Monte Kiffin to join son at UT

Who would you rather have as Tennessee's defensive coordinator?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin confirmed Sunday that he will join his son at the University of Tennessee after the NFL season ends.

Monte Kiffin told the St. Petersburg Times that he will become Tennessee's defensive coordinator. Lane Kiffin was named UT coach on Dec. 1.

"I made the decision last weekend and I went back and forth," Monte Kiffin told the newspaper. "It was a very, very hard decision because of players, our fans. When you've been in a place since 1996, you don't just jump ship. I've had other opportunities. There was one that came up last year that was a great opportunity and people don't even know for sure about the whole thing. But I stayed here, decided to sign back up for two years. But the club was very good about giving me the option to go with my son.

"It boiled down to one thing: It was your son, and that's what it is," Kiffin said. "I love these players. I addressed it Wednesday. I told (General Manager) Bruce (Allen). Jon (Gruden) was the first person I told. The head coach, he should know first. I told the defensive staff before I went downstairs at a quarter 'til 4. We had a team meeting at 4 o'clock and the whole team was there.

"I told them kind of what I'm telling you. I said, 'Guys, this was a tough decision. I went back and forth. I said I just want you to know now. I didn't think it was right to keep carrying it out.' "

Monte Kiffin has been regarded as one of the best defensive coordinators in the NFL for years. The Bucs, after a 13-10, overtime loss to the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday, are 9-5 and in second place in the NFC South.

“That would be almost like winning the lottery,” linebacker prospect Nigel Mitchell-Thornton said of playing for Monte Kiffin. “You’re learning an NFL system in college."

gohawks1 writes:

ROCK AND ROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

yeavols#228407 writes:

junder13 writes:

OFFICIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEEEEEEEES!!!!

txvolsfan writes:

Bring it on!!!!

NoogaVol55 writes:

Not surprising...awesome news though now that it is official!!!

carsontwin writes:

This is great! cant wait to see what defensive recruits we pick up! The staff is comming together! Vols 09'!

yeavols#228407 writes:

in response to colonelangus:

LOL ...no doubt!

cainclifton23 writes:

I think we will get a lot of recruiting surprises out of this.

We are high on the list of the #6 player in the nation. LB from Hawaii.

Now i just wonder how long he is planning on staying

vol1994 writes:

KNS- This was reported earlier today. How can you be the paper of choice (knoxville) for the #1 university of the state of TN and not get this news any sooner to the public?

Just curious!

spvol writes:

We'll see. I haven't been impressed with Tampa against the run.

zqvol writes:

After watching Tampa today, oh well its not a big step down from Chief.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Lordy, we will have a d-line to go with our great d-backs.

Might even have some agressive linebackers.

Loved Chavis and know we had great stats on a 5-7, but where the rubber met the road, 97 yard drive by Ga, etc.

Simply overall can't be satified by two losing seasons in the last 4, no SEC ring in 10 YEARS!

Phil is a good man but MAY fade to black eventually.

Geezer power!

Go Vols!!

yeavols#228407 writes:

NEWSFLASH= EDWIN HERBERT, who once committed to Tennessee, then decided to go to North Carolina State, but wants to take a visit to other schools, who de-committed to Tennessee, who finally took a visit to Florida and committed, just learned that Monte Kiffin will be the new Defensive Cooridinator for UT. It is now reported that HERBERT may be reconsidering his reconsideration to Tennessee. News at 11

GahLee writes:

More important to me is who his apprentice will be, I believe that he is 72 years old, not sure though, so we know that he probably won't be around for too long, so it will be important to see who Kiffin brings in to be his understudy. It will be interesting to see if we can grab a few top-notch defensive recruits out of this announcement. Someone mentioned Manti T'eo, the Lb out of Hawaii, not sure about us being high on his list, but that sure would be a great land. He could start and make an impact right from the jump. Eric is going to be a monster, not that he wasn't this year, but it's exciting to think that he will have Monte as his coach.

cainclifton23 writes:

in response to zqvol:

After watching Tampa today, oh well its not a big step down from Chief.

Have you seen the RB's he has faces the past couple weeks.

Michael Turner
Carolina, New Orleans 2 RBs

I forgot he would be facing them in college.

cainclifton23 writes:

in response to GahLee:

He's 68.

I wonder how long hes planning on staying

FLAVOLS writes:

in response to spvol:

We'll see. I haven't been impressed with Tampa against the run.

You're an idiot.

JBruce writes:

I don't think that we could have hired a better defensive coordinator than Monte Kiffin, however we have got to bring in some solid position coaches to help him.

