subdoc32 writes:

CBJ: we really got our butts kicked by Austin Peay today, 35-0...
Players: Coach, it wasn't us. It was the grey uniform.
CBJ: you guys are absolutely right. lets go back to the boring and bland orange/white ones.
Players: Yayyyyy!

you whiner's are pathetic. Uniforms have nothing to do with your ability to tackle, catch and throw. If you don't like the uni's, then don't watch or go to the game. That will free up more tickets for the REAL fans who want to watch the Vols!

BigOrangeFreak writes:

in response to proudveteran:

The biggest problem that I now have is with Coach Butch Jones talking out of both sides of his mouth about maintaining Tennessee Traditions...Jones by his own choice junked the Orange & White traditions of Tennessee. I have no more confidence in him as a person...another super "slick" talking Kiffin!

Please either shut up or get off your high horse. Your comment may qualify as one of the most moronic ever made on this site. Its hard to pack so much stupid into a couple of sentences.

Being a "Proud Veteran" doesn't entitle you to make self-righteous, demeaning comments about others.

Particularly your betters.

Ayres_Hall writes:

It's really the pre-video game generations vs. the video game generations.

I'm in the former but I understand how and why the teenagers and adult jock sniffers love the video game unis.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to volthrunthru#658770:

Yahoo is NOT generational, as most audience research shows---especially Yahoo Sports. It has a balance of young and old on the site...

And these people almost all are saying the new look is bad, bad to horrible...

Pretty soon Tennessee will not be a program that anyone knows or feels allegience to in the same way or at the same level as historically, seems to be the concensus...

Everywhere else I've seen, Facebook, here....the reaction is positive to the new uniforms, not the overwhelmingly bad reviews you're seeing from those yahoos.

I will also post this everywhere I can:
They really need to hold off on the grey uniform until next year. It should be worn at a home game where the whole game and gameday experience is dedicated to paying tribute to that undefeated 1914 team, and descendants of the players/coaches are invited and introduced on the field at halftime.

Come on? You're going to blow that PR opportunity by wearing them this year when next year is the 100th anniversary of that team? What are you thinking? I'll bet if Jones told them he wanted to wait, all the players would understand the reasoning.

That 1914 team went 9-0, including 4 shutouts -- 89-0, 67-0, 66-0, 27-0 -- and outscored their opponents 374-37!

Love the look though.

Ayres_Hall writes:

The all-white combination is so classy and clean looking. It's awesome! I will purchase the new white jersey. #7 if it will be available.

govols26 writes:

in response to proudveteran:

He gets a uniform that is gray with some orange and white to be worn ONCE and you think he junked orange and white?? Seriously? Someone obviously has some trust issues here because if I remember correctly there were 4 other uniforms and they were all orange and white. Let's not be so dramatic here...

maciste54 writes:

I'm 59. I like the unis. I got use to gray a long time ago. lol

BearGapVol73 writes:

I sure hope that they wear them at the Oregon game. May be we could like, you know, get a glitter cannon and a fog machine and like play swiperboy instead of that old lame southern ommpah band stuff. And, then, like instead of that old-timer running through the obsolete tee and stuff they come on the field in rhinestone caddys wearing gold lame overcoats and then like whip'em off and there's new uniforms! I would be so awesome. I bet we could like make MTV!

DC82_Vol writes:

What I think is lost is the fact we are not getting rid of our traditional style (Orange and White) uniforms. So we have a uniform that has a different color that the kids/recruits/student-athletes really like. I think it is revitalizing our football program with some positive energy. Gutsy move on the coaches part to listen to his players and not just the fan base. People are really going to gripe about a uniform we are going to wear once a year? Yeah, we have a lot of whiners in this world.

rbwtn writes:

I'm an older Vols Fan and I like the change why because we're embarking on a new era in Knoxville and the SEC competition is going to be much greater as other conferences catch up. We have to be on our marketing toes and anything that catches attention is worth it and example is the team we're going to play soon Oregon what will they wear when they play the Vols? I'm glad to see the old Traditional fans, of which I'm one like the Uniforms don't stop experimenting in all sports at UT.

jcp201 writes:

Butch Jones has so far done great in recruiting, he has the team fired up and I'm excited about this season. I guess I qualify as old fart, and I have no problem with the new gray uniforms. They aren't wearing them all the time, and Smokey gray actually fits.. Smokey mountains, etc... Of course, ORANGE is always the main color as it should be..

Irate_Wanderer writes:

Watch this video and check out the PLAYERS reaction. Also, I saw the tweet from Coach Jones about recruits blowing up his twitter about the new look. They loved it. This is modern college football. Get used to it. I for one, and I am 36, like them.

Go Vols!!!

