Tailback Williams commits to Vols

Toney Williams

Toney Williams

Photo with no caption

Toney Williams circled the date on his calendar as soon as he committed to play football for Tennessee.

Sure, he wants to be a Vol. But he has to beat Georgia.

“I just want to play Georgia bad,” the 6-foot-1, 229-pound tailback from Milton High in Alpharetta, Ga., said Saturday. “I can’t wait.”

Williams also couldn’t wait to commit to UT, having a scholarship offer from the Vols along with Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Mississippi State, North Carolina State, Indiana, Arkansas and Rutgers.

Georgia didn't offer him a scholarship.

“I just felt comfortable with it,” Williams said of his decision. “I feel good about it.”

Williams said Kentucky was UT’s closest competitor. He said UT’s environment, facilities, coaches and tradition won him over.

Williams rushed for 900 yards playing tailback last season.

“I like having the ball in my hand, controlling the game,” Williams said. “Leave it up to me.”

Williams described himself as a powerful back with good vision. He was recruited primarily by UT receiver coach Latrell Scott.

Williams said he has no intention to listen to other colleges, as they will assuredly make a late push. He said he won’t take any official visits, other than to UT, this fall.

“I’m done,” Williams said flatly.

Williams is UT’s fourth commitment for the 2009 class. He joins running back Dominique Allen from Henry County High in Paris, Tn., receiver Je’Ron Stokes from Northeast High in Philadelphia, Pa. and athlete Damien Thigpen from Stonewall Jackson High in Manassas, Va.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2008, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VolPride_13 writes:

Man, Now we're talkin', Power Running Backs galore!!

dqnapier#225584 writes:

Sounds like Toney wants to beat UGA as bad as I do. That's what I like to hear out of our recruits. We need more kids who understand the rivalries we have with UGA, Florida, and Bamalama.

AlpharettaVol writes:

Us hometown guys are pretty proud right now!

IBleedOrange444 writes:

Welcome to the Vol family Toney. I look forward to seeing you run all over the Dawgs!!

orangesox writes:

I agree with dqnapier. Having talented kids come in from California and parts all over is great, but sometimes they don't understand what it means to line up against the likes of Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and so on.

alfrizzle097 writes:

Leave it to them not to say anything about his recruiting ranking

MrBamSeydu writes:

I second "bamacheats" notion. I hope this kid enjoys hitting as much as he does being hit, because that's what he'll be doing.

miamiVOL writes:

good to hear, now lets get some big linemen!!

kingmufasa76 writes:

Running back
Alpharetta (GA) Milton

Ht: 6-foot-1
Wt: 227 lbs
Forty: 4.6 secs
Class: 2009 (High School)
Not ranked coming soon

99gator writes:

fellas

he wants to beat georgia because they did not offer him a scholarship and that's obviously where he wanted to go.

he could have been given a scholarship to any school that plays georgia and he would want a piece of georgia. this kid knows jack about tenn-georgia. for him, it's personal.

thesavageorange writes:

I like the attitudes and grades these early commits have.They are all at around a 3.0...Vandy was recruiting Williams heavy as well, but probably new their chances were slim.

I believe there is an instate D-tackle that would commit to UT now if they would offer.And yes we are recruiting him.He doesn't have the star power of a Davenport ,but is a rising name, and we need to sign 6-7 DT's(IMO) this yr and not all are going to be 5*'s.The one I'm refering to is:

Curtis King 6-3/270/- Memphis, TN

People around Memphis say he's nasty.This is why I think UT shouldn't wait.

"I grew up a Tennessee fan, but if Ole Miss offers, I'd seriously think about committing," King said on Sunday.

thesavageorange writes:

99gator, If that was the case he could have waited.I think for him it was the principle of the matter.

That tells me we might have won out anyway.Who knows?

thesavageorange writes:

99gator, It wasn't as if UGA just blew him off.They were in contact w/, and visiting him.Auburn and Bama also have visited w/ him.

"Vanderbilt and Florida are the two schools showing me the most love, but I know some others send letters and some came by the school," Williams said. "Georgia's Coach [Tony] Ball came by to talk with my coach about me and Auburn came by too."

99gator writes:

savage

did not see any of that in this article.

however, what i wrote has nothing to do with the kid being a good player or bad player. i don't know anything about the kid.

but, it would appear to me, that he did not receive the kind of love from georgia that he was looking for and seems bitter about it.

there's nothing wrong with that either.

thesavageorange writes:

99gator, You may be right , but actually Hooker said something about Georgia not offering not Williams.Maybe he just doesn't care for Georgia.

All I am saying is ,that if a school I wanted to go to was showing interest, then why wuouldn't I wait?NSD isn't untill Feb...

VOLS85 writes:

blame fulmer

99gator writes:

savage

true. kids also say they are done with the process and change their minds, because as you pointed out.....february is so far away.

sometimes a kid can feel "dissed" by not getting the proper love early on and that kid will never open his door to that school again. that could have happened.

maybe he hates mark richt or uga the dog.

but, the whole process is so premature at this point.

what if tenn wins a national title and kids who did not have tenn on their radar all of a sudden want to check tenn out?

what if fulmer is fired?

what if this kid gets hurt his senior year?

so, many things can still happen. there are some kids who are tired of their phone ringing and texting that they make a choice now and stick with it.

this is probably one of those kids.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

son, just keep that pi## and vinegar attitude. We need massive injections of it on the Hill.

