Former UT commitment Allen now trying to recruit Teague to LSU

Rogers, Gordon excited to play for Kiffin next

How would you rate Tennessee's recruiting class?

See the results »

View previous polls »

GREENEVILLE - The Toyota East vs. West All-Star Classic may be the first televised Saturday afternoon game for Zach Rogers, Dominique Allen and Eric Gordon, but it certainly won't be the last. The best players from both ends of the state will face off Saturday at Carson-Newman College's Burke-Tarr Stadium. Kickoff is set for noon (TV: WVLT).

Allen wasn't sure he would make the trip to the All-Star game when he first received the invitation. What brought him to East Tennessee was one more chance to play with teammate Marsalis Teague. The two have been highly sought after recruits from Henry County High School in Paris.

"This might be the last time I get to play with Marsalis," Allen said. "I'm looking forward to the game Saturday and believe West will come out the winner."

Allen was at one time part of the 2009 University of Tennessee signing class, but has since moved his commitment to LSU. While the Vols haven't given up on Allen just yet, he describes himself as "solidly with LSU." It's a decision he made long before the coaching change from Phillip Fulmer to Lane Kiffin on Nov. 1.

"I knew it from the first time I went down there to LSU," Allen said. "I made the decision before Coach Fulmer left. LSU told me they were going to put me in there and I'll have a baptism by fire. I want to make LSU a better place."

If Allen has his way, he won't be heading to Louisiana alone. Though Teague has already committed to Florida, Allen has been in his ear to change his mind. The two began their football careers together as children. If Teague does go to Florida, it will be the first time he and Allen have ever faced off against each other on separate teams.

"I'm trying to bring over Marsalis," Allen said. "He's already committed to Florida, and that's going to be kind of odd. We've played together since Pee Wee football."

There hasn't been a question where Rogers would play college ball for some time. Committing to UT in July, the David Lipscomb wide receiver never wavered. It probably didn't hurt that his brother, wideout Austin Rogers, was already on the team.

"I've always wanted to play with him," Rogers said. "We've always been one year off so we never got to play together. Next year should be special."

Part of what will make that special is the new staff and system set forth by Kiffin.

"I was a little shaky after the firing of Coach Fulmer," Rogers said. "But I like the hire in Coach Kiffin. He's a calm and sharp guy. I think he's a great coach and am looking forward to things he's going to do. He did some big things at USC and he's going to bring that winning tradition back over to Knoxville."

While Allen may be working on Teague for LSU, Rogers is spending his week talking up the Vols.

"This is a real chill weekend and I'm enjoying it," Rogers said. "I'm trying to help out the guys who don't know where they're going yet."

Hillsboro defensive back Eric Gordon doesn't need to be convinced. On Tuesday he made his decision to joins Rogers at UT.

Before his announcement, the line on Gordon was that he would be heading out of the state to play. Kiffin worked to change that within hours of being named coach of the Vols.

"Coach Kiffin talked to me on his first day on the job," Gordon said. "He crowded it all up in two minutes, then he came out to see me. He knows what he's talking about. He has a lot of playmakers coming and we're hopefully going to build a dynasty."

Rogers is looking to end his high school career on a high note, after a heartbreaking loss to in the Class 3A semifinals to Memphis Mitchell.

“I want to put the pads on again with some guys from my school,” Rogers said. “After that devastating loss in the semifinals, that was really the deciding factor. It still hurts and I want to get some revenge and play a good game.”

For Gordon, the All-Star game is all about enjoying himself. For once, he’ll be lining up with the best players from West Tennessee, not against them.

“It’s a relaxed time to go out and compete,” Gordon said. “I’m used to going hard against these guys so this time, I’m going to have a lot of fun out here.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2008, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Links

gwbask writes:

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Should be interesting with lots on eyes on these youngsters.

Ironcity writes:

I didn't know Teague had already committed to UF. As for Allen, nothing worse then a Fullback that feels he needs the ball in his hands all the time. Allen should have looked at Ga Tech or another option team.

tenuscvol writes:

Still need a QB...

gwbask writes:

Will Kiffin be there? Good to see that Gordon and Rogers both seem to be very excited about coming to UT and pleased with our new HC.

yeavols#228407 writes:

I wouldnt put my faith into LSU..they have seen their day..LESS Myles is not that good of a coach..he only inherited what the other coach left. This year was living proof of that..Let the boys go to LSU..see ya..

gwbask writes:

in response to yeavols#228407:

I agree. But it will be interesting to see how they do at the QB position, sorta like us. Their QB's cost them alot of points and problems this year. Hope it stays that way.

