ReeseHallRelic writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

If they're rehired, they have no damages, and therefore no lawsuit. Stick to rabbit ears, sonny.

ReeseHallRelic writes:

in response to HaplessVol:

Jeffy, your schizophrenia/multiple personality disorder is catching up with you.

Did you forget that, in this persona, you originally claimed to have TWO children who were alumni of UT?

If you're going to continue this idiotic "conversation" with yourself, you really need to watch those little details....

jt45 writes:

in response to cdamna1:

This entire article makes me sick and is ridiculous.

Why on earth does an AD make $750,000 per year? And get $50,000 raises?

I am an alumnus ('95), but I stopped paying out the nose for season tickets when Fulmer was fired, stopped all contributions when Hamilton put us in the hole with Dooley's $5 million buy-out, and now I sincerely hope my kids decide to go somewhere else.

I will always be a Vol, but it's hard to financially support an institution that is so blind to real world economics.

Yes but just think, He is trimming the fat ! Just not his own fat ! Sort of like the Robinhood Theory but in reverse. Makes me wonder what the world is coming to. Im not a Hart basher but exactly what in the sam hill has he done to deserve a fat cat bonus on top of the $800,000 dollars he already gets paid. Coach Jones seems to be the one working the hardest to improve UTs image. Hart is a yes man to Cheek and the board and they must be printing their own money on the hill these days.Likely Scenario number 1:( Oh wait I forgot lets just cut some jobs and give raises ! Everyone still working here raise your hand if your in favor.): Sound about right?

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

Nice contract for an AD who missed on Gruden, Strong, and 3 others before being forced to take a follower who lost badly to Dooley. Truth is UT has a worse staff than UK or Vandy. Time will prove me right once again just like the Dooley bashing TROLL I was called. Ill put Fulmer and Pearls credentials against Martins and Jones anytime anywhere and beg for a stupid argument. Nobody bashes UT worse than UT fans. The ONLY SEC school in 100 years to fire a coach who won them a National Championship for their school. . Idiots..

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Just a couple of things wrong with your post.

First, UT would have had to offer Gruden at least $10M/year, no matter who the AD was. Strong didn't turn down UT because he didn't want to work here. He turned it down because he was very happy at Louisville. I admire his character. Besides, when you already have a program winning and they're paying you "whatever it takes" to keep you, why would you leave? Answer: You wouldn't, unless you're an idiot and a tool.

Second, you were a Dooley-bashing troll (because you never gave him a chance), and apparently still are. Get over it.

Third, Jones didn't lose to Dooley. His team of Big East players lost to Dooley's team of SEC players, at Neyland, on a day when Bray and Co. really went to town. His team still finished ranked and with ten wins.

Finally, I'm pretty sure Auburn is in the SEC. I'm pretty sure they fired a coach who won them a national championship (and they didn't give him a decade of decline before they did it), and I'm pretty sure that was in the last 100 years.

Idiot.

ReeseHallRelic writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

Uhhh, Jeffy? I was talking to the other you, not you you. Nice attempted recovery, though.... but it still doesn't explain how somebody, ANYBODY, could forget one of his own sons. Unless the background is completely fictitious to begin with.

Try again, Jeffy, but answer as the aptly-named Hapless next time. Spread the (lack of) wealth!

ReeseHallRelic writes:

BTW, Jeffy, you incorrectly used the term "paranoia". You pose no threat to anybody, hence no reason for any of us to be paranoid. Although we COULD die laughing at you and your pitiful life....

Kasey writes:

Just why at only year 2 of a 6 year contract would they need to add on another year? Just another way to through more money at this guy. I could understand if it were year 5 or 6 to give an extension now - but year 2? Just an excuse to give him a $50K "bonus".

volfan1202 writes:

in response to GatorHater1998:

He deserved it with the hire of butch!

You sunshine pumpers crack me up. Butch may turn out to be a great hire, but to declare him one before anybody has seen the product he puts on the field is pretty stupid and to claim Dave Hart deserved this extension and bonus before the team has played a single game is equally as stupid.

TheFuj writes:

Amazing!! Why get a contract extension with 5 years still remaining? Why does he have a contract to begin with? You get paid for doing a job.
Why the bonus? Three major sports. Football was a disaster last year. Basketball--no NCAA tournament. Baseball--struggling again.
I just see no reason for contract extension and a bonus.

Fall_Creek_Vols writes:

$50K "retention bonus"?

What's wrong with this picture?

I can't think of ANYONE who's worth that.

Henley-Street-Bridge writes:

that's right, another season of not beating a team in the SEC in football, basketball loses the first game of the NIT at home no less, baseball in the tank, mmm.. sure give Dave a raise, he needs it to keep stocked in black hair dye.

PHAT_VOL writes:

in response to underthehill:

I wonder if Peyton talked to him about coming to Colorado ..or going to UT....after the Sunseri disaster..how can anyone be stupid enough to think Hart made this hire..I don't think so..he had to have approval from the big dog..

And who is the big dog?

PHAT_VOL writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

True, but Hart backed into Jones and Hamilton fell in the well on top of Dooley. There is a difference.

