Volbound1700 writes:

in response to Vol43:

I was there. It was wonderful!

I was there as well. I got invited last second by a former co-worker who is a Vandy ticket holder. It was a lot of fun and shocking too because I thought Tennessee would lose.

underthehill writes:

in response to UkJarhead:

This rivalry always better when both teams are playing well. Glad the Vols are on a roll. We have boneheaded fans on both sides that say stupid things like Vols4Ever. Let's just enjoy the rivalry without all the hate. GBO

The rivalry is always better when both teams are playing well..and from the UT side ..was best in the Ernie and Bernie days..I hated and loved watching Davis last year..I knew I was watching the only player in the SEC I ever saw who could have more effect on the outcome of a game than Bernard..I hated that..but I was amazed at his talent..I been watching basketball on TV since TV was invented and the Ky team last year was the best they ever had..this Ky team does not have the experienced players last year's team had and it shows..still they are very talented and this game should be hard fought on both sides..I did not think UT had a chance before the Vandy game..I now at least think they have a chance..because they are going to think they have a chance ..this is different..

brod writes:

this was a good win. i don't care what the vandy crybabies say. good tempo on offense. good defense. not much more we can ask for. as golden and stokes go, wins and losses go. mcrae and richardson are pretty consistent. i'm not getting my hopes up. nice to sweep to commodes.

PHAT_VOL writes:

What a performance by the Volunteers!
Everyone played well and the team effort was a thing of beauty.
Just keep on keeping on.

8inarow writes:

Cuonzo Martin for SEC C-O-Y!

ktownorange32 writes:

in response to UkJarhead:

Mr 4Ever,

Cal- Never been accused or found guilty of breaking rules. One player was found to have cheated on SAT six months before he arrived on campus, while he was being recruited by other schools. Once it was found out he cheated, games he played in were vacated. Just happen to be a Final Four year. Next player took gifts from boosters. Cal found out and turned player in to the University which informed NCAA of violation. Again, that team just happened to be good enough to get to Final Four. So unfortunately two of his best teams that achieved these things had two men that cheated. Had it not been two Final Four teams, this wouldn't be as big a story. Again, please tell me how Cal cheated in these two instances.

Pearl- Had a recruit and his family at his house knowing it was a violation. He called recruits father and told him to lie to NCAA if they asked. He then lied to NCAA not once, but twice. He apologized while crying for breaking rules and lying. He was fired and received show cause and got his school put on probation. All of this is fact. Yet you call us cheats?Haven't even got to football and baseball team. You really need to do research before you speak, or type.

Every major sports netwrok, journalist, and anyone with an opinion will vouch for this. At the college level the coach of each respective program is responsible for the actions of the players he recruits. Whether Cal "knew" about it or not (which most of the nation besides you blue guys believes he did know and is the master of lying himself), he is responsible for evaluating players character traits and backgrounds when recruiting. When a coach signs a shady player over looking the bad stuff because he's a one year and done guy, the weight of the bad the kid does still falls on the shoulder of the coach, the face of the program. Please don't use the same excuse that everyone does, including some embarrassing situations here at UT, of blindly blaming the player. Look at USC, Pete Carroll "didn't know" either did he.... He was just smart enough to jump ship when he let it go to far.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to richvol:

The key to beating Ky is containing the white kid,can't recall his name,but he's a great shooter.

Your right Rich..Wiltjer had a career game against us last time..Hit every shot he threw up. That shrimp;punk guard Mays broke the game open hitting some back to back 3's also..Wiltjer had reduced minutes against FLA and was a non factor. Problem beating KY is we just don't match up well man to man on defense..They are just plain bigger and faster

MONGOloveSHERIFFbart writes:

in response to UkJarhead:

Mr 4Ever,

Hey bud I hate to break it to you but one of the reasons Memphis was stripped of its FF was because Cal was letting Rose's brother fly on the team plane for FREE. That's a no no. Much worse than giving a recruit a hot dog. Bruce lied and that was his downfall but don't you think for one instance that your coach and every other D1 coach isn't having juniors come to party's off campus. If you do believe that then you are more nieve than I ever thought.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

It's about the rivalry bonehead.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Great job preparing this team for playing in that pseudo bb arena..I've been hyper-critical of Martin this year, but I also am man enough to admit it when he does a good job. Great scoring and creating shots by Golden & McRae, Stokes played like a beast also.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to 8inarow:

Cuonzo Martin for SEC C-O-Y!

