Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88 writes:

in response to decades_vol:

Didn't say that the Gators weren't a very good team. They are. I'll cut you some slack, though, because you lost a good player for the season. I hate that for any player, regardless where he plays. But I'm just saying that playing in this league will probably hurt you in the tourney. We're weak across the board. Both the Big East and Big 10 are loaded. The Gators would not dominate either league. You'd be hard-pressed to get many road wins in either conference. I say that because they are currently beating up on each other. You'd share the same fate. One more thing, you might not have the best team in your own state right now. Again, don't get me wrong. You've got a good team. But just one good team among quite a few others out there.

Will Yuguete will only (hopefully) miss the rest of the regular season. You have one thing right, The SEC is horrible this year. The Big East has several teams that are Elite 8 or Final Four bound. Do I think Florida can handle any of them teams? Yes, but it's College Basketball, upsets can, and will happen anyday of the week. So of course I don't get my hopes up through the roof with my Gators.

One other thing, you might be right about Florida not being the best team in Florida. As much as I hate Miami football, I enjoy seeing them dismantle Duke and NC!!!

etu_vol_fan writes:

in response to golfman1975:

Did FU loose to Arkansas? I just can't remember.

I think it might of been one off game and they over looked them. It was an ugly game but I still think UF is the class of the league (as bad as I hate to admit it).

tennlions writes:

in response to TheEffect:

At South Carolina.......the worst team in the SEC with Miss. State. Maybe you should have a ring made to commemorate the "big" victory.

What a troll! ANY conference road win is big. Just ask Florida after their trip to Arkansas.

Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88 writes:

in response to golfman1975:

Did FU loose to Arkansas? I just can't remember.

It's "lose", and that same Arky team has lost, if I'm not mistaken.. one game at home this year. They beat your Vols down in Fayetteville, remember??

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to VictorKruger:

I look at box score and see 4 points, 1 rebound and 1 steal for Chievous, and 3 rebounds for Edwards ;>). Chievous was trying to aggressively check SC's big gun Carrera. Between Chievous and Edwards, some of the load was taken off the other players, which contributed to the win.

Chievous came out and got a quick 4 points and did the best he could to try and defend but wasn't real smart in doing so..2 of his fouls were bad calls but I don't think I've ever seen player foul out in 11 minutes..Kind of curious why Reese didn't play? Might have something to do with Golden

shoelessvol#236864 writes:

Nice play today by Stokes and Golden! Good to see Golden play well. Nice job at the free throw line as well. Team played hard for 40 minutes...any road win is a good win...beat the Possums on Wednesday!!

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

You are right about Cheivous' efforts. He was battling the whole way and he did indeed get a couple of bad calls. I surely can't complain about the officiating in a general sense, but the first blocking foul called against Yemi was one of the worst I have ever seen. He was there a good two steps before the SC guy ran into him and a good foot outside the arc under the bucket. That was a 3-point play that emphatically should have gone the other way. Reese did play. Golden's performance might have had something to do with it, but Cheivous and Edwards might have taken some of the minutes Reese has been getting. They might have cut into Moore's minutes somewhat as well. Every minute guys like Reese, Moore, Cheivous, and Edwards get on the floor this year will help them going forward. After next year, those guys--plus Yemi and minus Edwards--will have to come through in a big way unless CCM gets some more high-level recruits in who can contribute as freshmen.

SevenT writes:

Battle of the SEC Basement Dwellers

vol75 writes:

Very entertaining game. Can't remember when I've laughed so hard. All the bad passes, walks, charges, clunk-a-dunks seriously made the game just plain funny to watch. Loved the Martin squared stare and glare. When it finally got down to basketball in the last 4 minutes the Vols played solid ball with their best five on the floor.

GerryOP writes:

in response to TheEffect:

Just pointing out the obvious.....Tennessee is still awful. This was not a "good" win. It was South Carolina!!!!

Not a "good" win? What is a "bad" win? Do "good" wins count more in the W-L column than "bad" wins?

C'mon pal, between football and basketball we're kind of desperate for wins ... good, bad, or otherwise. We count 'em all ...

LVFL90 writes:

in response to TheEffect:

Enjoy that "NIT Appearance" banner you will be hanging.....if you go at all.

A "Best of....." sports show just showed this GREAT GREAT GREAT shot by a kid named Christian Laettner.....maybe you've seen it?

golfman1975 writes:

in response to Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88:

Painful words for who? Watching UT struggle to put away SC gives me even more confidence for the trip to TBA. Now watch us beat up on those Kittens Tuesday.

Weird thing about schedules...you have to play the games...

