Recruiting haul from UT camp grows to five

Cornerback/safety Oliver, linemen Phillips, Schofield pick Vols

Tennessee would have had a successful recruiting weekend had its football camp ended on Friday. But Saturday’s final day of camp produced three more commitments, giving UT five players in three days.

Aubrey Phillips, a 6-foot-6, 310-pound lineman from Olive Branch (Miss.) High School, and Nyshier Oliver, a 5-11, 185 pound athlete from St. Peter’s Prep in New Jersey City, N.J., were the first to make their pledge on Saturday. JerQuari Schofield, a 6-6, 298-pound offensive lineman from South Aiken High in Aiken, S.C., became No. 3 later that evening.

The latest trio joins highly touted tailback Jarvis Giles from Gaither High in Tampa, Fla., and Rhea County lineman Kevin Revis as UT’s newest set of commitments. The sudden influx gives UT nine commitments for the 2009 class.

Phillips chose UT over Florida State, Duke, Penn State, Arkansas and Alabama. Phillips attended Booker T. Washington in Memphis until last year before moving to Olive Branch.

“It’s stress free now,” Phillips said of his UT commitment. “It feels good.”

Oliver chose UT over Michigan, Ohio State, Boston College, Georgia, Alabama, Virginia and North Carolina.

“I’m confident in my decision,” he said. “It was a great decision. I just let everything sit in my mind and marinate, to see if this is the place I wanted to be. I let it sit in my mind for a month, then I made a decision.”

Schofield chose UT over offers from Gardner Webb and Charleston Southern.

“I felt like it was one of the best decisions I ever made,” Schofield said.

While Phillips and Oliver came to UT with a scholarship offer, Schofield’s came on Thursday, the first day of the junior camp.

“All I really did was hustle, work hard and just pay attention,” Schofield said.

After two days of contemplation, Schofield informed UT coaches of his decision.

Phillips and Oliver certainly have some versatility in their game. Oliver said he’d like his first shot to be at cornerback, but could also play safety. Phillips could play defensive or offensive tackle.

“I really don’t care,” Phillips said. “I just want to play on Saturday.”

Said Oliver, “It really doesn’t matter, but I’m projected as a corner down here.”

All of Saturday’s commitments cited UT’s coaches as reasons why they decided this weekend.

“Great area. Great people. I love Coach (Phillip) Fulmer and (offensive line) coach (Greg) Adkins,” Schofield said.

Oliver was also impressed with Fulmer — and secondary coach Larry Slade.

“We mesh well,” he said. “They remind me of my high school coaches.”

Phillips had grown to know UT’s offensive coaching staff last fall. When three members of that group left for Duke and receivers coach Trooper Taylor was hired by Oklahoma State, Phillips wasn’t sure what to expect out of the replacements.

“I thought they wouldn’t even know me when I came in, but they knew me already,” Phillips said. “That was good to see.

“… I can get along with all the coaching staff. They’re friendly. The other coaches (at other schools), they don’t really pay attention to me. The coaches at Tennessee are very down to earth.”

At 6-6, Phillips was one of the most imposing figures on UT’s campus this week.

“I’m fast for my size but I’m not as strong as I should be,” Phillips said. “The first three years (in high school), they didn’t have a weight program. With a weight program, I should get stronger.”

UT is known as a school that closes strong in recruiting, picking up commitments in the fall and winter. That certainly wasn’t the case this week.

“I think it’s a good vibe,” Oliver said. “We don’t know each other personally yet, but we just mesh well here.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2008, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

stlvol writes:

Wow! Seems like our coaches are workin' like heck! Keep up the good work fellas!

andy112382#209793 writes:

Phillips could play DL or OL, that is great! Good job, lets keep it up!!!

DennisVols writes:

Cutcliff found 22 fans in Knoxville to buy season tickets and UT got one of Dukes highly sought after recruits to sign to play football here.
Guess who came out on top.
Maybe he can teach a fan how to become a top rated player.
Go Vols!!!!!

dburgVol writes:

Great news! These coaches are working overtime. Phil really did a good job of choosing them.

Anybody know how many scholarships we have to give?

FWBVol writes:

The best part other than these guys being Vols is they snubbed the Crimson Bribe.

philfan writes:

This really is great news. Never count out the Tennessee Volunteers. If we could win the SEC East last year, we can win the SEC outright this year.

LanceR24 writes:

make it five we have another OL commitment, JerQuari Schofield 6-6 and 298 pounds

cjraney writes:

Keep workin like heck Vol recruiters. Good week but we need to keep 'em coming. For reference:

bobo_the_vol writes:

I can't think that it's a coincidence that Cutcliffe came, our recruiting plummeted, he left, it soars. Hurm . . .

volaboard writes:

Schofield chose UT over Gardner Webb, Charleston Southern and Miss Mary's Kindergarten. What a catch. Is this good news?

ncvol writes:

bobo - Don't think it had anything to do with Cutliffe, but I'm sure happy we have these new recruits. Go Vols and welcome to Good Ole Rocky Top...Rocky Top Tennessee!

LanceR24 writes:

just saying we got one more, but at 6-6 300 he could make a good one. also he picked us over alabama, florida, clemson, south carolina, and wake......but we were the first and only to offer lol.

