Colquitt suspended for 5 games and loses scholarship after DUI charge

Britton Coquitt

Britton Coquitt

File photo of Britton Colquitt

Photo by Mark Humphrey/Associated Press

File photo of Britton Colquitt

Tennessee junior All-SEC punter Britton Colquitt will be suspended the Vols' first five games this season and will lose his scholarship following an arrest early Sunday morning on charges of DUI and leaving the scene of an accident.

"I'm very disappointed that Britton doesn't appreciate the blessings he has been given from his family and his team," UT coach Phillip Fulmer said in a statement released Sunday night. "Along with the five-game suspension, I am taking his scholarship away and he will be required to undergo alcohol counseling as well as other internal punishments."

Fulmer previously suspended Colquitt in March of 2004, following the former Bearden High School standout's fourth alcohol-related incident since arriving on campus in 2003.

His latest arrest came shortly around 3 a.m. Sunday, when according to the Knox County Judicial Commissioner's Office, the 22-year-old Colquitt hit a parked car on Jackson Avenue near Humes Street, a few blocks east of the Old City.

He then fled the scene in his 1998 Jeep Cherokee, and Knoxville police stopped Colquitt about a mile away on Gill Avenue near Gratz Street.

According to police records, Colquitt admitted to have two beers, three mixed drinks and hitting the parked Ford Focus as well as a tree stump.

Police said Colquitt had a "strong order of alcohol," bloodshot eyes, slurred speech and staggered when he walked.

He performed poorly on a field sobriety test and refused a chemical test, which could be either a blood or breathalyzer test, according to the Judicial Commissioner's Office.

He was released from the Knox County Detention Center on bond at 9 a.m. this morning, and his initial hearing is set for 10 a.m. on March 5.

According to police records, damage from the accident exceeded $400.

Fulmer could not be reached for additional comment.

Sunday's arrest is the fifth alcohol-related incident involving Colquitt, whose older brother Dustin was an All-American punter and father Craig was an All-SEC punter at Tennessee.

In 2003, UT police charged Britton Colquitt three times in 12 days on alcohol-related charges, including DUI and underage consumption.

His first DUI charge was dismissed by a Knox County General Sessions Court judge in August 2004.

Colquitt is the sixth UT football player charged by police since Jan. 11 and the second to be hit with a DUI charge in a little over two weeks.

On Feb. 2, 27-year-old walk-on defensive back and former professional baseball player Vince Faison was charged with DUI after UT police found him passed out behind the wheel of his truck in the parking lot of a restaurant on Cumberland Avenue.

Fulmer also dismissed two players, sophomores Antonio Wardlow and Dorian Davis, last week for an unspecified violation of team rules.

Another player was also punished by Fulmer, although not charged by police, for his role in an incident in which two teammates were charged with possession of marijuana.

In all, Fulmer has disciplined nine players in a little more than a month.

More details online as the develop and in tomorrow's News Sentinel.

Darren Dunlap contributed to this report.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2008, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

SmokeDog72 writes:

Here we go again. The inmates are running the asylum.

WhitePineVol77 writes:

Oh well, another one bites the dust. At least he owned up, when confronted, but would have obviously been better had he not skipped out. Take it like a man, button your upper lip and move on. I thought he had graduated, but it seems he is still on the team, for now. CPF, do the right thing...we hope you will.

thesavageorange writes:

I guess I have to admit it.This is getting out of hand.However I don't know how CPF or anyone else can fix it.

weisgarber2003#313889 writes:

No problem here. The kindly counseling of Father Fulmer and the requisite profound PF apology will be forthcoming.

snowvol writes:

When will this stop, Phil? Fans can say all they want about how they're "kids", and that kids do stupid things. Look around major football programs right now. While most every one of them has a problem here and there, we are surpassing all of them. It sickens me that we are fast-approaching the old Miami Hurricanes.

vol_in_lsu_land writes:

Oh phooey.

OK it's really become a problem, Phil. It has REALLY become a problem. I'm one of your supporters here buddy. I think you are as orange blooded as anyone comes, but the UNIVERSITY and the reputation of this football program and team have hit rock bottom during this off season. Britton Colquitt??? I make no assumptions about the character of one of our biggest team leaders, but his being from the famous "Kicking Colquitt" family I think this comes as a shock! Hit and run? Fleeing an accident?

