Herrera calls Fulmer a 'two-faced guy'

Minnesota Vikings guard Anthony Herrera probably isn't planning to send a Christmas card to former University of Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer.

Herrera, who was at UT from 1999-03, made three references to the Vols in a Q&A with Bob Sansevere of the Pioneer Press in St. Paul, Minn. None were complimentary.

"My biggest regret was going to the University of Tennessee. The head coach, Phillip Fulmer, is a very two-faced guy. The side you saw out of him through recruiting wasn't the side that you saw once you got there. He wasn't a molder of men. He was just a politician, trying to work his way through. I thought about leaving, but my teammates, being there for the team, is what kept me there."

Later when asked the worst advice? Herrera said "Go to the University of Tennessee."

The followup question was if he could change one thing about my life, Herrera shot back, "I wouldn't have gone to the University of Tennessee."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2008, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

DennisVols writes:

A bit bitter are we?

orangebloodgmc writes:

Yeah, it must suc to get a free college education.

govolsxtra writes:

Wow I doubt that anybody else is going to say that about foolmer. It seems like all the players from this year loved fulmer, apparently this guy didnt get on the cool aid. And how is this going to help our recruiting.
Thanks KNS for reporting this because go vols xtra is probably the website our recruits check for news; like me.

tnbigg writes:

My...my...my...reality strikes again...

JMP_Vols writes:

Where is his Christmas cheer?
Couldn't have been all bad, Anthony. The University of Tennessee launched a professional career for you, didn't it??

VOLorado writes:

What a classy guy!

Well! I started to become less enchanted with Fulmer as a coach during the period Herrera played here, but talk about a case of biting the hand that feeds you! I am sure guys good enough to play in the League could have been found wherever they played in college, but the visibility Herrera got here couldn't have hurt. I don't know what went down between him and CPF--does anyone else?--but it couldn't have hurt him all that much! Not good to hear, whatever one may have thought of CPF, on or off the field.

wagee12 writes:

The key word was politician. Whether the Fulmeraholics want to admit it or not, that is exactly what he was. He developed personal and business relationships with powerful boosters and BOT members in order to solidify his hold on the head coaching position at Tennessee. I don't wish the man any ill will, but obviously there is no demand for him as a head football coach. He should gracefully enter retirement or direct his atention to some private business ventures that would occupy his time.
The bottom line is this: fun and excitment are returning to the Big Orange football program. The fan apathy that has been so obvious the past few years will be gone and CLK will be the point man on the climb back to SEC and national prestige.

Psychovol writes:

Maybe he hasn't kept up with the news and doesn't know Phil got canned.

Colliervol writes:

in response to govolsxtra:

I would be worried about a recruit if he based his decision on the comments on this site. Wouldn't say much about his intelligence.

Man, this is going to be one of those 500 post articles.

To be fair to CPF, I was pretty much a kool-aid drinker until the loss in the 2001 SEC championship game. Something just didn't seem right about the way we didn't show up for that game. So maybe whatever Herrera didn't like about CPF or the program started to crop up about that time. I don't guess we will ever get the inside scoop on this, but it sure is a head-scratcher right now, for me at least.

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

Herrera doesn't need to throw out the baby with the bath water. Fulmer belongs under the bus, but not the whole University.

Kiffin_fan writes:

This is the reason the man is no longer our coach. It doesn't just happen in one season, it happens over time. So, for all of those that think he should have been given a chance to turn it around because he was workin-like-heck, this should tell you why he is now XCPF.

rabidvol1998 writes:

When several hundred players spend their hard earned money to take out a full page ad saying Fulmer is two-faced, it might mean something.
One disgruntled player who parlayed his miserable time here into an NFL career is not a story.

username writes:

It would be nice to get a few specifics from Mr. Herrera, because the interview tells us nothing except that he didn't much like Coach Fulmer. Anyone can say things after the fact, but without substantiation, those things seem more like sour grapes than anything else.

SemperVol writes:

A Trinidad native complaining about his the opportunity that Tennessee gave him to showcase and prepare himself for NFL big bucks now burns the bridge that led him there.

You, Anthony, suck.

AnyMouse69 writes:

I guess this wouldn't be a good time to ask for a donation to the scholarship fund.

stinky_pinky writes:

rabidvol1998 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

If you are scratching your head over those facts it must be lice.

So "whatever cropped up" affected the LSU game but not the Florida game the week before or the Michigan game 3 weeks later?????

Get real.

bugman (Inactive) writes:

he needs to listen to more west side story

Moaninglikeheck writes:

in response to username:

EXACTLY. One man's sour grapes.

As Paul Harvey would say, the "Rest of the Story".