Fell in the Well! NOW that's funny right there I tell ya! Knee slappn FUNNY!
GO VOLS!!

dcap8424 writes:

He's 64 now. Whatever abilities he had have diminished or are in the process of diminishing. By the time his contract is up in 2018, he'll be 69 or 70 (I don't know or care when his birthday is). Why do we give someone so much money at the end of their career? Wouldn't it be worthwhile to get someone in their 40s or 50s who is still trying to make a name for themselves? And we wonder why our athletic department is in bad shape financially... smh

BigBadVol writes:

in response to thevoice:

Anyone who fires Derek Dooley is okay in my book.

I say amen to this!

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

I am thankful that Strong turned down UT. With the Vols schedule this could be a rough year, but I believe the Vols got the coach that will ultimately get the job done. I don't know why you mention Pearl in an article about Hart's ontract extension, but I'm not surprised after reading some of your idiotic posts. Your youtube videos are still hilarious.

pcorange writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Actually, Auburn fired Gene Chizik in 2012 after he won them a national title in 2010. I agree that Fulmer should never have been fired, but he was. Butch Jones is now our coach, and he was a better hire than either Jon Gruden or Charlie Strong. I think time will prove me right.

volsmith writes:

Expect UT athletics to do nothing worthwhile trough 2018, or however long Hart and Cheek are at UT.

MetroplexMojo writes:

in response to Kasey:

I am speculating but I wonder if adding the year was part of a negotiation ploy by Hart when the Bama A.D. job came open last month. Hart (or his represenative) could have floated his name out there and as a result, he got a year added to his contract. The timing makes sense since it could have taken the lawyers a month to hammer out all of the details. Coaches pull this ploy all the time so Hart would be well versed in that negotiation ploy.

NashvillePreds writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

By just glancing at Forbes formula, there are obvious flaws. Namely the cost they assign to attending the University, which I then believe they weigh against the average projected earnings. The costs versus the projections are out of whack. You can take their opinion for the gospel all you want, but if you think attending Union University is setting yourself up for a better stage for success in life, I have some beach front property in Oklahoma I'd like to sell you.
The problem with a person such as yourself, is you have already decided your opinion before obtaining information from each side of the equation. For instance, did you take into consideration the current students attending the University of Tennessee are the most academically qualified in the history of the institution? Did you know when the average ACT test score for a new UT student began to correlate with that of a new student at Sewanee, then The University of the South began declining ACT scores? Interesting they rank so highly on Forbes flawed list.
Finally, if you would like a true barometer of where the University of Tennessee stands, please see a highly accepted metric as performed by U.S. News. Certainly there is work to be done, but the University is improving. Like it or not.

Viva la Hart
GO Vols

mborokyvol writes:

Hart does not deserve it! Point Blank! There is nothing more to say. The university should be looking for ways to save money. Stop extending contracts so far into the future. Have they learned nothing yet???????

MetroplexMojo writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

I wasn't implying that Hart was even considered by Bama. My point was that people (especially coaches) show interest in jobs that they have no chance in getting or jobs they do not want just to get more money. There had to be some reason(s) the administration felt it had to extend his contract. I am not condemning Hart since most people at some point have utilized their leverage to gain more money from their employer or customers.

tnvols1998 writes:

Great, just the news I wanted to hear -- NOT! This means the decline of women's athletics will continue.

kcbigorngX writes:

in response to lemme_axya_this:

I don't understand the concept either. If, however, it pi$$es off Walt, Toddy, and the rest of the wretched folk on this sight, I like it.

This^^^...just made my day. Much obliged, ax.

kcbigorngX writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Bill Battle is worth more $ than Saban could make if they doubled his salary and gave him a life time contract. You're talking about Bear Bryant's chosen one...and showing once again an ignorance of reality.

The former UT Head Coach had a downhill won/lost record while he was in Knoxville, but he is the perfect choice of an AD who would show zero fear of little Nicky.

ModelMaker writes:

in response to Ironcity:

Joan ruled herself out. We all love Pat but she was in no shape to coach and would have damaged her legacy and allowed another program to tumble to depths unknown in UT history. Additionally Hart has made the unpopular decisions that needed to be made to get this program solvent once again. Lets face it, Dave Hart came into a 6 alarm fire and anyone who thinks it was going to be easy to turn this around was crazy.

I do agree with a previous poster though and wonder why its necessary to extend a contract that is in force for another 5 years? I would like to see the turn before I go crazy and extend the AD.

