underthehill writes:

in response to FanNotSheep:

Two problems with that: 1) he had no one left to throw to, and 2) he doesn't really fit Jones' offense. For better or worse, the days of the pro style offense at UT are over for now. A mobile QB is needed to run things, and with no returning receivers it's hard to see how another year at UT would have helped Bray.

Seems to be the majority opinion of sports commentators I've heard..the only possible thing that will now help Bray is to get his act together and grow up..hope he does..

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to FanNotSheep:

Maybe Bray ain't the brightest bulb in the candelabra, but Vince Young scored the lowest score on the NFL tests ever and was a first rounder.

Maybe Bray ain't mature but I was at the Montana game when everyone thought Peyton Manning had snuck into the stadium wearing Bray's jersey.

Maybe all the Jimmy Hyams types out there will say Bray wasn't this and Bray wasn't that, but before the 2013 season is over they will wish they had an offense to watch. Here is my prediction: It will be ugly.

If an NFL coach can't coach up a young man and help him see that he has the rough skills to make him a starter, maybe even a star, in the league, then what good is he?

If Cutcliffe had coached Bray, the young man would have been a first round draft pick. So if an NFL team needs a franchise QB, maybe they should hire Cut as their QB coach and sign Tyler Bray.

And note to several idiots on this site: Tyler Bray did not lose one football game in his UT career. The responsibility for those losses goes to Coaches Dooley and Sorry Sunseri, who put the worst UT defense on the field I've seen in 45 years of watching the Vols. With the 2011 defense the team goes 8-4 last year.

The Vince Young's of the world probably kept teams from drafting Bray. He reminds me a lot of Ryan Leaf as far as a talented arm, just not much in the way of student of the game persona.

StoneJackBaller writes:

Bottom line: He should've stayed another year and improved his mental capacity. He is just way, way too immature for the NFL. One GM stated his whiteboard interview was the worst he'd ever seen. In other words, he doesn't have enough knowledge of the game and the schemes. One more year, he might've got his degree, which might prove to be way more valuable in the long run.

ps11824 writes:

Too bad about Bray. Unfortunately, many young men jeopardize a bright future by behaving like selfish boys. He never saw the need to be supportive of team - always seemed to think he was 'the man' with total disregard for how he was hurting the program.

In a way it would have been 'justice' for Bray to have been drafted by a team with leadership willing to 'help the boy grow up in a way boys used to learn - by being taken to the wood shed.' Obviously, he has been allowed to behave like a jerk his whole life. Of course I would have no knowledge of that, but he's appeared to me to be an arrogant jerk since he came to the University of Tennessee.

He looked as if he could not care less about what Jon Gruden implied in his interviews. Something like "It makes my stomach hurt to watch you, man." Tyler just looked like he just didn't give a big fat rat's pa'toot how he appeared on national TV.

I don't wish the kid harm, but I sure hope he has learned some kind of lesson that will make him want to grow up and be one of the good guys.

VolzsFan writes:

Face it. It did not take a ton of skill to hit 3 1st round talents. They where so open it was easy. All of those receivers where 1st round talents.

Of the best QBs in the game (Manning, Brady, Brees, Rogers) and historically (Young, Aikman, Montana, Unites) how many had a strong arm? Rogers I guess? The rest throw accurately, lead, get their team in the right play, throw on time to the right guy and do not fall to pieces when the pocket collapses. Brey may have a strong arm but his accuracy against good competition was horrific, he did not know any plays and his ability to get things done when a rush is coming coupled with the fact that he is a punk tells us why he was not drafted.

FanNotSheep writes:

If anyone thinks the 11 (or however many) quarterbacks taken in the draft are better pro prospects than Bray, please tell me why. Bray played against the best college teams and if his team had a coach and a defense he would have won many more of those games. He may not be football-smart like Manning or Brady but it blows my mind that no team thought he was worth a late round pick. From what I have read I think Dooley is the culprit, blaming all his shortcomings on Bray. If true, Dooley is not just a horrible coach but a horrible person. Another sad day for UT football.

And to all you fans who raked Bray over the coals for not being good enough to carry his worthless head coach and defensive coordinator, welcome to some really boring offensive football in 2013. At least with Bray, Patterson and Hunter there was entertainment and excitement when the Vols had the ball. Who do you think is going to lead this offense now?

It is time to prove the so-called experts wrong and I hope Tyler can do just that.