THANKYOU4GETTINGRIDOFTHENOTSOSLIMONE writes:

How are they working like heck? It was a camp in Knoxville and they offerred some of the players a scholorship. Where is all of this 'hard" work you guys speak of?

VolPride_13 writes:

I am ecstatic right now!!
Five in three and three in one!!!

dford9#209809 writes:

Absolutely great news for our UT coaching staff.
I hope these new additions work out really well,
over the next few years.

FWBVol writes:

pleasegitridof, get a clue as to how the process is working these days.

With head coaches unable to go on the road during the spring evaluation period (thanks to the new Saban Rule), the first time a lot of head coaches get a first hand look at the prospects is at these camps. Many schools are offering during these camps.

Maybe you don't think it's hard work, but they are trying to sell a program just as much on campus as they are on the road starting with getting kids from out of state to come to the UT camp.

We don't get lineman and people complain. And now we get three commitments from linemen in a couple of days and you question how hard the coaches worked to get them.

bobbarbilly writes:

Saw a kid in the ice cream shop the other day. His mom had just bought him a large peanut butter shake and he was throwing a ring-eyed fit because she would not unwrap the paper from his straw.
I thought " yep, there grows a future, unpleasable poster for the webb page".

nicksjuzunk#646117 writes:

bobbarbilly,

Was this kid above or below the age of 35?

VOLS85 writes:

FWB,

Don't dignify that disgruntled gentleman with a response, for if we hung the moon, it would have been a quarter of an inch too far to the left...

Let him hate his life, and we will enjoy the fact that there is life outside of football (but our life inside can be a lot of fun too!).

Go Vols!

Thanks be to our coaches for working hard early, and lets take the East again, and the SECCG this year!

bobbarbilly writes:

Nick, he looked like he was big enough to carry two buckets of water and wear his daddy's shoes.

givehim6 writes:

This is good to hear. I like what Daddyvol said, the gates open! I do not think we have any more camps this year. do we? GOVOLS!

alfrizzle097 writes:

Cutcliffe came back after the 5-6 season. Did anybody really expect great results? The second year was much better. The class that is coming in this season was none too hot because of coaching turnover. Would it have been fair to accuse Clauson and the other new coaches of being poor recruiters?

And remember, Cutcliffe was partially responsible for the recruiting success in the '90s.

alfrizzle097 writes:

redstickvol writes:

Ladies and Gentlemen,
It is time for action. Merely complaining about the negative posters only makes them want to post more. We must do something and I have two suggestions.

A long time ago, when I was but a boy, my mother told me that if someone is doing something that you don't like, ignore them and it will go away. Amazingly, it works. I think we could apply this edict to some of the posters on this website. The reason that they continue to post negativity is because they know that it bothers those of us who support the Vols no matter what. If these posts are ignored (i.e. not dignified with any type of response what so ever), I believe they will eventually stop. This will take a concerted effort on everyone's part, because one response makes it worth it to these "gentlemen" to continue to post negativity.

The second suggestion is to simply "suggest removal" of any and all comments that are negative just to be negative. Now, I do believe there is a place for objective facts be they positive or negative. However, complaining about how hard the coaches work when we get three linemen in two days and five recruits overall, is just silly.

Now I realize that this post in itself is a little hypocritical in that I am suggesting we ignore the negativity and I myself am smacking it in the face. However, I think this is the first step in ridding this site of these posters and in turn, possibly helping with the recruiting battle. (We all know that recruits read this site and that they are sometimes discouraged by all the negativity. Ipso facto, if there isn't as much negativity, they won't be as discouraged.)

Just my two cents and by the way, I have already suggested removal of the aforementioned post.

T0MMYJACK writes:

well said baton rouge ... er, red stick!

tigervol9802 writes:

Well........

Not a bad weekend. Now let's get some D-linemen.....please?

We offer a scholarship to a guy from South Carolina who chose us over Gardner-Webb and Charleston Southern, yet we DON'T offer one to a local guy (Jackson from Farragut), one who says he WANTS to play here, who is being recruited by some REAL football schools!?!? I'm generally pleased by the apparent recruiting prowess of the new staff in particular, but I'm still scratching my head over the Jackson situation.

THANKYOU4GETTINGRIDOFTHENOTSOSLIMONE writes:

I am so looking forward to change in attitudes of the poster 3 weeks into the season. It happens like this all of the time.

1. Excited about new year.
2. Lose 2-3 games early and everyone goes ape S%&t.
3. Win some games against Vandy, UK, and Miss. St. and everyone gets their hopes up again.
4. Win or lose a meaningless bowl game.
5. End season and talk about how great UT will be next year.

Save your time and just give up on them now like I did. I am sorry but I am not a "TRUE" Vol fan like all of you. But once again check the posters after week 3 and see the difference.

THANKYOU4GETTINGRIDOFTHENOTSOSLIMONE writes:

1. Excited about new year.
2. Lose 2-3 games early and everyone goes ape S%&t.
4. Win or lose a meaningless bowl game.
5. End season and talk about how great UT will be next year.

