in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Remember John, these are very young athletes..We could play pick-up bb all day when we were that age..GBO!!

When I was an undergrad, I played in a tournament at Belmont College for Baptist Student Union teams from most colleges in the state. We had only six players on our team, one of whom was NO kind of player. One of our guys who COULD play had a late lab on Friday afternoon, so we had to drive from K'ville to N'ville on Saturday morning to play our first game at 9:00 AM local time. We then had to play another game at 1:00 PM and the championship game at 8:00 that night. I played every minute of three complete 40-minute college games on a regulation court in one day. Oh yeah, we won the championship, 92-91 in overtime. I slept REALLY well that night!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to vol98champ:

When we were up 41-37 and began the turnover derby I figured it was over, but this team appears to have grown up right before our eyes. Had to watch on ESPN3 and it was hard to see why so many TO's in the last 15 minutes of regulation. Looked like at least 2 of Golden's charges were blocks, but over all a well called game.

You're right, even the commentators were perplexed by that one charge call..I also agree that the calls were mostly made correctly throughout the game and didn't affect the outcome like some arenas in the SEC are renowned for.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I knew there was something special about you..Good job, John.

RashaadSalabeb writes:

How bout dim VOLS?! They are back! Great effort guys....great effort Coaches! That's what I'm talking about! Who day, Who day, Who day say gonna beat dim Vols?! Who DAY?

FIGHT ON YOU MIGHTY VOLS!!!!!!!

secondcreek writes:

A lock for the NIT at 16 wins, four more guarantees an NCAA appearance.

in response to orangecountyvols:

Vols,

First off, I guess I'm actually glad the LSU - Bama game went the 3 OT's because that's when the Vols weren't doing so well. BTW, the curse of the 2nd game of a double header on the same network did it's thing again. They didn't join our game in progress until 3:44 left in the first half.

That was as gutsy a game as you'll see. U T has had the hot hand in the SEC for a while now, and are riding a wave of confidence. We may not see quite the same performance against the lizards as we did with the one and dones, but it might be very similar.

Hard to fuss at Stokes for not icing the game with free throws but he did other things well.
McRae? Making a dagger of a 3 pointer to afford us one of those OT's.......yet making some costly turnovers. When they put the ball on the floor in the paint, that's a recipe for disaster, usually. Hats off to the refs for reversing some calls on out of bounds plays.........but some of those charges were curious calls.

All in all, an awesome and gritty performance. You have to wonder how far Stokes, McRae, and Golden can carry us. McBee is stepping up in the clutch, so count him as the 4th guy. We need scoring off the bench and steady play handling and passing the ball. A + effort guys !

For some odd reason, the SEC network affiliate here in Greensboro carried the entire Vol game, though as you say, the first two-thirds or so of it weren't all that much fun for a Vol fan to watch. TREMENDOUS guts to win after such a horrid start. That would have sunk this team a month ago.

Good game analysis, BTW. For any research freaks out there, when was the last time the Vols had three 20-point scorers in the same game? Seems like it must have been awhile.

Theo writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Fun trip down memory lane John. Why is it we can remember every detail of a basketball game so many years ago and then forget what we were supposed to pick up at the grocery? Lol.

Ironcity writes:

Really great effort. I can't get over the difference a couple of weeks makes. For those who never understood Goldens value to this team, they need to step up and apologize for some of the stupid comments made. He is not a prototypical PG but man he is not only by far the best PG on this team but he really is the MVP for this team. When he is in a funk we saw what this team looks like. Kudos to coach Martin for taking the rains off these guys and letting them play. I really believe the difference in so many games is just a basket or two and watching us constantly push and attack is effective and exciting. Lets shock the world and take out the Gators.

chaos001 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

You couldn't be referring to corRUPPt arena, could you? ;P

ivyvol writes:

True grit.

in response to Theo:

Aye, that's a point to ponder, my friend! They say that's a sign of dementia, along with...dang! I forgot!

in response to Ironcity:

Good comment. We could all wonder what took this team so long to get to this point, though I have offered some theories. However, as I have said before, it is better that they catch fire late--though it may be TOO late, unless they REALLY shock us by winning the SEC tourney--rather than to start out like a rocket and then flame out late when the going gets tough.

volthrunthru#658770 writes:

GO VOLS!!!!
Great Win!
Agree w/a couple of comments made already about Golden's having somehow learned not to go down the road into a mental funk...which looked like he was starting to do today, but somehow pulled back & finished strong.
Several Vols overcame major mistakes to be big time contributors to the winning effort in the OT's.

GOVOLS!!!!!!!!!GOVOLS!!!!!!!!GOVOLS!!!!!!!!GOVOLS!!!!!!!!!

Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88 writes:

in response to ivyvol:

True grit.

Good movie

in response to volthrunthru#658770:

GO VOLS!!!!
Great Win!

GOVOLS!!!!!!!!!GOVOLS!!!!!!!!GOVOLS!!!!!!!!GOVOLS!!!!!!!!!