DukeDeLuca2 writes:

Why not green? That's the color of money. It seems to be at the root of all decisions in the UT athletic department.

Go Big Green!

TheCopper writes:

in response to proudveteran:

Wow! Jones introduces an alternate uniform that they will only wear once or twice and all of a sudden, he is a lying snake in the grass that is trashing all of UT's traditions. Maybe your screen name should be "proudmoron". Your comment is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Grow up!

BigOrangeFreak writes:

in response to volhome:

Ah, Moose, I see that you are someone fooled by the marketing department. Just because they load a webpage that states grey is in the palette does not make it true. They just as well could have substituted the color lavender on that page, and it would have not been true. If they wanted to add a color, then do what we have traditionally done in the past. Poll the students, poll the alumni, poll the fans. Instead they shove a new color down our throats without a thought of how it would be accepted. Shame on UT, and shame on the lemmings and folks with no true ties to the Orange and White for not seeing that the wool is being pulled over their collective eyes.

You said - "Just because they load a webpage that states grey is in the palette does not make it true.

and

Shame on UT, and shame on the lemmings and folks with no true ties to the Orange and White."

You like throwing the word "true" around alot but don't seem to understand what it means. I get so disgusted with all you self-proclaimed "true fans." The fact is, gray IS a color listed as one of Tennessee's colors. Perhaps you (and all your cronies) should pay attention to the facts that matter. The recruits and players LOVE the new unis.

And that's the truth.

bUTch_please writes:

Funny how many talk about putting up the grey once we get our butts kicked. With that logic..based on what I've seen the last 8 years...should be playing every game butt nekked...with a black jersey.

Go Team #117....earn back the colors.

juststopwhining writes:

They misspelled the name of the guy in the article who actually liked these stupid-looking gray uniforms. It's JaCass.

TheCopper writes:

in response to subdoc32:

CBJ: we really got our butts kicked by Austin Peay today, 35-0...
Players: Coach, it wasn't us. It was the grey uniform.
Players: Yayyyyy!

Yes! Awesome post.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to juststopwhining:

They were talking about you? Really? Wow.

BTW, you should try living by what your user id says.

IndyVolFan writes:

in response to proudveteran:

Coach Jones promised to keep and enhance Tennessee traditions...then junks the first order of tradition...Orange & White. He simply did not live up to his promises. Respect is gained by delivering promises...Jones did not.

Is this John Adams in disguise? Gray was worn in 1914 (I think) and do you own ANY gray T-shirts that have the orange on them...throw them away or forever be labeled a hypocrite. Get over yourself.

NEYLANDS_GHOST writes:

Everyone needs to come to one universal conclusion.....the ORANGE ON ORANGE (Jersey/Pants) uniform is down right UGLY.

Where whatever they want but these uniforms should be burned.

Personally, I like the new alternate uniforms and so will the players, I hope we wear them often

VOLS_SEC_RULES writes:

in response to DukeDeLuca2:

Go Big Green!

Actually, green might be OK if it were....camoflauge mixed with orange. Players could grow some beards, win some games, and we would all be HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY!!!!!!

ATX_VOL_FAN writes:

too many people griping about "change". Did you not hear "in 1914 they wore grey jerseys and went undefeated". Grey has been an official color longer than Orange has. These are "ALTERNATES". Only to be worn ONCE, maybe twice this season. The new recruits love them, which will help get them signed. The players love them, which will motivate them to play better. I understand some people can't open their minds to new ways of thinking. If you're a Vol fan, you'll embrace and accept ANYTHING that happens to your team. Don't be a negative nancy all the dang time. Be supportive 100%. Go Vols.

brokendownoldvol writes:

It's just a little embarrassing. You will never see Alabama, Auburn, Oklahoma, Texas, or USC etc. come out in grey uniforms.

JSmith525 writes:

in response to proudveteran:

I don't see where Coach Jones is talking out of "both sides of his mouth". He has been nothing but straight forward in every thing. You on the other hand, I can see with every post where you are talking out your arse.

brokendownoldvol writes:

in response to BearGapVol73:

Have to wear white on the road unless the home team wears white.

tanasi2 writes:

BLACK instead of the grey would look much better and would best highlight the Orange. The BLACK jerseys worn in the Kiffin era SC game were great!!! The grey is UGLY!!!!

Irate_Wanderer writes:

in response to volhome:

"load a webpage"??? Really??? You probably think that the moon landing happened in a Hollywood parking lot too. Gray his been on the uniforms before. As recently as the late 80's. I remember the numbers had a gray outline.

As for polling the students, again, watch the reaction to the gray uniform from the players...

