in response to Basketvol:

I absolutely agree with you on Kenny Hall. I really want to see him succeed but it just doesn't seem like it's going to happen. Other than the dunk, he didn't seem to play with much energy tonight. This is definitely a better team when Stokes is on the floor.

Great hustle from McBee again tonight.

Well, he did make a nice baseline jumper, too, but yeah, just not doing it like they NEED him to, like I know he CAN do. Looks just about the same as he did when he first came to UT. Guess some people don't grow up, they just get older. Yemi does a pretty good job defending and rebounding, but the inside offense comes to a complete stop when Jarnell isn't in there. Even when he isn't scoring much like tonight, he is setting screens, making good passes, and getting offensive rebounds.

in response to tennlions:

Check this out. At the very least, it makes for interesting reading.
GO VOLS!!

Verrrry interesting indeed! Just got to keep it going, guys. NOBODY wants any part of you now. Give the world even more reasons to want to avoid you, but keep going and cram it down their throats!

AclockworkOrange writes:

How about all you Bruce Pearl supporters? Still think that liar should coach this team?

FmrVol31 writes:

GREAT WIN!!! My only complaint is where are the other 2,000 fans to sell it out?!

jamgod writes:

in response to VolFanInTheBoro:

9willbeajerk SevenTisaJerk bwahahahahaha

Frigin' awsome!!!

in response to UT4prez:

Early on UF played faster and looked to be the far more talented team. Oddly enough I think their press helped us get in the flow of the game and play up to their speed. I also think we started frustrating UF because we just kept hanging around. Great game. If we win Saturday we will be 18-10, 10-6. That definitely has the look of a bubble team at worst. Xavier picked up a nice win tonight too. Every little bit helps! A win Saturday also likely pushes our RPI into the 40s.

Yeah, but the Vols missed a LOT of easy shots early, ones they've mostly been making lately. They just couldn't seem to get them over the rim, and I was afraid that was a sign they just didn't have the necessary energy tonight. HA! Was I ever wrong about that! Thank goodness for Jordan! Can't imagine where they would have been tonight without him. Well, I can, too; they would be absorbing a painful loss.

Agree with your comment about the Florida press helping the Vols. They were able to run it down on them a couple of times and I think that helped loosen them up. Also agree about frustrating them; saw a number of long faces on various Gators even when the game was still in reach.

in response to 1vavolfan:

Hard to shoot 3's over 6'5" defenders. Can we go ahead and offer Isaih Stokes? GBO!

Gets my vote! He certainly seemed to be having a good time tonight.

in response to TNORANGEDOGDAD:

Who is going to take Mcbee's spot next year? Before him it was Bradshaw. True Tennessee guys that love the Big Orange and lay it all out on the floor for TENNESSEE.

Couldn't say right now who has his combination of toughness and a good outside stroke. Guess they'll all have to be a little tougher and we have to hope Hubbs can supply the threes. Moore is tough but not a confident shooter. For awhile there, I thought Reese might make a real breakthrough, but he seems to be pretty far down the bench right now.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

Great job guys. Another gritty performance.
Something's missing. What can it be?

Could it be the loudmouth trolls 9 and 8? We've already disposed of the little 7 IQ and his one and dones. This site is like a ghost town tonight..........just loyal Vol fans here and no punk troll/bandwagon lizards.

Kenny Hall taking heat? Be grateful for his baseline jumper and the slam. What was beginning to be very concerning was the team missing free throws.

Eddie Munster did his best imitation of a ref on the sideline. Jimmy Dykes also did his best trying to take away the charge..." the Tennessee player was falling back........should not have been a charge." It was hard for Nesser and Dykes to discredit this game.

All year the Vols have been without Maymon....so let's not have lizard trolls dwelling on " oh we had players hurt" blah, blah, blah.

And that was a #1 seed we played tonight???????
As the old saying goes........."over rated."
The lizards do fairly well unless they have to leave home to play a game.

Yes, at this point, Tennessee is clearly the hottest team in the SEC. Keep it up. Regardless, they have disposed of the #1 and 2
biggest rivals on the schedule and once again,
the 2 biggest troll represented schools.

redskinvol1 writes:

in response to AclockworkOrange:

I think coach Zo has the team headed in the right direction but I still would trade Zo for Bruce any time.Coach Zo might make me forget about the legend that is Bruce one day but I doubt it.

BigOrangeFreak writes:

Great game Vols! Let's stay hot and focused.

Get them Dawgs back for our last loss, take care of Auburn, and take down Mizzou at home. We owe them a butt-whippin for the 4OT football game. (Actually, we owe Dooley the butt-kickin, but we can take it out on Missouri.)

