y9since80 writes:

in response to DawgDayAfternoon:

Martinez is nothing but one of our culls; just like Dooley and Sunseri were Nicky's culls; just like Cheek and Hart are Gatur and FSU culls. That's all the Vols can hire anymore. That includes Butchie Boy, a Brian Kelly clipboard holder and errand boy.

It's 4-8 or 5-7 this year.

Little girls should not be posting on a football sight

CoverOrange writes:

Um, yeah, taunting is going to get trolls to stop posting.

Facts, or lack thereof, don't stop them either.

Like cockroaches, they serve no purpose but will always be there. No need to get down on the floor with them.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to DawgDayAfternoon:

It's 4-8 or 5-7 this year.

You would sell your sole to the devil to be a clip board holder for Brian Kelly. I Looked up dumb in the dictionary earlier and was told to see DawgDayAfternoon.

west_tn_volfan writes:

in response to kazoo:

"Randolph's helmet did appear to make contact with North's helmet." Really? Didn't see the play--but I hope they are not going to call penalties and eject players because of helmet-to-helmet contact. It will be a circus--absurd. Ball-carriers often run low and bent over: there is no way you cannot make contact with a helmet when you are tackling! Yes, deliberate attempts to launch at someone with a helmet should be flagged--but nothing else. Watch it: This rule will be a DISASTER this year with officials making bad judgment calls.

That is exactly what has coaches so worried about this new rule. No one wants to see players get hurt, but it is football and the games move at 100 mph. It will cost teams games if the officials don't use a healthy dose of common sense in the application of this rule. It has the potential to ruin the game as we know it.

gvegasvol writes:

in response to lemme_axya_this:

That's funny...I don't care who you are!

ReeseHallRelic writes:

in response to gvegasvol:

That's funny...I don't care who you are!

Correction: that's funny... but only if you're a homophobe. Or brain dead.

Enki_Amenra writes:

in response to kazoo:

If there is going to be no helmet-to-helmet contact allowed, why even where helmets at all?

Take off the helmets and play, no head protection would definitely reduce the number of spearheading tackles.

Can't lead with shoulder to make a tackle? No problem! Simply take off the shoulder pads. With no shoulder protection, players will surely not lead with their shoulders.

Quarterbacks getting beat up too much? No problem! Strap a belt on him and velcro 3 colored ribbons (known as flags) to it!

Really, I do think precautions need to be taken to insure the cranial safety of all players, but going with a no helmet-to-helmet contact rule is absurd.

Maybe they should look into designing better helmets. It seems the increase in head injuries coincides with time that helmets started popping off player's head, mid-play.

Losing a helmet due to collision was very rare, until somewhat recently. Now player's lose helmets requently.

I'm no expert, but it sure seems like something is going on with those hats that needs to be addressed. Maybe that would help maintain player safety as much as changing the rules of the game ever could.

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to GET_OVER_IT_YOU_LOST:

Never understood the life of a troll

Like a fat kid that got no cake, whine and try be relevant

Get a life

therightstuff writes:

in response to GET_OVER_IT_YOU_LOST:

So being that BuTch hasn't been in the SEC he doesn't know you have to run? Funny thing is that only three of the current head coaches even played in the SEC and only a few were ever even a position coach in the SEC. Some of the coaches did have playing experience at such powerhouse programs like SoMiss, Kent State, East Stroudsburg, and Ursinus(???). Wow. You probably were one who said Tebow wouldn't being able to run in the SEC after his freshman year as he went on to be one of the most dominate players in the SEC. Wow. Somebody better tell BuTch that he really shouldn't be here in the SEC. Guess LSU really screwed up when they hired Saban years ago and turned around and hired Miles to replace him.

flyingscot4 writes:

Vince Lombardi went to the Green Bay Packers as head coach and general manager in 1959. Everyone asked, "Who the hell is Vince Lombardi? We don't need a rookie coach to turn this around." His practices were brutal - players complained and the fans complained, "Who the hell does he think he is? He's Coach 'Nobody'." A lot of Packer fans ate a lot of "crow" and a lot of their own words and then stood in line to buy season tickets. Let's not judge Coach Jones and his staff too soon. People remember big mouth doubters longer and more often than big mouth supporters. Vol fans have loooooong memories. Just a wee bit of warning...

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

Tell us, would that be his shoe sole? Or perhaps you meant his "soul"? Other than your spelling, I'd say you're "write" though.

FanNotSheep writes:

A couple of observations: Physics and coaching are the reasons for the increased number of serious injuries. As players get bigger, faster and stronger, collisions are more violent. Players are taught all their lives to launch themselves at the guy with the ball. They are rewarded emotionally for big hits by their coaches and their teammates. Later they are rewarded by ESPN replays and big NFL paychecks.

Also: the media is now getting in on the act of publicly humiliating UT players. Dooley threw players under the bus in his press conferences. Jones does it during practice, then reporters divulge who and why. Maybe Jones wishes his comments had stayed on the field but now he knows they won't. Lots of people hate Dooley and love Jones, but seems like the players are still under the bus, the question is who you blame for throwing them there.

NYCApple writes:

in response to NINEwillstillbesofine:

I just poured you mom another drink. Listen, it's gonna be a long one tonite. Swing by in the morning and pick her up. Maybe bring some clean drawers, some mouth wash, and a fine tooth comb if you know what I mean!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to FanNotSheep:

I'm from the Dan Hawkins school on this issue: This is D1 college football!! The athletes are supposed to be getting life experience in college, and that means sharing or taking responsibility for their actions. If they can't take criticism from their coach, then what are they going to do in front of 95,000 screaming people on the road?