StoneJackBaller writes:

in response to FanNotSheep:

I believe it all had to do with what's between the ears. He interviewed with several teams and it obviously didn't go well. Dooley didn't help, but Tyler didn't put in the study time and pretty much winged it all the time.

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

Should have stayed for your senior year. One under BJ is far better than 3 under PI (Previous Idiot) Good luck. You're gonna need it.

gogovols2002#222335 writes:

The draft? LOL.. Remember Heath Schuler. Ryan Leaf, Tim Tebow??? Or what about Kurt Warner??.. They called him up from the arena football league & He becomes a Superbowl MVP. Best wishes for TB.. Maybe this will be the wake up call to shake him up & make him coachable..

kcbigorngX writes:

Tyler has the ability to play at the highest level. We're talking football, ladies. Half the QB's in the league bombed on the Wonderlic...it's really just a matter of getting the reps and progressing thru the offense in order to learn it. The Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck's of this world are few and far between.

He sealed his own fate in the Gruden interview when he admitted how much effort he had put out on a 1-10 scale..."maybe 7 or 8". If FHCDD had another QB to go to TB would have been riding the pine, but that was not the case and it would not have been fair to the rest of the team in their ultimate effort to win games if Dooley had benched him.(Of course all that goes out the window in hindsight.)

All that being said, I hope Mike Srange feels better about himself after piling on; Bray wore the Big Orange and he is one of us regardless. TB is certainly not the maniac/bully that Ryan Leaf turned out to be. More like overconfident/lazy.

Seems like Strange and John Adams have been wallowing in the same trough on this one.

CrankE writes:

in response to FanNotSheep:

uh...maybe they're better because they were drafted and Bray was not?

Let me expand on that;
The people who are employed by NFL franchises to evaluate talent for the NFL draft, and to make draft decisions said so. They reviewed everything about Tyler Bray-and hundreds of other players who were potential draft picks. And apparently, among every team out there, Bray represented more risk than potential gain in the context of the draft.

On the subject of NFL readiness, it really doesn't matter what any of us think. (Nor does it matter why Bray is where he is developmentally.) The draft has spoken and Bray isn't ready. Only a herculean effort from Bray will prove otherwise. But even the NFL scouts will have to remain skeptics. After all, if Bray could produce such an effort and show that much improvement to become NFL ready, then where was that effort in the 3 years he was at UT?

And while I wish Bray well in his efforts, his efforts are outside the scope of UT football and thus, irrelevant to me as a UT fan.

Olddogsrule writes:

Found these Wonderlic Test scores posted on Volnation (verified?)

1. Ryan Nassib, Syracuse 41

2. Matt Barkley, USC 30

3. E. J. Manuel, Florida State 28

3. Landry Jones, Oklahoma 28

5. Mike Glennon, N.C. State 26

6. Tyler Bray, Tennessee 24

6. Geno Smith, West Virginia 24

6. Zac Dysert, Miami (Ohio) 24

9. Matt Scott, Arizona 22

10. Tyler Wilson, Arkansas 20

Read where Nassib was passed over in the draft by Doug Marrone, his college coach (who is now the new Bills coach as of January), for Seminole QB EJ Manuel. Football IQ obviously isn't all they look for, or Nassib would have been early 1st rounder. There has to be the mix. What Tyler has can't be coached. What he dosen't have certainly can be coached, if he is coachable. Good luck Tyler, and like I said before, Work Smart!

CroKev writes:

While I think Bray wasted a lot of time at UT, I have to say I’m impressed with what he’s done since declaring for the draft. He put on about 25 pounds of muscle (no easy feat! I just have to wonder why the heck he didn’t do it before) in anticipation of the draft. I think if he puts in the same kind of effort in learning KC’s playbook, he’s going to impress Jim Zorn (QB coach) and find himself a home.

Imagine what kind of QB Bray would have been under Gruden. I think he has the same opportunity under Zorn and I hope he astounds the Chiefs with his humility, work ethic, and leadership. Remember a guy named Matt Simms, who was signed and later waived by the Jets? With the physical tools he has, if Bray can demonstrate the same kind of leadership Simms had, he could definitely be the surprise of the 2013 draft. The only person I can think of who could come close to duplicating such a feat would be Da’Rick Rogers…

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

in response to Southland:

hope the kids learns some humility from this but he doesnt seem to be able to learn things very well. I hope he makes a roster and ends up having a good career. He told his closest friends when he came on campus that he would be leaving after his junior season. He stuck with his plan even though he had not developed as a qb or a person. He should have reevaluated but at the same time look what kind of teams he had to play on and the turmoil in coaching. I would say that playing at UT (something most of us would think would be the pinnacle) was not much fun at all.