And not to get ahead of ourselves, but I sincerely hope if this team takes care of it's business over the last 3 regular season games, that they show up for the SEC tourney.

in response to orangecountyvols:

Vols,

Great job guys. Another gritty performance.
Something's missing. What can it be?

And that was a #1 seed we played tonight???????
As the old saying goes........."over rated."
The lizards do fairly well unless they have to leave home to play a game.

biggest rivals on the schedule and once again,
the 2 biggest troll represented schools.

Pretty good post except for a few small quibbles. I didn't like Jimmy Dykes' comments about the charge--it made no difference that the guy was falling back; he was in a "legal guarding position", which includes backing up; the Florida guy clearly ran over him; wouldn't have kicked if they gave him the bucket, though; Trae did almost the same thing on one he made--but he also had some kind things to say about the Vols defense and even about some adjustments they made on offense. He seems to be pretty much a Jarnell fan, too. I generally give Jimmy a lot of credit for the job he does.

As for the Gators being short-handed but so were the Vols without Maymon, it makes a big difference when you lose guys you have become used to playing with as opposed to those you never had. The Vols took WAY too long to get used to playing without Maymon, but the Gators had to make the adjustment from one game to the next, which is much harder.

Theo writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Agree with all except that Kenny at least got back a few of the points he gave up. In a game this close and hard-fought, his four points were huge. Yemi had several big plays on defense and got some big rebounds. The next step in his development, after learning how to GRAB a pass when it comes to him, is to learn how to gather himself when he gets it down low and power up to SLAM IT! I know he can get up that high, but right now he tries to play the game too upright. As Jimmy Dykes said, real basketball power flows from the ground up; he mentioned several times how Jarnell plays below the rim, but he keeps his feet under him and is thus able to power up through the contact.

And BTW, how good would Jarnell's "little" brother look in orange some day? I think they said he is a sophomore in HS and already 6'7" and 240. He also claims to beat Jarnell when they play in the driveway! He certainly seemed to be enjoying himself tonight.

Good Lord, what are the Stokes feeding those kids?
All great things tonight and a big win on ESPN with a 20K crowd. A plus for recruiting too.

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

in response to VictorKruger:

McRae in the first half and fierce team defense in the 2nd leads to another "uge" (as Bertelkamp would say) win! Georgia is no gimme next game, I can't see losing to Auburn, and I like the chances against Mizzou in the home finale. Let's start hitting free throws again and quit missing layups (Yemi, I'm talking to you) and win them all by 30. Go Vols!

your right about that, we miss so many shots right around the rim---------i give this to kenny hall, he always jams it home when such a chance rather than putting on the glass and so many of kennys dunks fire the crowd up

in response to redskinvol1:

You know what they say, buddy--one game at a time. We'll see how CCM works out over time, but I don't see how anybody can knock him now. He seems to really have the TEAM behind him, and you can't really put a price on that.

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

in response to johnlg00:

John, do you think all those missed fts tonight were caused by fatigue?

in response to BigOrangeFreak:

Great game Vols! Let's stay hot and focused.

That last bit is what really has me concerned. I too think the Vols can win out in the regular season, but a lot of Vol teams better than this one have flamed out in the SEC tourney. I would love for them to slay THAT particular dragon!

in response to yabadabadoo1026:

Right. I just wish he would do it a little more OFTEN!

volfaninutah writes:

Great win. Lots of pressure now.. tryin' to get to the big dance. Guys have just got to keep stepping up. Gotta keep it going guys.

wayoutwill writes:

This Vol team will be ranked top five(5) in the country in the preseason polls IF we get everyone back!The question is "will that happen?" Is Stokes going or is Mcrae going?I belive they come back and Mr. Maymon steps back into his spot on a very serious contender for the Final Four next year! I done told you haters that Coach Martin would raise this program to heights never seen here before. The only problem with Coach Martin is "What's he gonna say when his alma-mater comes calling?" I have no doubt that the money will be offered to keep him here,but,will his heartstrings tug so hard combined with the lure of going to a real basketball school instead of here- where it's only a past-time to get thru the year 'til spring training-be the end of the line for Coach Martin at U.T.? Time will tell....

in response to MooseandSquirrelVol:

John, do you think all those missed fts tonight were caused by fatigue?

Yes, I do. Well, that and a bit of understandable tension. It looked like the Vols were short-arming a lot of shots instead of following all the way through. That often happens when you don't get your legs fully into the shot. After his hot start, Jordan started doing that on his shots late in the game, sort of trying to guide it in instead of just letting it fly.

in response to wayoutwill:

WAY too much to be worrying about right now. I really don't think either Jarnell or Jordan is ready for the NBA right now, but if they get favorable evaluations from pro player personnel, I couldn't blame them for going.

