hikerdude writes:

John is 100% correct. Signing this guy would send the wrong message. Good article.

Bark_at_the_Moon writes:

We should hope this Cancer does go to another SEC Team and destroys them.

Ironcity writes:

in response to HooRay_Vol:

The Tide just booted four players. I don't think even they would give him another chance.

Let him watch the SEC games from inside Harvey Updyke, Jr's trailer.

The only reason those guys got booted was because they are not allowed to step foot on campus to take their classes, otherwise they would run steps. I had not heard they had been officially kicked off the team. Al I knew was they were not allowed on campus. Those are not the only guys at UA. Look they took the O linemen from UT who had all sort of problems. Had the dee Linemen shot at a club.

Fact is some guys eventually get it and some don't. I will leave it up to the coaches and the school to decide if he deserves another chance. I will trust their opinions.

strops writes:

little johnny journalism, set up a straw man football player and then show how smart you are by kicking it over. Give him another award.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to whatthe84:

This would be a big mistake for the new ooach. Bring in a proven bad character to take a shot at helping you win. What does that say about you and your plan, I say it speaks volumes. Why is Adams writing this story, thats easy the chatter on the net is pretty heavy about Dyer and where he might go and of course UT has been mentioned. Adams and a slanted opinion...its seems pretty obvious taking a guy like this would be a mistake to anyone how is that slanted? The way to build a program is to bring in good players who are quality and coach them up. Bringing in proven bad character guys sends a message to the recruits and their parents and would not help you as you are sitting in their livingrooms. You say you are not supporting thug ball but you then say bring on a proven dope smoking gun (twice) carrying thug to be inserted into a new program. Wow!

Just to spite Adam's, nothing more. I don't believe that every kid swmoking pot is the anti-Christ though..

Rumblefish writes:

How many years of eligibility does Dyer have left? 2?

If so, take him as a walk on, and let him EARN his scholership for his senior year AFTER demostrated good behavior.

laraccoon writes:

i think if our offensive coordinator has a little imagination with play calling that can go a long way in making up for what the vols might lack in talent at the running back position !

whatthe84 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

How about a pot smokin gun carrying bad character. Nobody mentioned the anti-Christ, but would you also want to bring in Maurice Claret if he had some elgibility left? He could have made a change or whatever and deserves a second chance. Would you want to drop that virus in the program and hope that it does not spread and destroy the foundation you are building. It appears that Auburn took the course you are suggesting and while they did win a championship it destroyed the foundation of the program that Chizik tried to build. Two years removed from the championship the program sank like the Titanic and from all we read it was because of no discipline. Bad character destroys your base and ultimately your program. I say give him time to do it the right way, don't cut corners establish a strong foundation set on solid hard rock decisions. Don't roll the dice on proven problem children. Don't sell our soul (so to speak) to the devil for a few quick fix wins. Don't kid yourself about a little pot smoking either that is a red flag for short sighted immature decision makers. Da'Rick, Janzen, etc. these guys can kill a locker room and you lose control of the program. Support doing this the right way, don't settle for cutting corners support CBJ and our high character players who stay out of trouble not the thugs. Tyler Bray was a problem the entire time he was in Knoxville. Sure he had talent but in the end we lost our butts while he was our QB. Only one bowl game in three years and it was a loss. In the end what was gained by putting up with his crazy behavior...not much really. In three years the only win of much fanfare was over NC State. Every big game we lost and usually by some crazy bad play or dumb decision by the coaches. No dice rolling, recruit good players who are good guys...do it the right way!

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

How many years of eligibility does Dyer have left? 2?

Not likely he has the $ to pay his own way, and with scholly offers likely from other schools including SEC, why would he anyway?

I, like many others, am tired of the 3* 175lb RBs passed over by every big school and recruited by the 2d tier schools (and us) who can't hit the line and make a hole or get arm tackled by the opponents' water boys. Wish we had a real SEC 4 or 5* game changer. We might have good RBs now who give it their all, and God bless 'em, but we have not had that great RB in many years.

Not sure if this guy could be our guy. Coach wants players with character. We'll see how he handles current players who screw up, and yes, there will be some. If this kid has been clean in Bible school, and he comes here with the understanding 1 strike and your out, is Coach going back on his commitment to have players with character?