Phil, CLEAN THIS TEAM UP! LOCK THEM DOWN. MAKE THEM TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY OR ELSE THE VOL NATION WILL NO LONGER SUPPORT YOU! I hope it isn't too late already coach.

TommyJack writes:

Suspend him for the GA Southern game.

Colliervol writes:

As noted after the other five last month, this team is backsliding and is in danger of repeating 2004 and 2005. As I recall, this isn't the first time for Britton, is it? See you later kid. Time to go. Do we have another punter on the team?

Note to Mike Hamilton: As much as I'd like to think Phil can do it, I believe the players don't respect him anymore in terms of discipline and authority. Maybe it's time for you to step in. I can put up with a lot of things but not a bunch of louts representing this school. For goodness sake, earn your money.

GIVEHIMSIX writes:

Eventually, someone on this team is going to have to step up and be a leader. Colquitt is a senior, and he has a history of alcohol related issues. There is absolutely no excuse for a team to lack this much maturity. Think about how this will reflect during the season and in recruting. Do our players just not care about this program?

I can reasonably see Eric Berry being a captain of this team as a sophomore. He leads on the field, keeps his grades up, and stays out of trouble.

MurphyVol writes:

Mean cops keep picking on our drunk players.

Timbo writes:

i've been a fan a long time but i have to say i'd rather support a team with good character that's mediocre than a winner that lacks it. the problem for Tennessee football is winners don't lack it.

rbatten9#231828 writes:

I want him OFF the team. I am sick of hearing about our players being a bunch of immature twats.

vol52 writes:

Britton has had at least two other ETOH incidents and maybe three. Is Fulmer going to deliver the punishment the other repeat offenders got? I doubt it. Mikey is a powerless puppet of billy bob thornton. It's a wonder we got the quality of talent we got with this year's recruits. The bad publicity just keeps coming.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

As long as he didn't knock anyone from Cal off that tree stump and he fixes the Focus, I say let father Phil counsel him.

He's had enough experience. Calm down, young man. We're moving up to Miami-like territory. All is well.

GerryOP writes:

This should put us in the lead for the much coveted Fulmer Cup! You go Vols! Don't let up now! Get that cup! Maybe that walkon punter will get an early chance to play.

Right the ship, stay the course, all is well.

Colliervol writes:

Here's a thought. If Al Wilson doesn't catch on with an NFL team, maybe we can hire him as Asst. Head Coach in charge of Discipline. He may be the only one left that could get the attention of this team. Obviously, the coaching staff has lost them.

TommyJack writes:

Didn't the Colquitt family make a scholarship donation recently to UT? If so, this is a political nightmare for CPF.

DennisVols writes:

Hard to claim that the KPD was picking on another UT football player this time.
This is not the first time he has been in trouble with Fulmer or the law.
"dang" to quote geoff

agentorange writes:

keeping ut in the top 25 party schools is the off season goal of the fb team.

Colliervol writes:

TJ, I don't think it's such a political nightmare. I'd give 'em back Britton and if they objected, I'd send their check back too. No amount of money should buy silence on this. It is now officially out of hand again.

Smokedog, (speaking of inmates) to quote Strother Martin: "What we got here is failure to communicate." And there appears to be a large communications gap between players and coaches at this point.

tigervol9802 writes:

Good grief. This is past ridiculous.

99gator writes:

y'all may find this ridiculous.....

but, you may want to hire bobby knight as a special consultant to the tenn athletic program.

i guarantee he could put a stop to this mess in a quick hurry.

Colliervol writes:

From the other story on the walk-on punter:

"Cody Ayers, a punter from Carroll County High School in Hillsville, Va., area has accepted an offer to walk on at Tennessee, the Roanoke Times reported Tuesday."

Relax Cody. I think a scholarship just opened up for you buddy.

TommyJack writes:

Collier: Not suggesting a whitewash..just saying a family with as much history (at TN) as the Colquitts makes for a dicey situation.

Colliervol writes:

Oh, I agree TJ. But there's some things that just can't be ignored. And I would hope the Colquitt family understands that.

I know, in my case, the opinions of outsiders and the KPD would have been the least of my worries if I had done what Britton has done repeatedly. I'd have asked them to keep me in jail to keep my Dad from getting hold of me.

utchris writes:

99gator...

that is actually pretty funny.

May have to act quick though, bc rumor has it that he might be headed to Stillwater to replace a soon to be fired Sean Sutton.

