Dutch treat: Bradshaw ready for Rocky Top action

Upon tip-off of the Pilot Rocky Top League on Monday evening, there will be a familiar face running the floor at Bearden High School — although you might not recognize him.

He won’t be wincing at the free throw line nor camped out in Tennessee’s training room receiving treatment for one of the myriad of ailments he suffered during his UT career.

No, Dane Bradshaw actually figures to be completely healthy — almost. While there is some lingering swelling from a nagging ankle injury, Bradshaw says he’s close to 100-percent.

Since playing basketball in The Netherlands, Bradshaw returned to Knoxville instead of his hometown, Memphis, in order to workout with current UT players.

“I knew I was going to be here for the summer,” Bradshaw said on The News Sentinel’s radio show, The Sports Page. “If I’m in Memphis, I’ll be on the couch too long with my mom feeding me.”

Spurning home-cooked meals, Bradshaw is one of many former Vols that will participate in the Pilot Rocky Top League, perhaps the greatest example of a town gone crazy for Bruce Pearl basketball. Damon Johnson and Ron Slay are two of the names UT fans should remember.

“In years past, I think players didn’t necessarily want to come back because there was nothing to come back to and nothing to take pride in,” Bradshaw said. “This Rocky Top League is a prime example of guys wanting to stay involved.”

For some fans, the older guys will be old news. Many will fill the stands and forgo the comfort of modern day air conditioning to see UT’s future, such as guard Scotty Hopson, center Phillip Jurick, point guards Bobby Maze and Daniel West and forward Renaldo Woolridge.

All are signed with UT and will be on the roster this fall. It will be interesting to see how those prospects handle the fun-and-gun atmosphere of the Rocky Top League. Likewise, how will the public grade one of UT’s top classes in school history?

“I don’t want people to start overanalyzing all the talent just yet,” Bradshaw warned. “Just use it for excitement and to get a taste of the talent.”

Some of that talent could be tired on Monday, particularly Hopson, who played in the Kentucky-Indiana all-star games in Indianapolis on Friday and Sunday.

Don’t expect a fatigued (or injured) Bradshaw. He’ll be fresh and ready to lead Toyota of Knoxville, the defending league champs, along with UT forward Wayne Chism and former Vol swingman Rashard Lee.

But don’t expect to see the same ol’ Bradshaw. First, he’s healthy. Second, the consummate team player is determined to work on his one-on-one skills this summer.

“Sometimes I’ve been generous to a fault,” Bradshaw said. “The Rocky Top League is a perfect game to be selfish in.”

ncvol writes:

I would love to be there to see Dane and the others play. Best of luck to the league and the former vols.Go Vols!

TooLegit2Quit writes:

Can't wait to see some Rocky Top League action tomorrow. Although I wish they would've moved it to TBA or Karns High School(Air conditioned gym). Why Bearden? GO VOLS!!

Caspian writes:

I wonder how Bradshaw will look? Anybody know if he's still injured or fatigued or anything? The article is strangely silent on that. </s>

andefromtn#212139 writes:

Why not Thompson-Boling? Let the new kids play on the backboards they'll use in the fall. That said, I am sure there is NCAA rule that forces them off campus but there are better locations than Bearden. It would actually be nice to see the league play a game in several different locations so that people from all over town has a chance to see them play.

andefromtn#212139 writes:

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

b_neas writes:

They play in a non-airconditioned gym so we can seperate the "real" UT fans from the pretenders! It takes a real fan to go watch a basic pick up type game in sweltering heat. lol

VOLS85 writes:

nafslov,

do you enjoy being completely ignorant or are you still looking for your own grasp on reality?

b_neas writes:

nafslov - you obviously are not a true UT fan. A real fan would watch Dane simply out of respect him him and his character and for what he has done to help the program jump leaps and bounds from where it was when he was a frosh.

POTSVol (Inactive) writes:

If I'm not mistaken, and I've looked and can't find another one, Bradshaw's the only basketball player with a scholarship named in honor of him. Yeah, that's a real loser if I've ever seen one...(rolls eyes)

AllLadyVol writes:

I like to see great players no matter what kind of uniform they wear, be it an NBA jersey, a European uniform or a RTL t-shirt.

I've never been to a RTL game but I would love to see the former Vols again and I know it's going to be great. My gosh, Dane Bradshaw at 60 percent was enough of a show. 100? Wow.

FishTacos writes:

Geno may have been going to the Womens Bball Hall of Fame. But he also could have been going over to Pat Summitt's house, word is they are dating.

VOLS85 writes:

TO MEMPHIS FANS:

We pick up a point guard in Maze over a month ago and you dog us for picking up a juco guard, and comment on how we're being desperate...

Memphis picks up a city college guard today from San Francisco who is likely to start, so now what do they say?

Plenty of two faced trash coming on this site from Memphis that needs to stay home and concern themselves with their own team in basketball, and pray that their football team doesn't get blown away every game this year...

CoverOrange writes:

Naf, what NBA team does Ron Slay play for? Or Damon Johnson, Tony White Jr? Find another measuring stick than whether someone plays in the NBA. Six months from now if Chris Lofton doesn't make a team are you going to claim he was overrated?

mtiger writes:

To Vols85

Jay Bilas knows basketball.