Sounds like Tyler needs to reevaluate who he confides in also.

VolunteerLifer writes:

This might just be the kick in the teeth he needs to finally grow up and accept responsibility for his actions.

Olddogsrule writes:

Oh, by the way, for all you genuises out there you can test yourself on a sample Wonderlic at

Hope u do better than me with my daughter making birthday cupcakes an going "OMG! you have to try this"! and sticking a spoon of icing in my mouth. She "created excellence"!

MikeNPS writes:

in response to Orange_Beach:

Tyler should be used to the role, he's been irrelevant in the SEC for the last three years.

It was the offense that kept the Vols in games this past season. If the defense had provided any support at all, a few loses could have become wins.

DRORANGELOVE writes:

Tyler,

The level of your future success or failure lies with YOU !!! You certainly have the physical ability to be a Hall of Famer, but you are going to have to change your attitude, work ethic, and maturity level if you want to achieve that status. NFL teams and players are not going to waste their time and money on a QB who isn't mature or won't show a good work ethic.

I sincerely hope you will grow up, mature, work hard and develop into an all star NFL QB that I know you have the potential to be. GBO

UTvols33 writes:

in response to FanNotSheep:

From what I have read, Derek Dooley poisoned the NFL waters for Bray, blaming Tyler for his inability to coach. That's sad. I made excuses for Dooley, thinking the program needed continuity after so much turmoil in such a short time. But from talking with a couple of players who were there I learned that Dooley was the problem, certainly not the solution. The sad thing is UT had the chance to hire Kevin Sumlin and instead chose Dooley, one more thing to thank Mr. Hamilton for.

What a mess.

Here's hoping Jones can keep the momentum he is building brick by brick.

I'd like to read that article. Can you post a link or name the publication, date, or author?

brokendownoldvol writes:

Who knows what Bray is capable of with a half way competent coach. A good coach would have wrked on everything they say he is weak at. Dooley did none of that. I wish him the best. i hope he proves them all wrong.

buzz29 writes:

Perhaps it falls under the heading of "seasoning", but another year would have afforded Bray the opportunity to make less than "leading" receivers look a lot better due to his potential ability regardless of the new offense. Plus, another year to redeem himself with the school and fans would have been nice. No, it doesn't take much more than a "first glance", but it should not be assumed that he had the right to return. Considering his past behavior he should have asked Coach Jones's permission to return. Unfortunately, Bray continues to rely on glancing instead of looking deep inside himself for answers.

bUTch_please writes:

in response to UTvols33:

Hope you like the sound of crickets, cause we both know that's all you're getting on this one.

Ain't it funny though, the same people who can't crow enough about CDD's lack of ability to get his own team to listen....are now proposing that a mere whisper from his lips has 32 NFL teams dancing on a string.

Go Team #117! Skin them belly crawlers!

FWBVol writes:

in response to FanNotSheep:

If Cutcliffe had coached Bray, maybe Bray would have been a first round pick or maybe Bray would have warmed the bench because he couldn't get his act together. Cutcliffe wouldn't have put up with the beer bottle throwing last summer and he wouldn't have put up with the jet ski incident. The truth is we will never know how Bray would have responded to Cutcliffe's coaching.

I did see the segment of Bray with Jon Gruden on ESPN and Bray's football IQ looked to be somewhere in the idiot category.

And please, don't say I'm one of those Bray bashers, because I haven't been. I'm just stating my observations based on the segment on ESPN.

UTvols33 writes:

in response to bUTch_please:

Go Team #117! Skin them belly crawlers!

Yup.

Olddogsrule writes:

in response to FWBVol:

Don't know if Cutt could have done any better with Tyler. It's all about coachability and we don't know how coachable Tyler was.