I understand the respect, he's undefeated against FU..

UkJarhead writes:

in response to ktownorange32:

Nice how you wrote a paragraph trying to explain how Cal cheated, with no proof, but not one word explaining Pearl's actions. You said some very good things, most of which I agree. But to act like a coach is 100% responsible for everything players do before they get to campus is insane and impractical. Again, to call someone a cheat, there needs to be proof. Not my opinion, not your opinion.... Fact 1- Cal has never been accused or found guilty of any wrongdoing. Fact 2- Pearl has been found guilty of wrongdoing. That is undisputed.

UkJarhead writes:

in response to MONGOloveSHERIFFbart:

I think it is hilarious how you Vol fans try to minimize what Pearl did and always say, "gave a kid a hot dog." First of all, I hope he was serving ribs and BBQ if he was trying to entice a kid to UT. Secondly, its not about the food. Its about a RULE. A rule is what you accuse Cal of breaking. Doesn't matter if you deem some rules more important than others. You are supposed to follow them. Let's assume Cal knew Rose cheated. I don't think anyone believes Cal took the test as Rose. So if he knew and turned his back, he broke a rule by not notifying the NCAA of a potential player cheating so that he could get him to play for him. How is that "worse" than inviting a family over, telling them to lie if they are asked, lying to the NCAA when asked about it, then lying again to the NCAA, school, and fans about the incident???? Are you serious? Either way, they have to follow rules. You can't call someone a cheat when you are in a bigger boat. Its just dumb.

8inarow writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I understand the respect, he's undefeated against FU..

Absolutely! That is why I nominated him!

hikerdude writes:

Good to win another on the road. Two things bothered me about the game. First, we do not handle the press well. That seems to me to be a coaching problem. Second, we let the shot clock expire twice on our end of the court. One was near the end of the game when we were milking the clck but the other was caused by failure to pay attention.

UKblue02 writes:

in response to Vols4Ever:

The poster may have good qualities. It is regrettable and unjust a young man has sustained an injury. May he recover completely and excel in the NBA.

If one is a True VOL fan, there are 2 things that should always occur:

1. Beat the Tide
2. Beat the Cheating 'Cats

Football is over and now the Blue arrive in our house. Never, ever should we have sympathy for that team as they have cheated forever and now, in their storied tradition, have another sleazeball as head coach. GBO!!!

Well V4E neither school is without scandal, so i'll leave it at that, i enjoy talking sports with other sec fans, an no school in this league is pure as snow, i understand your relationship with coach cal goes back to the memphis era and i understand that you dont like him..i for one do not want sympathy for the team...Its just a game.

bUTch_please writes:

2 turnovers 1st half, 9 for the game.

Zo VOLS!

ktownorange32 writes:

in response to UkJarhead:

No worries bud.... i still defend Pearl to this day. He just had the unfortunate luck of being the guy that got caught. EVERY coach in all the different sports divisions are guilty of something. It's just whether or not they get caught. Pearl got caught, Tressel got caught, Carroll jumped ship before he got caught, Kiffin is still getting caught, Gillespi (spelling?) got caught, that guy for the Hoosiers (forgot his name) got caught..... THEY ALL DO IT, even your precious Cal. Just cuz he pulls a Carroll and bails on a program right when stuff is coming to light doesn't make him innocent. I'm serious, you blue guys are the only ones in the nation that don't see him for the scoundrel he is. I hated him when he was at Memphis and I hated him at UMass so please don't mistake this for just a Orange v Blue argument filled with rivalry banter. Your statement is correct..... Pearl got caught, but under your logic if my wife kills me and dumps my body in lye and no one ever finds me.... she's not a murderer?

ktownorange32 writes:

in response to UKblue02:

And adding to this... We have no problem with Cal at Memphis..... Pearl owned him when he was at Memphis

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to UkJarhead:

Good luck without that starving/injured Ethiopian..UT should have their way down low this Saturday..GTH tucky & GBO!!