Anybody would have to say that it really says something about the mental makeup of a team that it can overcome so much sloppy play to scratch out such a win on the road. However and whenever this season ends, the Vols have given us all some great moments. We've just gotta hope they can put out that kind of effort a few more times!

GerryOP writes:

Great job basketVols ... great job!

Ya'all better get your tickets ... the seats on the basketVol bandwagon are filling up quickly!

The Gatas on Tuesday night? Last time I checked UT was on a 2-game winning streak against those boys. 3wouldbesonice!

mtnbikrtn writes:

Way to gut it out Vols. I was shocked at how empty the ATM arena was.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Only egregiousness calls I thought, were the ones that were reversed for out-of-bounds. Both times I thought Stokes was fouled (over the back on the first and a rake of his arm on the second). Although the way JS was shooting FTs today, maybe better to have the out-of-bounds. Refs were letting them play.

VolnTex writes:

The great thing about A&M joining the SEC is that I'll get to see the Vols play every once in a while. I was there and there were 100 different times when it looked like they were done and they hardly ever had a lead. I agree with everyone else; the conditioning coach gets some applause for this one. A&M's Turner scored a ton but in the end it was obvious he was gassed.

I was surprised at how small the crowd was. And it was good to see 50 or so orange-clad folks in stands.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Wasn't that the subject du jour just the other day or are you being ironic?

Anyway, I think it was settled with the answer of Long Beach St.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to mtnbikrtn:

Way to gut it out Vols. I was shocked at how empty the ATM arena was.

I couldn't see the audience for the cheerleaders. I didn't mind it either.

CoverOrange writes:

John or Jeff?

pingkr62 writes:

Great job team and coaching staff. It's awesome to see how well the Vols have played lately. Only four more wins (or more) and we go to the big dance. G.B.O.!!!

GerryOP writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

We are UT ... and ... we are proud.

Have a nice day...

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to chaos001:

You couldn't be referring to corRUPPt arena, could you? ;P

How'd you guess??

golfman1975 writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

Just as a reminder...you all said the same thing last year and got beat...of course this year you
have to play the game...

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to GerryOP:

We are UT ... and ... we are proud.

Have a nice day...

Keep showing the orange flag, GO.

GBO

BillVol writes:

Excellent account of the game, F.

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

I couldn't see the audience for the cheerleaders. I didn't mind it either.

it had the sound of a high school gym

had to leave the room when they went to the
" weee will rock you' chant-------that is just so lame , 20 years out-dated and annoying and we still hear it so often everywhere---- speaks little of the forums who got nothing better to get the crowd going with------------I HATE THAT THING!!!!!!

SportyDeb writes:

Isn't it GREAT to be a Tennessee Vol?! I am proud of all Our Players & Coaches for displaying the best of Vol Nation;HEART & Effort! Thank you all!!

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

in response to pingkr62:

I'm sure our Martin haters are just hating the turnaround and good play----sure its hard on them having to bottle up all that hate for 2 or 3 weeks or more

pingkr62 writes:

in response to yabadabadoo1026:

With some luck, maybe they'll explode. BOOM! G.B.O.!!!

chaos001 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

How'd you guess??

Pure dumb luck.

decades_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to kyvol98:

I told my girlfriend I have seen derogatory posts about Nicodemus Christopher on here, about his hair, his web site photos, etc.... Well, you saw today he is earning his pay from the UTAD. We could have played a couple or 3 more OT's.

Looks like the weighted vests in preseason drills have also helped. One thing for sure, no team is in better physical shape than this team. Great effort, great win. Just keep coming, Big Orange. Just like a fast moving train.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to chaos001:

Pure dumb luck.

That's funny..I see tucky's going to win in OT, that sure stinks..UT needed Mizzou to be as highly rated as possible before they meet @ TBA..GBO!!

Olddogsrule writes:

What a grrrrreeaaat win. possibly the most intense game I've seen in many years! Amazing stamina, courage, and conviction that they could win. And Golden WAS golden during the las OT when ZO pulled him out and told him to stand up and do it ... he did. They ALL did.

How will the loss of Frazier, Florida's leading 3 pt shooter affect the game Tues? I hate to see anyone injured, especially head and neck. And, granted he comes off the bench to do it, but he's only getting a little over 6 ppg and 3.3 rebounds. Will this injury play in with the loss of other lizard players and leave Fladuh little ragged?

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

but their loss improves our chances of getting into 4th place and tourney byes with some help---we got to win out anyway and at least get to the championship game if not win it to have a legit chance of dancin so the experts say unless lots of teams ahead of us now just cave down the stretch

Olddogsrule writes:

in response to Theo:

Hmmmm? wuz what she wanted at publix or kroger????? :(

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

Well, just finished watching the 4th SEC overtime game today. Maybe the SEC isn't the best conference this year, but they certainly have played some great games. I suppose the Big 10, or whatever they call it now, plus the Big East would be the top conferences, but once the NCAA tournament arrives, it's anybody's time.........as the past will attest.

Let's enjoy this for a day or so and get ready for the lizards. I am not about to write that one off yet. TBA will be electric just as it was for the one and dones. After the mugging of U K the feline trolls were scarce for a while here.