Shame on you KNS. This paper is barely fit for a bathroom stall in Neyland.

"For much of the this fall, various groups have voiced their opinions about the Tennessee football program and its leadership. The Athletic Department has heard from donors, ticket holders, sidewalk alumni, journalists and self-styled commentators.

But it hasn't heard from us. That is, until now.

We are former players. Our ranks also include people in each of the groups mentioned above.

Our perspective is unique. Our physical, emotional and spiritual investment in Tennessee football can't be measured - and probably can't even be understood without going through it. Let us be very clear:

We are proud that Coach Fulmer is the head football coach of our team.

We're glad that he leads and teaches the young men in our program. For some of us, those young men include our sons and other family members. He is what we want our children to be, and what we work to be more like every day of our lives.

The skills necessary to be successful aren't industry-specific. They include qualities like honesty, clarity of purpose, a daily commitment to improvement, discipline, attention to detail, focus, an incredible work ethic, the ability to work with others and a willingness to learn from adversity.

These skills do not become dated; time does not pass them by.

Coach Fulmer not only possesses these in abundance, he teaches them to young people. He represents the best of what a university can and should be. He prepares young men for life.

Given his accomplishments at Tennessee, the discussions surrounding his future here would be laughable - if the potential consequences weren't so serious.

Don't misunderstand us; the seriousness of the consequences has nothing to do with the possibility of Phillip Fulmer losing a job.

The terrible loss would be if the University of Tennessee lost Phillip Fulmer."

jasvol writes:

Herrera, you are a typical NFL player. Whinny, spoiled and unappreciative.

ajbake writes:

gbeejr#1354500 writes:

This article is making me wonder what former Fulmer players may have a axe to grind. For all you with a better memory than mine, who was the lineman that Fulmer suspended that shoved a band student that had spit on him? I first thought it was Herrera, but now I'm thinking it was Albert Toenia (sp?). Anyway, with Fulmer having coached what probably amounts to several thousand players, I bet there are plenty of discontents out there.

Kiffin_fan writes:

Wow this one really brought out the crybaby Fulmerites didn't it???

volchiq writes:

I agree with those that want to know the rest of the story with this. Why was UT even on his mind at this interview? He is dwelling on the past a tad bit and I feel sorry for him if there hasn't been anything in his life since then that he can look to. Is he being released or traded or moved down to the practice squad? He is awfully bitter about getting the opportunity to make millions of dollars. It would be different if he hadn't made it to the NFL.

volaboard writes:

in response to rabidvol1998:

If you are scratching your head over those facts it must be lice.

Get real.

I seem to recall that Phil took Travis Stephens and John Henderson to the ESPN awards show the night prior to the SEC champioship game. Stephens was up for the Doak Walker and Big John was a finalist to repeat for the Outland.

I sat in disbelief as I watched Phil, Travis and John sit in Orlando, while the rest of the team was in Atlanta. It seemed that Phil was sacrificing the team in favor of individual awards.

While I agree UT looked great against FL the week prior and later against Michigan, they clearly were not focused on the SEC championship game.

OldNumber7 writes:

When Fulmer was getting NFL recruits but not playing competitively, it was obvious the promises were not being kept. Brandon Warren is a perfect example. This kind of thing does not surprise me one bit.

littleorange writes:

The News Sentinel ,Herrera, and John Adams are a complete disgrace.

Colliervol writes:

in response to Kiffin_fan:

Wow this one really brought out the crybaby Fulmerites didn't it???

As noted, it will be one of those 500 post articles. The thing I can't figure out is that Adams and most of the KNS crew couldn't wait to see Phil gone and now they can't stop writing articles about him. Just like they did with monthly articles about Majors, I guess we now have this to look forward to with Phil.

Don't care what the KNS thinks. Don't care what Phil or his can't-face-that-he's-gone supporters think. Don't care what his ex-players think, pro or con. He's gone and I am looking to the future. Simple as that.

Kiffin_fan writes:

in response to Colliervol:

Amen Collier, well said!!!!

rabidvol1998 writes:

in response to volaboard:

Are you sure the awards are before the game? They were not this year. Al Wilson was at the 98 awards and we did OK.

I agree we sucked in the LSU game. I just don't agree that means anything in the Karma of Phil Fulmer's career.

us43137415#376444 writes:

Hey Anthony.. I'm failing to see your marvelous stats at the Vikings website. Is there really another reason why you are not at the top of your game?

Maybe you can explain your lackluster play with the Vikings by blaming it on UT-Fulmer, but if the Vikes keep you around, it's because they need to maintain a roster, so if players better than you get hurt, they'll put you in the game.

