Will stadium score as site for UT fireworks?

Development forces relocation of base for touchdown pyrotechnics

If you hear a lot of explosions near the University of Tennessee this afternoon, don't duck.

Don't even worry.

It won't be al-Qaida, Florida fans or some other terrorist group setting off bombs.

It will be a testing of Neyland Stadium as a potential new site for launching the fireworks that traditionally accompany Vol touchdowns.

The old site, along the south bank of Fort Loudoun Lake, will become unavailable when development of a nearby marina and condominiums is completed, said Lansden Hill, president of Pryo Shows, the LaFollette firm that has handled touchdown fireworks displays for 20 years.

The state fire marshal's office, Knoxville Fire Department and University of Tennessee Police Department will be present for today's tests, UT spokesman Jay Mayfield said.

Tests will begin around 5 p.m. and should conclude by 5:20, Hill said.

"They want to test what that will look and sound like in advance of the season," Mayfield said.

"We will test a variety of pyrotechnics from several locations around the stadium to see if any of them offer any possibility of being a substitute for what we do now," Hill said. "There will be some loud noises. You can guarantee that the pigeons will be getting their exercise."

Fire codes prohibit use of the old site once the marina is in use and the condos occupied.

"There are fewer and fewer places where we can safely - and safety is always a consideration - fire the size of fireworks we've been using from the south bank," Hill said. "So it's either move farther down river, or out into the river, or do something else."

Last year, Pyro Shows experimented with a floating platform attached to the riverbank.

"We could always shoot from a barge out on the river, but that would drastically increase the cost because you have to pay for the barge," Hill said. "And that would potentially impair normal traffic up and down the river. Because of the impediment to water traffic, we wanted to explore the idea of doing things from the stadium itself, which would be similar to what we have done for NFL teams and some bowl games for the last few years," Hill said.

In addition to safety, other considerations include how impressive an effect can be produced from the stadium at how much of a cost.

Ultimately, Hill said, UT officials and corporate sponsors will have to weigh those and many factors to reach a decision.

Jim Balloch may be reached at 865-342-6315.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2008, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

matrosscbc writes:

insert your John Adams comments here...

THANKYOU4GETTINGRIDOFTHENOTSOSLIMONE writes:

Interesting......A firework goes high up in the air, explodes, and then falls back down to being of no use. Remind anyone of a certain coach and program?

newtonrail writes:

Yes, your Alabama Team PLEASE-----

andy112382#209793 writes:

Unlike you football IQ, PLEASEGETRIDOF..., which at no point was never high up, instead was a dud from the begining.

andy112382#209793 writes:

**which at no point was ever high up......apparently like my typing ability after 1am!

hcjournals#206623 writes:

Please-

Are you still around? We thought we ran off you ungrateful, negative unwanted types a while back. You are not welcome here. Please change or leave. We like our football program. Deal with it.

T0MMYJACK writes:

I heard your woman make a very similar comment about you, PLEASE....

wjackson#226202 writes:

No PLEASEGETRIDOF it reminds us of you.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

TJ-Up early this am? Bet its not as quiet as it is here at 6:30. Even the possums have went to bed.

If you think the doldrums aren't here, mull over a fireworks story!!

And it being tied to ol' Phil or journalist Adams.

I rest my case.

GreerVol22 writes:

To heck with fireworks, put 7 cannons in the courtyard on the hill and let the ROTC boys handle it. Its cheaper, builds character with a dash of new tradition thrown in.

BigMikeUT writes:

Love the comparison of Florida fans to terrorists...its perfect...

juicetke#226846 writes:

So we have reached the point that Al-Qaida is used as a joke?

GerryOP writes:

Hmmmmm, TJ, do we have an imposter here?

pdhuff#552644 writes:

GerryOP- you may be on to something.

Sjt18 - to say I farm would be a stretch. My current stock on over a 100 acres consists of a big barn cat, a big sleeping Lab and a wandering beagle. We do have about 20 acres of alfalfa. Hay is high. And 100 or so whitetails. HeHe!

Oh, and await the doldrums. Fireworks story????

vol_in_lsu_land writes:

Maybe there was a sale on capital letters at the Wal-Mart In Boerne? Can I buy a vowel?

TommyJack writes:

PD: It ain't me...I guess I should be flattered??

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Good 'ern, vol in lsu land- Great that ol' TJ being cloned.

He may have opened some charge account he's not familiar with.

TommyJack writes:

PD: Could the guy do more damage than my wife?

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Tj, the only one that could deal a harder blow than your current war department is a once-removed war department.

To wit: In the seventies, my now-ex insisted on the Vol season tickets. I added a rider that I would get them back if she ever didn't use them.

She dropped them after marrying a nice Vandy fan and somehow it slipped her mind on renewal.

Life goes on........

TommyJack writes:

PD: A Vandy guy? She marry up? :)

invisiblekid writes:

Soooo....I guess Spring Practice is going well?

TommyJack writes:

Kid: Not going at all right now..don't think.

TommyJack writes:

PD: A woman that would take your vol tix would steal your dog. That's low-down.

invisiblekid writes:

A couple of quotes to make you feel better about the season tickets pdhuff:

"Son, a woman is a lot like a... [looks around] a refrigerator! They're about six feet tall, 300 pounds. They make ice and, um... [spots his can of Duff] Oh, wait a minute. Actually, a woman is more like a beer. They smell good, they look good and you'd step over your own mother just to get one! [downs the beer] But you can't stop at one. You wanna drink another woman! - Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

"Woman is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man." Ulysses McGill, O Brother, Where Art Thou

invisiblekid writes:

Ahhh...thanks TommyJ forgot about the glorious days of spring break.

