Auriemma unloads on Summitt

'Pat doesn't have courage to say it publicly'

Although women's basketball season ended two weeks ago, it was open season on Pat Summitt and Tennessee Tuesday.

Connecticut women's coach Geno Auriemma took aim and fired.

At a press conference in Storrs, Conn., to wrap up the Huskies' season, Auriemma unleashed some lingering resentment toward the Lady Vols basketball coach over Tennessee's decision last spring to end the regular-season series between the two schools.

The spark that reignited Auriemma was a question about Summitt always saying, "Geno knows" when asked why UT ended the series.

"Pat knows,'' he said. "I don't have to say anything. Pat knows. She knows why we're not playing. There's nothing for me to say. I'm not the one that made the decision not to play. So she should just tell you why instead of saying, 'Geno knows.' I do know. I already told you. She accused us of cheating at recruiting. She doesn't have the courage to say it publicly. So yeah, Geno does know. And I've said it."

ESPN reported last month that Tennessee raised a complaint with the SEC office over an ESPN private tour the Huskies basketball office helped arrange in October 2005 for then-top recruit Maya Moore and her mother, Kathryn. Two sources said the tour amounted to a secondary rules violation.

" 'Geno knows,' " Auriemma said, "There's a lot of things I know about a lot of people. That doesn't mean I cancel the series. This is the same person who said if the Duke fans didn't treat her players right, she was going to cancel that series."

The reference was to Summitt threatening to end UT's series with Duke if the "Cameron Crazies" student section persisted this season with waving plastic bags and chanting "Wal-Mart" at Lady Vol Alexis Hornbuckle in reference to her being arrested as a high school senior on a misdemeanor shoplifting charge at a Wal-Mart in West Virginia. The chants continued when the two teams played at Cameron Indoor Stadium on Jan. 28. The series continues as well.

"So if people don't stop misbehaving, they're only going to play regular-season scheduled conference games,'' Auriemma said. "Unless that starts to bug them. So the bottom line is it's not going to change. Don't get me wrong. It's not going to change."

Auriemma said the regular-season series between Tennessee and Connecticut will not be revived.

"It would have to be eight games here, one in Nashville and one in Memphis; that would be my proposal to them,'' he said, smiling. "That's the only way I would do it."

When asked about the possibility of playing UT at the Maggie Dixon Classic in New York City, Auriemma said, "If you're not going to play here or there, you're not going to play them at Madison Square Garden in a charity event that's supposed to help a good cause. How could they be involved with that? That would be something that's good for the game."

While his comments indicate otherwise, Auriemma said the situation "doesn't irk me."

"With some people that's just their style,'' he said. "They're passive-aggressive. They always want to have somebody to blame for what's going on."

When reached for comment Tuesday night, Summitt said "It's absolutely not worth a comment."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2008, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

nightxtr4in#451385 writes:

Sounds like he's singing his version of Taylor Swift's song..."She's the reason for the tear drops on my basketball". What a cry baby.

eefor10c writes:

What a total JERK!!!!! Geno, you screwed up in the semifinals and Pat showed you how to coach. Your level of resentment is at an all time high as you had already counted on the 08 championship. Instead it was LADY VOLS # 8 in o8!!! You cheat, you got caught, Why should Pat put up with any phooey from you? You are so resentful that Pat is "good for the game." You, on the other hand stink!!

WorkinLikeHeck writes:

ozarkvol writes:

Sounds to me as if Geno has a little recruiter's (buyer's) remorse with Maya Moore. What Geno knows is this: They may win a national championship again, but UCONN will never be the same (year after year dominant) without playing the Lady Vols every year. That is what "GENO KNOWS" !

MrBamSeydu writes:

Let's see, we just won our 8th national championship and 2nd in a row. We cancelled the series with UCONN because they were busted cheating. And yet we want to listen to this loud mouth??? Listen Geno, get on our level and maybe we'll talk. You got drilled by Stanford and we drilled them 2 days later. So, what's left to say? Pat won't comment because she's classy.