WaltGoVoIs writes:

in response to DawgDayAfternoon:

It's 4-8 or 5-7 this year.

Seriously. The Vols had the worst head coach in the country and the worst defensive coordinator and the most poorly conceived defensive scheme. We won five games. We are a lot more likely to win 8 or 9 than 4 or 5.

Walt

UT '81

Central_IL_Vol writes:

in response to DawgDayAfternoon:

It's 4-8 or 5-7 this year.

UGAY MUTTS = BUTCH'S female dogES!!

in response to FanNotSheep:

Since I am not on the practice field or in the lockerroom with the guys, I couldn't say how they feel about Butch & Co's methods of instruction and correction. I will say that players who want to be better want a coach who will push them as well as teach them. As I and others have said before, sometimes a player needs a pat on the back and sometimes he needs a kick in the butt. Some players need a different mixture of these things than others. As long as the criticism doesn't get personal or players come to feel that they are being picked on for no reason, what happens in practice stays in practice, as far as the actual participants are concerned. If the players feel that the staff is genuinely trying to help them be the best they can be, the manner of presentation may be less important. Outside observers should be aware that any interaction they may see is the merest fraction of all that occurs in daily life in the program. They could easily misinterpret what they see or hear on such rare occasions.

volistic writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Rivals story indicates Butch Jones has the program going in the right direction.

gvegasvol writes:

in response to ReeseHallRelic:

Correction: that's funny... but only if you're a homophobe. Or brain dead.

Maybe I will be as enlightened as you one day! Have a great rest of the week and try to not take yourself so seriously - I promise you no one else does!

ElizabethtonvolnNC writes:

in response to FanNotSheep:

So coaches aren't allowed to coach anymore...particularly when it's yelling at players in practice..?

sheesh!

Slats writes:

in response to mikethehistorystudent:

Coaching as in all types of leadership is about balancing positive reinforcement with being stern and critical. I hope CBJ knows what his players can take and how to make them better without dragging their self-esteem through the dirt. I can say that I've cursed my TV a few times when we missed multiple tackles. It looks cool to fly through the air and plant a hit, but leaving your feet often results in a missed tackle.

Just speaking honestly and personally, I'm one of the hardest working people I know. I'm mostly self driven with little tolerance for being insulted or disrespected. I know that getting dogged out after messing up a play wouldn't make me work harder next time. However, I'm also not physically talented enough to play D1 football.

If you are concerned about getting insulted or disrespected when you screw up you would not be mentally talented enough to play little league in any sport!

I played, Football, Basketball, Baseball, and Slow Pitch Softball through my school years and do not recall a coach I had that would not criticize you when you made a mistake. That coach is pointing out errors and trying to make you a better player and a better person.

Had a football coach once that would kick your butt and call you names! Think he was probably one of the best coaches I ever had!

You have a long road ahead if you cannot take some constructive criticism along the way!

antonio14313 writes:

in response to bUTch_please:

According to the paper, it was a 98 yard drive, not run. 2nd team defense against 2nd team offense, 15 handoffs and Hill carried most of the load. Lane said they were running downhill and changed the tone of the entire practice. Good stuff happening.

i don't know if this was already said, but, from what i read, there were TWO different drives: one was a 98 yard run on 1 play, and the other was a series of plays covering 98 yards on one drive, all being running plays.

in my opinion, the one play one run for 98 yards was a busted defensive play. that, and it was said that there were "several missed tackles", and i'm hoping that in real time that these tackles would have been made (cause in practice, i believe that you can't truly tackle a player, only wrap up the player?? like in the pros???...). and, in the other drive that took multiple plays (14 i think), well, the o-line is the best in the country. the d-line needs to step up. now, having said that, maybe the d-line stops that drive against an average o-line. but, maybe not. hopefully that was just a single bad drive for the d, and hopefully not just a single great drive for the o...

go vols!

t

ReeseHallRelic writes:

in response to gvegasvol:

In this day and age, it's not all that "enlightened" to not celebrate homophobic (and sophomoric) "humor". The original comment was tasteless enough to get removed by the moderator, but your suggestion that it was that funny and HAD to be viewed as funny by everyone was, well, stupid. It's not a matter of me taking myself too seriously; it's a matter of you needing to be just a touch less crude. Don't worry, though; you're probably bound to grow up some day.

FanNotSheep writes:

in response to ElizabethtonvolnNC:

sheesh!

You misunderstand me. The coach has to correct his players and how he does it is his business. I wonder what Jones thinks about the media putting his comments out there with the names of players. If he is OK with that, then I don't see much difference between him and Dooley on this issue. And UT fans almost universally criticized Dooley for calling out his players in the media.

I like Jones allowing more media and fan access to practices. I didn't and still don't like it when coaches or reporters publicly humiliate amateur athletes. And I really dislike fans who seem to only come to games to ride opposing players the whole game. Even if it helps the home team, which I doubt, it shows your lack of class -- at least in my book.

in response to FanNotSheep:

I suspect Jones is OK with the media coverage, even when he is sharply correcting players, because he knows that most people who have played team sports know that coaches can sometimes be, uh, colorful in the way they correct people. As long as he isn't cursing them or demeaning them as people, it's just part of the game. Military trainers are much the same way.

Some coaches are famous for having a much less demonstrative manner of coaching. John Wooden would be such a one. Some go far in the other direction like Bob Knight. I don't necessarily see it as one approach being "classier" than the other, just a difference in manner. I can't help but think that some people are making more out of this than it warrants.