Fulmer gets 3-month, $37,500 deal as assistant to president

Fulmer gets 3-month, $37,500 deal as assistant to president

Photo by Michael Patrick

Former Tennessee head football coach Phillip Fulmer.

Photo by Michael Patrick // Buy this photo

Former Tennessee head football coach Phillip Fulmer.

Former University of Tennessee football coach Phillip Fulmer has agreed to serve a three-month appointment as “special assistant to the president,” effective Dec. 1, UT spokeswoman Gina Stafford said this afternoon.

The position will pay Fulmer $12,500 a month from private sources, or gift money from university supporters, Stafford said. It is unclear whether the money was donated specifically for the position. He also will receive standard full-time employee benefits.

“Phillip Fulmer is a UT icon and a wonderful ambassador,” said university president John Petersen in a UT release. “Over his long career with the university he has developed a vast network of contacts, made invaluable relationships with alumni and UT supporters, and done extensive work with development. I look forward to having him assist with further developing and enhancing strategic relationships for the University,”

The appointment ends Feb. 28.

“I am not yet certain what the future holds for my career, but I’ll always support my alma mater, and I appreciate the opportunity to help the University out now,” Fulmer said, in the release.

The position was outlined in an offer letter accepted by Fulmer.

More details on GoVolsXtra.com and in Tuesday’s News Sentinel.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2008, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Volsrbest writes:

And future Athletic Director!

letshave1more writes:

This is a WIN-WIN for everyone!!

VolPride_13 writes:

I sure hope so, he is a class act!!

tripper writes:

Do we have to pay him and what's his buyout?

NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop writes:

I've been critical of CFP for years but this is a great thing for UT. Classy move Phil! We're glad you stayed in the family.

murrayvol writes:

Fine with me as long as he's not looking over Kiffin's shoulder.

AllVol2008#1353998 writes:

I have to say that I am glad to see this. I hope he is productive and happy.

wally writes:

in response to Volsrbest:

And future Athletic Director!

Hamilton is doing an outstanding job as AD. We definitely don't need PF leaning over his shoulder.

clausenforheisman writes:

Glad to see this, congrats coach you're a class act.

FlaVol2 writes:

in response to country410:

Don't you know when to quit talking about old business? Get on with your life.

VOLS85 writes:

hey general fritter, some things never change do they?

you're beating a dead horse quite well

Bass_Vol_1998 writes:

glad to see it. I know that he has been slipping- and he got his free pass in 2005. But he did get the NC and 7 in row over bama.

TommyJack writes:

If he successfully breaks up 8 cat-fights per year, he gets an extention.

UTmama writes:

in response to country410:

tripper writes:

This feels eirily similiar to the decision about the mother-in-law. Does she come live with us or do we put her in a nursing home? No win situation at best !!!

PreventUT writes:

SWEEEET! Now please zoom away from his face.

posivol writes:

in response to General_Watermelon:

yeavols#228407 writes:

Fulmer did the right thing, whether it was a forced resignation or he resigned on his own. It certainly could have been much worse. And, staying at UT will have its advantages. For one, the recruits will see that Fulmer is still at the University who supposedly had second thoughts aboutcoming to UT after Fulmer's departure. Second, it says that UT is not the ruthless beast that everyone claims by his resignation. I believe that Fulmer saw that things weren't getting any better and instead of tearing the fans apart, he resigned out of love for his Alma Mater. I think we can at least give him credit for that. Myself, I would have done it a few years ago, but maybe he thought that he could turn things around. Ok, he didn't and we all know what has happend in the last few years. So, now we have a new coach and success will be determined in the next few years. GO VOLS and congrats to Fulmer.

wagee12 writes:

Bad, bad idea, you don't see many businesses or institutions turning around and giving a fired employee another job. Too bad Clem's Son, Missisucky State and the Barners didn't want him as a football coach. This keeps him in touch with his booster buddies and they will eventually cause problems in the UTAD. Or maybe Peterson just wanted him close by where he could keep an eye on him.

dadavids writes:

tripper writes:

in response to posivol:

What ???