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to brokendownoldvol:

That's a real small % out of the 130 FBS schools. I do know what you mean, and technically UT didn't have to do this they are the flagship university for the state of Tennessee. They did it to appease the generation of athletes that are buying trendy shoes/clothes, it's a marketing tool to add a little flava to the UT brand.

Irate_Wanderer writes:

in response to NEYLANDS_GHOST:

Where whatever they want but these uniforms should be burned.

I think the idea of it is cool, but for some reason, the pants and jerseys never seem to be the same shade. Maybe it is the material. But yes, they do tend to look bad. They should not wear those. In addition, I was at the infamous orange shoe game vs Alabama. Not saying that butt-kicking we got was the uniforms fault, but it was atrocious looking.

I also agree with you on the new alternate uniforms.

Go Vols!!!

Pompey writes:

....let's just chuck the whole orange thing and develop all new colors....tradition is kind of silly anyway...we can wear new colors each game...wouldn't that be fun...!

lomas98 writes:

Oh no.....another article and more stupid comments on a uniform they will wear ONCE. It's not like they have rewritten the maxims or doing away with the vol walk. In this day of conferences adding and losing teams, playoffs, social media, and uniform marketing, this alternate uniform is just the norm for college football these days.

GatorHater1998 writes:

in response to lomas98:

Exactly, people are acting like these are gonna replace the Orange and White uniforms. It's just gonna be for one game.

BigOrangeFreak writes:

Here's some advice for all the whiny, naysayers who can't seem to embrace any kind of change. (Positive included.)

You can get glad in the same damned pants you got mad in.

No uniform change required.

proudveteran writes:

in response to Henley-Street-Bridge:

The First Game we get our A's Kicked in those new fangled Gray uniforms, is the day they all go back on the shelve too..

GO BIG GRAY (NOT)

That is the second game of the season - Western Kentucky! Then it is Oregon.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Pompey:

I do think they should place the 3 stars symbol of the state flag on the helmet or jersey. That would look tough and show our volunteer heritage as well.

SFOrange writes:

Generational? I think its more conservative vs more open-minded. It's about time some "new" was introduced into our unis. I'm a '81 grad - and have been wanting a signal of change for years. Kiffin did it (black jersey) and now Hart/Jones push forward. UT has national exposure and recruits nationally, so showing "newness" keeps us in front of the public (see Oregon).
Great move.
Go Vols.

ChadsFordVolunteer writes:

in response to volhome:

Exactly! These fools on here will believe anything; so why not some bovine scat from the Office of Communications - created in the last couple of days - that some color "Smokey", that no one ever heard of once in over 120 years, is an official UT color. Since we're going to change or color schemes based on what numbskulls who live on Xbox like, and will never set foot in a class on the Hill, why not just cancel and concede The Third Third Saturday too. Because you know the MEN down in Tuscaloosa aren't doing this and are probably all having a hearty laugh-fest.

GatorHater1998 writes:

in response to proudveteran:

That is the second game of the season - Western Kentucky! Then it is Oregon.

These uniforms (which will be worn for ONE game) are a reward for the players THAT ACTUALLY PLAY for The University of Tennessee. If you don't like it, take your unnecessary negativity and root for another team, while us unconditional vol fans celebrate a top 5 recruiting class and the return to prominence for the Volunteers.

ebrownvol writes:

Did NOT like the black jerseys a few years ago and DO NOT like these jerseys. Coach Jones had said in the paper - minor changes to the uniforms while maintaining tradition. Well, I was not around in 1914 but my wife and I have had season tickets since 1972. We like Orange & White. As Coach Martin said in his e-mail last year to the basketball fans "Wear Orange - not white, black or blue - Wear Orange". That is exactly what we believe in wearing.

GO VOLS!!!

BruisedOrange writes:

From a fan since the early 60's with careers in graphic design and image consulting, 1 opinion / 2 parts

Having heard about the uni's on the radio while driving back to Tennessee, I was actually a bit relieved when I saw the photos. It could have been much worse. Gray and silver are the colors of machines, not men (a distinction not made by the current generation). UT orange and some grays are compatible colors (sure, I would have preferred a lighter grey personally) and keeping the traditional block numerals helps. Calling it "smokey" gray was brilliant, if inadequate, PR. Overall, the new alt. uni does look like Tennessee wearing gray--and not like a totally different team. As compromises go, the grey uni is about as good as one could hope for. More on compromise in part two.

Some offbeat, generalized, cultural observations on the uni generation gap:

COLOR
Today's recruits grew up on Batman (dark gray, black, and a little dark midnight blue). The older of us grew up revering Superman (bright red, yellow and blue). Superman didn't even wear a black belt. We remember the introduction of color TV, color computer monitors, and color laser and ink jet printers. We automatically associate vivid colors with progress and excitement.