Geno is a loud-mouthed Yankee. UConn has been riding UT's coat tails in women's basketball since they hired him. He'll always be 2nd best and he knows it. That's why he throws temper tantrums and Pat just sits back in her office and looks across the hallway at her 8 national championship trophies and laughs.

To Hell with Geno and UConn.

bhjohnso#207063 writes:

as much as i detest the man, he has a couple of valid points. i disagree with canceling the series. i disagreed with pat's remarks about the duke situation. in my opinion, the best way to put someone in their place is kick their tail on the court, not take your ball and go home, which is the impression i get from this deal.

Volfan1 writes:

With that kind of venom and perversion of the truth, Geno & John Adams should be good friends.

MrBamSeydu writes:

bhjohnso:

Ok, I agree about Duke. That was kind of whimpy to say "leave our players alone". We can't control what a crowd does. But with UConn, you have to realize when you're recruiting the same kids and the other team gets them because they aren't playing by the rules and you are... it leaves a sour taste in your mouth. Why play those same kids against the girls you actually signed? Why give the other program the satisfaction? UT created UConn. Without them having played us for so many years, they'd be nothing. So we didn't take our ball and go home with it. We're more like the big brother leaving the game to let the smaller kids play. If they want to travel and walk and not play by the rules, we --- the big brother --- simply walk off and let them play that way. We've got bigger and better things to do.

hcjournals#206623 writes:

Dear Coach:

You own this guy! We put him on the map......We gave him access to the highest echelon in women's basketball........He got careless.......And he got caught.........To use ESPN because it is in Connecticut was beyond cheating. And it wasn't minor as he likes to say. What he wasn't saying out loud to the recruit was that he had ultimate influence with the premier sports television network on the world, and it was 60 miles from his campus. For him to say it wasn't major is ridiculous. What is ridiculous is not to know how many recruits have taken that little tour before.........When that litle tidbit comes out, then we will start looking at the whole truth. He doesn't like it that while, yes, he helped activate the television market on the eastern seaboard; and along with us brought the women's game to the highest visibiity it had ever known, he forgot his manners. Hmmm....there are people in this country who think that how you treat people is secondary to winning the prize. Those of us in the collective Tennessee family know otherwise. You don't have to be born in Tennessee to be a Volunteer. But you do have to follow a few basic rules to be one of us. Thanks for standing up for what it means to be a Vol. I'm not saying you should never play him again. Things can change, and forgiveness is one of our attributes as well. But you held him accountable. And the greatest thing is that the eastern press will hound him from now on. Way to go. We are so proud of you, and grateful we get to watch you and your teams every year do the right things.....and yes, graduate........Take care.

Tim McGowan
Dallas

faithfulvol writes:

We don't need Geno's recruits anyway.....Pat is doing just fine without UCONN recruits! He is nothing but a jerk. All you have to do is watch him in a game and watch Pat in a game.............GENO, JERK WITH NO CLASS...........PAT SUMMITT, CLASS ACT!
I totally admire Pat for standing up for her girls, especially with the Duke situation. Sometimes people (Geno) forget these players are still kids and it just wasn't right for the Duke fans to do what they did to Alexis. I work with young people too and Pat is one hundred percent committed to standing by her girls and that is the way its gotta be if you are gonna have impact on young adults. It may be petty in some eyes, but when a 22 year old is having her past thrown in her face on National TV, it is a big deal in her eyes. I gurantee Pat Summitt made a bigger impact on Alexis Hornbuckle's life by that one Duke statement than could ever be imagined!!!!
PAT SUMMITT FOR PRESIDENT!! LOL.....behind you all the way.

BigVolinCarolina writes:

I wish Summit hadn't made threatened to cancel the Duke series due to what the Cameron Crazies may/may not do; however, I'm all for her decision to cut UConn--assuming that the decision was due to some shady recruiting.