I agree with your whole post but only have a comment on your last paragraph. I don't understand the extension either. To me Hart is just doing his job. We don't even know how Butch Jones will work out yet. I guess I am not used to money "loosely" being thrown around like that, especially since we were supposed to be hurting for money.

mcarrico60 (Inactive) writes:

Any chance Dave will be gracious and offer not to accept the $50,000 to help the University? I sure he does not need it!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to ModelMaker:

The way I calculated it, one of the positions Hart terminated paid $50,000 a year. That's exactly the amount of the bonus..Hmmmmm???

antonio14313 writes:

I think that the so called "vol truth squad" is a hoax, and its only ONE person with MULTIPLE sign ons. There; I feel better now. GO VOLS!

t

Sir_Spanky writes:

Tennessee doesn't know how to extend a contract without including a bonus. The bonus verbage must be pre-printed on the form itself and they just write a dollar amount on the blank line.

pcshowtime writes:

one question Why???? no one is knocking down the door to hire him away. why do it????

volboy81 writes:

Firing Dooley and Mason & hiring Butch are 3 good reasons for a raise! Maybe he'll get another one when he fires Moshak, the 2nd of the ungreatful $#@*&^#!

antonio14313 writes:

in response to GatorHater1998:

He deserved it with the hire of butch!

I think that's the exact reason why he got this extension. As a reward for hiring coach jones, and the resurgence of the excitement for Volunteer Football (despite where he came from). Go Vols!!!

t

antonio14313 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I think UT could do a lot worse than Dave Hart, he stopped the bleeding of athletic funds and reorganized the athletic department from the ground up. Protocol positions (which were created to place a body at a desk, not productive or needed) were eliminated. I wish the Tennessee department of transportation would this restructuring. Too many chiefs and not enough braves.

Exactly. Dead on. Go Vols!

t

antonio14313 writes:

in response to volfan1202:

Dave Hart is over the entire Athletic Department, not just football. That's what AD means. Athletic Director. Football, basketball, baseball; I think you get the picture. If not, google it.

"Sunshine pumpers" is probably better than whatever you're pumping. And, you really should be careful with that: ya might catch something ya just can't simply wipe off. Juss sayin. ;)

Go Vols

t

antonio14313 writes:

in response to MetroplexMojo:

Makes a ton of sense! Go Vols.

t

volforeverandever writes:

in response to NashvillePreds:

Viva la Hart
GO Vols

While I can agree with most of your comments you would be wrong about Union University.Their academics outstanding and average ACT scores on freshmen entering is tops.They recently were named the 2nd best university in the south.Not to shabby.In other words not just anyone can get in.Yes they are a very good school.A diploma from Union will open doors ahead of others.

cdamna1 writes:

I just cannot believe a broke athletic dept who owes millions of dollars in buy-outs, gave a guy a $50,000 raise which is probably more than the average household income of the state of TN.

It just rubs me the wrong way. Hard to support such actions in light of their current financial situation.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to volforeverandever:

Great counterpoint, UU has definitely turned the corner from a local Baptist College into a first class University. They now have several campuses in Memphis & Nashville and their enrollment has tripled in the last decade.

eduardo writes:

FOR WHAT??????????

Classof72 writes:

“I appreciate the confidence and commitment Chancellor Cheek has demonstrated by extending my contract,” Hart said in the release.

They both appear to be 'confidence men', and both appear to be in need of 'commitment'.

There is no truth to the rumor that Dave Hart is pressuring Butch Jones to name Tyler Bray as Offensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks Coach. That would be as silly as hiring Sal Sunseri to run the defense. Oh, wait. Nevermind.

UTvols33 writes:

in response to eduardo:

FOR WHAT??????????

Doing his job (debatable), I guess.

volforeverandever writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Predicted with pinpoint accuracy Bray drafted in the first round.
That told me all I needed to know about your football knowledge.
I would not be calling anyone a baboon after you made that statement.

NashvillePreds writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

My mistake to offer a rational argument to a person whom believes their message board rantings have any bearing on the direction of the University of Tennessee.
Enjoy your misery!

NashvillePreds writes:

in response to volforeverandever:

I'm not trying to hate on Union, but I've lived in Tennessee my whole life. I have no idea where Union University is physically located. I know of one graduate from the school. IMO, Union University is not a school that would open more doors than UTK.
I don't mean to disparage Union, but I stand by my original comments.

WaltGoVoIs writes:

in response to underthehill:

Peyton said his boss - John Elway - asked him to contact Coach Jones in connection with the Colorado job.

But even if "Your Cheating" Hart had hired, say - Sal Sunseri - as head coach, I bet he would still have gotten this bonus and extension.

I mean -after all - Hart hasn't done ANYTHING right yet (discounting how Coach Jones fell into his lap).

Walt

UT '81

volforeverandever writes:

in response to NashvillePreds:

I don't mean to disparage Union, but I stand by my original comments.

Union University is located in Jackson.It over the years has been growing at a rapid pace.Their faculty have been recognized many times as one of the best in the nation.Average scores will not get you in.This past freshman class ACT average was one of the highest in the nation.Union is recognized as one of the top schools in the nation.I understand what you are saying about opening doors.I guess that would depend on the major.Example would be that they have one of the best nursing schools and Pre-Med.They have an acclaimed business school and a top music dept.Students from around the country line up for these spots.It is quite expensive to go there.Tennessee has many majors that would be better to have from there.Just saying Union is not a second rate school,they are one of the best the nation and have the awards to prove it.

WaltGoVoIs writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

LOL!

Great stuff.

Walt

UT '81

WaltGoVoIs writes:

in response to volforeverandever:

I don't know about that but I do know that "UU" is an acronym dying for some graffiti.

Walt