VolinCalif writes:

in response to country410:

410 Your pot is beginning to stink so bad you don't need to stir it. Someone must have given you that post, you can't let be or come up with anything new. Go back to school and finish the 3rd grade.

volnknox writes:

great more years with fulmer!!!! Go away coach, you got fired!!! we don't want you here or we would have kept you as HC.

jobrando#216494 writes:

Not much pride after being shafted by UT

LifetimeVolFan98 writes:

in response to country410:

Your point????

vols45 writes:

Great!!! He will be a wonderful spokesperson for he university and do a great job. His first assignment should be keeping the president's wife out of the public eye and chaining her foul mouth. No joke here!!!! He could do a world of good.

volnknox writes:

in response to UTmama:

utmama - you should be the one considering getting off this board, if you love fulmer so much , go to bed with him or something!

GreerVol22 writes:

in response to murrayvol:

Fine with me as long as he's not looking over Kiffin's shoulder.

I'm in country410's corner on this one as to why does everyone feel we owe him something, but as for looking over Kiffin's shoulder....could happen...with Kiffin on board we can ill afford some "Reggie Bush" baggage while recruiting...

ncvol writes:

Now I feel better concerning Phil's future. I didn't want him to coach for anyone else. I am glad he will be staying at UT and I am sure we will see him at all the football games to cheer our team on. Best of luck with your new job, Phil. Go Vols !

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to LifetimeVolFan98:

Your point????

I think it's for Coach Fulmer to be called just Mr. Fulmer

troubleinc writes:

All the haters just need to be quite. Fulmer is a class act and I'm happy he's staying at UT. Congrats CPF.

GreerVol22 writes:

upon reflection though, will the folks that have been pro-Fulmer all along continue their spatt everytime we don't make a first down?...something tells me a clean break would be in the best interest of all parties....

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Good luck, Phil.

The dearth of coaching offers is telling.

Now back to getting the Vols competitive.

Major_Magilicutty writes:

this is a mixed bag. we'll see how it pans out, but my instincts lead me to believe that this will be more trouble than it's worth. I hope I'm wrong.

Congrats Fulmer.

username writes:

Did it occur to the haters among us that perhaps Fulmer accepted the position because he actually loves this university and wants to serve in some capacity? Maybe he didn't go to a MSU, Syracuse, or Clemson because he wasn't interested? Or maybe his pride is in the Vols, and nothing else is good enough? Folks, you can hate Fulmer all you want, but that sort of dedication is exactly what I want in ALL of the employees of this fine university.

posivol writes:

in response to country410:

another typical so called idiot fan post--check this out fool---fulmer cant develop talent blah blah blah

Jason Allen, Dolphins FS, 1 tackle

Rashad Baker, Raiders DB, 4 tackles

Kevin Burnett, Cowboys LB, 3 tackles, 1 assist, 1 sack, 1 tackle for loss, 1 QB hurry, 1 pass deflected

Chad Clifton, Packers OT, started

Dustin Colquitt, Chiefs P, 3 punts for 51.0 avg.

Brad Cottam, Chiefs TE, did not record a catch

Shaun Ellis, Jets DE, 8 tackles, 1 assist, 1 QB hurry, 1 forced fumble

Aubrayo Franklin, 49ers NT, 4 tackles, 1 assist

Omar Gaither, Eagles LB, substitution

Deon Grant, Seahawks SS, 4 tackles

Jabari Greer, Bills CB, Inactive

Parys Haralson, 49ers LB, 5 tackles, 3 assists, 1.5 sack, 1 tackle for loss, 2 QB hurries

Albert Haynesworth, Titans DT, 3 tackles, 2 assists, 1 tackle for loss, 1 QB hurry

John Henderson, Jaguars DT, 4 tackles, 2 tackles for loss, 1 QB hurry

Donte' Stallworth, Browns WR, 1 catch for 15 yards

Darwin Walker, Panthers DT, plays Monday vs. Buccaneers

Kelley Washington, Patriots WR, Inactive

Scott Wells, Packers C, started

Gibril Wilson, Raiders DB, 4 tackles, 2 assists

Jason Witten, Cowboys TE, 6 catches for 62 yards

now go ahead and compare to other schools--vols are top of the list.