Should this success repeat itself against the slimy lizards, trolls like "9 is so fine as a troll" will likewise be scarce for a little while. Oh well, we should enjoy these games and those clowns will still be drawn to our site to be sure.

Question.........do Kentucky and Florida have a sports website? I guess not............

BTW, great comments about the game from all you Vol fans. Enjoyed Johnlg's reflection on that game with the 6 players on the team !

no1djkb#278630 writes:

Hey just responding to you guys comments about Coach Martin putting McBee on Turner. If I'm not mistaken, Josh had four fouls early in the game. I believe he put McBee on him because he is the next best defender. Don't think he wanted Richardson to foul out early. I actually thought McBee did a great job on him. Turner was making some crazy fall away jumpers. I think that is hard for anyone to defend. I have to say I was wrong about Coach Martin. I have been in his corner from day one because I want to see him succeed. A guy from East St. Louis and a cancer survivor. He has overcome a lot. I was beginning to think that he wasn't the man for the job. Losing Maymom hurt them really bad but I still thought they would be better then they were at one point. It is plain to me that the team has started to do what he has preached to them all year. Take care of the ball, play good defense, and have fun. This might sound crazy but to me they are playing like an oldschool NBA team. They are very unselfish, they are more patient, and don't settle for jump shots like before. At one poing it seemed they were scared to get their shot blocked. I am happy for you guys that are UT alums. As a fan I haven't had much to cheer about lately and I know being a graduate from their it must be even more painful. Glad to see they are putting it together

tovolny writes:

NICE TRY, KID!

The Big Orange know how to roll.

Visions of an NCAA spot are coming into focus.

Way to go guys.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to yabadabadoo1026:

That's a good point, but I'm from the school of lowering the RPI as much as possible then go into the SEC tourney with a clear goal in mind. I guess wining every game is a clear goal..

GreeneVol writes:

Turner is definitely a stud, but.....

Did you see the intensity in Caruso's face? Yeah, he was kinda emotional.

Did you see the intensity in Trae Golden's face? Dude was head-hunting.

RollTideJoe writes:

Nice win for the Vols.

tobytyler writes:

in response to Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88:

I like UT's chances at home. It's just a shame we can't demolish UT in Gainesville this year like we've done to everyone else.

Yeah, just like last year in gainesville, oh yeah we won last year in gainesville. Sorry Waffles, but tba is a house of horrors for billy d.and the gators. Plus the match ups favor ut heavily. Vols by 6.

LSG410EC83 writes:

What a game, what a win. This 52 year old can't take too many of these though. Must of pulled a muscle or pinched a nerve in my back from all the twisting and squirming in the recliner. (was not in recline position due to sitting on the edge of my seat). Only reason up at this time in the morning on a day off. One thing about this team, they never give up. Just wondering,since they played 60 minutes, does this count as a 1.5 in the win column? (lol). For anyone that has said Martin is too calm on the sideline, you must be deaf. I could hear him over the crowd on tv this game. Looking forward to Tuesday night against the Gators. If they will play with this type of intensity, look for a good outcome. IT IS GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL. GO BIG ORANGE.

One_in_West_Knox writes:

...uhh...as of now, is it still BBB for some??

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to FWBVol:

LSU beat Alabama in triple OT and Georgia beat South Carolina in OT.

The local SEC network station here stayed with Alabama-LSU through all three OTs so I only saw the last three minutes or so of the first half. I guess they more than made up for it in the second half with the four overtimes.

This was a great gut check win for the Vols and it shows the kind of mental toughness Cuonzo Martin has instilled in this team. Tennessee is a reflection of the coach...unflappable and as tough as nails.

Good grief. That's two weird mistakes on a public forum!!!! Honestly I don't(obviously) pay a lot of attention to who's playing except the team I'm a bit interested in. I mainly watched Georgetown. We owe them. Georgia was winning when I watched them some. Mostly I just didn't edit what I typed. My grandmother's sick and I had a flat tire and my dog got runover.

As to your toughness remark I love that. He seems to be a really tough but fair coach. Our conditioning coach seems to be a good one also. Some one will be calling him away if we aren't careful.

Go Vols and beat the gators

ronburgundy (Inactive) writes:

My biggest complaint about this team was their boring style of play. Well...They're not boring anymore. Whatever Martin said or did to inspire these guys hit the mark. Tall order with Flordia and Mizzou still on the schedule to expect them to win out but who knows? Great job Vols!

forkball writes:

in response to no1djkb#278630:

I was wondering if anyone saw the same game I did and I watched it twice. McBee did a great job on Turner playing deny defense and physically wearing on him when he had the ball. His fallaway jumper can't be stopped, you can only push him as far away from the basket as possible and hope he misses. See Jimmy England if you're old enough to remember.His defense allowed Martin to keep Richardson from fouling out so he could use him on Turner at the end. On offense he played totally within himself, didn't make mistakes,and stuck the dagger.Kid fought like crazy on both ends all night and after having been raked over the coals his whole career for his shortcomings deserves large kudos for this game.