As far as the bottle throwing, he was aiming at a dumpster and missed. Did he even know he hit the car? If so he should have put a note on it. If not, he did the right thing anyway .. apologized and paid for the repairs. I grew up a river rat with boats all my life and I didn't know about the distance behind a power boat before you can jump the wake with a jet ski until Bray messed up. Here's a kid from California on a lake outing with friends doing what a whole lot of folks do but he's the one to get caught. Kinda like going 65 or 70 mph out by Farragut on your way into Knoxville, a few get caught but most don't. There are those who know better than to jump wakes close to the boat, but I bet he didn't even know he was doing anything wrong. My question, who was the adult owner of the jet ski who let him get on it without the TWRA training? That one knew better. Were Bray's 'antics' any worse the Manning mooning the lady on the football staff? How did Cutt handle that?

I posted Bray's combine Wonderlic score along with several others above. He's average for QB's there. Bray's problem on the Gruden interview seems to me he felt under attack and got flustered, partly because he didn't know the answers. And there lies his problem. But that's not something that can't be fixed with good coaching by Reid. He's got everything else that can't be coached. Height, cannon for an arm and tough enough when he was 20 lbs lighter to get knocked on his can and get back up. It's all up to Tyler Bray, will he be coachable?

BluezVol writes:

Excelling in sports will not take you everywhere you want to go despite the lavish devotion at the expense of so much by many in our society. He's a perfect example of what happens when maturity, resilience, perseverance and "team-first" attitudes are missing. Million dollar arm - maybe. Coaching migraine headache - definitely. He'll find that if he doesn't get a shot in the NFL, he'll need those same missing attributes in other walks of life. While I hope this is not the case, we may be seeing the early years of the next Ryan Leaf.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to reg_mza#219136:

No, the NFL doesn't wait for folks to grow up unless they are impactful on the field. Bray won't get a lot of opportunities to be impactful on the field and they damn sure aren't going to wait on him to grow up. And he's not going to sprout into adulthood in 6 months time so I'm going to lean on him being Mr Irrelevant or Mr Canada one.

What is wrong with Canada? Many College stars played in Canada and earned BIG money for doing so. Does Condredge Holloway ring a bell? Many of you keep trying to bring Bray down to failure status so you will not feel so badly about your own failures.

I wish Bray all the success he can get.Heck,I even wish success for all you losers that post negative about others.

in response to yabadabadoo1026:

there is no other site out there than can match this one at kickin a guy when hes down----if only you folks out there relishing in it so were half as perfect in your lives as you expect of all others ------these threads arent going to end until every last subscriber gets his pound of flesh from TB it seems------rediculous how you all just keep coming back to get another kick in---------just a sorry state how every QB that ends at Tenn gets this same type of thankless farewell

Bravo! Well-stated and much-needed! Whether one is a TB fan or not--and there surely seem to be darned few of the former these days--it does no one any good to continue to pour derision on a guy who has just lived through perhaps the most humiliating three days of his life. At this point, any more of that kind of talk is just impotent bullying that helps no one, least of all those who continue to do it.

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

I remember how exciting it was watching the Clausen (Casey) - lead Vols offense when the chips were down. Casey was a clutch player, and no opponent could rest on a lead until after the final buzzer. I haven't gone back to research it, but he lead a lot of come-from-behind drives and almost always came through. That's something Bray wasn't ever known for. Clausen was better when the pressure was on. Bray, not so much.

Yep. Casey's head and competitive desire in TB's body would be a wonder to behold! Or Casey with TB's arm, for that matter.

Shake_Bake writes:

in response to vol98champ:

I really thought that Denver would take Bray in the 7th round. Sure would have liked to hear Peyton and John discuss that possibility.

Yeah...I was thinking about that possibility also. But there is no way Peyton was going to get involved with Bray. The work ethic related to film study, the play book, practice, etc., just isn't there. I would still like to see Bray be successful, but it is a long shot.

arkyvol writes:

even with the negatives, I like his chances for a nfl career at qb a lot better than tebow's.

nomad11 writes:

Sry, but I briefly caught his exchange with Gruden...saw where it was suggested he could have checked down to Lane or Neal for 10+ yards. Honestly,where the video left off, I think I could'a got 10yds on my own. Yet he chose to throw it into double coverage. I always wondered whether it was Tyler or Chaney making ultimate decisions..and the difference..now I feel I know. Given that I have to attribute the ulitmate the decision making process to Tyler, his performance in the interview helps comfirm it. He was put in a position to succeed, he failed himself.

That said, it is a matter of reading the right play and defensive set up. If he can do it he has a chance, but w/o some dedication he is doomed to fail. I'm hoping for the best but can't expect the best. Conversely, It's an awesome lesson for those who are coming after him in CBJ era.....i.e. if you don't put in the effort..perceived or real......it might not happen. I still think he could be better than those ahead of him...he just needs to get outta his own way. Hoping for the best....

