MetroplexMojo writes:

in response to BTKidd:

Those are all credible points. I would be more than satisfied if Jones turned out similar results to the three you mentioned.

Although I am pretty confident about the future, I know 2013 is going to be a challenge. Other than the OL (which I think is good but overrated), is there another position grouping that is above average in the SEC? You combine the overall lack of talent/depth, the schedule, and unlearning three years of Dooley and that's a recipe for a team to experience some struggles. As long as the team doesn't quit, improves week to week, eliminates most of the stupid stuff we've seen the last 4 years, and continues the recruiting momentum, the team will be well positioned to get back on track in the W/L department (although it may not happen in 2013).

antonio14313 writes:

#1 worley, #2 peterman, #3 dobbs, #4 ferguson. just to start the season. but, worley holds on to the #1 spot all year long tho (amazingly!).

in 2014 all 4 will stay at UT (unless worley forgoes his senior season and goes to the NFL, which we've seen stranger things happen...). there's a leapfrog tho! dobbs passes peterman: #1 worley, #2 dobbs, #3 peterman, #4 ferguson.

in 2015 worley is gone (if not earlier). the other 3 will battle for #1. dobbs wins that spot. peterman (a senior with an extra year of elligibility) becomes the #2. ferguson (a junior) then transfers out. the new #3 is a sophomore that came in in 2014 (redshirt freshman cause he sat out 2014). #4, same as #3.

in 2016 dobbs (a senior, coming off a break out junior season) is #1, staying at UT for his senior season, shooting for a SEC championship, AND a national championship. #2 peterman (staying for his 5th year) is the best backup QB in the nation. peterman (a senior) is kicking himself for not staying at UT for the championship runs.

in 2017 the 2 QBs that both came in in 2014, and both sat out that year, battle for #1. they're nicknamed the "twins" because they both sat out their freshman years. but, this is where they part, cause the #1 plays out his 2017 season, and forgoes his senior year in 2018 to go to the NFL, and the #2 stays to become the #1 in 2018.

relax, i'm no expert. i just like to talk Tennessee Volunteers football. ;)

but it all sounds about right...

GO VOLS!

t

Harrit writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

Two points: the guy you describe isn't on the roster. Secondly, why do you trust Coach Butch? Even Derrick Dooley exposed him as below average.

1st, #11 is Dobbs, better re-check that roster, and 2nd, ask yourself, could Dooley win at Michigan St, or gather up wins vs the Hurricanes (3x's), Pitt (2x's), Syracuse, Louisville (2x's), Va Tech, and the like? You can go ahead and mix in a Coach Jones win vs Vandy too. How dare you mention Dooley and Jones in the same breath.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe.

I'mn not certain I ever agreed with you before this?

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I say run a different quarterback in ever play and who ever has the best stamina gets the job.

Or you could go with experience till he proves different.

IPOrange writes:

in response to ATX_VOL_FAN:

Might as well start one of the Freshmen QB's that Jones recruited. If they're all so even, and we're rebuilding, you might as well go with Dobbs, or Ferguson, to rebuild WITH them.

However, whoever is the chosen one that is who I'll support 100%. Until he lets us down lol.

Anxiously waiting for the decision.

Who said they were all so even? It says they all improved. I don't care if he has one day of eligibility left, play the best one. Win the game in front of you. THEN plan for the next one.

antonio14313 writes:

in response to BTKidd:

Sadly, you think that is an effective comeback. Like it or not, until Jones makes it happen on the field there is a big asterisk there. He lost to the worst UT football coach in it's history with roughly the same talent. He made no adjustments whatsoever on defense just like Brian Kelly made no adjustment during the NC game. Sometimes records are bloated simply by playing in inferior leagues. He could turn out to be a big flop. Just because he has proven to be a great recruiter doesn't mean he can hack it on the field.

sorry, but you're way wrong.

"roughly the same talent"?? no, cincinnatti had way less talent than tennessee. how many NFL players did the bearcats have on that team? and, how many NFL players did the vols have on their team?

go vols.

t

Razzle writes:

in response to TNRiverRat:

Mopes and Gomers, experts all before and after the starter is named!

Once Coach Jones names the starter, watch how many come on here afterwards and share their expert opinions on why he is wrong and how much smarter they are, who they would have selected instead based on their expert observations and analysis ... from their couch.

It will be hilarious reading, something to look forward to soon!