AclockworkOrange writes:

in response to redskinvol1:

So you would rather have NCAA sanctions against the team rather than a coach who can win without cheating?

BigOrangeFreak writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Again, not to get ahead of ourselves, but with the way this team is playing, if they stay focused, keep up the great offensive communication and solid defensive play, this team is capable of winning the SEC tournament. They can also help themselves out by winning the remaining road games against lesser teams which will only add to their confidence should they make the NCAA Tourney.

Either way, they've given us all something that we didn't think we had a month ago; a chance to watch them play in March.

GBO!

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

To me at least, what is so encouraging is seeing the team cutting down on their turnovers. They are taking care of the ball much better and instead of just standing around on offense, they are moving without the ball and the much improved ball handling is finding guys open to take the shots. But add to that, the followups after a shot is taken.......people are going to the glass and grabbing crucial rebounds.......such as that awesome job by Stokes tonight !

Snapshot writes:

PI$$ on all you stinking gator trolls!
Where you at, 9willbesofine, you freaking coward?
You too, sevenTeeth.

Vols4Ever writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Vols,

Mr. Stokes is 19 y.o.a and less than 2 months past that. He plays the game like a man. CCM going to the SEC to level the court and let him play big ball was one of the best and unnoticed coaching moves ever. He argued it on the court without ever getting "T-uped" and was shrewd enough to take it to the proper venue to derive results.

He is a real coach but think we might be without Jarnell next year as he takes his skills to the NBA.

TNVol71 writes:

Great win!! Have to admit the Vols have finally gotten a couple of good breaks with Noel of Ky getting hurt and then the kid from Gatorville getting the concussion and missing the game. These were both dangerous squads even missing their players. Great job of stepping up and taking advantage. This UT squad really does play well together as a team. Thanks, guys. Now let's win the next 3 and take the tournament. A letdown against Georgia will lessen this victory. Have to keep sharp. GBO!!

VinylVols writes:

in response to Basketvol:

Great hustle from McBee again tonight.

Idk, at one point we had 5 guards on the floor and it looked pretty scary. Moore, McBee, Richardson, McRae, and Golden were all on at once, and thats when they made the huge run to get back into the game.

VinylVols writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Yeah, and I heard a lot of people on VolNation talking about darius thompson, and that they were probably gonna let Cheivous go, but it doesn't look like it, he is getting quite the amount of playing time compared to earlier on in the season.

Couchdummy writes:

Don't forget Skylar! He deserves some love too. I thought he played a better than usual defensive game.

UT4prez writes:

in response to wayoutwill:

They should be very good if everyone is back and healthy but not top 5. And let's not give Martin credit for something he hasn't done yet. This team was a mess a month ago. Last year they looked awesome in SEC regular season and fell back into early season bad habits the last 3 games. Just watch and enjoy the ride while keeping things in perspective.

UT4prez writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I agree with you. Dykes was getting annoying about the charge call because he seemed to talk about it forever but overall he was fine. The one that really got under my skin was Clark Kellogg in the KY game. I never say anything about someone calling the game as it's insignificant but he was blatantly biased towards KY. They did no wrong in his eyes even as we built a 39 point lead. Man was that awesome! Suck it Clark!

frblalack writes:

One of the great Vol wins. I was in class with Ron Widby and got the chance to witness firsthand the Vols put a whippin' on Louie Dampier, Dan Issel, and Pat Riley at the old Stokely Athletic Center. At the time it was probably the biggest upset in the history of Tennessee basketball and it was a thrilling sight to behold. We're getting to that stage now where I don't think anyone can stop us. And Skylar probably can't punt like Ron, but he's got the same smooth baseline jumper! Our bigs are the best in the conference & Trae deserves All-American consideration. But we have one player who cannot be guarded one on one; Jordan McCrae can create his shot. That makes him invaluable & first team SEC along with the strongest big in the conference if not in the country, Mr. Yarnell Stokes. Also hats off to Kenny & Yemi; we are deep inside the paint. And you've got to give it up for Coach Cuonzo!!! I knew when we signed him we were getting someone special! Vols are about to build a basketball dynasty. It's a GREAT time to be a Tennessee Vol! And for the record I'm 110% behind Coach Butch Jones & the continuity he's keeping with his coaching staff, and the world class expertise of Coach Dave Serrano, and the classiest of Tennessee Lady Vol basketball second only to the Best Coach in Basketball History,Coach Holly. Many seem to have forgotten what a remarkable player & team leader Holly Warlick proved to be. Holly rocks! And we've got the BEST assistant coaches in the Nation! I wouldn't trade Coach Kyra & the rest for the entire bench on Gino "the cheater & womanizer" of Connecticut's staff.