As for Geno, I don't know him. Nonetheless, from one man to another: Geno, go coach a men's team somewhere!

VolMoment writes:

Pat won again, By winning a National Title she caused Geno to show what a jerk he is and will always be! She beat him again when she beat Stanford, because Geno's offensive minded coaching made Stanford look unbeatable, that is until they ran up against a real Coach. Pat he needs you more than you need him. Pat stay the course!!!

LargeOrange writes:

Posted by WorkinLikeHeck on April 22, 2008 at 10:52 p.m. (Suggest removal)
---
Speaking of graduates, I am betting that WorkinLikeHeck didn't graduate from the 6th grade. This was an article about Coach Summitt and Geno the jerk, not Coach Fulmer. Workin... 'win' you get a clue about 'Coached' Summitt why not try and put together a coherent thought before sharing it with us here?

WorkinLikeHeck writes:

Who said I was talking about Fulmer? LOL!!!!!!

LadyVolsEighTimes writes:

Geno is true to form, a jerk.

Large, is your post appropriate?

Titan writes:

Careful Geno - you are right on the edge of being irrelevant. Any . . . you can't stand it so this is your way of getting some ink. Sad, really sad.

LadyVolsEighTimes writes:

I truly wonder about folks that have to spell check and correct grammer in a Chat Room, or on a BBoard.
Is your life that empty? Or do you have OCD isues?

LadyVolsEighTimes writes:

wk, you are not alone there!

BigVolinCarolina writes:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Geno, go coach a MEN'S team somewhere! I'd like to see how your antics would work on guys. I doubt they would--and that says it all, in my opinion.

orangebloodgmc writes:

Wow. What's that high-pitched squeal coming out of the northeast?

WorkinLikeHeck writes:

Wow....Large Orange getting flushed down the toilet. Be careful LadyVolsEighTimes, people will start accusing you of being other posters and try to make fun you if you are a girl. This usually happens after they've run out of weak material such as correcting spelling mistakes.

LadyVolsEighTimes writes:

CBP would punch Geno out in the first game they played!

bpvol#216873 writes:

I agree with Pats comments about Duke. My first reaction was that of most people, making a big deal about the Cameron Crazies will only make it worse....

But when I thought about it more, I believe there needs to be a line drawn in the sand that says...enough is enough....Personal attacks at someone should be that limit...

Its one thing to chant,"air ball", "over-rated", etc. etc. Its another to berate a COLLEGE athlete....not a pro, doing it for money.....a person representing a school....

why stop at college, lets get down to high school and grade school and have another teams boosters cheer about a personal mistake made by a star player on the team.....attack the character, morals, religion, race, gender, etc. etc.
Anything is fair game right......its all in fun.....

Congrats Pat for standing up for whats right....Not many coaches would have the guts to confront it........it may not change, but it was still the right thing to do

LadyVolsEighTimes writes:

lol Workin, all I have to say on that is "Bring It".

Northie writes:

Folks, UCONN did not commit any violations. It was Summit's prerogative to cancel the series. However, she did it based on innuendo and lack of evidence. Because of this garbage, UCONN’s reputation was questioned. This was wrong.

You can call Geno whatever you want but if another school dragged Summitt and her Volunteers through the mud with junk accusations, you would be calling for a congressional hearing.

LargeOrange writes:

LadyVolsEighTimes - yes, I would say it is at least as appropriate as posting on a Lady Vols article with another Fulmer slam. Perhaps you missed the point, hint: it wasn't about the grammar. If I was OCD, I would point out that you misspelled "grammar". Oops, I guess I just did. LOL

WorkinLikeHeck writes:

that's great Northie...we don't need UConn. We invented women's college basketball. I hope you enjoy the scraps we give you every now and again.

