Fulmer announces Parker's punishment

June 25 in-cruiser video

April 22 in-cruiser video

In-cruiser video from Anthony Parker's April 22, ...

Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer announced disciplinary action for junior All-SEC offensive lineman Anthony Parker, following Parker’s arrest Saturday on a disorderly conduct charge.

In a statement released Wednesday afternoon, Fulmer said that punishment for Parker will include, but is not limited to, morning runs, curfew, community service and participation in police ride-alongs.

“I have always taken special care to get all of the facts when we have an issue, and I appreciate everyone’s efforts to get to those facts,” Fulmer said. “I have watched Anthony Parker mature and grow as a young man, student and leader on our team over the years, and I am proud of his growth.

“However in this incident, I do not believe he respected the officer as he should have and unintentionally created a situation that could have been avoided.”

Knoxville Police Department Officer Sam Henard, off duty at the time, arrested Parker in the parking lot of a West Knoxville apartment complex.

According to police, Parker was yelling in the parking lot of the complex, where Henard also worked as a courtesy officer.

Henard told Parker to stop yelling and leave the area, however police said after Parker started to comply that he “stopped and started yelling again and walked away from officer Henard yelling again and waving his arms in the air.”

On Wednesday, the News Sentinel also obtained video from Knoxville police of two other incidents involving Parker and Henard, both of which occurred in 2006.

In the first, Parker is given a citation for noise disturbance for having his car sound system on too loud while driving on Andy Holt Boulevard on June 25, 2006. The second is a confrontation between Parker and Henard on White Avenue on April 22, 2006, in which no citations were given.

Following Parker’s arrest on Saturday, KPD received complaints from a handful of unnamed citizens, prompting a police supervisor to conduct a review of Parker’s arrest.

Police concluded that Henard acted properly in response to the incident.

Parker is the fourth player charged by police since two freshmen wide receivers were cited by police on Jan. 11 for simple possession of marijuana.

A freshman tailback was arrested Jan. 21 by UT police on a public intoxication charge after officers responded to a fight call at a university residence hall.

Parker’s punishment is similar to that received by the three players.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2008, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

CoverOrange writes:

Next on CBS, Judge Phil mediates a dispute over a barking dog.

TommyJack writes:

Put it to bed.

jclowers writes:

The police are going to have to buy more cars to handle all these ride-alongs.

bullfrog07 writes:

Stay The Course - stay the course. Work like heck and let's keep up our 4-loss per season run we're on. Go Vols!

DennisVols writes:

Troubles are not just at UT
JACKSON, Miss. -- A quarterback who was to sign with Mississippi on Feb. 6 has been kicked off the team because of an arrest for selling steroids.

Jared Foster, of Madison, who played last season for Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, was enrolled in classes at Ole Miss and was informally working out with the team. He was scheduled to formally join the team on National Signing Day and would have been able to practice this spring.

BigO1 writes:

Great to see the police arresting another football player. This time for yelling and waving his arms in the air. Wow, what a menace to society. Too bad they miss the criminals that shoot, rob, stab, and rape all of the students in Fort Sanders. If they catch them, it's not going to make big enough news. Good Work UTPD and KPD, keep trying to make headlines.

BigOrange1 writes:

Is a ride-a-long even punishment...sounds like fun to me..."Don't tase me bro".

GreerVol22 writes:

wait a minute....unintentionally created a situation that could have been avoided.”

no doubt in my mind it was definately intentional, otherwise the arrest never happens I would be back over on a recruiting story making comments.

hcjournals#206623 writes:

Bull and Boss:

Lighten up. How would you have handled it? Please become Gator fans and leave the negativity to those fine citizens. Oh yeah, if you think you are "helping" by putting in your 2 cents, Florida needs help with their running game. Go help them........

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Lets see. Ride-alongs will soon be popular as Vols passing each other will have to wave. Jeesh, like TJ said, put it to bed or give me a break. How PC is this. Facing a judge for AWAT.
Arm waving after twelve. 20 yrs in Leavenworth should be about right.