UkJarhead writes:

in response to ktownorange32:

Well she is not a convicted murderer..... Pearl would be in prison.

I agree, I'm sure many cheat. I can't say for sure Cal didn't know. However, the convicted murderer, Pearl and the UT fans, should not cast stones at the guy that has never been charged. When you have been convicted of cheating, in more than one sport in the recent past, you don't have much credibility calling someone else a cheater.

UkJarhead writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

You sir, are why the word "Moron" was invented.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to hikerdude:

Hiker,

Glad you mentioned the shot clock thingy.

Seems to me at least, with more than one coach on the sideline, someone might occasionally look at the time clock and remind the team "you have x number of seconds to get the shot off." I kept saying, "shoot the doggoned ball...." you might at least have a chance for the offensive rebound even if the shot isn't made.

The first one was pretty inexcusable. They just kept passing the ball around until time expired. The second one was with 5 seconds on the clock..........but before they had the inbounds pass, the shot should have been taken.

That's the only complaint I would have, because although people are down playing Vandy this year, as was mentioned.......it's a rivalry, so throw out the records when those teams play each other. It was a very encouraging performance by the Tennessee.

golfman1975 writes:

in response to punkin:

And your football team got hammered by a Big East/ACC team.

Get Scottie to beam you back up...wrong coordinates. Your mother-ship awaits you.

golfman1975 writes:

in response to ktownorange32:

(with conviction) Can't we all just get along!!!!!!!

MONGOloveSHERIFFbart writes:

in response to UkJarhead:

CAN YOU READ? I just said ONE of the RULES CAL BROKE was letting DERRICK ROSE'S brother FLY on the TEAM JET for FREE. That IS a RULES VIOLATION, and don't tell me CAL didn't KNOW he was FLYING with them.

kwcoach writes:

in response to VOLSnTITANS:

The Vols looked like a tourny team tonight. Stokes is now playing like the beast he is. I was really impressed with his passing out of the double team. Golden seems to be getting his game back. Really nice team effort. Always a pleasure sweeping the Dores. Now lets find a way to sneak into the tourny. GO VOLS.

While they did win, and that's great, the Vols do not and will not ever "look" like a tourney team. Their passing against the press in the last two games was still horrible. When they learn to throw a bounce pass they will look like a well coached team. I did, at least, see Stokes roll the right way on a pick-and-roll last night. I know it was only once and may have been a mistake, but I am pleased anyway.

UkJarhead writes:

in response to MONGOloveSHERIFFbart:

Please cite your source where Cal was charged with a violation. I can read what you type, but that don't make it true. If I type that you still live in your moms basement, is it true cause I typed it? PROOF..... Have you people ever heard of that??? Type in Bruce Pearl and you will see what PROOF looks like

brod writes:

this a ut chat board and a uk fan is posting more than anybody. who really looks like a moron, or jarhead?

UkJarhead writes:

in response to brod:

Well I am a Jarhead Brent. I also have been a poster here for many years. I have said many, many complimentary things to Vols and Vol fans when merited. I never start off with a negative remark. In this post, one of you started calling Cal a cheater, so I responded. I call it like I see it. Its a sports board. Trash talk is part of sports. Technology allows us to do this. I can go where I want to. Shouldn't you be in school? Its only 1:30.

jmaples54 writes:

in response to brod:

i seem to recall a vandy fan crowing just the other day about how great it is to be a dore fan. where is he now?

