Lazygolfer32 writes:

Hart on hiring cincy's coach what will he bring to the table. Spread offense doesn't work so well in the sec.how long have they given him to turn things around????

trubleoj#657755 writes:

Dear Coach Jones, you now have 100,000+ seat stadium, brand new multimillion dollar facilities and the entire Big Orange nation and tradition behind you. These are the keys to the Lamborghini. Now kiss the wife and kids and go convince some 17 and 18yr olds to drive us to championships. ps... Win your damn home games.
GBO, Section XX3

OwensboroVol writes:

This guy told two schools No just on the chance He could get the job at Tennessee. After Charlie Strong that is good enough for me. I want someone who wants to be here. He has been successful at all the schools he has been at, unlike Dooley. He also was in the MAC which means he had to recruit like hell to get good players. I believe everyone will be pleasantly surprised by this guy. Dave Hart should be commended for this hire.

volswinsome writes:

in response to TucsonVol:

You are the one that is nuts!!! Dooley beat this guy to death!!!! We should have kept Dooley!!!

Yes, Cinci is the only team with a winning record that Dooley beat. But as bad as UT was, the SEC beating a Big Least is what is supposed to happen. There's a reason why Saban didn't win 2 NC's at MI St. His success if you will was capped by being at that school in that conference. Besides, that's the only thing Dooleft did right...preparing the Vols to win the 1st game of the year (ie. you think TN would have beat Cinci or NC St in Nov?).

jenna1009001 writes:

I don't know much about Butch Jones. I do know this that the Vol nation needs to shut up and give the man a chance. He has a good core of players on the offensive side and hopefully we get some more defensive help from incoming freshman. That is more that Derek Dooley had when he was hired.

stepnee writes:

I am still upset that UT fired Derek Dooley. I think he needed one more season. I realize that the numbers didn't look great, but I really believe we were on the way back up after this season. We came close to beating several teams this year (even though we usually fell apart in the 4th quarter). Games that should have been blowouts weren't. We were ranked this year in the top 25, even though it was only for a week. Dooley just hired a new coaching staff and really hadn't gotten to play anyone he recruited. I just don't think firing him was the best move the University could have made. I tried desperately to find D. Hart's email address to no avail before they fired Dooley.

Kiffin left the program in a mess. I never liked him, and that feeling just deepened when he said the UT vs Alabama game was "just another game". He did not understand the SEC, nor did he fit the job... so it is a good thing he is back on the West coast. After Phil left, then Kiffin left, did they really expect Dooley to turn a team around in 3 seasons? Come on!

I am going to support Butch Jones, but I am not confident that we will have any winning seasons for a while. I just hope they don't give up on Butch before it is time! Give the team a chance!

kyvol98 writes:

in response to Volsguy:

Urban Meyer fell into a Gold mine as did Gene Chizik. Ohio state was not in this horrible position so seem to think it was and I still don't think Urban Meyer is a great coach. Florida Sucked wwhen he was coaching and Tebow left. Dave Hart sucks and I now can't stand the bastard. Plus I hate everyone who bashes others for NOT liking this hire because the truth be its a stupid hire and sometimes its ok to admit that. HORRIBLE HIRE!!!!

He Hate Me

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to utfan36:

UT done went bonkers this guy runs the spread UT runs the I unless he is goinging to keep CJC this is a C Dave Clawson all over again

Maybe you would rather they still ran the single wing. The spread with a SEC caliber defense will win, once you have the players. Ask some Gators, Urbie did it twice, A&M will do it, UT can too if you people let them come on in to the 21st century.
Give the guy a chance before you burn him at the stake. Let's see what kind of staff he builds & how they recruit, then play a few games. If he can't hack it, then have at it. If he's no good don't let him dooley around for three years, pull the plug & see if UTAD can get it right next time. Which I doubt.
GBO - Beat everybody.

AlpharettaVol writes:

in response to Rel2400:

Very good comment. 2 points to reiterate:

1. Winners win...this guy is a winner. Winning is contagious and so is losing. So much of sports is mindset. Hiring winners is always better than mediocrity.

2. The fact that he turned down jobs in hopes for the TN speaks HUGE! We now have a coach that knows how win and WANTS to be at TN!! This is a destination job for him.

The losers on this site that can't see the upside need to just move on. TN will never be good enough for them unless we are playing in NC game every year.

I'll be interested to see how he recruits, how the Juniors react to this hiring and how gets immediately involved in high schools in TN. It will also be very interesting to see how he assembles his coaching staff. We have some great talent that wants to come to TN but just like coaches...when there are better opportunities you have to look elsewhere.

Next year's schedule is tough...but expect an upset or 2.

Go Vols!

Another voice of reason is heard from. Many, many thanks.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to SummerfieldVol:

As Bear Bryant said about coaching. You coach according to the players you have, then you recruit accord to the offense or defense you want to run. I would think he will use the players we have and use them according to their ability to play.