77VolFS writes:

Even with his immaturity,I was still shocked no one took a risk on the projected "best arm in the draft" in the later rounds. The only thing I can figure is that he came across very badly in his pre-draft interviews - GMs don't play around.

trl_x writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I was thinking the same thing. Rick as well.

Good luck Tyler. Dedicate yourself to the task at hand and prove all the GM's wrong.

lstbodeanvol writes:

I would have liked to see how Tyler could have developed with Coach Cut instead of dooleys staff...on a "positive note"......at least Tyler didn't have to get one of those fake Roger Goodell hugs !

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

I'd say most of them had a strong arm. Bray is impressive because he throws with the same velocity as Manning.

Now, to your first assertion. Bray was often criticized for forcing it to receivers who weren't particularly open. He had the testicular fortitude to drill it to them through tiny holes. One Da'Rick Rogers TD in the Cinci game in 2011 comes to mind. He was double covered and didn't have a step on anybody, but Bray fired it though a pin-hole to hit him right as both DBs got there. The picture of Da'Rick when he sat up, helmet gone, and held both hands straight out to the side, ball in one hand, with a huge smile on his face, is a classic.

It was a great catch and an impossibly perfect "frozen rope" throw.

I'd say the only reason Bray wasn't drafted is because of his punk image. I'm going to predict he does end up with a career on the football field. Hopefully this setback will cause the mental change he needs.

(note to KNS staff: Really? I can say "balls" but I can't say "c o j o n e s?" That makes a lot of sense......not! I chose "testicular fortitude" to avoid any removal of the post by the staff.)

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I can also remember that Casey never impressed anybody in practice or scrimmages. He actually needed the pressure to perform at his best. He was sort of a Rocky, or a Bruce Lee. Remember how Bruce Lee never really started kicking butt until the other guy hit him? He would taste his own blood, and then kick the other guy's arse.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

For the better part of three years he was the starting QB at a major college football program. One of the most storied in the country. People should be impressed enough with his abilities just for that accomplishment. Nevermind the draft. There were 254 players drafted out of how many? I have read that there are over 800 college football teams. If each of them had 20 seniors/eligible juniors, then there were 254 players drafted out of a possible 16,000!

Don't phooey on a kid because he wasn't one of them (He should have been. There's no way all those other QBs who were drafted out of East Bumfk U were better than he.). Doug Flutie was drafted #285 overall, so he wouldn't have made it either. Kurt Warner didn't get drafted. Warren Moon didn't either. Oh, and what about Arian Foster?

VolVox writes:

in response to StoneJackBaller:

This is the real answer. The problem isn't whether he's a punk, whether he threw beer bottles, or even whether he was the most popular guy in the locker room. UT's WRs essentially ran the same routes over and over because Bray didn't know how to read coverages, understand route trees, etc. To be fair, that might've benefitted Patterson, too, as far as getting him on the field sooner. The simple fact is that Bray is so far behind that NFL coaches may've felt they don't have that kind of time to devote to bringing someone up to speed who is so, so far behind (at least when you have to risk a valuable draft pick to find out). If he truly does wind up in KC, Reid is a perfect guy to teach him if Bray is willing to put in the long hours this will take. His level of understanding of the mental part of the game is probably little better than a high school QB's. This isn't a matter of piling on; it is a simple recognition of where he is on the spectrum. I appreciate the fact that he would take a hit and was competitive for UT, but I wish he had not allowed himself to lag behind on the other work that is required of a QB. That was his choice.

rbwtn writes:

I think Bray will be a great Catch in the NFL after all this he, hopefully realizes the NFL is a serious business. He's got the Talent and in my opinion will make the team in Kansas. If not pack it up Bray and head to Canada. Frankly when all is said and done..."attitude" that is taking the game serious and respecting your fans means everything in College football. I remember back how Bray embarrassed me many times during his stay at UT.

in response to Shake_Bake:

I could be wrong, but it seems I read something a year or two ago to the effect that Peyton had offered to tutor Tyler but Tyler more or less blew him off. If so, I wonder how Tyler would respond to such an offer now.

Bodecker writes:

Tyler Bray is better now than dudes like Brady or Montana. He be almost as good as Manning.