voloffaith writes:

in response to chaos001:

Seven out of eleven. ;)

67 of 385 =17.9%

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

Throw all of these turnover stats out the window. The Vols just has to go out and excute. UK turned the Aggies over 20 times tonight. We have got to take of the ball period! We know no one can outscore the Vols (Ranked 5th in the country in offense I think) we just need to take care of the ball.

Theo writes:

Hmm, just a couple of thoughts on the defense topic. Definitely not where it needs to be. Regarding improvement. Obviously can't tell with the freshman. Burdick, Williams and Simmons look like, to me, their defense is better this year. Izzy just didn't play that much last year to know too much but she was doing a great job blocking shots. Massengale and Spanie? Taber looks trimmer and quicker but never going to be a stopper, same with Massengale. Don't want to say next year too much but, I think JJ and Carter can absolutely be stoppers.
Kyra Elzy was a great defensive player and I expect her to really be shaping some of these players to follow in her footsteps.
Does anyone know defensive potential for the kids coming in next year?

Theo writes:

So the Kats beat A&M. Didn't see it but it looks like they did a good job on Bone. Hope the LVs watch that tape.
Both UK and A&M now have two losses. Both still have to play LSU and UT. UK has three games left, A&M four. Not a thing settled at this point. Stay loose and play hard Go Lady Vols!

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

Glad Uconn lost. :) But CW and our assistant coaches can learn a lot about passing and defense from these two teams. I watched this game and was very impressed on the hard crisp passes and easy dump offs to the open player by both teams. Yes both teams had their share of turnovers but it was a chessmatch that Baylor won. I'm afraid if our coaches don't change the way we play Def. and practice how to make better passes , we are gonna see a lot of the same even with great players.
UK/Aggies - I believe we can take care of the Aggies the same way we beat Vandy. They turn the ball over more than Vandy and they have no 3 pt threat. You take Bone out of the game we win.
UK we get Mathis out of her rhythm and we contain Stallsworth. Mathis is foul prone. If we sit her on the bench we will be fine. First things first tame the Tiger and Warthogs.

ps11824 writes:

johnlg, "Negligence" maybe not the best word to use

There are teams on our schedule waiting to capitalize on our turnovers. A&M and Ky are not the only ones we should be so concerned with. One at a time, not looking ahead.

RLL59 writes:

in response to maxvolfan#217855:

Agree in all aspects. It's hard to see the Lady Vols beating either Baylor or UConn in the tournament.

A&M doesn't have as much talent as the Lady Vols, and plays the more traditional, patient defense. Stallworth completely outplayed Bone last night and Bashaara can do the same.

Kentucky plays an aggressive defense similar to the Lady Vols, but are better at it. Still, their defense allows many open shots, which should benefit the Lady Vols, especially Meighan.

in response to Theo:

UK won that game the way they win most of their games--turning the other team over, scoring off the TO's, timely outside shooting. Very impressive that they did that at TA&M. Bone had a little foul trouble and got dinged slightly at some point, but she had a solid game. A&M looks beatable by the LVs. UK will be tough up there, but the LVs can take them if they can keep their heads.

in response to ps11824:

johnlg, "Negligence" maybe not the best word to use

Actually, I sort of mistook your emphasis in your earlier post. You were talking about the unforced TO's on offense. I think the word "negligence" may well apply to some of those. Another poster noted how crisply Baylor and UConn passed the ball last night. Both teams were working really hard on defense, but the passers and catchers were mostly on the same page and there were fewer TO's than one might have expected. The only way the LVs can live with their defensive shortcomings against the better teams is to give themselves as many opportunities on offense as they can by taking better care of the ball. It also helps the defense if you don't give the other teams so many opportunities to run it out on you.

in response to RLL59:

The LVs need to attack the UK press to score. They need to be surer on their handle and MAKE the layups they get. Cutting the TO's would take away a lot of UK's offense as well as give the LVs more chances to score in the open court.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

I think Ariel is getting there. I have her as one of the best top 10 . She is calling her own number more and going to the basket. Against UK she or Williams should be the only ones to take it up the court unless Simmons or Spani has a clear fast break to the basket. Just what my couch coach mind thinks. I think we just turn the ball over by not having the right players with the ball going up the court at times and eliminate the long passes. Ok ill give the orange whistle back to the real coach. KNS please put out a new article. Need more reading material. Glory Jo is doing well overseas.