TommyJack writes:

Kid & PD: Here's another. "A woman that would take your dog would cut you"....Lewis Grizzard

GoVol writes:

I think we need to worry about scoring more than the fireworks. Maybe the fire marshall has some ideas on how to score TD's?

thesavageorange writes:

I have an idea that the phrase "weaker sex" was coined by some woman to disarm some man she was preparing to overwhelm. ~Ogden Nash

GoVol ,I hope we score so much they run out of fireworks.If not........uh ohh!

gohawks1 writes:

"Women - they're all nuts." - Barney Fife

gohawks1 writes:

TJ, I see your poser/stalker is back on the scene.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

TJ, IPO - also, Hell hath no fury like a .......

Yep she married up, but still hugs me at grandkids get-togethers. Newer hubby has a glazed look but I silently remind him that he signed up for that cruise. LOL

Lastly, always remember who does the killing in a lion pride. The maneless ones.

Beat American U. Please.

TommyJack writes:

IP: Yeah, I be da stalkee.

invisiblekid writes:

I would've posted some Oscar Wilde or Napolean Bonaparte quotes but they were downright sexist. BTW, did I hear someone mention glazed??

gohawks1 writes:

Here's one from one of my all time favorite guys:

"We have a good time together, even when we're not together." - Yogi Berra, when someone asked him about his wife.

thesavageorange writes:

IPOrange ,Now that's funny!

THANKYOU4GETTINGRIDOFTHENOTSOSLIMONE writes:

Sorry guys but I bleed orange. What I don't bleed though is an overpaid, overweight, and underdisciplined coach who has not finished in the top 10 in the past 6 years. Expect more/get less.

gohawks1 writes:

Yeah, savage, ole Yogi is a trip. One of my all time favorite Yogi-isms was this conversation between Yogi and his wife Carmen (Tim is their son):

Yogi: "Where have you been?"
Carmen: "I took Tim to see Dr. Zhivago."
Yogi: "What the h*!!'s wrong with him now?"

gohawks1 writes:

Is there an echo in here?

pdhuff#552644 writes:

How many trophys is Phil gonna get? And for what?

Splain, General, if you please.

Does he get a riding mower with the Sears Trophy?

Inquiring minds want........

ThurmondEppy writes:

So we've had spring practice for like two weeks and we get an article on fireworks? WTF? Glad I'm not paying for this site.

gohawks1 writes:

pdhuff, I think Phil receives a Die Hard battery with his trophy. :-)

SFOrange writes:

who cares?

pdhuff#552644 writes:

IPO 10:33 pm - Hmmmmm, The "Die Hards", might be some potential there, have to file that one away for this fall..........

TommyJack writes:

yeah General, you can splain it all down at city hall...

pdhuff#552644 writes:

sjt18- first you have to get some information about the subject. Apparently the KNS gets little or naught from ol' Phil. Thus the dearth of articles except those furnished by other sources, such as KPD, friends of the university, etc.

No one has played it closed to the vest than PF to keep doing the same thing. We'll see soon how much impact Clawson will have as far as changing anything. I suspect he views this as the opportunity of a lifetime.

Did you ever work with Heywood Harris?

You would be good fronting the program.

vols1314 writes:

Does anybody know how it turned out???

philfan writes:

There should be no fireworks display until after the SEC trophy is in the hands of Fulmer and his assistants, which may be sooner than you think. I was just thinking of the fireworks display that Clawson will provide when Tennessee is on the attack, come September when Florida comes visiting.

mjaichele#464960 writes:

Some of you like to quote stats, winning percentages, # of wins Fulmer has, etc. I suggest you look at one simple stat. the won/loss records of the teams Tennessee beats. Total up the wins and losses, and you will see its all true, Fulmer is excellent at beating a lot of very mediocre teams. As an example, last season the total won/loss record of the teams the Vols beat was 62 and 49, take out the Georgia win and it was 51 and 49. At least they were above .500. And last year they won 10 games, if you look at some of the prior years, I am sure it gets even better.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

sjt18 - if that's your criteria, stay the course you're on. You would not make a "I did not have sex with that woman" front man.

If you couldn't call a full-blown retreat - attacking in another direction- you're not the man for the job.

mjaichele - 8:09 Believe Fulmer has won 10 of his last 28 vs top 25 teams. At least that's close. Lose the facts or don the kevlar. LOL

mjaichele#464960 writes:

And UF crushed UT. What does that say? Schedule more North Ill., MTSU, UTC, Tiger High, Wyoming, S. Miss., any directional school from Lousyana, throw in a Troy every now and then, and you'll get your 10 wins, keep your job, get a contract extension, pay raise, and retire fat and happy without ever having to update your resume. What you won't get is a BCS Bowl, Conference Championship, National Championship, or rated in the top 10. Besides, if I was paying for season tickets, I sure would rather see a guaranteed win against NIU instead of perhaps, Oh I don't know, maybe the game of a lifetime against a Texas, Oklahoma, or So.Cal., but, the probability of a loss would be much higher, yeah the cost of that seat demands a win, even if it is against a team I could care less about.