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to jmaples54:

If you're talking about the so-called Professional Handicapper, he's probably at a payday loan store to raise enough cash to cover his losses following yet another wrong prediction.

brod writes:

in response to UkJarhead:

very funny. i feel flattered that you choose us over louisville or indiana fans. those rivalries must be a little overrated. yes, you can go where you want. it's a free country, for now. florida, alabama, and uk fans love us. we like to argue amongst ourselves, must be entertaining to other fans.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to UKblue02:

I expected a tough game at your place even with Noel, now i'm not sure what to expect from our team without him, maybe they play better or maybe worse. UT seems to br playing better since they quit calling fouls on Stokes for breathing..anyway i hope for a competitive game from our guys.

I have no doubt UK will come out ready to play. Your 7-footer has had more time with the first team now, and the team may be more focused to show what they can do without Noel. Btw, best luck to Nerlens in his recovery. He seems like a class act. I hated seeing him get hurt the way he did.

Volunatic writes:

in response to hikerdude:

I agree that shot clock violations are awful, but in the Commode Odors' house, the shot clocks are not located in the usual locations like they would be in an arena with a normal layout. The TV commentators mentioned that a couple of times yesterday.

in response to volthrunthru#658770:

Did not see the game, but am delighted that Martin apprently has them on the mend as a team---and has found a way to get folks' attitudes adjusted.

2-road wins in a row for THIS team of VOLS!!!

Earlier this year that would have seemed more unlikely than the Pope's resigning. :)

Glad to see a coach on the UT payroll who can get his team facing the right direction and going forward without stumbling. Way to go Coach Martin!

Proud of you and the team. Keep up the good work...same to the players and staff...

Nice turnaround. Look forward to more good news. Tks to all...

This was a lot more fun to read than most of your posts on the football articles. I'm not saying that you don't have some decent points even in some of those, but I just have a hard time taking some of your gratuitous slams on the coaches. Yes, the administration has made some mistakes--they are all human after all. And even you would admit that Jones had a lot more going for him coming in than Kiffin or Dooley, though admittedly that would be faint praise. You have given Jones a hard time for his rhetoric trying to lift up the fan base. What would you have him say? "Well, shucks, I just couldn't turn down all this money, but I just don't see how I could ever win here. I don't see how ANYBODY could ever win here, now that you've run off Fulmer. I don't really want any good players, so I'm not even going to talk to them. My long-time assistants don't really know anything about football, but we all have fun together so I just thought I'd bring them along. That's all I've got to say, but thanks again for giving us all that money." Would that go over better with you?

in response to jdcdjc:

I couldn't get the game either here in Ga on TV, but watched on ESPN3 on my PC, with ESPN3 there are very few games I have to miss.

No question ESPN3 is a lifesaver. There were some spells when the picture got a little fuzzy, but it was watchable for the most part. There have been a couple of occasions when a game was not available on one of the ESPN channels here but it was nevertheless blacked out in my area on ESPN3. Since I live in North Carolina, I could never figure out why they would black out a Tennessee game here, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

Really? The "worst team Vandy has had" beat Arkansas, who before beat who again??

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to UkJarhead:

Thank you for your service...just remember what department you worked for...LOL

in response to hikerdude:

Everybody gets an occasional shot-clock violation. That's easier to do at Vandy since the shot clock isn't on top of the backboard and is in fact located at about chest-level, where it is hard for anybody on the court to see through all the bodies. I agree that the Vols need to come up with an actual plan that they can execute against a press. They still have several opponents coming up that press a LOT better than Vandy does. In short, they have to pass it rather than try to dribble it. The guys in the front court have to place themselves in the view of the ball-handlers. It is up to them to locate the gaps between the defenders so they are available for passes. If you don't have a safe pass, don't rush a bad one. If you get called for a 10-second violation, at least the other team has to take the ball out of bounds instead of running it down for a dunk. That kind of score off a press is worth more than two points; it fires up the team and their home crowd. You just have to be SMART about these things, but almost nobody will willingly take a 10-second violation even it is more likely that they will just hand the opposition a potentially game-changing play.

