Chavis tops wish list to become Clemson coordinator

Former Tennessee defensive coordinator John Chavis is believed to be a leading candidate to become defensive coordinator at Clemson, sources told The State newspaper. Several media outlets have reported Chavis is slated to interview with coach Dabo Swinney today.

Coordinator Vic Koenning resigned Tuesday after learning he would not be retained.

Chavis is from Dillon, S.C. The 52-year-old was not retained by new UT coach Lane Kiffin after 20 seasons as an assistant with the Vols.

The newspaper said if hired, Chavis is expected to bring along veteran defensive line coach Dan Brooks, who is familiar with recruiting in the Carolinas.

Clemson could have competition for Chavis, who is also believed a candidate at LSU should Les Miles shuffle his defensive staff.

Swinney declined to comment on any specific candidates to the newspaper until they have completed their background checks and been formally hired.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2008, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

armyvol544 writes:

Wish him well.

SemperVol writes:

Go get 'em Chief!!!!

AllVol2008#1353998 writes:

ctownvol writes:

That would be good for Coach Chavis. Hopeully he lands a good job and continues coaching.

blhvols#536551 writes:

He may take some of our recruits with him !!!!! Good luck anyway and thanks for the memories !!!!

volnbig11land writes:

Good luck Coach and if you go please don't forget to take the mustang package!

Volunatic writes:

Good luck, Coach Chavis! Stick it to spurrier!

utvols1 writes:

Lane better be getting daddy or losing Chavis will go down as a huge mistake....mustang or not the guy delivered regardless of the situation...in terms of developing talent and making do with what he had....one of the best coaches to ever be a Vol. We'll miss him.

Moaninglikeheck writes:

I really wish Chief success. I was hard on him after the UCLA game, but what do I know? Our defense carried this squad and has always been a strength under Chavis. I don't like the soft zone defense packages but they are employed by a lot of NFL DCs and serve a purpose. Good luck Chief.

THEKIDWISCONSIN writes:

Good luck Chief!!!

Can't complain if Kiffin Sr comes with CLK, but i'd held out hope before that even with Fulmer gone Chavis would be retained.

Everybody had a hand in the poor seasons recently, but for the most part IMO it was Chavis' D that kept us in games while the O floundered (yep, looking at you Clawson...and anybody else not note named Coach Cutt for that matter...but especially you Clawson this year with that D2 phooey that was clear wasn't working after the UCLA game...sorry, i'm still working through some issues...).

I'd sure like to see Chavis at Clemson versus LSU...

CoverOrange writes:

Good luck Chief, dominate the ACC.

Interesting that Larry Slade was not named to go with Chavis.

Kentucky should have taken a shot at him.

Les Miles is captaining a sinking ship in Baton Rouge.

Would have been a mistake for CLK to retain Chavis because of the years served with and assumed loyalty to Fulmer. I don't expect Adkins will be retained for the same reason although his years are only three.

rusty_shackleford writes:

in response to hiresanders:

Back so soon after the K-Y beat down? Possibly the worst TN team in the past 10 years vs. the best @ K-Y in the same timeframe and its STILL 18 point difference. Look for another 24 years of the same!

utchris writes:

Good luck to the Chief. I hope he goes to Clemson and not another SEC school.

CrankE writes:

The T on the helmet stands for THUMPED x 24! Or maybe TAMED x 24, I get them confused.
______

Glad we don't have Tuberville. He spent his last months in Oxford telling them how he wasn't going anywhere and would only leave Oxford in a pine box, etc.

Chavis will land on his feet. Clemson would be a good fit for the big guy.

__________

On another note, with the dismissal of Fulmer and staff will come a tsunami of "where are they now" articles on the former coaches. Speaking of which, boy am I jonesing for an article telling me what Fuzz Peterson is up to these days!! not.

bugman (Inactive) writes:

see ya chavis, don't let kiffin kick you in the butt on the way out. long overdue

darbhoo writes:

in response to hiresanders:

If that be the case, why did Tuberville get fired? He hung his problems on the OC and fired him, but the troubles were still there. DUH???

Maybe KY should hire him to work with Sanders the other offensive genius????????

I'll take Kiffin's experience/enthusiasm and crew over the baggage that Tuberville has had over several years. He was on the ropes more than a punch drunk fighter.

givehim6 writes:

I hope he go's to Clemson, because even with a new coach UT will have trouble moving the ball aganst a Chavis defence if he goes to LSU.

MidTennVol writes:

in response to bugman:

Would LOVE to see you say that to Chief's face -- or one of his players...how about Berry or Al Wilson or Elix Wilson or Jerod Mayo or...

me?

bugman (Inactive) writes:

in response to IdentityTheftVictim09:

HMMMMMMM MMMKAAAY

MidTennVol writes:

We ll knew Chief would land on his feet. If it's between Clemson and LSU, this is a no-brainer. Chief will return home to SC, if given that choice.

Wish you the best, Chief. Thanks for all the great defenses and memories.

bugman (Inactive) writes:

in response to MidTennVol:

me?

oh get over yourself homer

bugman (Inactive) writes:

in response to IdentityTheftVictim09:

Mr Mackey

bugman (Inactive) writes:

in response to country410:

they won't be able to afford his buyout when they go 4-7 year after year.....

CoverOrange writes:

Besides Tennessee, Clemson, Washington, Wyoming and now Auburn, who else is or was shopping for a HC this holiday season?

