Herschel Walker to Spurrier: Step in the ring with me

A few weeks when Georgia coach Mark Richt sent his team on the field to celebrate its first touchdown against Florida, South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier joked that the way to counteract that was to send some of his third-stringers on the field, start a fight and get some Georgia players throw out. That didn’t sit well with former Georgia Heisman Trophy winner Herschel Walker. He told Atlanta Journal-Constitution columnist Terence Moore, “That’s totally insulting for a coach of his stature to say something so stupid. So my question I say to him is, if he’s got that much guts, why don’t he step in a ring against me? You don’t say something that silly, because you’re going to get somebody hurt. Georgia was punished, because that’s a penalty. They didn’t go out to hurt anyone. (Spurrier) talks about hurting somebody. How much guts do you have? Step in a ring with me, and then we’ll see.”

When Spurrier asked on Wednesday about Walker’s callout, he said he hadn’t heard about them and had no comment.

© 2007 govolsxtra.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

wyomingvol writes:

As the world turns,, so go the days of SEC football...

spudvol writes:

Whatever Hersch! It was a classless, bush league move by Georgia. It was also hypocritical of Richt to do after his reaction to his players celebrating after beating Vandy.

Volunatic writes:

steve spurrier couldn't beat up Larry Munson.

bigbluevol writes:

Is it possible to root for both of them to lose? Eliminate the idols of two of our enemies at once.

thesavageorange writes:

We'll let them fight to the death, then take care of the winner ourselves.

thesavageorange writes:

Larry munson should announce the fight.However we would have to re-live the hob-nail-boot thing

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Typical Dawg reponse. Spurrier loses a game and nails another harpoon in a former vanquished foe! Thank goodness we beat both Ga and SC! Now if we can somehow beat Vanderbilt and stumble on toward KY! Go Vols!

Stumps writes:

I have to say, I really liked what GA did against FL after they scored their first TD. Look what happened? They kicked off from nearly their own endzone and gave great field position to FL. I liked to see the display of emotion, and if FL didn't like it they should have capitalized on the field position to ram the ball down their throats.

as far as spurrier and walker go, I don't expect anything more from either of them.

cnalumni writes:

I guess Herschel is Billy Bad Azz now! What Georgia did was unnecessary. I am glad that the Fl players showed some class by not starting a fight. Herschel needs to worry about the bulldogs leaving Knoxville with the tails between their legs.

tigervol9802 writes:

Richt apologized and said it went farther than he intended. He just told his players that after the first TD they better show some emotion.

Richt's probably the classiest coach in the SEC. He made one mistake. He's allowed one occasionally.

And it apparently worked because since then UGA has looked like a different team.

tigervol9802 writes:

And as has been made known by many posters - class or not - the only thing that matters is winning.

RunRunPassPunt writes:

This only further backs up the fact that Herschel Walker is a complete moron. Challenging a 70 year old coach to a fight? Give me a break. I think it is insulting for a coach of Richt's stature (insulting for his university and Florida) to send his players on the field to celebrate a touchdown.

Funny that I don't remember Spurrier talking about hurting anyone - just engaging the enemy to get them tossed. Plus SC already put the hurt on the dawgs this season. And finally, somebody please get Herschel some "Hooked on Phonics" tapes and grammar books to help him speak like someone who has a lick of sense.

inquiry writes:

Steve Spurrier is a girly man.. but Hershel Walker's neck is thick, it blocks the flow of blood to his brain too..

1volk-nowi-tall writes:

Herschel isn't showing much in the way of logic with his comments. What Spurrier was showing was how such a celebration could have backfired on the Georgia team. That is all he was saying. Georgia was fortunate that some Bama player didn't perceive the celebration as a total insult to the Tide and start something. Spurrier is much smarter than most of us give him credit for. He also is a very good sport and when he loses he is usually right to the point in talking about the loss.

webbofconfusion writes:

i remember a few days ago someone was asking why other teams don't have problem like we have...

Well I think this sums it all up...

and some people want spurrier????

phi0129 writes:

thesavageorange writes:

TouchdownTN:I'm not an old fart yet ,but Bill Bates would whip both of them at the same time.

thesavageorange writes:

tngeoff, What was the movie?

orangebloodgmc writes:

I've wanted to punch Spurrier's rat-like nose many times, so I don't blame Herschel for that. But it wouldn't be much of a fight. I think Lou Holtz could beat the phooey out of Spurrier.