FanNotSheep writes:

Congrats to Vols and Martin for a much-needed win. Too bad they wasted the chance to be on a little run with the horrible home loss to Georgia.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to johnlg00:

John,

Agree 100%. There was a long stretch in this game while observing the things that were taking place every time South Carolina came down the floor..........it really seemed as if the officials were waiting at the foul line to hand them the ball to automatically shoot free throws. That is far fetched for sure, but it really did seem to be an inordinate flurry of possessions for the Gamecocks. Either they grabbed the offensive rebounds, got fouled, or waltzed in the lane
for layups. They stayed on the Vols' end of the floor a lot. Every time it seemed U T with the ball and the lead with the opportunity to extend the lead, they found a way to have a mini comeback by S C to make this a really close game.

Anyway, not too proud to be quite grateful for the guys in Orange sucking it up and pulling this one out. Not even going to waste our time addressing the usual trolls here.

VolGrad writes:

We got a win on the road?!

Jumping Jehosephat!!!

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to TheEffect:

just pointing out that you have no life

bobe4544 writes:

Lookout NIT here we come. Martin for NIT coach of the Decade.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to SevenT:

Battle of the SEC Basement Dwellers

you win the battle of basement dwellers of life

8ball writes:

in response to SevenT:

Battle of the SEC Basement Dwellers

Effect and Seven dust we Vols fans love to win but if by chance we don't we do not lose brain cells or have problems sleeping for a month.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to GerryOP:

It's Good to you see you posting on GVX again..Are you snowed under in the Catskills?? Be safe Vol brother.

underthehill writes:

in response to golfman1975:

Did FU loose to Arkansas? I just can't remember.

fraid so ..and Vandy beat Ark by 18..who'd a thunk it..not me..

tnvolfan98 writes:

in response to TheEffect:

Considering how difficult wins have been to come by this year...can't you just let them enjoy the victory without all the sarcasm??

hikerdude writes:

Glad to get the road win. But the fact that we struggled so against the worst team in the league is not a harbinger of good things to come. BBB

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

in response to TheEffect:

I submit that a win is like sex, the worst there is is wonderful.

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

UT needs to just finish strong. Next year hopefully Maymon will be back and he and Stokes should dominate the paint.It will take two to handle Maymon and Stokes will be there for cleanup.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to MooseandSquirrelVol:

I submit that a win is like sex, the worst there is is wonderful.

+1..Golf is my albatross, however, my worst day of golfing still far outweighs my best day at work.

oldschoolvol writes:

I was at the game today. Great efforts by Golden and Stokes won it for us. The Vols showed some energy that I had not seen in previous road games. Some of the second half fouls came because SC got active offensively and we were not prepared for it. We weren't moving our feet on defense which caused the guys to be out of position quite a bit. Loved the zone press look. We have to mix thing up some on defense to create energy on offense. Pearl was a genius at doing that. Go Vols! Beat Vandy!

62vol writes:

Just wondering why the author saw this win as a learning experience for Stokes. Surely, he has won on the road before. Stokes has stepped up his game on a gradual basis and has much potential to continue to improve. Stamina has been a problem. When he dominates a full game, he will be awesome.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to 62vol:

The zone was the reason Stokes cooled off in the final 5 minutes. Frank Martin called the right defense, UT just finally made someone pay by nailing perimeter shots and creating shots..Good job hitting FT's down the stretch also.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to MOD_4_MY_DAY_JOB:

WARNING WARNING SETUP ALERT SETUP ALERT...DO NOT RESPOND!!!!

tennrich1 writes:

in response to hikerdude:

I agree that a road win is GREAT in any league except for maybe the CUSA but I think we are a much better team with Golden playing well and on the floor...well I KNOW we are...but we still arent what I would call a really good team either way...good win though...

Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88 writes:

in response to underthehill:

fraid so ..and Vandy beat Ark by 18..who'd a thunk it..not me..

You might want to check Arky's home record, then OVERALL record. COMPLETELY different team at home than it is on the road.

Razor784 writes:

in response to TheEffect:

And maybe you should put a ring on a girl, so you'd have a life and wouldn't have time to waste while trolling rival sites.

underthehill writes:

in response to Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88:

If Vandy beat Arky by 18 and Arky beat Fla ..then surely this means Vandy is better than Fla..what does it matter if it is home or away..the only place that really matters is at Rupp..where the opponent is down 15 when the walk in..due to the officiating that Cal gets to dictate..no other team has that option so what does it matter if they are home or away..Vandy has just improved while the gators are going the other way..might as well face it..numbers don't lie..

golfman1975 writes:

in response to Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88:

Can you spell "EXCUSE"??

golfman1975 writes:

in response to MooseandSquirrelVol:

I submit that a win is like sex, the worst there is is wonderful.

Then we got to have a cigarette!

VolGrad writes:

Some of you have belittled the win because it was "a win over a lower tier team."