TommyJack writes:

If the Chief can stay away from 3rd string QB's and third and longs, he will be fine.

oldvolsfan writes:

in response to hiresanders:

Do you ever have a good word for anyone rather than sanders and if you love him so much move over to Ky and leave us alone

Waldorf writes:

Somwehre in Columbia, a big grin just came accross The Ol' Ball Coach's face.

SomeGuy writes:

in response to blhvols#536551:

That's a good one. The next recruit Chavis gets will be his first. Chavis is too busy running off the guys who actually do recruit like Rodney Garner and Trooper Taylor. Chavis can coach LBs but his stubborn insistence on using his hopelessly-useless Mustang package and his intolerance for fellow assistants who work hard and recruit well will prevent him from ever being a great coordinator, much less a head coach. But what the heck - I never liked Clemson so I hope they do hire him.

SomeGuy writes:

in response to utvols1:

He delivered regardless of the situation? How about 3rd and long situations? In those situations he usually delivered for the other team. And regardless of how many times it failed he refused to change his ways. Kiffin can do better at DC.

TommyJack writes:

in response to SomeGuy:

Painfully true. I'm sure all will agree.

SomeGuy writes:

in response to hiresanders:

Really? Then why not sell Tubby to UK on a UK forum. BTW, the "K" on the helmets means Kompletely unable to play competitive football.

rockytop4ever writes:

I wish Coach Chavis the best. I still think he should give the NFL a shot if he gets a call. But im sure he would love a chance to be back in his home state. Great coach, sorry to see him leave.

GreerVol22 writes:

I like Chavis, had some grat players come thru here, but he kept too many games too close for too many years. ...a lot of the reason we never just blew people out.

Waldorf writes:

in response to SomeGuy:

Oh man. You presented facts that paint Chavis in a negative light. Be prepared to be called classless and have your UT fandom questioned by many.

NoogaVol55 writes:

in response to bama987:

I am a big Dabo fan...he spoke at one of my sisters good friends funerals...former UA player Victor Ellis. He is a very class guy. I wish him the best...and Chief could help him out

bigorange101582 writes:

Hopefully we get Monte Kiffin as our new DC. If not, then we were stupid to get rid of Chavis. Chavis did an unbelievable job with our defense this year. We finished #4 in nation in overall defense. That is amazing considering our defense was on field 3/4 of most games because of our inept offense. If we had only an average offense we would have won 3-4 more games.

Anyway, I really hope Clemson hires Chavis! I live 30 minutes from Clemson and actually graduated from CU; however, I have always been a TN fan. If Chavis goes to Clemson I will finally be able to cheer for the Tigers.

kilovol writes:

in response to utvols1:

That's for sure. I really feel like he Kiffin has his pops in the works or he would have at least given Chavis a look. And I'm not necessarily convinced that Chavis would not be better than Monte in the regards that Chavis is familiar with SEC offenses.

RemembertheAlamo writes:

in response to hiresanders:

what are you smokin'?

SilasDogooder writes:

in response to hiresanders:

How do you know what kind of coach "this kid" will be? He hasn't coached a game at UT yet. Tuberville was 5 and 7 this year. Your handle says it all, moron. Go root for Kentucky, where you belong.

bigorange101582 writes:

in response to kilovol:

I agree!!

bclay1012 writes:

i wonder if he'll have trouble teaching his new DB's how to play 20 yards off the line of scrimmage.

SignalMtnVol writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

Ouch. Just had to throw the "Matt Mauck in for injured Rohan Davey" reference, huh? I want to cry everytime I see a replay, or highlights, of that game.

Biggie writes:

I'll agree that Chavis kept us close in a lot of games but we have always been the WORST at holding the opposition on 3rd and long!
Good recruiting has been covering up our lack of good coaching for too long now.
Bye Coach Chavis

Basketball_Jones writes:

in response to hiresanders:

What have you been smokin? This guys offense is as stale as Fulmer's. He was successful because he had 2 Top 5 backs in the backfield with a starting NFL QB. The only DOH! is allowing you to make stupid comments

RoyaltyVol writes:

Good luck Chief! I believe Chavis would be a better fit at Clemson than at LSU, especially since he is from SC. I hope he gets the job at Clemson!

SignalMtnVol writes:

Da**it, I wanted to say something nice about Chavis, until you brought that game up. SEC title game. Win, and we have a shot at the NC game, and we lose to a backup QB, and backup RB. A BACKUP QB AND RB!!! There aren't enough curse words to fully convey my displeasure with that one.

RHARVEY writes:

The best Damn DC in the country. Hope to see u on our side again someday.

hometn writes:

Chavis is a good coach and brought a lot of good defense to UT but I had fault with some of the players that couldnt tackle because they wanted to be the next highlight reel.....he will be succesful wherever he goes and wish him the best but just like the times it calls for change and we will have a new offense so a new defense couldnt hurt

tnbigg writes:

Good luck coach Chavis...

Basketball_Jones writes:

Yea I was at that game and it was horrible. Worse loss in Tennessee history!

This goes back to a post I made in another area that referred to a Fulmer coached team not making adjustments at halftime, a good HC and DC would have had this handled. Beaten by a 2nd stringer. Almost lost to a 3rd stringer in the National Championship game. Good luck with the Mustang package in SC Chief.