Kentucky offers another scholarship to ninth-grader

Coach Billy Gillispie is still thinking young. Kentucky has offered a basketball scholarship to an Indiana ninth-grader who is also being recruited by Tennessee, according to the Lexington Herald-Leader.

Kentucky, which recently received commitments from an Ohio ninth-grader and a California eighth-grader, has offered a scholarship to point guard Jeremiah Davis III of Muncie, Ind.

Davis' father told the newspaper his son is also being recruited by Tennessee, Indiana and Ohio State. None of those three has offered scholarships, he said. He said Tennessee has invited his son to its summer camp.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2008, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

IBleedOrange444 writes:

Haaaa!

When I read about the 8th grader that committed to UK I just thought Billy G was drunk. Now I KNOW he is drunk!! If these kids don't develope, then UK is goiing to be really bad in a few years.

King53 writes:

Billy G will not even be there when these kids graduate from high school.

jclowers writes:

Gillespie needs to worry about his team now, not in 4 years.

LadyVolsEighTimes writes:

King53, That is a really good point!

hoskinsfive#468391 writes:

Signing players that young is insane! The best 8th grader i ever saw in my life never got any better and did not even play D1. At the time we all thought he was NBA bound. They have to keep getting better, and most are already topped out.

hoskinsfive#468391 writes:

Thats why 99.9% of coaches would never do that and it is unheard of. Billy G. is screwing up big time.

hoskinsfive#468391 writes:

That's ok though. They are probably buying these kids new bicycles. Let the biggest cheaters in the history of the NCAA continue their downfall, and there will be another SI cover with a little kid in shame.

Basketball_Jones writes:

He's already assuming he'll be the coach in 4 years. After we spend the next 4 years kicking UK a%% I'm sure the boosters will ready to hire say...Kelvin Sampson

Oenoboy writes:

Gillespie an idiot? Pearl is going after the same kid, does that make him an idiot as well?

Gillespie is rebuilding the KY program and they will be back to national prominence again soon. As much as I hate the KY basketball, this is actually a good thing. With Florida, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and Tennessee being perennial top 30 teams, it will help media coverage and recruiting for all of us.

TommyJack writes:

Billy G won't be happy til HE gets zits.

AlpharettaVol writes:

Oenoboy: I believe that recruiting them at this age means that they may have talked with them and are following their progress as they grow and mature. That's a long way from actually offering them a scholarship. Let's at least wait and see if they can pass the test to get their driver's license.

BOASoldier writes:

Pearl Has spoken to him about coming to UT not offered a scholarship. So yes Billy G is still an idiot. It is one thing to make an offer for a kid to come to your summer camp. It is quite another to offer them an outright scholarship. Sorry Oenoboy your argument is dead for the time being.

Lofton4Three writes:

Couple more signings and he'll be set for the 2013 season. Then he can devote the time he needs to kick back in the bar. I tell you...you have to admire a drunk with a work ethic.

hoskinsfive#468391 writes:

Ky leads the NCAA in violations. Rupp was the biggest cheater in the history of sports, yet they are proud of their storied history.

bmiller#222442 writes:

This just in:

University of Kentucky coach Billy Gillispie has landed yet another commitment.

The future prospect, the unnamed fetus of Bertha and Adolf Cutshaw of Corbin Ky, measures 21 inches and 74 pounds at the young age of 7 months.

In an interview with the parents of the University of Kentucky recruit, Adolf Cutshaw was gushing at his son's 4 inch in-utero vertical leap, however mother Bertha was less than overjoyed.

Coach Gillispie was quoted as saying, "Whatever his name, a player with this much potential will factor greatly, around the year 2026, in bringing Kentucky basketball back to the level it so greatly dererves."

pdhuff#552644 writes:

I can see the 4th graders marching around their classroom, singing "My Old Kentucky Home".

There's nothing wrong with a little toddy, maybe not when you're handing our schollys. Ky pretty soon won't have to recruit for the next 12 years if contracts with 10 years olds are binding...

Colliervol writes:

I think all these schools (including UT) are crazy for getting involved with 8th and 9th graders. This is exactly the kind of junk that has caused the out-of-control mess that we are witnessing with O.J. Mayo and Southern Cal. (Mayo had a posse and "handlers" in the 9th grade too and it all stems from being recruited and pampered at a young age.) I heard a report the other day that flatly stated that the majority of the top 25 recruits every year are getting some sort of financial consideration from agents.