BillsBrother writes:

It might take a couple of years to build that fence CLK talked about...

gwbask writes:

in response to BillsBrother:

It might take a couple of years to build that fence CLK talked about...

Good way to start would be attending Tenn all star games like this one.

The_Mayor writes:

in response to BillsBrother:

It might take a couple of years to build that fence CLK talked about...

CLK better find a souped up come along tool and post hole diggers. He don't have a couple of years with this bunch.

NoogaVol55 writes:

I just hope our recruits don't get hurt...I realize this is probably fun for them, but they really do not have anything to prove...a busted knee could really set them back...stay safe fellas...except for Allen!!!

utmdm writes:

Guess Allen feels better playing FB for LSU than he does playing FB for UT. Most everyone knows that's where he will end up but I don't think it has sunk in with the young man yet. Best of luck to him.

vols1314 writes:

in response to NoogaVol55:

hey, you need to get off here. He is a good kid. And you need to shutup. By the way, he was a good player for us down here in Henry County!

ncvol writes:

We will wait and see how Allen makes LSU a better place as he stated above. Best of luck to him. We need someone committed to play for Tennessee. Gordon and Rogers will be great players. It will all work out.
Go Vols!

FLAVOLS writes:

in response to NoogaVol55:

Never wish any kid gets hurt! Idiot!

These players have to make their own choices even if Vol fans disagree. I would never wish injury on any kid and neither should anyone else - you never know when that will come back to bite you.

FWBVol writes:

I know Lane Kiffin has only been on the job about a week and a half, but I can't help but wonder how recruiting would pick up once he names an offensive staff. I appreciate that he's trying to get the right people in place and that he's still having to hold off naming some NFL guys that are under contract. I think some kids have to be wondering who their position coach will be and that might have some impact on their decision.

utmdm writes:

Rivals just dropped Barkley from #1 to #11! It is now Randle, Brown, Jenkins as 1-2-3.

byobbio writes:

OK, i couldn't figure out a better place to put this than right here. I mean, what do you have to do to not get a scholarship offer from Ole Miss? See quote from rivals.com:

" The junior college top 100 recently was updated, and there was a significant move in the four-star rankings. Moving up to four stars is Scooba (Miss.) East Mississippi CC safety Jamar Hornsby, who was dismissed from Florida over the summer after using a deceased friend's gas card. Hornsby recently committed to Ole Miss. "I'm real excited," he said. "When I was growing up, I wanted to play in the SEC. I went to Florida. That didn't work out. This will with Ole Miss."

I can't believe any coach in the SEC would recruit this guy.
BYOBBIO

BigOrangeinCharge writes:

Just shows how much work needs to be done on keeping our best in-state. For all the trash talking recruiting gurus like to make about how TN just doesn't produce the talent, we've been watching a lot of sought after prospects go to big time programs elsewhere.

I won't miss Allen too much since he's almost sure to wind up at FB if he doesn't switch to LB. I guess he bought LSU's promises of immediate playing time at RB. Teague would be a good one to steal out from under Florida's nose, though.

Hopefully Kiffin can pull out some surprises besides Gordon, who's the only one he's actually talked into coming to UT so far. The rest have just been trying to salvage players he wanted from Fulmer's efforts, but then he's only been on the job 2 weeks...

Jamey1210 writes:

in response to tenuscvol:

Still need a QB...

shut up! I am tired of the negative.......... Go back down stairs to your moms basement. Sorry they can't afford you a personnel computer.

NoogaVol55 writes:

in response to FLAVOLS:

Never wish any kid gets hurt! Idiot!

Its official...no one can joke on this site anymore. Calm down fellas...I don't wish for anybody to get hurt. Sorry to offend anyone by making a joke about a recruit who committed to UT then backed out....

That being said, I still don't see why, considering the majority of these kids are already committed to play college ball, they would take a chance at getting hurt playing in these All-Star games. The potential downside is far greater than any upside for the majority of these players.

