Doctors give Crompton OK to resume all drills

Tennessee quarterback Jonathan Crompton has been released by doctors to resume all football-related activities following surgery on his right elbow in April.

The right-handed-throwing Crompton was released by Dr. Richard Jones of Southeastern Sports Medicine last week as scheduled, just in time for summer workouts. Crompton took part in voluntary drills early this week, including a seven-on-seven passing session Monday.

The procedure to remove two or three loose particles from the elbow was not deemed mandatory, although postponing the procedure could have resulted in more pain during the season or caused the joint to lock up in the future. Crompton endured persistent soreness throughout spring practice.

Crompton, the heir apparent to 2007 starter Erik Ainge, threw for 266 yards, three touchdowns and an interception in April's Orange and White Game.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2008, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Bigger_Al writes:

GreerVol22 writes:

IF he can remember that he's no Tebow, we'll be fine.

dvols writes:

i'd like to see him throw one to lucas taylor

ctownvol writes:

He'll be fine fellas. Contrary to what you may hear and what you WILL read here. Don't worry. Be happy. RTYAB!!!!

ThaiVolFan writes:

I'd like to see him light up the Bruin D on national television with his arm and his feet. Thus announcing to the world of college football, "Rocky Top Is On The Rise!"

spencer1989#206886 writes:

LMAO.....I like all theses posts!!!!

andy112382#209793 writes:

KingsportVol - lovely mental picture there, thanks a lot! and I just ate.....

Hmm, first throw.....how about that same play that opened the O&W game? I'd take it! Though, i do like the Lucas Taylor idea, seems like people are kind of forgetting about him despite his great success last season, but heck, let'em! Better when all of the attention isn't on someone who can be a game changer!

ThaiVolFan writes:

Hey guys. Just wondering what other Big games there are on the Florida - Tennessee date. Do you guys think we might land a Gameday in Knoxville for the Florida game? With a strong showing in Pasadena and decent preseason ranking, I think we have a shot, depending on who else is playing that weekend. What do you guys think?

WorkinLikeHeck writes:

who?

pkaplan writes:

LSU vs. Auburn on same day as UT-Florida. There has been talk of CBS doubleheader with UT-Florida at night. With CBS doing game, it's doubtful there will be an ESPN gameday.

cwisenhower#637741 writes:

I'd like for his ego to kick the rears of all 12 of our opponents, and not kick his own rear. Oh, and I'd like to see him light up the secondaries all over the SEC. I think this kid is special.

tnfanincali writes:

think people in tennessee won't vote 4 obama because of the last 4 letters of his name? anybody going to the UCLA game?

wyomingvol writes:

Hmmm,

Crompton looks alot like Ainge on the headline photo....

It is Ainge, I seldom make note, but that is pretty dern lax.

12:43 am Mountain Time.

wyomingvol writes:

Ainge Slingin' it against the 'Rajun Cajun's'.

No wonder Kesling gets so confused.

Hehe.

wyomingvol writes:

I just saved the headline and pic.

Go Cromptdaddy!

wyomingvol writes:

I just saved the headline and pic.

Go Cromptdaddy!

GreerVol22 writes:

poo poo humor is never a bad thing....

jdcvols#230433 writes:

DuPree Sighting. Dupree has a step daughter that just graduated from UT in Nursing. I was told she did have 4 fingers and 1 thumb on each hand. She handed out fitters at her graduation party.

ThurmondEppy writes:

I'd like to see Crompton side arm it to the spotted ape

ThurmondEppy writes:

KNS....snoozing again. A picture of Ainge in a story about Crompton. I guffawed out loud at that one.

Greyback_Vol writes:

Thurmond...The spotted ape has left the building. As long as Crompton is throwing something other than wide receiver screens and 5 yard outs we'll be OK.

waterskier3#226480 writes:

I would just like to see us complete a 3 and 2 against someone other than our own defense :):) running or throwing..

thank god ainge is gone so we don't have to hear he's related to danny ainge :) second thought maybe ainge should have played BB

vol_in_lsu_land writes:

Good grief KNS. I'm utterly amazed. You couldn't find a picture of Crompton?

Bass_Vol_1998 writes:

I'm glad Crompton's back in time to start perfecting his timing with our WR's on the deep ball. The bomb is what we have been missing ever since Rick Clausen would throw a 30 yard rainbow. A few completions will open up the run... and I like the way most people forget that Lucas Taylor had 1000 rec yards. Also I think Gerald Jones will have a breakout year this season.

ncvol writes:

Good news concerning Compton. Go Vols...