TDTN said it right,"what ya goona do when they come for you, bad boy-bad boys". Tackle or block someone we hope. Parker, you're forgiven.

bigbluevol writes:

Apparently these two guys have a history with each other. Someone posted a link about it on the other story related to this one. Parker and the cop obviously don't care for one another. I hope his ride along isn't with that guy.

bigbluevol writes:

Geoff - your point about education is a good one. They will get to see what the cops deal with, but they will also get to see what bad choices and drugs/alcohol abuse, etc can do to your life in the long run. I'm sure they'll encounter quite a few guys who have ruined their lives. Scare 'em straight technique.

Pullingguard writes:

Properly handled. Was blown out of the water by the posters last few day.. He committed no crime so Fulmer handled this as he should, with consequences and respect.

rabidvol1998 writes:

This punishment seems to fit the "crime". I still believe Jones and Paige should and will get a game or two suspension.

BigOrange1 writes:

tngeoff,

I was being sarcastic but good thoughts though. I could see where that could open up their eyes to what police officers face. I would want to play with the siren the whole time:)

Instead of the Vol Walk, we may see the Police Ride-A-Long Parade.

rabidvol1998 writes:

BigOrange - as a registerd bleading orange heart, orange colored glasses, Fulmer supporter, it pains me to play along with your humor, but I couldn't resist;

The VolWalk will be renamed PerpWalk!

GreerVol22 writes:

sjt, when a cop addresses you, and gives instruction, just do what the man says, stfu, and go home. I don't think he got arrested until he showed the other side of his arse.

cdonsbach writes:

Turn your damn stereo down, Anthony!

ONUV writes:

bring back some donuts for phil!

Tenn_Dawg writes:

This whole thing seemed much to do about nothing. A little running seems like it is plenty of punishment for this. I agree with some of the other posters that a ride along would be fun.

Archrockvol writes:

At least it happened now and not in sep.

jimr07 writes:

ONUV--i think people are really getting tired of the donut thing. be creative like being positive for a change.

GreerVol22 writes:

sjt, yep..many times their ego is not in check which leads to what probably happened. Hey! Todd Helton Jr just signed...

GoVol writes:

Make the entire team run, run, run and then when they're tired, run some more.
They should win, lose and get punished as a team...just like the military. It works!

tigervol9802 writes:

Question -

In these ride along programs, will they be subject to sit with police at the end of James White Parkway or the other spots in Knoxville where the cops sit and do nothing?

Or if on the late night shift, will they be allowed to bring their own DVDs when the cops go sit somewhere and watch movies all night?

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Wow, Dupree 4:03 p.m. Who is TDTN? Well, I imagine you 'll find out soon enuf. Lets just say he's a highly qualfied bona fide Volunteer. I'm not sure if he's kin to big Phil or not. We'll see. Soon.

TommyJack writes:

Geoff: And they will be frog-marched into the stadium.

Hacksaw57 writes:

BREAKING NEWS FLASH!!!
This Just In! - The ex-brother-in-law of the 4th cousin's sister of ESPN investigative reporter T. Farrey, the investigative reporter that broke the news of the improprieties in the tutoring of Tennessee athletes a few years back, reports that KNPD has turned over evidence to unnamed University officials that University of Tennessee football players have been running amuck all over K-town purchasing Pop-Rock Fizzle Candy. Reports are that the UT Athletic Department has launched an internal investigation to determine if sufficient evidence is warranted to make a formal request to the KNPD to suggest the local Coca-Cola Bottling Co. pull ALL inventory of Coke products from market shelves in and around campus so that UT athletes would not be able to drink a bottle of Coke with a mouth full of Pop Rock candy and possibly BLOW THEIR BRAINS OUT.
Campus Security would be called in for added backup at campus residences and dorms in case individuals became rowdy and went about waving and thrashing their arms in protest of the ban. Coach Phillip Fulmer, in an unprecedented move, announces that UT football players turn over all purchases by them from local vendors including the Pop-Rock Fizzle Candy in question along with Snickers, Milky Way, Hershey and Zero bars and also K-Krème doughnuts AND the hole as well will be confiscated. These confiscated items will be charted for possible forensic sampling. In a joint investigative effort, local KNPD investigative authorities and the University of Tennessee Athletic Department, have called in experts in the field of BS and it has been rumored that such experts in that field will include such names as TDTN, TommyJack, pdhuff, tngeoff and marc_ash to name a few.
More on this story as news is acquired.
p.s. – There is NO EVIDENCE to suggest that men’s basketball coach Bruce Pearl or Women’s basketball coach Pat Summitt’s or their staffs have had any part of the proposed improprieties, despite what has been rumored and circulated by the basketball program authorities at LSU or UCONN.

innocuous_infidel writes:

There seems to be something personal between Parker and the officer. Read the following info from an article on WBIR.com -

"Before Saturday, Parker had three citations on his record. Two came from Officer Sam Henard, who once patrolled the area surrounding the UT campus and was the first officer involved in Saturday's arrest. The third citation was issued by Officer Kinder with the UT Police Department.