The Bear even ran the triple option for a while & won in the SEC. I think Bama won a NC during that time.

in response to RockyMtnVol:

I believe after all the issues for the past 5 years that UT Fans are not confident about any coach unless it was Gruden or Saban. I understand why, UT has fallen to the lowest depths of UT Football history and the shock that everyone feels, is how did this happen so quickly? We can point our fingers at Fulmer, Hamilton, Kiffen, Dooly and Hart,however, the reality is..........this is what it is. How do we climb out of this hole? Butch Jones is our coach, we should support him 100% and stop acting like a bunch of spoiled kids. It is my opinion, the fan base has been extremely brutal to coaches and players. We harbor some of the blame as well. Lets bring in CBJ and get our mojo back!

Go Vols!!

I think you have pretty well captured the somewhat schizo nature of the current UT fan base. As I read all the comments throughout the search process, I constantly asked myself, "What the heck would it take to satisfy a majority of these fans?" One could easily imagine negatives associated with any conceivable hire. The facts are that hiring coaches is not an exact science and the Vols weren't in the strongest possible bargaining position, to say the least. Under the circumstances, Jones may well have been the best possible hire. He is a brave man to walk into this situation right now. As someone said above, next season's schedule is if anything tougher than those of the last couple of years. The NFL prospects among the juniors would have most likely been gone, no matter who was hired, so that shouldn't even have entered anyone's mind as a qualification for a new head coach. If Jones can convince any of them to stay, that would be a pleasant surprise. The only thing fans can do, as you said, is to support this guy 100% until he has time to prove one way or another whether he was the "right" guy.

dwolfcreek#397971 writes:

in response to Henley-Street-Bridge:

No Better than Coach Dooley, in fact, probably not as good. Big opportunity to bring Fulmer back to the VOLS is over for the last time.

Way to go HART (A Hart F...)

Fulmer is gone and we don't need him . They don't nobody want him , he'd be coaching if they did .

volinJC writes:

It doesn't matter what we believe. He is our coach now and we need to support him 100% because, if he fails, UT football may never return to being relevant in the SEC.

AlpharettaVol writes:

in response to exlineman:

AlpharettaVol, agree with your post. Don't you live in the same town as Eric Berry and his brothers, if so what is the latest on these two brothers? Would love to see them come to UT. It might interest you and others that Jalen Reeves Maybin is another Patterson, but only better. He plays the entire game offense as quarterback and corner back on defense. He has committed and has stated UT is still his school. He is the same size as Patterson. Saw him go against Jalen Hurd of Beech High. They both are better than Patterson. Jalen Hurd''s family is all UT, but he is waiting for the right coach at UT. He is just a junior, but could graduate this yr. as a 17 yr. old. Wants to study chemistry and engineering in college.

Both of these guys are 6ft. 3in. and can fly. Both are very difficult to tackle. Both know proper pass routes and their plays.

Berry's family lives on the other side of Atlanta. I had a chance to talk briefly with their father a few years ago at a Big Orange meeting and he was quick to say that the twins had more speed and more natural talent than Eric, so that's saying a lot. I believe one of them won the state 100-meter dash as a freshman. They continue to say they will keep an open mind about colleges and they don't seem to be committed to going to the same school. If we could get one of them it would be great, but if we got both it would be a grand slam!

cr1014 writes:

in response to StoneJackBaller:

We drilled Cincy last year by 3 TD's. I wouldn't call that almost beating Dooley.

Dude, look at the Cincy's record this season under Jones and now look at UT's record this season under Dooley,enough said. Who has a better winning record Dooley or Jones.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

Solid hire who should do well at UT. Big East Coach of the Year last year(that's right, he beat out Charlie Strong). If we weren't going to take a chance on Petrino, this was the best available coach out there. Way to go Hart.

Ironcity writes:

in response to exlineman:

STOP IT!! don't compare a high school junior and a nice recruit to a Junior in College who has had a monster season. I am sure those guys ahve potential to be better then anyone but putting out foolish statements like that create undue pressure that these kids have no chance to live up to. Also I think UT has proven time and time again Good Freshman usually get their butts handed to them in the SEC.

FWBVol writes:

The fact that he held out and turned down other jobs waiting for Tennessee to come calling makes Butch Jones the right choice although he wasn't the first choice.

It's time for the Vol Nation to get behind our new coach and support him as he does his part to again make us an elite program.

VolnTex writes:

in response to SandySpringsVol:

When Urban Meyer was hired by Florida, he had 4 years of head coaching experience, 2 in the MAC and 2 in the Mountain West, where he won conference titles both years.

Butch Jones has 6 years of head coaching epxerience, 3 in the MAC where he won 2 conference titles, and 3 in the Big East where he won 2 conference titles.