THANKYOU4GETTINGRIDOFTHENOTSOSLIMONE writes:

1. Excited about new year.
2. Lose 2-3 games early and everyone goes ape S%&t.
4. Win or lose a meaningless bowl game.
5. End season and talk about how great UT will be next year.

WorkinLikeHeck writes:

let me know when we get out of September undefeated.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Congrats to all these stalwart lads. Hope you keep your word and become a Vol.

Workin-11:08 - about September, dang. Too many times we sail in like the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Those of you who still have their dad, go to see him or call.

PaulTheVol writes:

I have wondered when the defense will start showing more of a 3-4 look, especially since it's all about speed and edge rushes in college football these days. Schofield would make a great DT in a 3-4 and that would allow us to show a 3-4 with an edge LB or a 3-3 with a walkup safety.

agentorange writes:

you negative guys are the MOST MISERABLE LOSERS. I am willing to wager most are not alumni and kick $h*t for a living.

TommyJack writes:

Herr RedStick: Nice take on freedom of speech.

murrayvol writes:

redstick: Seems to me you're giving out fellow posters way too much credit for a recruit's decision to accept or decline. The danger in stroking such enormous egos is palpable. Heaven only knows what might transpire.

Perhaps KNS could run one of their patented polls to determine where recruits stand on this important issue. How about it Herr Kaplan?

murrayvol writes:

Excuse me. "our" fellow posters

pdhuff#552644 writes:

TJ, not many posters from the Gulag. Toe the company line strictly.

raynochonspeed#212632 writes:

redstickvol: "The second suggestion is to simply "suggest removal" of any and all comments that are negative just to be negative."

Redstick, this is the most offensive post I've ever read on this board. Grow up. Your idea of censorship is practically Communist.

Part of being an adult in a free society is learning how to deal with things you might not like. The negative posters have just as much right to rant on here as you have to espouse your ignorant OneMind "feel-good" notions.

Incidentally, the best way to get the negative posters to stop: win.

philfan writes:

ComplaininLikeHeck said: let me know when we get out of September undefeated.

If you were any kind of fan, you would try to watch all three games, either on television or in person at the stadium, and find out for yourself if we finish 3-0, 0-3, 2-1, or 1-2. I have better things to do than keep a third rate , lazy fan informed of our progress.

invisiblekid writes:

To use the old baseball anolgies, I don't know that we have hit any homeruns as of yet but have at least a couple of triples in Giles and Stokes. Regardless, this seems to be a very solid start to recruiting.

DCFlorida, got to disagree with the comment regarding FL not giving any offers to our recruits. Not sure about anyone else, but Meyer seemed pretty interested in Giles:
Posted by invisiblekid on June 13, 2008 at 2:18 p.m. (Suggest removal)

99Gator, Meyer offered him a scholarship.

invisiblekid writes:

BTW, it took awhile, but I just went back and suggested removal on all 2000+ respective posts by TommyJack and PDHuff to help in the "NO NEGATIVITY" campaign. Kiddin' fellas.

GreerVol22 writes:

these days, the only difference between a #1 lineman prospect and a #50 is 1 inch and 10 lbs. The rest is up to the coach.

Volzo writes:

If we could just get some 300 pounders to stuff the middle that would be nice. I know it is difficult to find big defensive tackles that are not only big but quick. But, it makes a huge difference with the defense to have a couple of guys in the middle that do not get pushed around. If you have this then you give guys at the other positions an opportunity to take some chances. In the last five years TN just has not had the guys up front to effectively put pressure on the QB and have gap control at the same time. When you find yourself only getting to the QB by blitzing, it is only a matter of time until you face a team that will make you pay.

TommyJack writes:

PD: Siegheil

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Ikid, I just gave Airforceone and Posivol your unlisted number. And twentyoneways or whatever.....

DennisVols writes:

ESPN on Giles
ESPN's Billy Tucker elaborated on the pledge, "The Volunteers may have landed one of the more underrated backs in the country in the eyes of the Scouts Inc. staff. Sounds like he wanted to get out of the Sunshine State, but we are surprised one of thes big three in-state schools didn't put the clamps on him; Giles is a special back."
"Giles' burst and explosion through the hole may be the best in this great running back class, and his overall suddenness through traffic is just as rare. His ability to reach top-speed quickly allows him to hit the seams just as they open and quickly shred through opposing defenses and into the second level. Will need to add some bulk to carry the load at Tennessee but that might not be his role."
"Giles joins fellow ESPN 150 Watch List running back Dominique Allen (Paris, Tenn./Henry County) in Tennessee's 2009 class, and the two could develop into a "Thunder and Lightning" type package in Knoxville during their careers. Giles has homerun potential on any given carry and Allen has fullback size and power with tailback feet to wear down a defense."
"Giles and Allen will be learning a new offensive under recently hired coordinator Dave Clawson for the Vol's."

LongtimeVol writes:

ahem, say there philfan, we have 4 games in September. I sure hope the one your a fan of has the team show up for all 4 instead of just 3. That would be a change I would cheer.

LongtimeVol writes:

and by the way, I will be at all 4 games in Sept hoping that we have turned a corner on the past 7-8 years.