All these "runners", street agents, and crooked AAU programs are just adding to the problem. The schools actually don't have to cheat anymore. The agents and their cronies are handling it for them. The only time it gets exposed is when somebody gets unhappy with the "arrangement" like with the Mayo and Reggie Bush situation. Can you imagine how much is happening out there that isn't getting exposed?

thesavageorange writes:

I think ole Bruce has Billy in panic mode.If there is one team UK fans don't want to lose to it's the Vols.Back in the day, after UT would beat them in football, all you would hear from UK fans is "wait till basketball season".Now that BP has put the conference in a headlock, they are resorting to desperate measures.

Colliervol, I agree. Gillispie is playing a dangerous game here in more ways than one.

Colliervol writes:

Rhetorical question. Is it against NCAA rules for a coach to sponsor neo-natal summer camps for potential recruits and the baby mamas?

ILOVEKOOLAID writes:

I almost feel bad for UK (almost). Gillispie is making a proud basketball institution the laughingstock of the sports world. Go check out the paper's website in Lexington. EVERYONE thinks this is ridiculous.

invisiblekid writes:

"Can you imagine how much is happening out there that isn't getting exposed?"

Collier, I'd rather keep my head in the sand and still get some enjoyment out of collegiate athletics. IMO, college will always be more enjoyable than the pros because I still try to believe it isn't always about the money.

I honestly thought I was joking a few months back during football recruiting when talking with jdcvols about recruiting middle school players. This is pathetic and I don't care who is doing it.

Playing devil's advocate for a minute though, what is Gillespie really losing by making offers? If the kids don't develop, then all he has to do is pull the offer. He loses face in recruiting circles but it's not as though they are signing LOI's.

invisiblekid writes:

Collier, 4:13, the answer is yes. Saban has already looked into it although he has been given permission to do a live feed video conference with the ultrasounds.

Back to KY for a second, early word on the street is that Gillispie is already in hot water over these offers. Several of his recruits have been spotted with BabyGap coupons.

IdahoVol writes:

I agree 100% w/Colliervol. Unfortunately if this pays off (which no one will know for a couple more years - at least until the kids have played 2 or 3 years of hs ball) other coaches will feel like they have no choice but to offer early. I hope it doesn't get to that.

thesavageorange writes:

Posted by invisiblekid on May 13, 2008 at 4:27 p.m.

His integrity and character.

murrayvol writes:

There was a time when this sort of phooey would make SI's Sign of the Apocalypse. I long for those days.

ILOVEKOOLAID writes:

I'll take that bet, Catscratch. How about your next month's paycheck? What's a couple bucks for a good laugh!

invisiblekid writes:

Good point SavageO although those two items will be afterthoughts if he starts off next season like he did the last one.

On a side note, I feel sorry for the "pathetic losers" that pull for other teams who continue to troll this site looking to instigate arguments. It's one thing if someone wants to come here and talk shop, it's another when all they can do is thump their chest and brag about how great their team is.

thesavageorange writes:

CatScratchFever , your showing your frustration.

Jealous of what?Your state income tax?

Maybe your womens b-ball team?Nope, we won the NC.
Your mens b-ball team?Nah, we won the SEC.
Your football team?Uhh uh, we have won 22 in a row.
Track & Field?Guess not, were #14 your #18.

I got it!Baseball!Your 14-13 conference record is so much better than our 11-16, it's just killing me inside.Bwahahahaha!

thesavageorange writes:

invisiblekid, your on target as usual.I actually like to talk sports w/ fans of other schools like 99gator and some of the Wisconsin and UCLA fans that have been on.I have never been on another teams site and embarrassed my entire fan base by flaunting my ignorence.

Ohhh well.When they start yapping and show their lack of respect and lack of intelligence ,it reminds me to thank GOD I'm a VOL.

WorkinLikeHeck writes:

This next year will be the 4th year in a row that UK looks up to Tennessee in the basketball standings in the SEC. I'll bet anybody that right now. Name your price.

hoskinsfive#468391 writes:

Catscratch, I bet you're a 2 tooth inbred from Corbin. How can you be so proud of a program with such a history of cheating? You're the "best" at what? Sending large sums of money to recruits in California? Cheating on the SAT and getting caught? Winning national championships with kids from Tennessee like Ron Mercer and Tony Delk. Kentucky truley is the "land of nod" you know the place where cane was bannished to. I live near the Cumberland Gap tunnell that divides our two states and I swear everytime I drive through there I can smell the awful stinking smell that is the Commonwealth.

hoskinsfive#468391 writes:

Kentucky sucks! Period.

WorkinLikeHeck writes:

Don't forget the women's softball team, ranked #14 with a 47-14 record vs. Kentucky who finished dead last in the SEC with a 17-37 record.

Men's tennis....#37 UK lost in the NCAA tournament in Knoxville while Tennessee advanced to the Sweet 16 and is still playing.