r2d2 writes:

in response to maxvolfan#217855:

I agree with your assessment of UCONN as a good defensive team. However, Baylor dropped 50 points on UCONN in the second half. The game would have been a blowout except for the play of Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and Baylor's slow start in the first half.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

in response to r2d2:

True KML was their only go to when Hartley got locked down and Dolson was getting harnessed. Uconn did have like 20 Tovrs . If Charlie Cremes brackets holds up we will get our chance at payback against ND and Baylor. I really like our chances having to play a possible Duke team without Gray( get well soon) and ND. Who knows we might even get a 2 seed. But right now the only team that can beat Baylor is the 2011 Aggie team with Danielle Adams. Lol They are just too good. Man we need Izzy back!

ps11824 writes:

I enjoyed watching the UConn vs Baylor game because I had no dog in the hunt. I don't have any sympathy for either team. Baylor looked rather lethargic at the onset and most of the 1st half, but they managed to stay within a BG long reach nevertheless. She seemed to be allowing herself to be pushed and clawed quite a bit before she decided to get mean. I believe her coach encouraged her somewhat to really throw her weight around. This, after the skirmish with Dolman. After that, Geno had a fight on his hands, but was able to hang close. Two very skilled, very well coached teams going at each other's throat.

As I watched I was wishing the Lady Vols were that disciplined. I do believe they have the talent. If not for injuries and a lack of discipline they could hang with either of those teams.

Mosqueda-Lewis (Sp.?) is a dynamic basketball player. She could play pro ball right now, IMO.

As for the A&M/Ky discussion, my 2 cents worth says we will need be scoring in the 50% range for 40 minutes and defending like we can, but haven't consistently to beat either. We can win by out rebounding, out hustling and taking care of the basketball.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

Guess who's 1st in FG% (51%) 4h in scoring and 6th in rebounding leading NCAA. Div 1 freshmen? Graves that's who! Frosh POY BABY!

Volinflan writes:

in response to maxvolfan#217855:

Stewart was No One rated recruit and Graves was third. Anybody remember who was 2 and 4. Just curious.

Stewart didn't look worth a hoot in last nights game. Both games were very entertaining. All four teams are giving other coaches nightmares. I think Tennessee could beat Baylor if they had Cain, Baugh and Brewer all in good shape. Then maybe we could send Phillips out there to grab Griner by the arm. Well then maybe not. She probably couldn't reach her arm. I just wasn't happy with the blatant arm grabbing foul. Still, a good night of watching because like someone already said, we didn't have a dog in either game. But we're gonna have to play some of those "dogs". Probably (we hope) three of them.

Volinflan writes:

I stand corrected, Graves was fifth. Stewart, Jefferson, Jones, Loyd, Graves.

Roxie writes:

So Simmons , we appreciate you girl. Thank goodness you try to score and do. A hundred other schools would love a 20+ point Scorer. Griner, Parker, Moore , Sims, all get as many points as they can. And are welcomed in doing so. You're never selfish, just determined to win.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

And ESPN analyst has Bashaara ahead of Stewert and Lloyd as Freshman of the year.

r2d2 writes:

in response to maxvolfan#217855:

Many teams has a x factor player ...that without them their team would probably lose a couple games. A Duke team without Gray is gonna struggle, Kelly Faris is the glue to Uconn, Sims tonight will be key, of course take the ball out of Diggins hands and ND loses. Tennessee is a team where anyone on the team can score or make a difference . I agree about playing defense and not allowing a player to dump 33 pts or 24 pts on us but in some cases that will happen. It's all about shutting down the rest of the team. You might not stop Griner from getting 25+ on you but if u can play tight D on Sims and hope the other players are cold you might have a chance.

I believe UCONN's x factor player is Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis or Stefanie Dolson.

in response to maxvolfan#217855:

Please tell us more. How is Glory doing and where is she? My local paper in Greensboro, NC has a weekly listing with the stats of all the players from the ACC or with NC connections in the NBA. I know the KNS has done that in the past with Vols in the NFL, but I don't think I have seen anything similar for former Lady Vols. It might be a bit harder, since American women play all over the world during the WNBA off-season, but it would be interesting reading for many fans, I'm guessing.