Dashboard camera video from Henard's patrol car on two incidents in 2006 shows tension between Parker and Henard.

(Video) Officer Henard: How ya doin'? My name's Officer Henard with KPD. Remember the last time I saw you? On Laurel? I gave you a warning about playing your stereo like that?

On April 22, 2006, Officer Henard stopped Parker for playing his stereo too loud. A man who identifies himself as a member of the coaching staff arrives and asks what's going on. Eventually Henard gives Parker a citation for violating noise ordinances and driving without a license.

(Video) Officer Henard: Everybody that works on this campus?all the officers know this car and know that you keep doing it. And we're going to keep writing you tickets for it. The simplest thing is stop doing it, or take it out of your car.

Parker: So basically, y'all are just looking at me.

Officer Henard: No, there's 20,000 people on this campus. I'm looking at everybody. But I gave you a warning, and I know other officers have given you warnings, and you're still doing it. That's what these are for. To make you stop doing it.

Video from June of 2006 shows a third incident between the two. The dashcam shows two men walking towards the street when the cruiser stops, because the officer believed Parker shouted an insult at him.

(Video) Officer Henard: To you and to me and you're waving a stick, you're lucky, you're lucky you're not hurting.

Parker: You know who I am, what would I do to jeopardize my career?

Officer Henard: Both times, both times that I've stopped you, you've given me nothing but trouble. Ok, you've called people to the scene everytime

Parker: To make sure I, to make sure that I'm (inaudible) Why would I call people to the scene?

Officer Henard: Because you've got a problem

Parker: I called Gerald. He's Coach Fulmer's assistant.

Parker did not get a citation for the June 2006 incident."

It's not clear to me if Henard is still a U-T cop or not, but doesn't it seem a little odd that these two guys would keep on running into each other? Is Parker following Henard around, or is it the other way around?

I'm wondering if Parker's vehicle may have a burnt-out license plate light. Good old U-T police, they're on top of it. They are a total joke - robbery after robbery taking place in Fort Sanders, and they're busting guys for playing stereos to loud. Should this really be a priority on a college campus that appears to be awash in felony crime?

TommyJack writes:

TD: Don't hear much from 7 ways anymore. And you plumb ran off ole AllVolinArkiesaw.

gohawks1 writes:

Heh, heh, heh. Dupree, meet TDTN.

TommyJack writes:

IP: Exactly

gohawks1 writes:

TJ, I saw that one coming from a mile away.

tngeoff - Thanks for the link. I laughed until I had tears in my eyes.

Hacksaw57 writes:

MORE BREAKING NEWS!!!!
The NCAA Clearing House is proposing an internal investigation into the possible improprieties at the University of Tennessee involving the unfair acquisitions of chemical substance abused items by the University of Tennessee football coaching staff.
Reports are that upon the confiscation of an undetermined amount of sugary substance by unnamed staff within the football program, there was an emergency response to the Neyland-Thompson Sports Center, purportedly near the staff office of Head football coach Phillip Fulmer, where the response team administered medical assistance for hyperglycemia due to the overindulgence of chocolate and/or a high level of dextrose/sucrose overdose.
As the response team entered the premises, reports were that entry attempts were hindered by an abundance of candy wrappers stuffed into a multitude of Krispy Kreme doughnut boxes.
No more information on the victim or victims and their condition was obtainable as UT Campus Security cordoned off the immediate area due to the emergent gathering of a crowd thrashing and waving their arms in an abusive manner.
More News As It Become Available---
p.s. - There were unconfirmed reports coming from LSU and UCONN web sites that the investigation may spill over to the men’s and women's basketball programs at UT. "NO COMMENT”, were the statements issued from the respective programs but there was a hint of possible dropping of future scheduled games of unnamed opponents if rumors persist.