SeanJean writes:

I will add fuel on the fire of the headline photo. Come on, that is clearly Ainge. Does no one see that before posting the story?

wyomingvol writes:

Funny Kingsportvol. Dupree was in the stands that day against the Rajun's, he gave me a pull off his flask and I have had this wierd burning sensation in 'xtrmities' ever since.

Way to sneak in a Ricky Shroder Clausen comment Bass Vol.

I am amped for football season and ready to see Cromptdaddy sling it! Just stay healthy.

dlobh writes:

That is definitely Crompton.

wyomingvol writes:

Yeah dlobh,

You are coming in a little late.

Not likely the 30 eyes before You were wrong.

KNS just changed the pic within the hour.

Like I said, it was so bad and par for KNS I saved the headline with picture.

WorkinLikeHeck writes:

and to think geeks like CollierVol want to actually pay for this site.

finn writes:

Good stuff today, KingsportVol. I damn near choked on my lunch while laughing at the twins. Nice work. sjt18, can your politcal whining. This isn't the place for it.

Tenn_Dawg writes:

Crompton is a very solid QB. He and your Vols are being underrated this year IMHO by the pundits. If the new DL guys are an improvement over last years guys and they stay healthy then UT will be tough to beat. The secondary looks to be scary good with Morely and Berry. Of course without DL pressure you could have three Neon Deions back there and still get shredded. The O should be fine with the returning OL, RBs and WRs.

rockytop47 writes:

I will be at the UCLA game. I live in Seattle and will fly down for game.

jonfan writes:

LETS GO JON LETS SHOW THEM WHAT U HAVE. YOUR MOUNTAINEER FANS.

beachvol1 writes:

Give Jonathan a chance...all he needs is some playing time.....at least he does have some mobility if needed....

movol77 writes:

I believe you've already broken wind four times in this thread.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

TT 7:30pm- 7-5 was my pick a month ago. Sticking with it.

Think we might run a few statue of libertys as part of our new look.

TommyJack writes:

Kingsport: Weren't your goat..twas the chick from the Cable Co.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

In my 7-5 pick, the two games that are hard to figure for me are Aubie and UCLA.

I have respect for Chow as a college offensive mind, totally lost with Young in N-ville. Aubie is hard to figure, but game vs W Va should clear up any doubts, one way or the other.

My impeccable credentials include several very ugly I Beat JA shirts.

As for Cut, that's over. Pearl has made us the Dook of the Smokies.

volboy81#211803 writes:

I wouldnt vote for Obama if the last 4 letters in his last name were VOLS! I'll be in LA with orange on!

finn writes:

SJT18, I have typically blown through your posts in the past since they always seemed a little winded and pompous but now I have further motivation. Rant at will about whatever you'd like and I will simply not read it. BTW, the monitors will probably have no issue with your posts because they contain no personal contact info nor threaten physical harm but that is not vindication to pursue threads on topics not germain to the site.

vol_in_lsu_land writes:

I am not sure I understand why finn is so offended by sjt's comments. This is a discussion forum where free speech is permitted as long as threats of violence and vulgarity are held in check. Sjt made an off-the-cuff political remark because Obama's name was mentioned, expressing his personal views. Ironic that sjt's reasoning stated that Obama is anti-personal liberty and an obvious supporter thinks he should be censored for expressing it.

Just my 2 cents

TommyJack writes:

What finn said.

invisiblekid writes:

"The bomb is what we have been missing ever since Rick Clausen would throw a 30 yard rainbow."

No offense Bass_Vol, but I think you're being kind at 30 yards.

Agree on Taylor and Jones.

invisiblekid writes:

Funny thing IMO, when you go to Obama's website, the first thing you see is a pop up asking for a donation to the campaign. A politician asking for money, tell me how that is a change to believe in.

Bass_Vol_1998 writes:

none taken. point is that Crompton was touted for having a great deep ball- and that is something that we have been missing for a while.

Bass_Vol_1998 writes:

But some props to Rick Clausen for lip reading Cal's signals in 2006 from the booth. He stole their signal for man to man coverage, and we scored 3 straight in the 3rd quarter for the blowout.

invisiblekid writes:

Agreed again on Crompton, that first pass in the O&W game was certainly more than 30 yards.

Hard for me to give props to Clausen given his attitude though. LSU was great and all but, to paraphrase: "if the fans don't like it they don't have to come" just didn't sit well with me.

Orangebleeder47 writes:

I can't wait to see Crompton shine. As the games go on he'll just get better and better. If we win our first 4 games, we will be well in the top ten, probably the top five...I mean come on...Norm Chow with UCLA, UAB, who is never really a pushover team, Florida who is predicted NC's, and Auburn who is always one of the toughest in the nation. If we win all of those, people around the country will turn their undivided attention towards Tennessee...GO VOLS!!!