SavDawg writes:

Guys, as much as it saddens me to say this, Congrats on a great season. I'm not seeing the Vols falling to Vandy or Kent. the way they're playing right now. I ask one thing, beat LSU and prove the east is where the power is, although I think it's been proven. As far as Ga. celebrating on the field at FL., harmless. I understand there could have been implications but there weren't. Mark Richt is a great guy and I'm not saying that because I'm a Ga. fan, he really is, he would never try and humiliate any team or player. There have been countless times Ga. has turned ball over on downs late in the 4th when they're up. He's finally loosening up a bit and it's showing in the intensity of the players, he's letting them act like 18-20 yr olds who are playing a game, which is what they are, kids. People are questioning his discipline as of late and it's ridiculous. He's always been a class act. If you guys indeed get to Atl., which you should, good luck.

GreerVol22 writes:

Touchdown, I'll se your Bates and raise you two Clausens...

thesavageorange writes:

SavDawg:We havn't won anything yet, but man you guys flat got hot at the wrong time.Glad we caught you in October.The east will be a beast for the next several years.Bad news is we might keep knocking each other out of title contention.

VolSwaff writes:

georgia is a gimmic football team and mark richt carries no more respect with anybody in the SEC. He has changed who he was to make his players happy ... what a truely weak coach. if a change in jerseys or an organized dance is the only way to get the most out of your players you need canned.

tigervol9802 writes:

touchdowntn -

So you would go the SMU route to that extent if it meant to win ballgames?

thesavageorange writes:

VolSwaff: If you are right then I hope they keep him.

SavDawg writes:

thesavageorange: agreed. I'd like to see some other east team besides FL. with a shot at the title in the next few years, but it is tuff to get there with at least two losses, and that's what we keep giving each other. East is a beast.

BluetickBlues writes:

Spurrier would whip Uncle Herschel's candy ass in a heartbeat. You think The Ole Ball Coach is gonna fight fair? Hell no, he would spike his visor off the turf, pull some mace outta his back pocket spray Hersch down and then commence upon a major beatdown with his clipboard then choke him out with his headset.

jlange#632002 writes:

Winning at any cost is a pathetic attitude engendered by low self esteem. Winning with integrity may not be as easy but it is accomplished by many every day.

tenncorncob writes:

I'm with TouchdownTN, if it ain't about the winning--why keep score? In regard to the Bill Bates comment, it was funny for those of us born before 1970. For those who weren't Hershel Walker made his college debut against UT as a freshman and ran smackdab over Bill Bates for a touchdown. It still hurts me today. Of course, Bill Bates had a great career at UT and for the Cowboys, but will always be remember for that "run over" by Hershel by us old farts....LOL......for those who criticize Richt for not being consistent with his players on the Vandy versus Florida game, it was two different situations. At Vandy, Georgia was lucky to get a fumble late in the game and kick a field goal to beat Vandy at the last second. His players were jumping on the V at midfield after beating Vandy. He thought that was out of line to celebrate a Vandy victory they were lucky to win. At Florida, it was a brillant coaching move to fire up his players. It worked and they finally beat Florida. I wish Fulmer would do something to pump up our players before the Florida or Alabama game.....instead of clapping his hands after Florida has hung a half a hundred on us!!!!!!!!!

thesavageorange writes:

Spurrier is the best one line coach in history. My personal favorite this year."Maybe if Vandy had Ohio States schedule they would be undefeated, and ranked #1 in the country".Classic.

tenncorncob writes:

Why is winning always associated with lack of integrity? Coach Lombardi was a winner who was intense and demanding and he had tons of integrity. Quit associating lack of integrity with those of us who want to win on a consistent basis. Did General Neyland have integrity? He won consistently!

thesavageorange writes:

TouchdownTN :Thanks for the lesson.Must have been a hell of a sight.What year was that exactly?I bet I can hunt down a tape of that game.By the way I don't always agree with you, but your post are hillarious.Didn't they play Marinos Pittsburgh club that year in the Sugar bowl?

hdhurst writes:

look around....for those of you idiots who criticize Fulmer for "clapping after the other team scores." Since this type of comment first appeared in the posts I have seen countless top notch coaches (even in the SEC) do the exact same thing. Let's face it folks. Everyone reacts differently to events. All the haters want to do is nick-pick any little thing that looks contrary to their ideas of motivation. GO VOLS...see you in hot 'lanta!!!

vol52 writes:

And the week after the ga game was not very nice either. We lost to southern cal as time expired! I agree I would like to have Spurrier.

utclassof1992 writes:

Hunker down Hershcel, hunker down. If that happened, I think a hob nail boot would go elsewhere besides the nose.

thesavageorange writes:

TouchdownTN:Since your so old.What's a hob nail boot?Just kidding.Thanks for the info.

tenncorncob writes:

TouchdownTN I must take exception to your criticism of Lombardi. Here's Lombardi's own words in defense: It is a reality of life that men are competitive and the most competitive games draw the most competitive men. That's why they are there-to compete. To know the rules and objectives when they get in the game. The object is to win. Fairly, squarely, by the rules, but to win. I don't say these things because I believe in the "brute" nature of man or that men must be brutalized to be combative. I believe in God, and I believe in human decency. But I firmly believe that any man's finest hour,his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear-is that moment when he has to work his heart out in a good cause and he's exhausted on the field of battle-VICTORIOUS. VINCENT LOMBARDI All-Time Winningest Coach in NFL history (105-35-6) with 5 NFL Championships.

tenncorncob writes:

the year was 1980

TopperVol75 writes:

thUGAly celebration against FLA...could have gotten out of hand...not a big deal. I found the Dance Party on the sideline to be a bigger deal and a crystal ball of things to come. Richt not only has loosened the rains, he has gone from the disciplinarian to anything goes now to have fun (i.e. TD against FLA, black jerseys that the diehard BullDOGS were against,and the Soul Train sideline dancing). Check out YouTube for the fiasco of the Miami Hurricanes dancing to Soulja Boy after a touchdown.Richt's sideline looked exactly like that against Auburn...have fun, but don't lose control...you might even have the CBS announcers dancing (trying to make the image of Vern dancing disappear from my nightmares!!) Mark (Richt) my words, it will come back and bite you like a Bulldog!!

LongtimeVol writes:

Here you go boys, it was and is still an amazing display of power by Walker because Bates was usually one fierce hitter. He is one of my all time favorite Volunteers.

Here is the URL for a youtube video of the play.

99gator writes:

that's why richt never should have done it. he's lucky spurrier is not still florida's coach and meyer is the guy that he is. if spurrier were coach... there would have been a brawl. in reference to spurrier and wuerffel being preacher's sons....spurrier once said that danny wuerffel was a "new testament gator". you spear him, he turns the other cheek. spurrier proclaimed himself an "old testament gator". someone spears you, you spear them back.

if florida responded the way most of the fans hoped, their would have been an incident worse than miami-florida international. not a good thing at an event called the world's largest outdoor cocktail party.

mbradshaw1#655539 writes:

Walker also hold a black-belt in martial arts, so the OLE' BALL-COACH would have to be on top of his game. I'm sure he would come up with some kind of special move but I don't think he could take him.

99gator writes:

touchdownTN

i would not have supported what georgia did, had florida done it. whether you believe me or not, i don't know... but that's the truth.

as for what happened in 1997.... i honestly don't know what you are talking about. '97 was a game in gainesville. refresh my memory.

movol77 writes:

"It's not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game." - Vince Lomabardi

But then again...what did that winner know anyway?

GreerVol22 writes:

Touch, Cooter is the Man. I wish we had him in the booth. Nudge, Nudge, wink, wink. Then we could have our own Major Appledumpling.

hueypilot writes:

HOpe you're not forgetting in that Vols vs GA game in 1980, that (Glenn???) Ford fumbled on first down inside Georgia's 5 yard line in the last two minutes. I'm not sure he ever got in a game again. For all you "Tennessee's 98 run was pure luck I offer that fumble and Run Lindsay Run, or Georgia doesn't win it's national title in 80. It always takes a little luck. Hard to argue with a national title when you're the only undefeated one in the country from a major conference and you go 13-0. Anyway, if we don't fumble we at least get a chip shot field goal and Georgia doesn't win the crown.

jdcvols#230433 writes:

Touchdown, I really wanted to see the Jim Bob Cooter pass to Slick Shelley for a TD. That would have been funny.

jawjavol writes:

Don't NCAA rules stipulate that any player leaving the bench will be ejected for the remainder of that game plus one? Hersheybar needs to concentrate on his as yet un-named reality show and leave all this to others. I saw a lot of Gators take steps toward the field on that play and it could have gotten ugly without coaching consent.

Wonder how Richt the annointed one would have spun that one? By the way, UGA's "newfound passion" smells a lot like someone trying to be a players coach. UGA's lack of discipline has averaged 90 yds in penalties over their last three games. This will wind up costing them an important game before long. Moreno acts like a thug and when you turn it on its hard to rein it back in. Probably looks good to a lot of recruits though.

movol77 writes:

Is your beef with Richt being a coach or a Christian?

movol77 writes:

bricker865 that was funny!