CoverOrange writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Good point, CO..It also helps to be controversial and bring in huge amounts of responses and debates. I don't think UTH realizes that bad publicity is welcome as much as good publicity..It's still publicity either way..

Xactly. Though not sure I can translate "UTH." Right now I'm being annoyed by constant Citibank's Citi Simplicity flashes and some asian lady reading week old news again and again and again.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Oh, those are initials for under-the-hill..Not really sure why you would want to be under the hill, opposed to being on top of it??

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Every site online and in the cable packages thinks it is ok to take over the screens of America and the world!!!! Now I think about so do the magazines. I remember watching a reality TV competition show on TV that had something in every corner of the screen DURING the program. You could not see the program. I admit it's usually just the lower right corner that just tells you the channel and sometimes what's coming up next day or next week. I don't watch TV anymore. If it has any logo at all or any ads I change the channel till I can find a ad free one. Needless to say I spend my tv time switching channels.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Have you read the "Hobbit" ? Or "Lord of the Rings"? Mr. Underhill I do believe your little disappearing tricks have alerted our enemies.lol

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

I read the Hobbit in HS back in the late 70's..Also, weren't the teletubbies under a hill?

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I think I've heard of teletubbies.

anyhow Go Vols!!! got to try to stay on subject somewhat.

jmaples54 writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Had a nervous break down (as it was termed then) in 1977 and never really recovered.

this was right during/after bernard king's problems. bernard had his youthful moments and he could have flamed out after a spectacular college career. if you don't remember him, imagine having a superquick, instinctive rebounder and versatile scorer, unstoppable by anyone. imagine tennessee having a first team all american
ernie was a second all american, and he was unstoppable too- large body, smooth, great outside shooter as well as inside moves.
ernie was a good leader, while bernard led with his play.
but it was bernard who was getting in trouble, much of it hushed up during his career. so what a tribute to the man that he continued his excellence in the nba. he was both player of the year and comeback poty (after serious knee injuries). by all accounts his post-playing career has been admirable. his public reconnection with the ut program, aided by cbp, has once again endeared him to the vol nation.
i don't know the extent of mears's mental health issues. he mostly stayed out of the public eye after retiring. he will be remembered as the greatest of tennessee men's basketball coaches.

exlineman writes:

Coach Martin should post this kns article on the board and keep someone glued to Turner the entire game, preferably someone with outstanding defensive skills. It would be great to have a backup from the bench for this chore as the fouls will come in trying to wear Turner down. Some very good post put on here today, appreciate some of the info, as I didn't know the story on Austin East even though that goes back along way with me. I really liked the way Coach Mears used to stir up Peabody and the Cats before a game. He was a smart coach and knew how to disrupt his opponent long before a game started. Go Big Orange.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

I think I've heard of teletubbies.

anyhow Go Vols!!! got to try to stay on subject somewhat.

If you had small children in the late 90's you would know exactly what I'm talking about..Back on topic..GBO!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to exlineman:

Great post..I remember Joe B Hall afraid to meet Ray Mears after Ernie Bernie destroyed the cats in SAC..Such fine memories.

exlineman writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Thanks, B Beare, always enjoy your posts, as well as some of the other true Big Orange Fans.

in response to jmaples54:

ernie was a good leader, while bernard led with his play.

Thanks for providing that bit of history for those on here too young to remember those days. I had the privilege of meeting Mears on more than one occasion for lunch in the cafeteria on the street-level of TBA many years after he had retired. I saw him in there one day, walked up and introduced myself, and he invited me to sit down.

I learned that he had suffered from bipolar disorder for a number of years before he was diagnosed. No doubt the strain of dealing with a mercurial personality like King and handling the pressures of a suddenly nationally-prominent program aggravated it, but he had shown signs before, being capable of periodic bursts of blazing energy alternating with less obvious intervals of depression. When I knew him, he acknowledged that he had maintained a more even keel since he was put on appropriate medication, but his manner was always more subdued than most would recognize if they only knew him when he was stalking the sidelines in his orange blazer, driving Joe Hall and Roy Skinner and Dale Brown crazy.