I'm not saying that this guy is the next Urban Meyer, but he's proved he can coach. Moreoever, he wants to be here and turned down a good job at Colorado to take the Tennessee job.

He's going to have far more resources at his disposal than he could have imagined at Cincinnati, and, if he puts them to good use, can build a great program at UT.

Welcome Coach Jones!

I'm sorry, your post has too many facts,is far too reasonable, and simply makes sense. As much as I appreciate it, this won't fly too well around here. Please include more hysterics and whining next time. Thanks.

OrangeCrush writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

Spot on with your comment. Alot of you Vol fans need to give him a chance to recruit and compete. IMO, we'll be just fine.

wolftever writes:

"this is one i could not turn down"...thats what jones told his players about accepting ut job....obviously,he looks forward to being ut coach...my gut feeling is he will turn out to be a good hire...

scvols writes:

He's a winner, and we like winners.

Vol1973 writes:

in response to volswinsome:

Ya'll are nuts. He's a solid coach with a winning percentage 800% better than Stooley's. With the state of our program right now, you might call it a "2nd tier coach" but that's a heck of land for a 5th tier program. Our schedule next year posts a min of 6 losses. Takes a lot of moxy to walk into that. CO & Purdue wanted him. It's a great hire and I don't think it's 2nd rate at all. Everyone's been asking who else do you want? TN gets a proven HC that can at least win twice what he loses and keeps a mid-major schoold competitive nationally. You're kidding yourselves if expected anything more, but this is not a 2nd rate hire. Good man and coach. Welcome to TN!

If you read this, dont' worry that the majority of TN fans voted no. They also all voted Kifftard & Stooley and most want Fulmer back. YOu're the right man for TN right now.

Go Vols! (well, in 2014).

Great post... you make a lot of sense !! Welcome aboard Coach Jones ! Go Vols !

tedstryker1980 writes:

I knew I did not trust Hart. Any 65 yr old who dyes their hair that way lives in an alternate reality.

steve22043#233791 writes:

I would have preferred Strong or Gruden, but based on the choices left, Jones is a great choice. Sure glad it wasn't Gundy

volunteerintexas writes:

I feel like I'm watching a different version of Bill Murray's GROUNDHOG DAY...

Dooley 2.0

jimr07 writes:

in response to chad954ut:

Better than 800% winning percentage. You shouldn't be allowed to post messages on this site.

Nor you...

spvol writes:

He's a WINNER. 'nuf said.

dunglidave writes:

in response to bbmon13#478091:

Boo! Hiss!

WOW!!! There was no one left. Who do you want to coach the vols? Call Mr. Hart and tell him.Tnessee is reaping was it sowed!

dwolfcreek#397971 writes:

in response to jenna1009001:

Good comment

OldNumber7 writes:

in response to StoneJackBaller:

I remember that game..seemed like everything went right for UT and Cincinnati was snake bit. I wouldn't put too much on that game.

chad954ut writes:

in response to jimr07:

Nor you...

Is that all you got ! LOL

vol_mania82 writes:

Dooley didn't beat Cincy last year imho Justin Wilcox did...if we had this year's defense against last year against Jones we would have gotten drilled...

dendeb18#1413083 writes:

in response to volswinsome:

Go Vols! (well, in 2014).

Amen brother. There are some real idiots that post on these boards. This is for all of them. NO ONE, I REPEAT NO ONE,wanted this job! Butch Jones knows full well he was not the first choice, but took the job anyway. That should tell you so-called Vol fans that he wants to be here.He is a proven winner, recruits well and demands excellence in the CLASS ROOM. What the hell else do you want?

BMSvol writes:

in response to volswinsome:

Go Vols! (well, in 2014).

Your nuts if u think winning the mac and big east= winning the sec.

vols would have owned the big east this year.

You get what u pay for; we have a 3 mill a year coach in a 5mill a year league.

tdvol1989 writes:

There will be alot of new people on this site, but those of you who have read my posts before know that I was HIGHLY critical of Dooley. And, I had a preference for some other guys that I thought had a better profile for our situtation.

However, I cannot in good conscience vote 'NO' on Butch Jones. He wanted the job. He stuck with it when passed over initially. He turned down other opportunities. He has 6 yrs of HC experience and has won at 2 different jobs. He has beaten teams with winning records. There is no way in this whole world that you can say that he is not a pretty big upgrade in ability, results, and experience than Dooley.

So, you cannot say this was a bad hire. No, it wasn't the big splash, but our program just got better. If you had told me when we fired Fulmer that we would end up with Dooley, I would have NEVER supported that change. If you had asked me if I would trade Derek Dooley for Butch Jones, then I would have said of course.

Dickattrade writes:

I just finished watching the press conference and just voted YES as the correct choice.
Coach Jones really impressed me with his candid answers//VFL

jcp201 writes:

I liked his press conference, and I hope he is going to be a winner.