Goodvol writes:

I'm not sure we all know everything involved in the canceling of the series with UCONN. If Pat thought the cheating was bad enough, I can understand why she would not want to continue the series as long as Maya Moore is there. I bet she would have reconsidered the series (before today) after Maya was gone. As far as threatening Duke, we definitely can't make the fans act any better but Pat can decide not to put her kids in that situation. I have no problem with her protecting her players. These players are part of her family for life and as a parent she can choose who her kid's friends are! She has earned that right. She has shown through the past many years that she will do anything that helps promote the womens game. If she felt canceling the series with UCONN was needed, I will fully support her stance knowing how she feels about the women's game. She gave Candace Parker the green light to dunk even though that is not something she would typically allow but since it's good for the women's game (it brings attention) she allowed it. Pat has earned the right for me to accept her stance without question.

WorkinLikeHeck writes:

LargeOrange, I think you should wait to post again until LAdyVolsEighTimes tells you that you can remove your dunce cap.

LadyVolsEighTimes writes:

I can't seem to find where Fulmer was brought into this

LadyVolsEighTimes writes:

Andy Landers has said there is more involved than the ESPN/Maya Moore issue. He had issues with Geno's actions himself

WorkinLikeHeck writes:

It could have been any coach in the SEC that has won an SEC East title in any sport. From all those possibilities, LargeOrange, thought I was talking about Fulmer since he appears to have major Fulmer bashing paranoia. Either that, or he has a serious mancrush or is e-stalking me. LOL!!!!!!

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

Napoleon syndrome

Gigavol writes:

WOW!

Does anyone not think it is odd for Pat Summit to act the way she acted?

I believe ESPN ran a special recently about the real reason: certain programs support (and go as far as promote) certain alternative lifestyles; and that gets used in recruiting. ESPN hit the nail on the head, for once. Somehow this relates, but I cannot put a finger on it.

LadyVolsEighTimes writes:

Napoleon, What does Ice Cream have to do with this, lol

LadyVolsEighTimes writes:

Gig I don't think it was that. I am sure that Pat has coached more than a few girls that practiced alternative lifestyles.

Geno is just a pig, and whatever it took, CPS finally had enough of it.

2000man writes:

Poor Geno. He can't stand the Lady Vols getting all the glory for the last 2 years and 8 titles in all. Owned. Absolutely owned and he knows it.

LargeOrange writes:

Ok, LadyVolsEighTimes... let me help you understand. "Funny how win you actually win championships and not Eastern Division titles that other coached don't particularly like you as much." Who won the Eastern Division title this year? Coach Fulmer did, in football, and the Fulmer haters, like Workin... here, takes every opportunity to hurl insults at him. What he was trying to say, was, that if CPF won a (another) National Championship, then the other coaches that he plays against would not like him, as Geno doesn't like Pat. It was a backhanded slap at CPF on a Womens Basketball article, which I though was inappropriate as well as written on a 4th grade level, which is beside the point. Do you understand now? I would like to get back to talking about how Geno the crybaby is whining about Coach Summit taking his cheese in the final four.

BigOrangeVol writes:

Q: "What's that high-pitched squeal coming out of the northeast?"

A: It's Pat squeezing Auriennema's little nads!

budrhon writes:

Guilty dog barks the loudest!

BillVol writes:

Kathryn Moore's internet handbag business must be doing some great business! And they all have Collins Hill High School embroidered on them! Wow!

utchris writes:

What really kills me is the fact that UCONN (and every ESPN article) keeps pointing to the fact that Tennessee turned UCONN in for ESPNgate.

First of all, as Summit stated, it her obligation to report it to the SEC, what they do with it from there, is there business. Second, i read a couple reports that said UT was not the only school to turn UCONN in. I know for sure that Georgia was one of them. How do we know that UNC, DUKE, Georgia Tech, or some other ACC school did not turn them in to their conference only to have the conference not make the call to the NCAA because the SEC had already taken action?

andy112382#209793 writes:

Geno Knows............Geno Knows where he can stick his cryin' & whinin'

GO VOLS!!! And Amen Pat Summitt, not worth a dang comment.

