw it looked like he was going up against teams that would get slaughtered against teams in the states I named above. Sorry but i'm not impressed at anything I saw, just a big average target moving in one direction against tiny tots on defense trying to bring him down. Sorry this is the SEC and to survive yeah you have to be able to run North and South but you also have to have the agility to make quick jump cuts to the outside!

I watched his video vs Derrick Greens and realized this kid would not make an SEC Roster or start if he were put up against backs like Gurly,Crowell,Dyer,Yelden,and Lacy!

Supersayin1 writes:

in response to nocleats:

Maybe you have a good point!