Monte is one of the best x's and o's man in the NFL, but he will not be dealing with professionals. He will be dealing with inexperienced high school kids with raw talent.

Hopefully we can bring in some top knotch position coaches that can develop the players.

Monte is a good start, but there is a lot of work to be done.

GahLee writes:

Either way, he is getting up there in age, hope that this will sway kids to come here. Dre kirkpatrick, Manti T'eo, would be nice additions.

GR82BAVOL writes:

in response to HBKGault:

I was thinking the same thing Gault...GMTA!!!!

Way 2 go Monte!!!

To whomever posted about not being satisfied with Tampa's run defense today...they only allowed THIRTEEN POINTS, DUH!!!

GahLee writes:

Jbruce, I couldn't have said it better myself. I have head the rumors about coach O, and I have heard that he is a good defensive mind, last I heard about him was a while back though. Position coaches will be very important, cause Monte is great at scheming, but how good is he at developing talent? I will not be the one to doubt him, a great football mind, but he has never had to develop talent. Go Vols!

VolsPride writes:

I guess someone needs to start a Monte Kiffin vs. John Chavis tracker kinda like the Fulmer v. Kiffin tracker.

What was TN's defense ranked last year with a horrible offense? Will Monte really be a step up?

hotrodvol writes:

We now have a legend at DC, Chavis was very good but Monte will be great!!!
Monte may end up being an average recruiter but Chavis wasn't known to be a very good recruiter.
Lets give CLK some time to get his staff together, I would trust he knows recruiting is very important, if he can keep a top 15 class together I think it will be fine. He is probably working on next years class very hard also, maybe harder.

xvillefan writes:

Hope I am wrong but the way I see it:

Coach Kippin is an old man who is looking to retire from working at a high stress job 18 hour days, nine months per year. He wants to be a game day defensive coordinator, not teach 19 year old recruits how to take a three point stance. How relevant will he be to young men UT is trying to recruit, who are 50 years younger?

blitzshoot writes:

He needs the athletes to implement his system.
If you are a high school defensive player, why would you not select UT now?
Good luck to the Kiffins. What an honor a dad gets to coach with his son. I wish them nothing but success and fun.

OMike writes:

I dont care if he is 100yo, some people just can't stand good news. Let Edwin go.

volroadwarrior writes:

in response to zqvol:

After watching Tampa today, oh well its not a big step down from Chief.

C'mon guys. The defense held the Falcons to 13 points and kept the Bucs in the game. They had almost no offense. The defense got 3 turnovers and kept Ryan in check. Not bad.

NoogaVol55 writes:

in response to JBruce:

Monte is a good start, but there is a lot of work to be done.

Don't forget, this is not his first rodeo in college ball...it has been awhile since he was in the college ranks, but I doubt he will have a hard time making the adjustment.

cainclifton23 writes:

If we can get Manti Te'o We will be stacked. Our Lb's and DB will be tops in the SEC.

I hope we start recruting those freak DE's like Mario Williams and Simeon Rice and Gains-Adams

VolinCalif writes:

Monte has coached for a long time. He knows who he can work with and who to bring in to help. His name is tops and recruits notice. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the staff. But I really want to hear some recruiting news. Can't wait for Spring.

GahLee writes:

Manti is a stretch, he is a west coast guy. So i wouldn't count on it, but it would be nice.

hotrodvol writes:

in response to cainclifton23:

Exactly, thats what I'm talking about.

Don't forget Leonard Little.

RaineyVol writes:

This just keeps getting better!!

cainclifton23 writes:

in response to hotrodvol:

Exactly, thats what I'm talking about.

Don't forget Leonard Little.

Theres been a lot of them. Those players impact the game so much.

I don't think that Teo is really a stretch... He will probably be starting if he came. and we did have Jesse Mahalona from the same area as him

VolPride_13 writes:

This is for all of the people saying that the Bucs give up alot of yards: THE TAMPA (TENNESSEE, lol) 2 DEFENSE IS MADE THAT WAY!!! It is made to sacrifice yards for points and turnovers, as seen in today's game!!

theoldbear writes:

I'm a Tampa Bay fan and a long time Vol fan.

That being said, I think Tampa Bay should sue UT for tampering. The Tampa defense last Sunday was the worst I've ever seen it, and I believe that was because Monte was distracted with the Knoxville circus.

They played better today, but the Tampa offense was pathetic. And some folks wanted Jon Gruden, "the offensive genius" as the Vols coach!

Monte Kiffin is 68, even older than I am! And I played single wing football! And wide tackle six defense!