thesavageorange writes:

Some folks just are not ready for ole TouchdownTN.

cjraney writes:

Some folks are just not ready for anonymous strangers to be a$$holes just because they know how to use the "internets."

gohawks1 writes:

Agreed, savageorange. Initial contact with TDTN can be a bit overwhelming for the faint of heart. After one such exchange, one blogger reported having blackouts. He was quoted as saying, "I didn't know what hit me. My head started swimmin', and then I noticed all these little orange spots on my keyboard. I'll be danged, but I think some of my freckles fell right off my face."

cjraney writes:

What's that you say?

cjraney writes:

I do love a good tailgate.

cjraney writes:

TDmountainman-

That's real nice of you to offer but since its your hoedown I think you get to set all the details. And I like to get rowdy too, but only with the ladies, just so we're clear.

Anyway, just let me know if you're providing the whiskey or I need to bring my own....but I can only drink Dickel or Jack on gamedays. Hope you understand.

vol_in_lsu_land writes:

I'm pissed!

I have yet to read the artice on here that tells us what kind of shoes Parker was wearing the night of the incident. Also, I would expect that we all be informed as to how he took his eggs at morning breakfast on the day in question.

I demand that the KNS hire some real journalists with a true understanding of their readership. We need more in-depth analysis of the details! Spread into as many chapters as possible to keep our attention spans in check! You know we all have adult ADHD!

pdhuff#552644 writes:

I rest my case about the doldrums.

VolsorCat writes:

This is a joke! Yelling in an apartment complex and disrespecting a rent a cop, who also doubles as a real cop (with real rent a cop attitude). Give me a f**king break. You all are busting all these kids for minor infractions that happen on every college campus daily. I don't condon the pot heads and think those idiots deserve the morning runs every day for a month, but the rest of this stuff is really minor. The big difference is that the KNS is out to prove a point and don't care how insignificant an issue might be. The push out a hit piece and watch all the naysayers give their 2 cents.

On a separate note: Has anyone seen that $99 pimp suit that Bob Huggins has on tonight? Sweet look!

pdhuff#552644 writes:

tngeoff-one of the few constants in one's life is a fritter. Like a good Lab, they will never let you down. I bet they could lure DTs into range. Tell Phil.

VolsorCat writes:

tngeoff; very good. I am signing off on that positive note.

BigOrangeInCarolina writes:

Just got through watching the video, and this officer is a douche-bag. He was probably a nerd in school, always the last to get picked for anything, never made it in athletics, likes younger women who are badge-bunnies. He has nothing better to do than drive around looking for the white car with the big black man inside, because he's a UT football player with a sound system. The officer's radio was up. How could he hear Parker's radio? He saw Parker's car, gassed on it to catch up to him, then incriminated himself by saying that he and other officers knew the car and knew it had a sound system, and that they were going to continue to cite Parker. Sure, I believe student-athletes should be held to the same standard as everybody else, but that was a ridiculous traffic stop. It borders on profiling. Sounds to me like the officer is antagonizing Parker a little bit. I've seen his kind-he's gonna get his a$$ beat by somebody if he doesn't lose the Barney Fife attitude. Why doesn't he suit up and go one-on-one with AP on the turf at Neyland? I'd pay to watch that before I'd pay $43 for the spring game...

anthony writes:

Hey guys, would you have settled on a 4 loss season if our quarterback could have won the Heisman??? As far as punishment goes, we all have to learn to play by the rules, and with courtesy, manners, charm, and grace. Unfortunely a whole lot of society , our lawyers, and teachers, and sometimes even our venerated lawmakers send out different signals of behavior. Of course we are responsible for our own behavior, but why should i put a stumbling blick in front of my neighbors.

Couchdummy writes:

tngeoff--What is funny about Perpwalk? (I Kept re-reading). If that is funny, Wow! There are some good books you might really get a knee slapping kick from!

rabidvol1998 writes:

5001,5002,5003

I'll define 5010 as "if you don't want Fulmer, who do you want and can we get him and what has he done to prove he could do this job better than Fulmer?"

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

nah, see, he's an o-lineman. He should have to do something like pick up and bench press 60 vw beetles per day, or change semi tires by hand....something useful.