In two years time I would not be surprised if the Vols were back on top in Basketball, Football, Lady Vol Hoops, and it goes without saying our Lady Vol Softball team will soon be National Champions ...hopefully this year while we still have Raven, Lauren, Madison, Ivy, and Ellen together. It absolutely ROCKS to be a Tennessee Vol!

tgiles1944#654264 writes:

Talk of the South Not About them GATORS but All about them VOLS - Florida has come along ways in basketball since their days of not being able to fill there 5,000 seat capacity Alligator Alley in the 60's.

BolivrBob writes:

Mcrae was awesome. Golden had a clamp on Boynton. Stokes owned the boards. Great win!

SummittsCourt writes:

Awesome win! This team has changed. I give credit where credit is due and that is to Coach Martin. Earlier I was critical of his "lack of coaching", but now I praise his ability to get this team on track and win these last 6 games.

Go Vols! This is exciting!

cloudodust writes:

Chompped...

UT4prez writes:

in response to frblalack:

The enthusiasm is great but I think you went a little far. It's easy to get carried away in the excitement. Golden is not even first team all SEC and won't even get all American honorable mention. McRae will probably be 2nd team SEC but maybe could sneak on the first team. Stokes isn't the best big in the conference. That kid from LSU is pretty awesome. Finally, we don't have quality depth inside at all. Kenny shows flashes about 25% of the time but the other 75% he is a liability. Yemi is a rebounding machine and plays decent defense. His game in all other areas is non-existent. At times his lack of size can be a liability. The strength of this team comes from hustle, desire, and synergy. Make no mistake, this is not a hugely talented group. Just watch them and it's obvious but they overcome it by playing hard and playing together.

Again, I love the enthusiasm. Just don't want you to be disappointed when the conference and all American teams are announced. At least you aren't slamming everyone and complaining all the time. I hope you are right on every bit of it!

usafvol writes:

No gatorbaters on the our site today; imagine that..

CoverOrange writes:

in response to johnlg00:

What bothered me about Dykes commentary on the charge was the total ignorance of the block on Golden right before that. All he said was Golden was out of control but that doesn't absolve that Rosario (I think it was Rosario) cutting him off along sideline. I also wonder if Rosario stepped on the line when he took the ball but that wasn't clear from the replay angle.

TNORANGEDOGDAD writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Let's hope they don't get their evaluation from the
same person that Hopson got his.

PUL4VOLS writes:

Great win, great run, I hope they keep it going. Beating an 8th ranked team late in the season should cause their stock to rise toward the bubble. Let's see, they have the potential to make this a very special time for UT mens' basketball. GO BIG ORANGE!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to TNORANGEDOGDAD:

Robert Hubbs, 5* SG from West Tennessee.

One_in_West_Knox writes:

According to what I heard from Bob Kesling, the Gators would rather let their opponents score than risk fouling them near the basket. It seems to work, as the Gators are ranked in the Top 10 (maybe not after this loss).

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

I didn't make it on my run, only logged 7 miles..The Vols kept up their end of the bargain though..To me, it seermed like the gators were the team coming off a 4 OT game..Cuonzo had the Vols ready to play after a sluggish start, and McRae was great on both ends last night. Stokes is a rebounding machine, and McBee continues to hit shots and play hardnosed defense..Great win and GBO!!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I couldn't agree more. Tre Golden's turnover that lead to the charge was clearly a foul. But no call, and no crying from Dykes, but the charge call had him up in arms.

But I guess we shouldn't complain...I mean Stokes blatantly walked in the first half, as well as push off and going over the back. I mean Stokes walk under the hoop might be the worst I've ever seen to not be called.

voloffaith writes:

Ya'll knew we were going to win as several predicted since good ole Professionalhandicapped predicted chomper win. Actually I'd like to see him come on and admit he was wrong. Can he find the humility to do so? Anyway, CONGRATS on a big victory, but we ain't finished the job yet. One game at a time.

8inarow writes:

As I posted yesterday, Vols to line twice as many times as UF. However, home time-clock seemed to work this time (may not have if game was closer)

UF stayed with ut even with 2-key players out, and losing a 3rd in the game to an injury.

So, here is how it will play out.

Gators go deep in NCAA, vols lose early in NIT.

Happens ever year.

GatorHater1998 writes:

in response to 8inarow:

So, here is how it will play out.

Gators go deep in NCAA, vols lose early in NIT.

Happens ever year.

And the Vols are missing Maymon. Your point is?