Ain't it the truth!

Razzle writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

Newsflash, Clem. Cincinnati is in no way, shape, or form, a "major" game to any reputable SEC program, and NC State is a marginal team from a lousy conference. Neither of those were major games. Embarrassing.

Hey Ernest. Didn't you say the same thing about Louisville last year?

ChadsFordVolunteer writes:

in response to BTKidd:

Because Hart fumbled the hiring ball form coast to coast and had to wind up giving 18 million to a coach that's a whopping 50-27 in the bush league MAC and Big Least (riding Kelly's coattails at each stop), he has to be great. It's just like every delusional reason they had for why Dooley and Sunseri were great.

I called it on Dooley the day he showed what a managerial nightmare he was by precipitating an unnecessary feud with mega-donor and Vol letterman Charlie Anderson, not a month after he arrived. I called on Dooley's 5-7 last year. I called on the joke Sunseri on the day he was hired, while everyone on here was gushing over him and what a genius Dooley was for getting rid of Wilcox, who couldn't hack it in the SEC. Through all of it, all we heard, in response, was petulant denial, name calling, and love for Dooley and Hart's genius in hiring the great "Coach Sal".

Well, here it is again. It's 5-7 in 2013.

clemvol writes:

Had the Athletic Director known that there are so many "coaches" providing answers to tough team decisions Tennessee may have different coach right now. Before anyone gets their pants in wad i do understand this is just another avenue to mention or vent opinions. The Head Coach has been hired and is being paid along with his assitant coaches to make these kind of calls. Just let them do their job. They are with these guys every day and have a lot more insight than any of us will ever have. Enjoy the suspense for now and all will be fine. P.S. I still see 7 wins this year but again that just an opinion. Time will tell. Go Vols

SevenT writes:

I have no idea who Jones will select but I do know one thing.

Coach sure has "Slim-Pickins"

vol98champ writes:

I don't know. Wouldn't it be wonderful if billy and dc3 would say the same.

exlineman writes:

in response to ChadsFordVolunteer:

Well, here it is again. It's 5-7 in 2013.

Brett Roberts, you are bringing in most of your handles on this one topic.. You might as well bring in can't stand Saban, profession handicapper, Brett Maverick and the other dip stick names you like to throw on here. I see you have delta dawn Charlie on here as well. Brett, fans are sick of your lack of knowledge of Tennessee football. You don't let seven tongues say a lot, but when he does it is idotic just like yours. You need to get a life and get out of the sun, it has fried your brain, if you ever had one. You sure missed out on a lot of attention growing up, so this is your way of feeling important.

NYCApple writes:

in response to DawgDayAfternoon:

Justin Worley: Gatorade Player of the Year (Vol hype).

Truth: Three star, 24th ranked pro-style prospect. Offered by the Dawgs? No. 5-7 guaranteed? Yes.

Lets see.... Troll? Check. Fan of his own team but purposefully wishes 18 to 21 year old men a bad season? Yep. DawgDay is a Doooosh? Don't we all know it!

vol49 writes:

in response to DawgDayAfternoon:

Justin Worley: Gatorade Player of the Year (Vol hype).

^^^^^^bedwetter^^^^^^

Rock_E_Topp88 writes:

in response to ChadsFordVolunteer:

Well, here it is again. It's 5-7 in 2013.

Flowers....here is my prediction for 2013. I predict you and Toddygirl will still be buttclowns at the end of the season. You are his troll mentor and he is your little sock puppet. Toddy is the only one who buys what you are selling on here. I doubt even you believe half the **** you spew. But you do it to get some attention in your miserable life. Go away you sad little man...and take Toddy with you.

Central_IL_Vol writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

To be fair, Louisville falls into you idiotic category, also! They sure kicked the SH#T out of the UFAG GatorS in the Sugar, didn't they?

What say you DumbChump3?

tgiles1944#654264 writes:

We need QB that can run & pass - Sick of teams that we play defending 10 offensive players rather than 11.

tnvol16 writes:

in response to MetroplexMojo:

I agree that Butch has to prove it on the field but I've said it numerous times before...winners win and losers lose. The last 4 years should come as no shock to anyone since the two coaches were losers (22-35 when hired by UT). Coach Jones has won 4 championships in 6 years. Jim Tressel, Brian Kelly and Urban Meyer accumulated bloated records before going to UF, ND and Ohio State. While I question their moral compass, those 3 guys win big time. When put in a league against teams with access to similar type players, with similar facilities, and similar budgets, Coach Jones won championships 4 out of 6 years. I have my concerns but I'm much more confident than I have been in years due to the track record.