He mostly avoided the spotlight after his retirement but he kept up with what was going on at UT and understood his role in creating much of what was good about UT basketball. Shortly after that period when I knew him, I left the area and shortly after that he died. I was grateful for the time and attention he gave me. I was nobody, yet he was kind enough to indulge me when he could have been almost anywhere, talking to almost anybody. I will always treasure those memories.

jt45 writes:

McBee has no chance playing man to man on turner. CCM needs to find a better matchup for turner before they lose this one. Hope the shooting gets better in the second half.

sunglaspro#374094 writes:

in response to Tadvol:

The reason Elston Sr was never contacted was the fact that AE had trashed Stokely after a loss to arch rival Fulton in about 1970 .. UT held a grudge against that school for years !!

Had forgotten about the Stokley incident. I think Turner may have changed UT's thinking because we did sign Rob Jones and Gerald Hyatt shortly after missing out on Turner.

Vols4Ever writes:

in response to jt45:

Looks like he did pretty well.

What a gut check and big win.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

That Turner kid sure can play..Too bad he's sulking in the locker room with a big "L" for his trouble..Great job Vols, this was a tremendous win on the road against a quality opponent..GBO!!

VolGrad writes:

This one was very stressful... until about the 2:30 mark of the 4th OT.

A real gutsy performance and a great victory on the road.

GBO!!!

in response to sunglaspro#374094:

That's right, they did. However gauche the behavior of some A-E students in that incident, that seems like a lousy reason to pass on recruiting a skilled local star. I rather doubt Elston, Sr., was involved in that; doesn't seem like his style, then or now.

askjeff writes:

in response to Tadvol:

Sad but true, soon after TN signed Bert Bertlekamp who was a solid player for the Vols but nothing compared to Turner.

fratricide08 writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

What the heck is a Vawl? Is that Westernese? Some lame attempt to mimic Georgia? And if you're laughing with nothing to show for it, which it appears you are, then you obviously lack the intelligence to criticize others. BTW, how'd that game work out for you?

fratricide08 writes:

9willbesofine, I was wondering why you sounded so obnoxious so I checked out your posting history. You're the worst type of fan troll in that your 'support' for UT's opponents makes other fanbases who have no affiliation with you look bad.

Seek professional help before you go and get yourself into trouble by poisoning someone's trees.

RockVegas writes:

in response to wigmeister:

Nothing new here. TN coaches in a lot of sports have ignored the local talent. Still the same today!

You are right on point,and it's funny to me that you said that because it was a couple of kids from Gadsden,Ala I know who signed with Kentucky a few years back.They got to know R.Cobb well,and came to Knoxville with him a few times,and they was telling me how good of a guy he was,and how they respected him so much.The Million Dollar question came,Why didn't he go to Tennessee it's not even 15miles away,I replied ask him...LOL.I didn't want to get into all of that but as many Championships as the local teams win every year you would think it would be local talent at almost every position,just saying...GBO.

UTvols33 writes:

I came in during the Houston era, so I don't know what happened in the 70's, but this article seems kind of silly to me. Not sure if this is a UT page or an A&M site. : /

sunglaspro#374094 writes:

in response to UTvols33:

If you missed out on Elston Turner in the day, just think of Randall Cobb 30 years earlier and in basketball. He was that good.
An article like this just makes us old timers reflect on what could have been.
If Cobb had came he here things might have been different then they are now.
Who knows

in response to sunglaspro#374094:

An article like this just makes us old timers reflect on what could have been.
If Cobb had came he here things might have been different then they are now.
Who knows

IIRC, UT's kick/punt-return game was in a prolonged dry spell while Cobb was at UK. If the returns had been a WEAPON for the Vols instead of a weakness they constantly had to try to hide or overcome, they might have won a few more games and Fulmer might even still be here!

sunglaspro#374094 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Yeah, we didn't have a lot of play makers on offense either and he might have given us a little versatility like Patterson did.
Recruiting local kids is kinda dicey I guess. Seems like for every local kid I can think of that made a big impact somewhere, I can think of a few more that really didn't. Fans only seem to remember the ones that got away.
A lot of people here in Sevier County still grumble about Eric Brakins ending up at Michigan because UT didn't show much interest.