Tennessee offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe said Friday morning he has not been offered the head coaching job at Duke.
The News Sentinel reported late Thursday night that Cutcliffe was offered the job and was expected to accept the position.
Cutcliffe declined to comment further on his possibilities at Duke, saying he would prefer not to speculate on whether or not he expects to be offered the job.
Cutcliffe did acknowledge that he interviewed for the job earlier this week.
Meanwhile, the Duke search committee is scheduled to meet this afternoon, school spokesman Jon Jackson told WRAL television on Friday.
The television station added that Duke is already planning meetings for the new coach with top alumni next week.
Duke president Richard Brodhead told The News & Observer on Friday that he had private discussions with each of the six who have interviewed for the opening — former Navy coach Paul Johnson; Grambling State coach Rod Broadway; Vanderbilt coach Bobby Johnson; former UCLA coach Karl Dorrell; Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Hue Jackson; and Cutcliffe.
Johnson was hired by Georgia Tech last week and Johnson pulled his name from consideration on Tuesday.
UT coach Phillip Fulmer said Cutcliffe would likely remain UT's offensive coordinator against Wisconsin in the Outback Bowl on Jan. 1 in Tampa, Fla., even if he is hired by Duke.
Should Cutcliffe leave, Fulmer said hiring a new coordinator would be his top priority and that the search would be all inclusive.
"I would search that whole scenario," Fulmer said.