Slystone writes:

in response to BillsBrother:

It might take a couple of years to build that fence CLK talked about...

He'll have more trouble building it around Memphis, ask Pearl.

NoogaVol55 writes:

in response to vols1314:

It was a JOKE...didn't mean to "ruffle any feathers". I wish the kid all the best. I hope he is an All SEC D-Lineman down at LSU....(that was another joke)

utmdm writes:

Per Scout:

Bryce Petty was enthused about the new offense that Lane Kiffin would be bringing to Tennessee and affirmed his commitment last week, but the Volunteers are looking in a new direction and Petty is now back on the market.

utmdm writes:

Wonder how what signal this sends to some of the other recruits on our current commit list and how many others may be set free.

NoogaVol55 writes:

in response to utmdm:

Per Scout:

You can say one thing about Kiffin...he is not afraid to say it like it is. I am really hoping he can develop Stephens or Coleman.

TennesseeGirl1630 writes:

jamar hornsby (from UF) went to my middle and high school with me down in florida. that kid is far more worthless than you can even understand. terrible person and terrible idea for ole miss to pick him up.

utmdm writes:

in response to NoogaVol55:

Kiffin, has reviewed the tapes by now and I think he understands what he has in house and how they came in as rated. He is probably figuring he has a 1 out of 3 chance with some focused training and a stronger reliance on the run game so as to not overload the one he chooses. He seems to have shored up the RB's. Behind scenes who knows what is going on with the OL and we know he is focused on receivers. Time will tell.

utmdm writes:

in response to NoogaVol55:

I get the picture that Kiffin knows what he wants, what will work in his system and is not going to settle. Time is short this year and many relationships have been established. We may even see a lot of this year's scholie limit carried over to next year where he can make better use of his efforts to get the best in his analysis.

utmdm writes:

If I read this right on latest Rivals, Giles is not in the top 100.

NoogaVol55 writes:

in response to utmdm:

Good point...stock up for next year...I read somewhere he was pretty high on the QB out of Memphis...Barry Brunetti (sp)??? Whoever it may be, I gurantee he brings in a top notch QB next year!!

utchris writes:

in response to NoogaVol55:

He visited Brunetti last week.

I watched this kid several times this year and was hoping TN would get in the mix with him. Brunetti is really talented. He has a big league arm, but his athleticism is equally as impressive.

I guess if I had to compare him to someone it would be along the lines of a Chris Leak, but maybe a better arm. Can fit the pocket passer system, but could definitely be dangerous with his feet if need be.

govols87 writes:

A few points...Allen buddy...you're not gonna get to play HB at LSU til maybe your SR year...Murphy was a FR this year I think and he'll be running the ball for a couple more years...and especially not next season...Charles Scott,Trindon Holliday, and Keiland Williams will all be back in '09. So good luck with that. Also, Kiffin has his eye on the 2008 Washington Gatorade HS Player of the year in Jake Heaps who was a JR qb this year. We are listed in his top 5. If CLK doesn't have a QB in mind for this class then so be it. He has talent at the position returning. I know I know "they suck!"...but I disagree. They didn't have a coach worth a phooey to teach them how to be a real field general. I got the faith...and yah I am a Kiff-Aid drinker and proud of it. GO VOLS!!!

govols87 writes:

well...correction...Richard Murphy was a SO this year but there is a FR HB on LSUs roster plus LSU signed Michael Ford who's a 4star HB ranked #9 by rivals.com....GO VOLS!

utmdm writes:

Rivals has delisted Phillips as a commit, but does show us in the lead at this point.

98memories writes:

Marsalis,

I hope you are reading this board. I have plenty of relatives in Henry County with the last name Teague. I'm pretty sure we're distant relations. Don't make the mistake and go to LSU. Go to the hill and carry the pill.

carters_dad writes:

Texas QB Pulls Pledge to Vols:
Lane Kiffin made a clean sweep of UT’s quarterback commitments tonight when he sent word to Bryce Petty of Midlothian, Texas, telling the nation’s No. 31 ranked QB prospect he didn’t fit the Vols new pro-style system.