If while wearing the Power T he runs over, thru or just out runs gators or bammers, and is clean for the next 2 years, bet he would be celebrated as a pivotal piece of the long awaited UT turnaround.

But if he smokes weed, does not attend class, passes within 2 blocks of a gun store, or anything else that does not meet the standards he was apprised of once he came aboard, see ya.

Rumblefish writes:

JA says: "Talented, troublesome players have a recent history of not working out at Tennessee..."

Guess what JA????---That happens at almost every other school! Name me a D1 program that hasn't had a player(s) in trouble??

Lizardgrad89 writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Why was having a gun in the trunk necessarily wrong?

Probably enjoined from carrying a gun while on probation.

ClearVol writes:

in response to tdvol1989:

Well, this topic I know about. I know Michael. I watched him play for 3 yrs in high school where my kids go. I presented him an award at a banquet. I warned him and his guardian uncle about staying clean on Saturdays, then getting paid on Sundays. He failed. And it's the same story for many who come from nothing. They are ill prepared to handle fame and success. But in Michael's case, it is important to note his issue is going along with the crowd. Anytime, he got in trouble, he was being influenced by others.

My point is if you met him, you would think he was a good guy. And if Butch wants to consider him and met him, I think he would be inclined to give him a chance. Dyer is not an instigator. He gets advice and influence from all directions.

And I can personally vouch for the experience he is getting from Arkansas Baptist. I have personally heard Dr. Fitz Hill speak and he has resurrected that school. He literally recruits students personally out in the community about changing their lives. Michael has been surrounded by people trying to help him.

So, I say this situation is unique. I would rather burn a scholly on a 5* talent than another 3* 4.65 40 guy. All Butch has to do is get Lott and Jay on him and assign Michael a mentor. Butch seems like a family coach. That is a good situation for Dyer. I disagree with John here. Each situation is unique. If it were me, I would sign him without hesitation.

Unfortunately, this type of unhealthy empowerment starts at a young age for many gifted athletes. They are repeatedly shown that they do no have to play by the rules that everyone else plays by. Whether it is making good grades, going to practice our using good common sense (concealed weapon in the trunk), we see "excuses" made for these kids and they learn that they have a "pass" because of those God given talents... This is all good until its too late, someone gets hurt, or arrested or killed OR until they're luck or talent runs out..
Don't empower, teach responsibility!

formerflgranny writes:

First, I think Dyer should be allowed to visit and let him meet adams face to face and then make a decision on if he would be a good fit at Tennessee.

in response to tdvol1989:

That is a very interesting perspective and one worthy of consideration. However, that backstory would be spun in the national media, and I daresay by a significant portion of the UT fan base, as hypocrisy on the part of a "character-driven" program, just as Adams says. One can find proof for almost any kind of position in the Bible, especially in regards to forgiveness and turning one's life around, but it also says that people of character should "shun the very appearance of evil". So it basically comes down to whether a program is willing to risk the appearance of hypocrisy or low standards in order to sign one HECK of a player with a somewhat checkered past. I would LOVE to have a guy with Dyer's talent on the Vol squad, but I see where Jones is coming from on this, and it is HIS decision to make.

in response to mikclark47:

What about that drunk Colquit punter that hit parked cars? He got several chances.....

He might not have gotten all those chances under Jones, who is trying to establish a program in HIS image. I see the arguments either way, but Jones has to make--and live with--his own decisions. Let's allow him to do that and see what happens down the road.

papavol writes:

Why would we need a RB when we already have the "three-headed monster" of neal, lane and young?? The trifecta of RBs... Seriously though, I think Lane and Neal were much improved and will hopefully continue to improve under the guidance of Graham. Plus, this sets us up pretty well for 2014 RB recruits such as Jalen Hurd. Bottom line, we have a couple of solid guys with game XP and we don't need any more thugs.

in response to claiborneh:

Adam's point is that Tennessee cannot afford to be a "third chance" candidate. So, which school can afford it? One with a coach who does not preach "character?" Where is this ideal school? If third chances are an intolerable sin, then when, where, and under what circumstances is the situation unique and an exception warranted? Adams did not delve there. Without these details, Adams judgement is awfully black and white? Maybe the judgement call should be more, say, orange and white.