Welcome.

thesavageorange writes:

99gator , Believe me I know what you mean.One of my big disappointments so far was Dallas Lee of Georgia.He had Tennessee listed as his favorite, and talked about being disgruntled that Georgia didn't offer.As soon as they did he commited, and has shut down his recruitment.

nicksjuzunk#646117 writes:

Oh no! Another commitment from a quality player. The future looks bleak.

thesavageorange writes:

Actually this kid is originally from Tennessee.He lived here for 13 yr's before moving to Atl.Maybe he was just sick of hearing people down there bash his home state team.

Madkels writes:

Milton is a top notch H.S. here in the ATL burbs. Great teachers/coaches and great atmosphere. Most kids coming out of Milton are great students too. Hope he brings it all to UT. Glad to see us get one from my backyard here in GA!

pmidude56#259103 writes:

Whether he's an RB or a LB...just glad he's all-Vol and has "no intention of listening to other coaches". Just hope he sticks with that attitude even if Mark Richt comes calling!

givehim6 writes:

One thing I noticed was he was recruited by Scott. I rememberer when Clawson first introduced Scott Clawson said he was a very good recruiter, hopefully we got our replacment to Trouper. But we need to get some good D linemen. GO VOLS!

douglasawilliams#582863 writes:

I'm glad he is coming to UT. KingMufasa where did you get your stats on Williams? If, accurate 4.6 isn't the fastest back in the world but he has some size at 226 and 6'1" and that does mean something. Hopefully, CPF doesn't try to convert him into a LB because this young man does not lack confidence. Welcome to Tennessee.

CoverOrange writes:

Anybody remember the recruiting story on Jamal Lewis. Didn't he have a grudge against Georgia too?

VolCane7979 writes:

"Posted by bamacheats on May 3, 2008 at 5:02 p.m. (Suggest removal)

This kid has 'project LB' written all over him."

What in this article suggests that? Loser.

agentorange writes:

99Gator, i still have no idea why you read about the vols or post on this site. you must have recevied your blackbelt in "loser" from zook.

thesavageorange writes:

WD40plusVol , Yep.UGA was higher on Jasper Sanks, whom never came close to Lewis.

TommyJack writes:

Another stimulating post from agentorange. BTW, I think Zook's team won the Rose Bowl.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Gen F, I don't know why some would consider him an LB. 900 yds rushing, why just keep loading the offense. We can find eleven to throw out on "D". Maybe Dupree at MLB.

Good philosophy, we SHOULD outscore most people...

invisiblekid writes:

That dose of "Fritter Logic" is almost as scary as my suggestion of a 2-9 Buzzard defense a few months back. It makes since given that we have what seems like 37 defensive backs and 3 legitimate defensive tackles on the roster.

TommyJack writes:

Kid: we could send the Chief out recruiting.....oh, wait a minute....

invisiblekid writes:

For all the english majors and 4th grade teachers out there, excuse the earlier spelling error...sense.

Glad you caught yourself TJ, Chief doesn't "do" recruiting. He doesn't want to subject himself to wearing a hat backwards to relate to the youth of America.

Tenn_Dawg writes:

This kid looks like a quality back. I think the reason UGA has not looked harder at him is because they have redshirt soph Moreno, redshirt freshman Caleb King ('07 4-star) RB, freshman Dontavious Jackson ('08 4-star) enrolled in Jan, freshman Richard Sameul('08 5-star) enrolled in Jan, Carlton Thomas ('08 4-star) arriving in this summer, and they had a March commitment from Washuam Ealey ('09 4-star). That makes three RB commitments with the 2008 class. There is only one ball to go around so I don't think they are taking another back with this class. UGA will focus on offensive/defensive tackles, tight-ends and receivers the rest of the way with maybe a LB and DB thrown in there.

BSweet writes:

Glad to see some early success at recruiting, but like so many of you others out there, I keep hoping for a rash of DL commits. I just don't understand how a school like UT who has had such success at putting DLs in the league can't seem to get commitments. Arguably the greatest of all time, Reggie White played here! I know that was a long time ago but it's not like we haven't had success since. You'd think kids would want to come here and be part of that legacy. I just don't get it.

murrayvol writes:

TJ: Are you talking about "Zook's team" in this year's Rose Bowl or last year's Fiesta??

TommyJack writes:

Murray: Rose

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Could "roids" make him a d-lineman? LOL

Brama writes:

Will be a linebacker in College. Only Rushed for 900 yds & we are beating Kentucky for the prospect. What about Georgia, Bama, Florida, South Carolina. All of these schools are in his backyard & he didn't get an offer from.

invisiblekid writes:

Easy now pdhuff, that kind of talk is acceptable in Tuscaloosa but around here, we pride ourselves on our all-natural 240 lb defensive tackles.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

True, Ikid, I should have known better. We need to insure out 11th ranked "D" will have the material to maintain that lofty rating.

What has happened to us and D-line recruiting?
We have bad breath or need to change deodorant?

Well, lets go get some more DBs.....

volboy81#211803 writes:

what Memphis HS does Curtis King play for? ...anyone know?

thesavageorange writes:

Memphis (TN) Trezevant

MikeTheVol writes:

WHAT ABOUT D-LINEMEN??????? We need some Hendersons, Haynesworths & Walkers!!!!!!!!!!