Exactly!

RememberWhen writes:

LMAO!!!!! Now I now why Peyton Manning was so good - he had about 50 of the world's greatest QBs teaching him while in Knoxville!!!! What a bunch of wannabe's!!

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

in response to Harrit:

You're right, my apologies to Dooley.

Dooley 45, Butch 23.

Doh!

vol49 writes:

in response to SevenT:

I have no idea who Jones will select but I do know one thing.

Coach sure has "Slim-Pickins"

The same can be said about your parents chromosome characteristics during your (mis)conception.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to Rock_E_Topp88:

Rock E,

Perfectly said friend. Trolls such as Wilted daffodil Flowers, Seven, Orange sand bar, and mangy Dawg........have this game plan.

Every day, they make this mad rush to the computer, knocking chairs over, jumping over the dog or cat..........just to get to the keyboard and try to give us the same boring stupidity.

They will have more screen names before the season is over than their dog has fleas.

As for the QB, let's just see who it is and not act like these above mentioned trolls. CBJ will make this decision and before several games will have been played, he'll settle into having a no. 1 guy.

Harrit writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

You're right, my apologies to Dooley.

Dooley 45, Butch 23.

Doh!

DC3, you know and I know Coach Jones is a vast improvement over the wide receivers coach down at Valley Ranch. The Vols just had too much fire power for the Bearcats that day, but Dooley gets no credit. Famous quote by Jones " as you guys know, there are no days off" famous quote by Dooley, "sure, I gave them the day off, they had a good camp, and I need to go see my wife!" what? Go see your wife after the Bowl game you loser!

GerryOP writes:

in response to ChadsFordVolunteer:

Well, here it is again. It's 5-7 in 2013.

8-4 ... or better.

fearthehound writes:

in response to TNRiverRat:

Mopes and Gomers, experts all before and after the starter is named!

It will be hilarious reading, something to look forward to soon!

So you, TommyJack, and a few others log in to the fan site where people comment and give their opinions, and you whine about it? It's an opinion site, bub. If you don't like it, don't read it.

Maybe you get more enjoyment reading OrangeBiatch or SevenTeeth or DC.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

You're right, my apologies to Dooley.

Dooley 45, Butch 23.

Doh!

Dooley 35 Spurrier 16.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to TommyJack:

So some of you mopes watch a little film and are now ready to select the starter. Criminy.

Sounds about right, TJ.

GONAVY writes:

The true test will be if Jones can survive on his own without following the recruiting success (who turn into players)of Brian Kelly. He has yet to do this. I'll give him 3 years. Let's see what he does.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

You're right, my apologies to Dooley.

Dooley 45, Butch 23.

Doh!

DC, you and this one game comparison BS..Are you also claiming that La Monroe has a better coach than Nick Saban? See how stupid you sound..

GerryOP writes:

in response to fearthehound:

Maybe you get more enjoyment reading OrangeBiatch or SevenTeeth or DC.

You know better than that 'hound. Or, are you "one of them?"

CoverOrange writes:

Austin Peay is a scrimmage game. Start the guy you want starting against Oregon. I have no idea who that will be. I'll hang up and listen to Butch.

BTKidd writes:

in response to MetroplexMojo:

I was thinking where UT would be rated simply by talent in the SEC. Position by position realistically they are only more talented than Missouri and Kentucky. That is it. I expect this year to be a grind. They will have to be extremely fundamentally sound to be competitive. This is what happens when people in high places push a fairytale for three years that couldn't coach, didn't recruit, and lied every step of the way to cover it up. I'm just thankful that it didn't last two more years or we would have been looking at a lost decade.

dvols writes:

Dobbs, this is Butch's guy, got him to flip at the last minute........

hmmmmm

BTKidd writes:

in response to ChadsFordVolunteer:

Well, here it is again. It's 5-7 in 2013.

You and i know there is a coaching ladder hierarchy based on success or failure.

1. At the bottom rung is the former worst UT coach in it's history who aren't even good enough to coach a high school team.