VolnTex writes:

in response to BMSvol:

Your nuts if u think winning the mac and big east= winning the sec.

vols would have owned the big east this year.

You get what u pay for; we have a 3 mill a year coach in a 5mill a year league.

Urban Meyer won in two small conferences before coming to the SEC. One doesn't equal the other, but it has worked before.

A little research will show you that not a single coach in the SEC is making 5 million a year. http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id...

claiborneh writes:

The question is "do you believe Butch Jones is the right choice."
All answers are therefore what individuals believe. I would speculate that most people's opinions are based on what they read in the same articles, and by looking at his win/loss record. One can't fairly form an opinion by simply comparing wins and losses to other coaches without considering possibly hundreds of other factors and circumstances. With this is mind,
what local readers "believe" carries little weight.
Jones could shock the world and go undefeated next year, or have another 7 loss season. He may recruit 5 stars, or he may not be able to handle SEC recruiting competition.
The fact is we are left to wonder what people
"believe" just like we did with Dooley, and what
most schools have to do: take the best calculated gamble they can. Everyone will debate
Jones endlessly because he has done some good things, but nothing spectacular yet. He is a safe single, maybe a double, but not a homerun.
We were not able to make a "home run" hire
maybe not because TN is a "second tier" program, but because of timing,
and other uncontrollable circumstances. Maybe Gruden would not have come even with 10
million a year on the table.
I do believe, however, this search was completely botched by Hart. The Strong rejection should never have happened. Strong not having an agent, and the unfortunate timing of the Fulmer induction is no excuse. Jimmy Cheeks should NOT be involved in the interview process. An issue I have is how confidently Hart expressed in his own words how he knew what he was doing, I am a seasoned expert with info I only have, and
no hurries, no worries.
I believe not getting making a bowl really hurts. It would have been optimal if the new coach could have come aboard with a month of practice and time with the players and facilities, administration.

Voltransplant writes:

in response to volswinsome:

Go Vols! (well, in 2014).

The problem is, Dooley handed Butch Davis' rearend to him 2 years ago. I do not think that is a good sign.

NorthwestVol writes:

If some of you yahoos would take a few minutes and do a little research you might not make such idiotic statements. Did you even watch the press conference or are you so darn smart you don't even care what the guy has to say? Give the man a chance.

gosouthsloppytop writes:

in response to SandySpringsVol:

Welcome Coach Jones!

the vowell fan... hes in for a rude awaking.... with bama, s car, fla, and ga... o yeah vandy!!! lol...maybe 5 wins...but yall still have to wear that UGLY orange!!! lmao!!! he he ha ha

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

You know Charlie Strong is happy he won't be playing against Butch Jones for awhile. I'm sure he was tired of losing to him, since Jones had a 2-1 record against him. Jones also beat him out for Big East Coach of the Year last year. I can hardly wait to see what he can do in Knoxville.

marVOLous writes:

I honestly believe that Vanderbilt is going to leave us behind as a football program now. Why didn't we go after Franklin? He has proven himself at the highest level already.

Vols_fan_27 writes:

The more I listen to him, the more I like him. Do some research and you will understand that he is a pretty solid hire...

Those who are still upset about Gruden, if you would just understand that all of that was created by the media and there was never any merit behind it, as told by Gruden's agent. If you want to be mad at someone for him not coming, be mad at Gruden for letting that speculation go on for so long. He never had interest in coaching college.

As for Jones, like others have stated, HE WANTS TO BE HERE. Give him a fair chance. He definitely brings more passion than has been there in a long time and in due time, that, along with hard work will hopefully pay off.

Who knows, 3 years we may be right back in this position, but for right now... Good Luck Coach and welcome... I will be in Neyland next fall... GBO!

underthehill writes:

in response to marVOLous:

Several schools did go after Franklin..Vandy did what it had to do to keep him..

bigvol980#528379 writes:

I don't think anyone expected a Nat'l Championship run after Peyton Manning left, but Tee Martin stepped in and got it done. You can't predict what will happen with 100% certainty so let the man do his job. We might be very pleasantly surprised. I'll bet he has more wins and a lot better HC record than most of us.

GiveHim6TDTennessee writes:

The guy has won championships everywhere he has gone. He has a winning record. He is fiery, passionate, commands respect and demands effort. He is all about unity and family amongst the fans and program. He knows how to relate to people and has a sense of humor. He is 2-1 against Charlie Strong. He has followed the path of Brian Kelly who just so happens to have righted a program identical to our struggles. The players like him. The spread won Florida a NC... twice. He puts the best system in place for his players. He wanted to be here. He loves the tradition and knows how to see a program. He.... is the man for the job.

bigvol980#528379 writes:

in response to GiveHim6TDTennessee:

Well said. I like the fact he WANTS to be here.