His defense is compicated, and takes college graduates years to learn. If he brings the Tampa Cover Two to Tennessee, I fear that the numbers piled up against it will be tremendous.

My opinion is that Lane will not last as long at UT as he did at Oakland. But Monte is old enough to retire, so it won't matter for him.

I didn't want Fulmer back. I just wanted a coach who could carry on the Tennessee football tradition. And his name isn't Kiffin.

DennisVols writes:

Bring on the Big Orange Swarm.

jturne44 writes:

in response to VolsPride:

we gave up 27 to an awful ucla team, 30 to florida (3rd game into the season so don't say anything about their spectacular offense), 26 to georgia (georgia tech beat em), 29 to bama (I honestly don't mind that one), 27 to freakin south carolina, and 13 to the worst mountain west team in wyoming. Most of those were at home...the only thing I honestly think we were really good at was run stopping and interceptions...we were far from the best defense...

jsm67vol writes:

This is what I've been waiting to hear. Welcome to UT Monte! I've been wanting to post this somewhere but the kns didn't have an article with this info until now. I guess I shouldn't be too hard on them, they did get it on here the same day at least.Go Vols! I'm glad to finally get this rumor confirmed. Next up......Orgeron? Come on to the Hill and recruit your *** off and get us some big, angry, uglies to give this D the up front push we need----not that the guys we had this year didn't do a good job, they kept us close in many this year.

OrangePower11 writes:

in response to spvol:

We'll see. I haven't been impressed with Tampa against the run.

Well, given the fact that Tampa's top 2 DT did not even dress for the game, I'd say holding the Falcons to 10 points in regulation with a couple of turnovers to boot aint too shabby....but go ahead and stay unimpressed with a top 10 defense in the NFL that ranks top 5 against the run...dont let the facts get in the way

jturne44 writes:

in response to xvillefan:

Hope I am wrong but the way I see it:

first off its kiffin...second of all one name...joe paterno...he recruits those kids and they play their hearts out for them...he will be an x and o guy like people have said...coach k will bring in people to be position coaches plus we will prob retain a few...and fulmer wasn't necessarily a young man himself...

Coach_K writes:

I'm sick of everyone talking about how good Chavis was. He has put together some good units over the years, but how many more times was I expected to watch us line up with our DB's six yards off the line of scrimage on 3rd and 3?

OrangePower11 writes:

in response to JBruce:

Monte is a good start, but there is a lot of work to be done.

Just like the ones he coached while he was at N.C State and Nebraska...I have more inside info on Tampa Bay than most, and I can ASSURE you that Monte Kiffin is one of the best TEACHERS in all of football, at any level.

govols22231 writes:

Maybe Monte can do for the Vols what Ken Donahue did for the 85 team. Poor Vinny never knew what hit him. I don't think Jimmy Johnson would say age is a factor for your DC..

DAWGSSUCK writes:

in response to xvillefan:

Hope I am wrong but the way I see it:

Ok, at first I thought a few people were just mistyping Kiffin, but the p and f are wayyy to far apart for it to be an accident. It's KiFFin for god's sakes and judging from his buyout amount for the next few years he's gonna be here a bit whether you like him or not. Learn to type.

OrangePower11 writes:

in response to GahLee:

Why do people like you insist on posting lies or mis-information? Do some homework on the "talent" that Monte hasnt had to develop....HE WAS A COLLEGE COACH BEFORE, AND WAS A FINALIST FOR THE NEBRASKA JOB THE LAST 2 TIMES ITS BEEN OPEN. Guys become coordinators once they demonstrate an ability to develop talent and cultivate it towards a particular scheme....I'd say Monte knows what he's doing...People talk about the Dungy coaching tree....its a MONTE TREE (Marinelli, Edwards, Tomlin, Smith) all former position coaches under Monte that are now head men, and another 3 that are defensive coordinators in the NFL.....Should I continue?

VolInIndy writes:

in response to jturne44:

You might want to take Wyoming off your list. One TD was an interception return and the other was a drive of what, four yards, after another interception.

TNPilgrim writes:

This confirms the worst kept secret in college sports. Should be some help with what's left of this year's recruiting class - but next year's class will have to be a killer to keep up with everybody's expectations. Can't wait to see what they look like next fall.

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to spvol:

We'll see. I haven't been impressed with Tampa against the run.

So he can scheme against the best in the NFL for years and is regarded as the best in the league...you may be right -he might not be able to handle the likes of Georgia, Kentucky, etc......IDIOT.

cainclifton23 writes:

Ed Ogeron will be our D-Line Coach, and Mentor under Kiffin until he retires,, then take over our Dcoord pos.

Doesnt sound like a bad trade to me.