2. The next to last rung belongs to the average or slightly below average coach such as Mike Shula.

3. The middle rungs belong to the Lane Kiffins of the world who are above average but not near good enough to win a NC.

4. The rung just below the best coaches who always seem to have their team in contention but just fall short like Mark Richt.

5. At the top of the heap would be your NC coaches like the hall of famer Phil Fulmer.

I fear that coach Jones may be no better than Kiffin, an above average coach who will probably never win a NC. You know that would be perfectly fine with this bunch of fake UT interlopers. The question then will be why wasn't it good enough for the hall of famer?

GerryOP writes:

in response to BTKidd:

Looks like some SEC coaches disagree with you.

BTKidd writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Looks like some SEC coaches disagree with you.

You mean coaches such as Nick Saban who stated your hearthrob was bringing UT back to glory. Sorry, i would much rather take the word of an esteemed member of the "vol truth squad", ME!

GerryOP writes:

in response to BTKidd:

You are only great in your own mind. The rest of us see you for what you really are ... a jerk and a loser. And that you keep proving.

And BTW, It's always easy to tell how you know when you have been "schooled." You always revert to YOUR "alternate" life style. You and your "pattycake buddies" in a P.C.B. motel room every weekend.

rockypop writes:

It's interesting that BJ has said all along that no one has stepped up and claimed the job. This is an indictment of Worley, who is a rising Jr. with game and starter experience, as well as a great resume coming out of HS. Since his only competition is a redshirt freshman and two real freshmen, it's like Jones is saying that there's no more risk starting a freshman and giving him experience than starting a Junior who has two years of experience - including starts.

He seems to be building a case for starting a freshman (redshirt or real), and it has been obvious from the way he went after Dobbs that he really wanted him to be the guy. But, maybe Ferguson has shown a little more. After all, Alabama went after him, and they've been known to recognize talent.

My take is that Worley will be the safe choice until Ferguson or Dobbs is ready. Then, Jones will pull the trigger. He has shown in the past he's not afraid to do just that.

BTKidd writes:

in response to GerryOP:

You just posted the same thing on a different article. See, this is why they have to keep letting us come back on this site. It's one thing for you to post mindless drivel day after day. It is another thing for you to post repetitive, mindless drivel. Bad for business!

fearthehound writes:

in response to GerryOP:

You know better than that 'hound. Or, are you "one of them?"

What do you think, GOP? I've got about 400+ posts on here to judge that by. I just don't see the point in criticizing guys because they are commenting on an article about the competition among four quarterbacks and taking a shot at who they think might be the one to get chosen...or did I misunderstand the comment?

GerryOP writes:

in response to fearthehound:

Lighten up dude...

GerryOP writes:

in response to BTKidd:

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to BTKidd:

He repeated the truth, what's the problem??

fearthehound writes:

in response to BTKidd:

They 'have' to keep letting you come back? They keep letting you come back because they can't get rid of you. You would just adopt another alias.

fearthehound writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Lighten up dude...

K.

BTKidd writes:

in response to fearthehound:

You obviously have never heard the term i.p. address.

in response to volnvette03:

+! Let's see: Gatorade player of the year. Got thrown to the wolves when what's his name got injured (hint: never won a major game except Cinci and NC State)Really never got developed under Doolittle. And some fans want to throw him under the bus?

Yeah. Gotta say, I just don't get all the hate for Worley. He may not be the next Peyton, but I doubt he's a total stiff either. Didn't he beat Jadaveon Clowney's team in the SC state championship game? As you say, his only meaningful action came as a last-minute emergency replacement in a big game. I recall he threw one INT when Patterson ad-libbed on a route. From such a limited sample, too many "fans" have concluded Worley just doesn't have it. Glad I don't work for people who have "standards" like that!

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

I think it's very safe to say Jones had Worley penciled in at the start of the fall but like most coaches he played the open competition card to get the most out of his QB's and to keep them all happy but Ive been wrong a 100 times and Petermans strong arm and tight passes might rule the day. Sometimes I can't help but see Worley as Crompton 2.0

I think you might have a point here, but "Crompton 2.0" turned out to be pretty darned good, once he got some coaching and experience. Isn't he still at least rattling around NFL camps? I don't know who the starting QB will be and I don't care as long as the starter has the confidence of the coaches and players. CBJ won't pick somebody who the players won't follow or respect. Since all of them seem to be fairly high-caliber people, whoever is picked will likely be able to do the job, for certain values of "do the job" anyway.