What a pansie....

nicksjuzunk#646117 writes:

in response to rabidvol1998:

I agree. Weird stuff. I wonder what his problem is. The record shows a tremendous amount of respect for CPF. There will always be one or two cats who will piss in the cereal bowl.

I wonder why the heck he brings this up now???

CoverOrange writes:

So maybe it wasn't just Kelley Washington that festered bad attitudes.

jimr07 writes:

in response to gbeejr#1354500:

especially those that never got to play much.

IdahoVol writes:

in response to ajbake:

This post and Banned hoping Herrera blows out his knee are uncalled for. Obviously there was a problem between Herrera and Fulmer and I agree he should be more appreciative of his free education and road to the NFL. But for those going to the extreme of hoping for injury or death - you guys are bigger losers than Herrera.

LoveTheHaters writes:

You people who arent in the know are hilarious. Most of you dont even know Ant and the type of person he is. Loyalty is all he knows and Fulmer flat out LIED to him, as well as many other players...he's just the first to speak out publicly about his disdain towards not only Fulmer but the university. For those who have never been on campus and seen nooses hung outside Hodges library or seeing the "Rock" painted with racist slurs, or racist white frat boys with painted black faces on MLK Day you'll never understand where all his frustrations lie. Now go back to doing whatever it is you do everyday and stop judging the book by its cover.

tnbigg writes:

"Given his accomplishments at Tennessee, the discussions surrounding his future here would be laughable..."

I'm just wondering out loud...is it still, "Almost laughable"? I mean...other than Tennessee football becoming the laughing stock of the nation under his tenure...have I misses something? "Laughable" it became...the "almost" was blown out of the water...the flim flam man gone mad...

LoveTheHaters writes:

Also have you guys thought to consider that he waited on Fulmer to leave before speaking out?? Trust me there are PLENTY players who absolutely hate Fulmer. Including those that speak highly of him in print media. He went from an undrafted free agent to a starter on a line that has the NFL's best RB right now. Why would he be mad??

FWBVol writes:

in response to ajbake:

That is a sick comment to wish anybody'd death. I don't understand the comments, especially this long after his UT career, and I supported Phillip Fulmer. But to wish somebody would die because they didn't have the warm fuzzies for Fulmer....that's frightening.

annemarie writes:

in response to ajbake:

That has got to be one of the most disgusting things I have EVER read on these boards! You are SICK!!!

Dante writes:

Regardless of his feelings about Fulmer and UT, Herrera's public words were very low class.

Go4Two writes:

in response to johnlg00:

This post sums up whats wrong with college sports. " I was a kool-aid drinker until the loss in the 2001 sec championship game". What this poster is saying I was a fan until we lost. I am right behind you win or tie.

bobbarbilly writes:

Who is the real wearer of two faces here...CPF or the guy who used the University of Tennessee for a launch into a mega-bucks, pro football career and then slaps the hand that lifted him?
I bet he also holds hard feelings toward The Vikings because they did not tell him that it is cold in Minnesota but then... that is a whole 'nother story.

rab writes:

I wonder why he didn't chose one of the Florida schools? I'm sure they recruited him, if nothing else for his ability to fire up the troops.

Go4Two writes:

in response to volaboard:

Football 101 it's tough to get a team back up after one of the biggest wins in Tennessee football history. The second half of the SEC championship game you could see the toll it took.

tennesseebee writes:

What is a herrera? sounds like something you might catch on a wild night in Tiajuanna.

Moaninglikeheck writes:

in response to LoveTheHaters:

Are you saying that Fulmer snuck out in the wee hours of the night to paint slurs on The Rock and hang nooses, just to offend his players? Wow, I really have misjudged him.

However, you have touched on something that is VERY REAL in the south, particularly Tennessee, and that is the stereotype that southerners (especially Tennesseans) are racist. While states like Alabama/ Mississippi have a more institutionalized and historical legacy in that regard, they also have a higher percentage of minorities in their population. Tennessee gets whiter the further East you go. Knoxville is East (in case your are geographically challenged).

I had a friend from Michigan in the military who would drive through Alabama, Mississippi, and any other southern state but would not drive through Tennessee except for Memphis. Perception is reality for many.

There is soooo much more to the problems with Tennessee football and recruiting than some of the more closed minded among you can comprehend. And I'm not sure CLK has the magic fairy dust to cure it. Hope so, but I'm not banking on it. Fulmer was a class act and did the best he could to convince these young guys to set aside their perceptions to play at Tennessee.

martinvolfan writes:

Wow, poor fella and his meager NFL salary with a free ride at UT before that. Seems like your doin ok for yourself. Why is this junk reported? It serves no purpose.