ONUV writes:

stay the course. right the ship.

outermonvolia.com

tripper writes:

Was his license plate light out before or after he hit the Ford Focus? We need to open a new crime unit down at KPD, the Volsquad.

invisiblekid writes:

Give him the boot, walk-on punters are easy to come by.

Seriously, it's hard to believe a program with Little and Goodrich as former players can't get the point across about the dangers of drinking and driving any better. If Colquitt isn't gone after, what is it his 3rd or 4th incident, then any remaining shreds of credibility that Fulmer has left will be gone.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Doldrums will soon cover this up until the next blip on the radar. Study the charts.

WYLOVER writes:

give him the boot. this is a joke. Fulmer has one year....this one. after that, gone.

Colliervol writes:

Agreed mcbrim. You might have had us on bar brawls but not on DUI's.

TommyJack writes:

PD: True. And there's about a blip a week.

MrBamSeydu writes:

hahaha, give the guy a break.... at least it was just a Ford Focus and not a Mercedes or BMW. party on Britton!!!

bigorangedaddy writes:

Kick his butt off the team!!! I don't care if it is the starting quarterback or the third string kicker. Coach Fulmer has got to send the message that this is totally unacceptable!!!!

invisiblekid writes:

pdhuff, how can they study the charts when their vision is so blurry? A quick search on Yahoo shows that there are at least 13 taxi services in the greater Knoxville area, time to replace those ever dependable THINK cards with the numbers to some of them.

KnoxVol_in_TX writes:

It's not CPF's fault. This is just getting ridiculous. I sure wish these kids would wisen up!

Quit this $hit!

TommyJack writes:

Kid: Perhaps the AD should purchase an orange short-bus and ferry the team from saloon to saloon. Course that brings up the question, who would drive?

invisiblekid writes:

Collier, I like the idea of Al Wilson roaming the campus again. I haven't followed the situation close but I believe that position as director of high school relations is still open. Wilson always struck me as an outgoing people person LOL.

invisiblekid writes:

TJ, The Big Orange Pub Crawl, I like it. Slade can drive the bus, he doesn't seem too busy with anything else.

bigorangedaddy writes:

When the punishment is a couple of laps and some community service, what is the big deal to a college student? When you are faced with losing your scholarship and not being able to play football anymore, that is a serious consequence!! What these kids need to know is that there is serious consequences to their actions.

TommyJack writes:

Kid: Maybe order a hybrid bus. Keep it PC. When Slade needed a nite off, pull the Chief in. He loves being around the kids...Maybe an occassional shift for CPF; that way he might be able to recognize his running backs. Kind of a bonding thing. Stay the dad-gum course.

yeavols#228407 writes:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD5sahXoj0U

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

I say punt his A$$ 1000 yards out of KTown. We don't need this!!! What is PF going to do when one of his drunk players kills someone? What kind of delima would it raise if a player killed the kid of an even bigger alum than the Colquitts? Regardless, this $hit has got to STOP!!! Give the walkon the job. Go Big Orange (WITHOUT B. COLQUITT)

murrayvol writes:

I can't speak for the Colquitt family but if I were in their shoes, I wouldn't be holding my breath for CPF or anyone else to handle it. I'd want to do something about this for Britton's sake. A hard rain's gonna fall for him sooner rather than later if he doesn't get the boozing under control.

The only good news here is he didn't maim or kill anybody. When and if that happens, no amount of counseling and rehab will put his life back together.

CoverOrange writes:

Is it too late to declare for the draft?

vol4good#206163 writes:

I really hate to say this, but enough is enough. Britton has to be removed from the team. That seems to be the only way Phil can get these players attention. What the hell is he doing out at 2:30 in the morning anyway. Good luck with that Burger King job dude!

yeavols#228407 writes:

make sure your volume is turned up on this one..
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD5sahXoj0U

SmokeDog72 writes:

Shouldn't our guys be visiting more kids in hospitals or something?

I think a schedule of 6 days a week of "voluntary" 6 AM runs might curtail this phooey. No one or two weeks of it. An entire off-season of it. I bet we would look pretty good in the 4th quarter if we did that for 6 months.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

TommyJack - I nominate Whitelightening from Wisconsin. I was impressed with his skill with the K Kreme truck last year. While he did lose part of his load, he would have still gotten some of them back to campus. He didn't hit any tree stumps or Focuses. You'd have to overlook that he stole the dough-nut truck.

Memories.