I think Adams is just saying that there may well be SOME program out there willing to take the inevitable heat to sign a potential game-changer, but UT under Jones is not that program. Any fan can take any position they like, but Jones seems determined to build the kind of program HE wants. It is up to him to live with the consequences of the decisions he makes and it is up to us as fans to let him do that. Then at least Jones will stand or fall by doing it his way rather than by bowing to pressure from a segment of the fan base to compromise on what he SAYS are his principles.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

The bottom line is this..........as has been mentioned previously. It's a loaded subject and everyone is entitled to their opinions with regard to Dyer.

This however is a fact. For some time, Tennessee has been in sore need of a battering ram, difference making power running back, one who has an affection for running over people and not hitting the line, stopping, and going east and west for no gain etc.

There are many big and powerful backs in the high school and J C ranks, and to me at least, it's been a mystery as to why the Vols have not found or even pursued them.

And, as Johnlg just stated, our opinions not withstanding, it isn't our call. It is up to the coaches to make any right choices as best they can, for the University of Tennessee.

( Still stick to my opinion of the 'hack' sports writer however. )

gogovols2002#222335 writes:

in response to tdvol1989:

Disagree. Signing Dyer would be sending the wrong message to recruits and counter what Butch Jones is trying to do...It was not that long ago that schools like Oklahoma & Oregon were taking UT disciplinary rejects. I want to to see those days restored.

in response to laraccoon:

That is certainly a possibility. It is possible to have a possession running game even with less talent in the O-line and at RB than the Vols have at present. That may be what they will try to do unless we get some pleasant surprises from our new QBs and receivers.

Supersayin1 writes:

in response to leedsvol2007:

Then question then becomes can he say no when others approach him to get involved in situations he should avoid.

UT is a vibrant campus and Knoxville is a large enough city for plenty of opportunities for falls from grace.

At this point we are trying to rebuild our program and that includes it's image. As good as Dyer is, and he broke Bo Jackson's freshman rushing mark as a Freshman as well as rushing for over 100 yards against Oregon in their National Championship game, he is not likely to make us a championship contender.

We have 2 good players in Rashad Neal and Marlon Lane and with the proper use of them they should make us competitive.

I don't often agree with John Adams but I think he is right on this one at this point we cannot afford to take a chance on an individual that has not to date been able to make the right decision on behavior when pressed to do wrong by friends.

He needs to find a smaller college with support and get himself in order. If he does the NFL will find him.

We need to find an outstanding back that we do not have to worry about to augment the talent we have in Neal and Lane.

GoVols!

Sorry to tell you the truth, but we do not have two good RB's! We have two average Big East type RB's tat have yet to break long runs for TD's or make game changing plays against any Big names or even small fries!

So again what two good RB's are you watching? Because Lane and Neal are not them.

Also it doesn't matter how they have been coached (Jay Graham) they don't have whats needed to even be compaired to elit or even very good SEC RB's!!

They take run into piles, and even when they have open field, they either can't make the jump cut or simply chose to run right into tacklers arms instead of taking it for even more yards or to the house for TD's!

Also looking at them when they are open they lack any type of speed to get away and any type of power to break tackles!!

We need Dyer because he would start immediately and get us the big plays we need on a consistant basis!

We claim we want character kids, and we see what that got us? Bama,UF,LSU,UGA have moved up and we have took major steps back!! Sorry but BYU type kids won't win in the SEC, and they won't win Titles either!

It's Character vs Questionable = Wins vs Barely winning. But you guys would rather win a few times and barely make bowl games with good kids than win alot and make championships!

Sorry but character kids aren't what got Alabama 3 strait national titles believe it or not!

Supersayin1 writes:

Ask yourselves this: UT and CBJ passes on him,and he goes to Western Kentucky. Dyer rips our Defense for 160+ and break a couple long runs of 40+ for TD's.

Yet our 2 RB's combine for 120 at best, with no long TD runs.

Dyer makes a long TD run that wins the game for WKU,then how would you feel?

CoverOrange writes:

in response to Lizardgrad89:

Probably enjoined from carrying a gun while on probation.

probable. Just wondered if anyone had the details of charges/convictions from the first incident to shed light. JA doesn't let details get in the way of his story tellin'.