Northie writes:

Posted by WorkinLikeHeck on April 23, 2008 at 12:08 a.m.

*******************
And UConn doesn't need Tennessee. If the scraps consist of a knife in the back and hiding behind the SEC, then no thank you.

Northie writes:

Posted by wkb12 on April 23, 2008 at 12:15 a.m.

northie..all you know is what that loud mouth azzhole has publicly said. You don't know the whole story..so, for future reference, pull your head out of your azz before you speak!

*****************

What are you, twelve?? The NCAA said there were no wrongdoings committed by UCONN. Why is that hard to understand?? Can you read?

You know the real story?? REALLY?? Are you a mindreader, on Pat's payroll, what?

I think you need to take your head out of your a$$. Summitt slammed an institution with junk accusations and you want to make her a saint. Pat's no saint and she underhandly spewed garbage toward UCONN via the SEC.

rebelron82#250393 writes:

I don't like Geno but for the person that wants him dead is crazy. I don't hope for no one to die. A former coworker I care a lot for lost her husband yesterday. I considered him a friend also.

All I want to see happen is for the Lady Vols to kick UCONN's butt every time. As long as the Lady Vols keep winning those championships Geno can cry all he wants.

TropicalFish writes:

Why is it that no one ever addresses *the* issue. Which is that Pat was and is being mealy-mouthed about this. Someone "cheats" - you play the game, beat them, make them have to shake hands with you and smile and say good game. All the while knowing they're writhing inside. A competitor doesn't take the ball and go home in a huff.

And didn't the rules about recruiting change because of the way Pat went after a certain recruit several years ago?

VOLS85 writes:

If i do recall, Sportscenter made a comment on the situation denoting that they organized this recruiting situation...

Pat Summitt has to answer to no one, not least of which Geno Auriemma. She is a legend in the history of college basketball. The fact that he made these comments makes him look ridiculous. The part that irked me the most was:

"How could they be involved with that? That would be something that's good for the game."

Pat Summitt is the epitomy of what is good for the game of basketball. She requires her players to be the most responsible students and athletes the game has to offer. She is nothing but a class act. I'm proud that she did not dignify this man with a response. Thank you Pat, you're an awesome representative of our University.

By the way Northie, I think our back to back national championships, 8 overall, and the winningest coach ever speaks for itself...go back to UCONN...we don't like losers here

BigOrangeVol writes:

...Auriemma declined to speak with ESPN about the cancellation of the series or his relationship with Summitt saying, "anything to do with her I want nothing to do with it."

That would among many other things include being the winingest basketball coach at any level, having class, integrity, maturity, courtesy, respect and 8 National Championships.

...In a reportedly profanity-laced tirade, Geno called UConn’s women’s fans “the most unbelievably spoiled fans on the face of the earth. They’re the worst. You give them a close game and they sit there and give you the old Tiger Woods’ golf clap. I hope we lose the next 10 games. That will give them something to bitc* about.”

The whole country knows what a spoiled insecure pansy and little yapping Chihuahua this stooge is. Why give him ink?

...FROM THE NCAA: Despite recent media reports to the contrary, the NCAA has not ruled on a potential secondary violation involving University of Connecticut freshman Maya Moore. The university has acknowledged that a member of the coaching staff impermissibly arranged for Moore to be granted a tour of ESPN studios and that such an arrangement is not available to the general public.

Let’s not close the book on this one just yet; there may very well be more to come.

UConntrueblue writes:

Whatever Geno was supposed to have done to earn your ire...it pales to the disgusting rhetoric and outright hate I have read here. Some of you wish him to die in a fire in a crashed vehicle? Are you kidding me. Do you ever read what you write? This is only a game. You people need help. If Pat has the class you claim she does then she doesn't deserve fans like you!