This is on the front page on scout!

yeavols#228407 writes:

in response to govols87:

I am with GOVOLS87 on that one. It's worth hearing again..

hueypilot writes:

Releases Boyd. Releases Petty. Whether you agree with him or not, you've got to admire Kiffin's honesty. I think it will play well for him in the future. I also think he probably sees Crompton or Stephens or Coleman as adequate (kinda like John Parker Wilson or Mike Mauck or Jay Barker to name a few average qb's with great team records) given a decent running game and a few receivers that can get open. Speaking of which, anybody but me notice the coverage of Florida and Alabma's receivers which was pretty tight, particularly on Tebow's two short TD passes vs. the coverage of Oklahoma's and Mizzou's receivers which was almost always very loose? Maybe there is something to this difference between the pass defense in the two conferences. Guess we'll get to see on Elvis' birthday (Jan 8).

leedsvol2007 writes:

Anyone else thinks its premature to rate a recruiting class? Singing date is not until February and my guess is there will be some commitment changes by then.

We obviously need to find a quarterback.

GoVols!

beachvol1 writes:

Teague has not comitted to thhe Gators, he just has them at the top of his list to this point....I really think coach Kif has him thinking more abouth the Vols and getting him to the game at Carson-Newman can't hurt...His is an unbelievabe athlete, as I have seen him in person since I officiate high school football..plus a class act with around a 3.8 grade average...Mr Allen is also a good one with his size and has decent speed for a big guy...he may not be as happy down in Bayou Country once he gets there and sees how far down he will be on the chart, where Mr Teague will compete immediately whereever he goes...

yeavols#228407 writes:

in response to leedsvol2007:

We obviously need to find a quarterback.

GoVols!

Yes it is leeds..how many times have we seen these kids jolt, bolt, and float over to another team at the very last minute. I wouldnt be surprised if some of these recruits we picked up change their minds and likewise some that de-committed to recommit. Nothing is official until signing day..

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to NoogaVol55:

His strategy at qb must be that he see's potential in one of the qb's we have. Then by not selecting any qb this year it will leave it wide open next year for him to get the best available.

MidTennVol writes:

in response to FWBVol:

Agree, FWB. Good thing we have until signing day, the first Wednesday in February.

If Kiffin is as good a recruiter as his reputation says, I see a significant surge and improvement after the new staff is in place.

All that matters is who signs in ink on signing day and we have plenty of time.

Triton1 writes:

in response to gwbask:

Dumbest post I've seen in a few days. That being said, These guys would be a good place for Kiffin to start building that fence.

feathersax writes:

in response to yeavols#228407:

Less Smiles ran the table & is coming up VERY shortat LSU! They had the same number of SEC wins as the Vols. DUHHHHHH! His style of coaching & play calling don't work with the SEC defenses. All that talent is going to waste. If Mr. Allen gets wise he'll come to UT.

lomas98 writes:

We do need a QB, that is obvious. Maybe we should have concentrated on some more targets last year. We spent a lot of time and energy recruiting a kid out of Sarasota that everyone else in the country knew he was going to play baseball. We also miscalculated Crompton big time, but who knew that? None of the experts on this board knew Crompton would be so bad. Maybe Lane can turn him around. The chances of a true freshman QB coming in and starting from day one are slim anyway.

TNfaninMS writes:

I dont know if it is just me, but I dont want a kid that doesnt bleed orange to come and disrupt the ambiance of flow that kiffin will instill in our program. You know one bad apple can ruin the bunch, get Teague and leave that Allen kid to sit on the bench in the bayou. I want all of these kids to make the right decision for themselves and do not wish them ill, but I want TENNESSEE to have the best and want all of our kids to WANT to be a part of the Tradition that is THE University of Tennessee.

tino2009 writes:

Boys and girls we have no quaterbacks as now...check this report from espn...

smoky50 writes:

in response to Slystone:

He'll have more trouble building it around Memphis, ask Pearl.

Coach Kiffin won't have any trouble recruiting football players from the Memphis area. I lived in the Memphis area my entire life and there is no comparisson between the basketball team and football team. Memphis has always had a strong basketball team. The football team for a lack of better words is a disappointment every year. It's always been said that the U of M should dismantle the football program and invest everything into the basketball program. Go get 'em Coach! GO VOLS!