MetroplexMojo writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Why was having a gun in the trunk necessarily wrong?

Dyer did not face legal punishment from the gun in the trunk. Dyer got booted from A-State because he lied to his coach about the drugs.

KevDVol writes:

So, his teammates used his gun and on another occaision his gun was in his trunk in his backpack. Was he involved in the robbery? Did he consent to having his gun being used in the commission of a crime? What do our coaches from Auburn know about him? If being young and stupid was a crime...

I'm not saying we should pursue the kid, but John Adams is not our recruiting coordinator nor is he judge, juror and executioner of Knox County. Our coaches are bound by their consciences, NCAA rules, Tennessee law and federal law...and wins and losses. If the kid leaves his unlawful gun(s)/ways behind, forgiveness is not beyond me. GO LBJ! Go VOLS!

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

in response to Supersayin1:

Agree with some of your points, bring him in if he wants to play SEC ball again, but.....he does not get the same leash others get. One bad incident, gone.

That may be what Coach does with the others too, but seems there should be a case by case approach to others who came here 'unblemished.' If he still wants to be a thug after he sees what UT has to offer, see ya.

I believe a few busts for 50 yeards up the middle after breaking 2 or 3 tackles (how long has that been since we had that at UT) or streaking 80 yards down a sideline against a ranked SEC team (and not w ky, ga state or akron) would cause some of these church ladies to quietly cheer him and the VOLS on as the rest of the 100K (yes, we could fill Neyland again) roared our approval.

But again, he comes in knowing he is 1 and done, and not the type of 1 and dones calipussy brings each year to uk.

Big_Orange_Aide writes:

Dyer has been clean for the last year; it doesn't seem that he has a bad attitude just bad decision making that can be corrected. Our offense this next year will be run, run, run, pass as we break in a new starting quaterback; our backs from last year are good but not exactly big and powerful for what we will need. Let the coaches decide; I say take the chance on Dyer. We will need more choices to choose from in case of injury. DYER wear the Orange!

RashaadSalabeb writes:

I have no problems with the Coaches giving Dyer a chance if they think he deserves one. We don't know all of the facts and sometimes things aren't what they appear. If he don't live up to his agreement you can always cut him loose. If they don't want to risk it....well that's ok too.
Go Vols!

VOLSONTHECOMEBACK writes:

You guys that are dogging our current running backs need to get your facts straight. Rajon Neal and Malin Lane were both 4 star highly rated running backs in high school and both weigh over 210 pounds. Rajon Neal also runs track for UT and electronically got clocked at a 4.36. That's as fast or faster than any elite running back in the SEC. Rajon Neal averaged 4.5 yards per carry and Marlin Lane averaged 5.5. I agree with you that our production in the running game is not near as effective as it should be. However, it improved nearly 60 more yards per game than 2011. I think the biggest problem is that both our offensive line and running backs have not been consistent. There is no question that our O-linemen are elite pass blockers, but they have struggled against elite competition opening up running lanes. Our running backs have also showed times of greatness and times where they looked like freshmen in high school. Our running backs need to take advantage of the holes that are open rather than trying bounce outside and make a 70 yard touchdown. This is the SEC. You can't make a living bouncing to the outside in hope that you will outrun an NFL defensive end and outside linebacker, unless you're Chris Johnson. You guys need to stop dogging our running backs until you get your facts straight. It's not just our running backs. Our offensive line has struggled also.

vol98champ writes:

From Adams perspective we are darned if we do and darned if we don't. He and Climer will be negative on something the next time we go undefeated. Sure wish they would realize that the great writers looked for positive things to write.

Shake_Bake writes:

in response to VOLSONTHECOMEBACK:

Very good post, and an honest and fair assessment of our running game! IF the O-Line can improve their run blocking, I think Neal and Lane will do a good job for us.

To be honest, I'm more concerned about our passing game. New QB's and new receivers, ...will they get in sync?? I hope so! GBO!!

TommyJack writes:

agree 100% with adams.

DonK37920 writes:

Agree! One thing that Dooley actually did well was cleaning up the embarrassment the football team had caused us off the field in the previous couple of years. After the armed robbery incident at Pilot, I am for telling anyone involved in a gun crime to take a hike. Dooley did a good job of creating the VFL program and I expect Butch Jones to carry on that and make us proud of our team both on and off the field. If we have to take criminals to win, it's not worth it!