MAN/MACHINE
Today's recruits grew up watching football-players-as-robots open each broadcast segment of "The NFL on Fox." Many of their fantasy heroes have been robots, transformers, or similar. In real life, look at today's soldiers compared to those of WWII, Korea or 'Nam. Modern warriors on patrol look like machine/man hybrids. And, yes, their camo is shades of gray.

When we grew up, anthropomorphic robots in comics, movies and TV were usually tools of oppression (robotics being a threat to well-paying manufacturing jobs) or threats to the uniqueness of our human identity (the borg).

[cont'd]

BruisedOrange writes:

[cont'd from above]

TOTEMS
What sociologists call totems are symbolic representations of desirable characteristics. Native Americans incorporated feathers, claws and bones of animals whose skills or attitude they coveted. It's also why most football teams were traditionally named after predatory animals or warriors. (Note: if Native American references are fully disassociated from team names, the following generation will associate once proud nations with casinos and alcoholism. I know that's ugly, but Hey--everyone gets stereotyped, so better to encourage the stereotype you'd prefer!) As for the totem value of the volunteers we're named after... they didn't leave home to serve coffee and doughnuts.

TRADITIONS
But there are some things people dissing traditionalists need to understand. Anybody can do "new." New goes as deep as a coat of spray paint, and can be purchased with other people's money. The people defending tradition are not about fashion--they're defending the VALUES that have come to be associated with those otherwise insignificant symbols and colors.

Tradition is always and only earned by hard work, brick by brick. Tradition takes years to form, built up by successive layers of success-on-success, win after win, those daily battles in practice gradually accumulating over decades to form the hardened identity of a winner. Tradition can't be donated by some rich alumnus wannabe who's never put on pads for anything more than wart removal.

Slipping into a poly-spandex layer of "new" makes you... what?
New?
So what does that make you tomorrow?

But instead, like the ancient warrior preparing for battle, cladding himself with ancestral talismans, eagle feathers, bear claws and wolf fangs strung over his chest, when a player clads himself in the "same ol' boring orange & white" he plugs into something bigger than himself... bigger than just his team... bigger than his coaches and all the fans in the stands. He joins legendary greats and Hall of Famers--and all those who went on to live normal, mundane lives, but are still remembered by name, revered by hundreds of thousands for that one play, one signature moment re-told each fall that makes him part of history and a cherished part of a shared tradition we pass on proudly to our children.

Traditions are too valuable, too long in the making, to fritter away on adolsecent myopia and "look-at-me" value systems. I'd rather see coaches challenge their recruits to man-up to a higher value system. Making big decisions based on something as shallow as "looks" just about guarantees future failure in life. The reason traditions are defended by old people is because only old people really understand how difficult they are to replace, how much they involve, and how many generations it takes to build a new one.

powellvol82 writes:

in response to subdoc32:

Sure! because i'm sure CBJ made this decision all by himself, with no AD involvement at all! You whiny a s s fair weather fans are pathetic...

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to ebrownvol:

GO VOLS!!!

And you and your wife can wear orange til the cows come home..Good grief, do you think UT officials are going to invade your home and remove clothing items??

deputy658 writes:

My blood runs ORANGE , but if the VOLS can get on the field with Florida , Georgia and Bama and at the end of the day no matter the final score those teams can say they were in an old fashioned SEC battle then I don't care if the uniforms are pink. Well maybe not pink , but you know what I mean.

ancientvolfan2 writes:

One must note how unsuccessful Alabama has been at recruiting and winning clinging to their old uniforms. Using the same old uniforms is probably the number one reason for the decline in Alabama football.
I would have thought that teams can recruit and win based on money spent and relationships between coaches and players. As a old timer, 1951, I would be sad to see the Orange and white go, but I wouldn't die because of it. If new uniforms gets more money into the program fine. But if it's winning not the uniforms?

volistic writes:

in response to MikeNPS:

How could we not like those uniforms? Easy. Black is NOT a UT school color and should NOT be the color of the uniforms. Those were the ugliest, most pathetic uniforms the Vols have ever worn, until perhaps this year.

I think Steve Spurrier and the 2009 Gamecocks agree with you.

powellvol82 writes:

in response to ebrownvol:

GO VOLS!!!

I'd say its a safe bet to say that the athletic department could care less what you believe in wearing. No one is keeping you from wearing what you want. In the meantime I'll wear my orange and grey, and also my orange and black.

jenna1009001 writes:

I like the gray uniforms. In fact I would perfer to see the team wear the all gray than the All Orange. That is partly due to the fact that ever time we wear the all orange we seem to lose and that goes back over 20 years. Plus the orange on orange is way to much.

bUTch_please writes:

in response to jenna1009001:

..and over 20 years, including what was shown yesterday, have the jersey and pant orange ever matched?