Men's track...Tennessee will be looking to add to its SEC-leading 25 outdoor conference titles and defend its 2007 championship.

Men's Golf...Tennessee gets a 5 seed, Kentucky gets a 19 seed.

Women's Soccer gets s 3 seed in NCAA tourney, Kentucky doesn't qualify.

Men and Women's Swimming and Diviing....Tennessee finished 7th in the polls for both men and women, while Kentucky isn't rannked.

I could keep going, but I think we all get the point.

hoskinsfive#468391 writes:

Dont forget about the south east Ky inbred factor.

hoskinsfive#468391 writes:

Catscratch, i bet you dont know five people up there that are not on a government check.

hoskinsfive#468391 writes:

P.s. After your people pay a visit to our lakes on memorial day. There is so much trash floating that you cant paddle a canoe across. Yea, you guessed it I have a deep hatred for the place. But so does everyone else on the st line. I would rather be over - run with illegal Mexicans than Kenpuckians - at least thay will work for a living.

thesavageorange writes:

Dang Workin,Dang I was trying to cut the cat some slack.

Well, we all know when it comes to WorkinLikeHeck :"No mercy for the weak".LOL!

Ironcity writes:

Best thing that ever happened for UT. In four years when Billie G renigs on his offers to the 8th and 9th graders that don't develop it will expose him for the unethical coach he is. Once the rest of the world can see that he will lie and do what ever it takes to try keep up with the big orange, recruits will slowly drift away.

Heck its already happening. Check out all the players that have already transferred since he got there.

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

Personally I don't think there should a lower limit in terms of how young can be and still be awarded a scholarship.

Thus, I support the University of Kentucky Basketball sperm donor program. Anyone out there ready to make a contribution?

invisiblekid writes:

Dang Workin' and Savage, you chased the Kitten from the North off already. At least overrated sticks around long enough to ignore anything he can't refute and come up with more claims to greatness, real and imagined.

Bricker....EXACTLY.

gohawks1 writes:

I know a 2 year old who can already palm a nerf ball. Go get him, Billy!

chrisw2967 writes:

Billy will be going after pregnant mothers offering them scholarships before its over , UK will be the only university to have a signing class filled for the class of 2025 ,by this years end.

thesavageorange writes:

invisiblekid , When you use (as we have recently discussed)common sense/objectivity/logic that is what usually happens.Throw in Workin' ,whom is always on the ball w/ current stats and history, and it's SEE YA!

I was actually going to give overrated some props myself.Atleast he is talking about an outstanding b-ball team.What cat.....is doing is like me going on a Florida website talking smack.

thesavageorange writes:

Workin', Didn't mean to make it sound like you didn't possess common sense/objectivity/logic.

UTVol39 writes:

Apparently Gillespie applies the "if there's grass on the playing field, play ball" philosophy to basketball recruiting.

LadyVolsEighTimes writes:

We al know the schoolie will be withdraw if the kid doesn't work out.

This is just crazy. I have no problem with offering the kid BBall Camps,even School visits.

But a schoolie???????

Get real, all UK has done is prevent the man from looking at other teams

dvols writes:

i can't believe it.

what if the oj mayo phooey would have happenned in the SEC.

8 and 9 graders don't sign letters of intent.

BUT, if a player was getting paid at tn or ky or fl or bama or ga. are u kidding me???????

BSweet writes:

Okay, I'm no expert on recruiting, but if these kids don't develop, can't he pull the offer? I mean, all he's really doing is taking a gamble, right? These kids will never foget that he offered them before anyone, and if they do develop into superstars, that may well sway their decision. Now I could see how pulling the offer later would make him look bad, but like I said, isn't he really just gambling that these kids will be spectacular? If even one of them is the next Lebron James, then isn't his gamble a success? Whatever the case, I personally think the NCAA should make a rule that you can't offer until at least their junior year of HS. The potential harm to these kids and the pressure it puts on them to be that next big thing is just too much. I think the NCAA needs to step in and offer them some protection. But that's just my opinion.

DadwasaVol writes:

I saw an eighth-grader nail a crucial 3-pointer in a high school state tourney game. I coached him in summer league. He was legit. I wanted Tennessee to offer him. He led NC State in scoring and went on to play for the Dallas Mavericks. Laugh all you want but coaches are paid millions to find every possible talent and competitive edge and so I cannot blame them for trying.

justnorthofu writes:

All of you need to quit hating on Billy G. He is going after young prospects and none of them are signing LOI's. All programs and fans are ticked that Kentucky basketball is back on track. Jealously is a horrible thing, but I guess that many SEC and National championships will do that.

GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!