Vol43 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Excellent post. I completely agree. Let's let Coach Jones make this determination. Whatever he decides, I'll go with it. I trust coach to make the right decision.

Supersayin1 writes:

in response to papavol:

Please pu down whatever you are smoking!! Three headed Monster??? Not on their best days!! Those guys combined can barely scrap up what Dyer can do against any SEC Defense!! Our guys have been here how long and yet they still are average at best compared to even Bama or UGA's freshmen RB's!! So please kill that noise or watch Neal,Lane,and Young play more closesly because none of them ever presented any threats to any defenses let alone SEC Defenses! I love that they wear orange with pride, but it doesn't make up for the lack of talent they have compared to a Dyer,Crowell,Yeldon,Lattimore,Lacy,or Gurly!! Wake up!!

jt45 writes:

I wish the Vols would sign a power RB, that is all.
As a fan its the results on the field that I look at not how fast they drove or how many guns they own or if they inhaled like one our nations finest. Character is built over time and most of these star athletes havent had the benefit of hindsight yet the way some of the posters here have have. Its easy to pass judgement when your older and wiser.
The risk involved might be too high for UT and CBJ but he might just be the one who could pull it off. Either way it is his decision and fans should be supportive regardless.

Supersayin1 writes:

in response to VOLSONTHECOMEBACK:

Screw the numbers or better yet compare thme to Dyers!! What good is all the numbers if they cant break game changing runs against elite SEC or any SEC Defense?? Not once have they broke for 40+ runs for TD's!! Also they continue to run into tacklers arms instead of bouncing outside to break for even more yards or long TD runs. Also even when they have bounced outside and got the sideline, they lacked the speed to outrun anyone for TD's like most great SEC backs do!! I can care less how great their numbers are against Troy or some other sun belt team, lets see them average long runs consistantly against SEC Defenses, and lets see some game chaning TD runs to go with it. They just aren't SEC RB's plain and simple!! Why chew up yards running the clock if you aren't gonna bust one for a TD to help win the game?

They would be great in the Big East or some conference below that, maybe the ACC at best, but not in the SEC! Both are soft, and lack the speed,agility,toughness,strength,and vision to be great SEC game changers! Numbers don't mean squat unless they have been game changing in our favor!

Supersayin1 writes:

in response to HopeisNotaCourseofAction:

Good post and good points!! 1 issue and he's gone!

dragon18 writes:

in response to formerflgranny:

That is making the assumption that it really matters or that we even care if Adams approves or not.

Personally, I don't bash Adams, but he's a sports editorial writer and not a decision maker for UT or the community.

dragon18 writes:

in response to VOLSONTHECOMEBACK:

I'm with you 100%! Sadly facts are not often taken into account here. I say let's play with what we've got unless a player without (known) issues comes along that can help.

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

in response to VOLSONTHECOMEBACK:

Dogging our RBs? Yes Lane and Neal are 4*, but point is the last 2 years recruiting brought in three 3* RBs, 2 of which are 180 lbs or less. That's our depth, hopefully not our future. And your point about bouncin vs hittin the holes, if the holes are there, is correct. The great RBs know the difference and make the right decisions early. How many times the past several years did we have 3d and 1 or less and punted? Many reasons for that, but if we had the big stud RB who can break a tackle or make his own 1 yard gain, it could have been fewer punts and more sustained drives.

And yes, Oline struggled, Dline struggled, QB struggled, LBs and DBs, coaches certainly struggled. All that strugglin got us 3 losing years in a row.

New coaching staff, maybe strugglin will be on decline.

Just sayin we have not had a 'great' RB in a long time and did not see anything great the past 2 years added to the roster while other teams pull in multiple 4/5* each year. Not doggin, just statin facts. if this staff had more than 32 days to recruit a top RB, bet it would have been different, maybe next year.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to DonK37920:

Dooley was all talk when it came to "cleaning up the program" He didnt do anything different than any other coach at UT. He recruited kids that had been in trouble. He recruited kids that couldnt make it academically He let star players run the show and gave them more chances. That was one thing that got to me with the "Dooley can do no wrong" crowd. They tried to make Dooley out to be some big Disciplinarian when the facts dont show it.

spvol writes:

in response to Volfrombama:

Let he without sin cast the first stone....

