Zane Bruhin, son of former UT player, dies at 21

Zane Bruhin of Powell.

Photo by Jeff Adkins

Zane Bruhin of Powell.

Zane Bruhin was always a larger-than-life figure walking around the halls of Powell High School.

Now a close-knit community is trying to cope with news of Bruhin's death.

The 6-foot-5, 315-pound former Powell football player and son of former University of Tennessee star John Bruhin died Friday.

Bruhin, 21, will be buried 11 a.m. Tuesday at Sharon Baptist Church Cemetery.

Family will receive friends 5:30-8 p.m. Monday at Black Oak Heights Baptist Church. A service will follow at 8.

Bruhin was an all-state lineman at Powell in 2004 and selected Marshall ahead of Vanderbilt and South Carolina.

He had returned to Knoxville this past summer after spending two frustrating years on the Marshall football team.

Persistent back problems and an off-the-field incident as a freshman plagued his time in Huntingdon, W.Va.

He didn't play in a game as a backup left guard as a redshirt freshman in 2006 and left the team last summer.

Bruhin's younger brother, John, was a freshman offensive lineman at Marshall this past season.

His father was an offensive lineman at Tennessee (1985-87) and played for the NFL's Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1988-91).

Pallbearers will be Lee Smith, Baron Huber, Jared McGaha, Brandon Evans, Shane Scott, Jared Payne and Daniel Evans.

In lieu of flowers, memorial donations can be made in Zane Bruhin's name at The Coummunity Bank of East Tennessee, Powell Branch in the Ingles Supermarket.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2008, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

BigVolinCarolina writes:

Wow...I'm shocked...I'll be praying for the Bruhin family...

texvol writes:

What happened? My family is also praying for his and his soul.

justin35us#209705 writes:

Incredibly tragic, very familiar with him over the years as a player and remember his Dad. In my prayers for sure. Is the cause not known?

utmdm writes:

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

volgrog#210164 writes:

Tragic. Hopefully all of the Vol Nation will be praying for the family.

mtnvol writes:

Parents shouldn't have to bury their children. Those of us who have know the pain the Bruhins are going through. My prayers are with the family.

Kwitcherbellyachin writes:

That's terrible. Does anyone know what happened?

pantherfan writes:

DroopyDrawers writes:

My prayers are with the Bruhin family. Stay strong!

Volker writes:

This news really puts what had previously been a great day for the Vol Nation in to perspective. As a younger vol fan, about to embark on the journey that is fatherhood (my wife is due on Aug 26), I didn't know his father as a player and I can not imagine his pain but my heart and prayers go out to the Bruhin family. One of our own mourns and we will all mourn with him.
My hope is that something good may come out of this situation. God Bless the Bruhin family and the Vol Nation.

justin35us#209705 writes:

MrBamSeydu writes:

justin35us#209705 writes:

My previous comment was removed so the info. I was responding to must have been incorrect or speculative. Apologies, didn't mean to speculate on anything, just expressing sadness for the family in a horrible time.

invisiblekid writes:

A game doesn't mean much when reading news like this, condolences to the Bruhin family.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

As a father, cannot imagine what this must be like. Lord, help these parents thru this.

justin35us#209705 writes:

TouchdownTn,
our posts were respectful, jst apparently misinformed. I just responded to what someone posted as the cause. I said it was sad. You don't know what you are talking about, we were expressing condolences. It was nothing other than that.

drewmom writes:

he committed suicide. not disrespectful to post that. hopefully people will become more aware and able to spot problems and get people the help they need. tragedies like this don't have to happen.

cdldoc#211897 writes:

qwerty69, I disagree. People should know about and be concerned about the epidemic of suicide in his age group. Maybe someday there will be a way to predict with some reliability who will act on their painful thoughts so we will know with more certainty who is susceptible.

Phil Fulmer, a highly moral man that some here disrespect daily, has been a leader and inspiration in the effort to do something about this problem that devastates parents and scars siblings. The Bruhin family will never be the same. But they may, after a while, tolerate this loss although they will feel it everyday forever.

etvolfan writes:

How sad. I remember all the times Reggie Cobb would run off of Big John's hip. John was a stud and I hate this for his family.

HighlanderVol writes:

a sad day may god be with the family

FLAVOLS writes:

May be peace be with you Bruhin Family.

MissUT writes:

My sympathy to the Bruhin family. God bless and comfort your family.

cdldoc, you are right about Phil Fulmer...He has been the National spokesperson for the Jason Foundation since 1998. He also sponsors a golf tournament to aid the foundation, whose focus is on the prevention of teen suicide.

bigcanesfan73 writes:

I remember watching Zane play football at powell.He was a real leader.My heart and prayers go out to the Bruhin family.May god bless you Bruhin Family.

OwensboroVol writes:

I read this earlier today and have thought and contemplated it during much of my free time. It leaves such an empty place in your heart for such a fine young person to leave us at such an early age. I pray that the family can find peace and understanding. I have spent a lifetime coming to the realization that there are some things that I will never understand. I hope the family will gain strength from the love and support that the Tennessee Family is offering. May God Bless and confort You.

shakerag writes:

Sometimes mental illness can run in a family. We will never know why he did what he did. Maybe he had brain damage. Regardless, I guess he is playing for God's team now.

wyomingvol writes:

Love with Your Family and You forever.

justin35us#209705 writes:

why was my comment removed? One would think I posted something disrespectful and I did nothing but say the same things in the last few posts. What's wrong KNS?

tkellyvols58 writes:

I couldn't even imagine if me and my wife lost my son or daughter at a young age. Furthermore, my prayer is that the entire Bruhin family will sustain faith and continue to trust GOD in their personal and business lives, even through times like this. May GOD keep blessing everyone.

pprbabyback writes:

We miss Zane so much. He was my neighbor when he was in high school and was pretty much my sisters best friend. He is an awesome guy. I hope he knows how much he is loved and I know he is watching over all of the people he cared about and loved! Zane's family is in my prayers and I hope to see them soon.Miss you Zane! =]]