Idiots!!!

We've been losing those lately as well!

Well..., we finally won one AND on the road, no less!

That's worth at least a "Cool, we won." You don't have to get overly emotional, just be glad we finally won one of those games we're supposed to win instead of playing the grinch.

Heck, I think they're still making the "easy ones" way too difficult and should be blowing these guys out of their own building. BUT, I'm still happy for the win.

Go Vols! Now do it to Vandy!!!

smokeygrowl writes:

The only thing more boring than Zos style of play is watching womens softball or the Lady Vols basketball.

GerryOP writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Hey Bipolar, I've been lurking around. I just got fed up with all of the naysaying about our footVols and LOI NSD. I quit posting once I saw some dude laying down "performance requirements" for Coach Jones to keep his job ... before he coached his first game as UT head coach. But I see you've been standing strong and manning the Vol fortress. Good job brother.

I'm still 100% Vol, all day, every day. Kind of cool to see our basketVols win on the road today. Not too many SEC teams are doing that this year.

Snowed under in the Catskills? Not really! We only got 6"-8" in the "blizzard" on Friday. But, the beautiful Catskill Mountains of Upstate New York are truly beautiful with a fresh coating of snow!

Be well my Vol friend!

TheFuj writes:

It is a W and a W on the road. Difficult to watch the turnover game, but take the win.
Golden helped a lot today. Like I have said for 2 years though, McBrick is the key. When he hits the 3's, it opens up the lane more. Usually when he gets double figures we win. I think he was close yesterday with 8 pts. If he hits against Vandy we will win.

DC82_Vol writes:

Sign of a good/great coach, play to the strength of your players...not your system. Finally, CCM changed it up.

I actually watched this game and felt like we were going to win it. Although, I did tell my son we are famous for losing games in the final minutes no matter what men's sport it is.

brod writes:

not an impressive win. south carolina is the worst team in the league. thank goodness we have stokes. the team can't afford stupid turnovers from our bench. if they can't come off the bench and take care of the ball, then they need to stay on the bench. armani moore is not ready. he can shoot and rebound but when the ball is in his hands he looses it more than half of the time.

volboy81 writes:

Good win! 4 close games lately & we have won 3 of them! Glad to have Golden back. Dont think we win yesterday without him.
BEAT VANDY!

tennrich1 writes:

in response to sameolvolalum:

I see gay jeff and his "effected" buddy are out trolling today. Don't feed the trolls, Vol fans.

Thank you!!! WHY DO TRUE VOL FANS EVEN RESPOND TO THIS SILLY STUFF??? I mean, after a year or so I recognize their name until they change it and then it usually takes one time to say "Oh, thats ole so and so...and he's just changed his name....Have some self respect and if not for yourselves think about the rest of us on here who want good, solid, discussions about our team...not this SILLY, OBSURD, nanny nanny boo boo stuff that takes up my day slidding past it...

ronburgundy (Inactive) writes:

It's really fun to watch Stokes play to his potential. That guys a beast when he wants to be.

UTVolWarrior98 writes:

Look at you "strawberries & champagne" fans...celebrating a road win in the regular season against the worst team in the SEC. You guys just keep on backing Martin...you love mediocrity!

Jarnell is really starting to get a good feel for what he can and can't do on the floor. He is not ever going to be one of those quick-leaper types who is going to outjump guys for rebounds. He needs to capitalize on his size and strength to carve out space so the rebounds come to him. Two guys who I always think about in this regard were Wes Unseld and Larry Bird. Unseld was only about 6'6" but he weighed north of 270 and used his wide, low center of gravity, long arms, and great hands to be one of the top rebounders of his era. Bird was in some ways even more remarkable. He had neither great leaping ability nor Unseld's bulk and strength, yet he averaged double-figure recounds for his whole career. I used to marvel at the way the ball seemed to come to him like it was falling down a chimney with all the other arms a foot and a half higher all around him. He had an uncanny sense of positioning that allowed him to be directly under the ball when it came down, and he already had that exact area carved out by the time it did. I have really been encouraged by Jarnell's performance lately. I can hardly wait to see him on the floor with Maymon next year. The two of them should just own the boards against most opponents.

brokendownoldvol writes:

As bad as the SEC is this yr. this kid should dominate.

voloffaith writes:

in response to brokendownoldvol:

As bad as the SEC is this yr. this kid should dominate.

Not disagreeing,but two things need to happen for that to take place...1. need to have respectable outside shooting so they can't just pack it in on Jarnell and 2. if one is ok then need to have guards who can get him the ball down low properly. So it isn't as easy as some may think.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to MOD_4_MY_DAY_JOB:

ludicrous that you would call anyone a fool, crawl back under your rock