how did saban do against myer saturday 0-1 buddy. and that was with a 12-0 record and a national champioship game on the line. so just stfu!

and please dont forget about our 13-0 record national championship,fulmer didnt choke like the great satan.

just for kicks please tell us your life accomplishments.

dont bother everone already knows your a loser and your posts confirms it.

williamshockley#225607 writes:

Regardless of what others think I believe this is a good move for the University. As a loyal UT graduate; the perception following the "resignation" news conference is that the University was not sensitive to Fulmer's long standing committment to UT. I am glad Phillip can be a part of the University he still loves. I don't see him critizing Kiffin the way former coaches critized their replacements.

pupvol writes:

He just has to stay around and haunt people.go home phil and forget about it please!

zqvol writes:

in response to country410:

You don't get it do you.

He has no desire to leave Knoxville for any other position.

Take your trash and go home.

He is not working for the athletic department but for the president's office. Do you criticize other academic side hires?

Of course not.

Get off your high horse and shut your garbage up. It is old and no one cares. At least Coach Fulmer has class which is more than can be said about you!

Moaninglikeheck writes:

in response to country410:

Good grief.

Hooray, congrats Phil! Once a Vol, always a Vol. Your fingerprint on UT history will never be smudged.

joebomb writes:

I can't believe the idiots still bashing on here. I was wanting the change more than anyone and we got it. He's working under the prez, do you really think you're gonna see him 24/7? It's great that we are keeping the "family" part of UT in tact. That's what so many ex-players rave about and that's what future recruits liked. That can only help having him still part of the university.

orngbluded writes:

in response to country410:

come on are you still on this you have posted this way too many times,who cares we have moved on,just in case you havent heard we have a new coach now his name is Lane Kiffin.so who cares what fulmers record was,we all know what he did.

keithvol1971 writes:

in response to country410:

I'm not sure if you realized this or not. Coach Fulmer is not our coach anymore. We hired a new one, his name is Lane Kiffin. There is no need in putting your stupid posts anymore. You moron!

King53 writes:

my question is how does this affect his buyout? are we going to pay him $145k a month bot to coach football and also pay him for this new job as well???

Slystone writes:

Only at UT can something like this happen. Only in Big Orange Country. In 6 to 8 years Peyton will potentially be the coach (if he is interested) and CLK doesn't get it done. Guess who will be the AD? Hmmm...

williamshockley#225607 writes:

country410....the 3 years you spent in the 5th grade does not qualify you as a UT Graduate. You belong on the Bama website.

BigVolFanInGa writes:

I think it is great that Coach Fulmer is staying with UT. He is a true gentleman, and a much better coach than some of you give him credit for. Even more than that, he has
cared for and coached his players in a manner that has helped many of them prepare for life after football

He was courteous and kind when I briefly met him for the first time on the first day of practice for the BCS National Championship game, taking time to talk to me, a simple fan, while the national and Arizona media waited. During his last few days in the football offices, he again showed the kindness by taking time, along with his assistant coaches, to autograph a football as a gift I plan to give my son for Christmas. I was equally impressed by the manner in which his assistant coaches treated me as they each autographed the football....especially courteous was Coach Dave Clawson.

I thanked coach Fulmer for his contributions to UT football, and although I did not want to bring up the situation by telling him I was a supporter of his, I am sure he knew I was, or I would not have been there. He will always be a part of Tennessee football for me and my family. I wish him and his assistants well in the future, and we should all do the same.

Volunatic writes:

Glad you're staying at UT for now, Coach! That Petersen chump could use a good PR man.
GO VOLS!

DadwasaVol writes:

in response to country410:

Read the article before commenting - he is not being hired to be the coach.

kjvols writes:

im glad he is still involved. he's a good guy, im glad he still around. "just not as coach"