That would be Adams.

dirty_don writes:

in response to Supersayin1:

Here are the actual stats from last year:
VS Alabama:
TENN: Marlin Lane 15-55, Devrin Young 5-21
lane 3.6 ypr young 4.2 ypr
That is a first down if you keep running, Neal had no carries

VS South Carolina:
TENN: Marlin Lane 15-56, 3.7 ypr once again neal had no carries

VS Georgia:
TENN: Rajion Neal 23-104, Cordarrelle Patterson 3-55, Marlin Lane 8-22, Devrin Young 3-14
Neal 4.5 ypc, lane 2.75 ypc, young 4.6 ypc

VS Florida:
TENN: Rajion Neal 23-87, A.J. Johnson 2-5, Marlin Lane 1-1

Neal 3.7 ypr

That is against the 4 best defenses we faced in the SEC. If we had an OC that was as determined to run the ball as he was to throw it, we would have alot more carries than that and may have won a couple of those games. Cheney was a throw 1st OC and always has been who abandoned the run at the 1st no gain. You cannot do that and play smashmouth SEC football. I blame most if not all our running problems the past years on him.

Your top RB should get at least 25 carries a game and hios backup at least 12. That keeps your defense off the field and eats clock and wins games. Look at our national championship year and almost anyone else's and you will see this is true.

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

in response to VOLSONTHECOMEBACK:

One last point and "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey used to say.

Our RB numbers average per carry you provide are a little misleading. For example, as a team we only had 83 rushing yards vs uf, 79 vs ua, and 91 vs usc, all losses of course.

But we had team numbers of 184 rushing tards vs ga st, 188 vs troy and 232 vs mighty akron, all wins, albeit against the cupcakes.

So those averages are inflated vs the nobodies, and against the top teams we had squat. And oh yeah, Patterson had double figures in rushing in most of those games so these were not just Neal and Lane totals. Oline part of it - you bet.

Just sayin.

DonK37920 writes:

in response to orangeman1:

I understand he didn't take care of all problems but I do like the VFL program. Most would think that Saban runs a tight ship and is a disciplinarian also until last week. Hey no one can clean up everything. I did however feel our program was less rogue under Dooley than under Kiffin or the last few Fulmer years. The Pilot incident, Guns, Drug Dealing etc.. was far less prevalent or tolerated under Dooley in my view. I wasn't saying "Dooley can do no wrong" just saying he made me more proud of our team off the field after implementing the VFL program. And I was saying we don't need criminals to transfer here.

laraccoon writes:

in response to dirty_don:

Here are the actual stats from last year:
VS Alabama:
TENN: Marlin Lane 15-55, Devrin Young 5-21
lane 3.6 ypr young 4.2 ypr
That is a first down if you keep running, Neal had no carries

VS South Carolina:
TENN: Marlin Lane 15-56, 3.7 ypr once again neal had no carries

VS Georgia:
Neal 4.5 ypc, lane 2.75 ypc, young 4.6 ypc

VS Florida:
TENN: Rajion Neal 23-87, A.J. Johnson 2-5, Marlin Lane 1-1

Neal 3.7 ypr

I totally agree , people raved about Chaney and that bewildered me .

formerflgranny writes:

in response to dragon18:

True, adams should never have a say if UT offers a player or not nor did I mean that he should give his approval.

I am sorry you missed by drift.

dirty_don writes:

in response to ALWAYS_TIME_2_TROLL:

Who should Cuonzo have dumped from the team? He suspended Kenny Hall last year for the last 10 to 15 games for some reason that nobody except the team and Cuonzo knows. You just want him to dump someone for the hell of it?

RickyVols writes:

The business of TN football is about winning. A running back like Dyer could be the difference between winning or losing 2 or 3 games and we don't have a back like that right now. If he screws up, get rid of him right away. Most SEC players are not choirboys. We need to compete with Alabama, FL, etc. Drop the illusions that character matters more than winning and that most fans would prefer to lose than to give a potential difference maker a chance. The character of our players does matter, but we shouldn't sacrifice a chance at a top RB like this. Take a chance, sign him ASAP.