UkJarhead writes:

in response to usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it:

Thank you for your service...just remember what department you worked for...LOL

Anchors Aweigh Sailor. Thank you as well.

in response to illinoisvolfan:

I hate that for him, too. No question UK has enough talent left to win big if the Vols don't bring their A game. Nobody should overlook the "rally 'round the flag, boys" mentality. Remember UT-Kansas a few years ago?

lomas98 writes:

in response to underthehill:

You are 100% on that one..Wiltjer..I think..he is an amazing 3 point shooter..his height..6' 10..makes it easy for him to shoot over you once he gets the ball in position..his lack of speed is the only thing you got to help you keep him from getting the ball in position..he can carry the team against slower players..Fla was too fast for him to get his shots off..gotta hold this guy down..and don't get too excited about Nerlen not being with em..they still are very talented..gonna take an outstanding game to beat them..

Wiltjer has hurt us the last few games. He was big reason they won like they did last year at Rupp even with all of that talent. He is a tough matchup for us. This KY team is too talented to let one injured player ruin their season. I see the other future NBA players stepping up their game and this will not be easy. Would be shocked if Calipari doesn't start pressing from the beginning. TN will continue to turn the ball over in every game so hopefully we can continue to hit some shots and rebound. 18 points in either half against KY will be a loss.

UT4prez writes:

Great kudos to Stokes and Golden. Both guys have stepped up and helped lead to these road wins. Other than that 6 minute or so stretch in the second half they looked very good. It was the smartest basketball they've played all year. Good spacing, good ball movement, mostly good shot selection. I'm excited to see how they play this weekend. The NIT may be our future this year but they are a post season team for sure. At times it looks like Martin has promise and at times it looks eerily similar to the Dooley situation. Next year will be a make it break year for him, especially if Stokes returns and everyone is healthy.

I'm surprised we don't see more zone and press than we do. Hopefully we will keep getting better. All they have to do is get the ball to the middle of the zone whether it is half court or a full court press. Easier said than done but not as tough as they make it seem sometimes. Great win though. Go Vols!

kyvol98 writes:

in response to underthehill:

If you are not all over Wiltjer, he will light you up. Cannot lose him in transition either as he will pull up and knock down the 3.
Gotta give some props to West Jessamine's own Jarrod Polson. Good kid who has worked hard to get the PT he is getting.
We need to take it right at Cauley-Stein and get him riding the pine early.

UKblue02 writes:

in response to ktownorange32:

That is a fact kt..no doubt at it

tennisvol writes:

One of the best games for the Vols in a long time. Any time UT beats Stallings and Vandy, it's a good day in Vol country.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to kyvol98:

We need to take it right at Cauley-Stein and get him riding the pine early.

kyvol98,

Agree 100% about Wiltjer. U K and he are very much like Duke. It really seems those 2 teams are so in love with the 3 that they behave as though it's against the basketball rules, and is a sign of 'weakness' to drift inside the arch taking an old fashioned 2 point shot. To me, it is poetic justice when some of these teams launch it from at least 25 to 30 feet, and pay the price when the opposing team grabs the rebound, comes down and scores a 2.........hence a 5 point swing!

Noone has mentioned Hall. Was he hurt, or considered a liability to be on the floor? Just curious.

Kentucky is Kentucky. They still have
great talent and unless Tennessee plays in some similar fashion as they did with Vanderbilt, don't count the game as a W just yet.

That Florida - Kentucky game was a difficult one to pick a favorite.

Pick your poison.......Al Capone or Dillinger.

lemme_axya_this writes:

I wonder if the Ky. fan who offered Noel his wife for one night if he chose the Cats is feeling cheated now.

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to UkJarhead:

Well she is not a convicted murderer..... Pearl would be in prison.

Bobby Knight's insight on coach Cal: