Lady Vols win exhibition opener, 133-55

Freshman Johnson scores 33 off bench

Glory Johnson set the encore bar pretty high with her Tennessee women’s basketball debut Thursday night.

After scoring 33 points and grabbing 14 rebounds in a 135-55 exhibition victory over Carson-Newman College, what more can the freshman forward do?

Well, how about starting for starters.

“I really don’t want to be on the bench,” the former Webb School star said. “I don’t really need to be there. It was something I was trying to prove.”

She made her case rather emphatically, coming in to shoot 11 for 18 from the floor and amass her impressive totals in just 28 playing minutes before a crowd of 11,781 at Thompson-Boling Arena.

“Glory is one of the best athletes that we’ve ever had in our program,” UT coach Pat Summitt said. “I would compare her to (former UT All-American) Tamika Catchings with her speed and aggressiveness. She shot the ball well tonight, considering that we haven’t spent a lot of time on her face-up game. … She has a lot of pride in her game. She definitely changes the way we play.”

All of Tennessee’s freshmen introduced them in impressive fashion. Four others scored in double figures with Alicia Manning getting 19, Shekinna Stricklen 17, Amber Gray 16 and Alyssia Brewer 14.

Manning filled out her stat line with six rebounds, five assists, four steals and three blocks. Brewer, a 6-foot-3 forward, had 13 rebounds and gathered a team-high seven steals, one more than Stricklen.

First-year point guard Briana Bass had four assists and zero turnovers.

Add redshirt freshman center Kelley Cain’s 18 points and nine rebounds to the potent mix and it added up to the second-highest scoring total in UT’s exhibition history. The Lady Vols’ 72 rebounds were four short of the school single-game record.

Carson-Newman College coach Dean Walsh offered a frame of reference for seventh-ranked Tennessee’s performance. Two nights earlier, the Lady Eagles played at No. 6 North Carolina, losing to the Tar Heels 114-64.

“As I told Coach (Summitt) in the hallway out there, at this point in time it’s not close, she’s better than Carolina,’’ he said. “It’s not even close. We were able to get looks against Carolina. We were able to do a lot of things we wanted to do against Carolina. And tonight we couldn’t get the looks that we wanted that we felt were open.”

UT’s effort affirmed the demanding nature of preseason practice. Even with the rout in full swing at 119-50, Summitt took a quick timeout to give Brewer an earful.

Afterward, she was lamenting the Lady Vols’ 25 for 49 free throw shooting, albeit in a joking manner.

“I’m not sure who our free throw coach is,’’ said Summitt, listing the names of assistant coaches Dean Lockwood, Holly Warlick and Daedra Charles-Furlow, “but it wasn’t me. That was unacceptable. We can work on that, though.”

On the other hand, Summitt was serious about deploying Johnson as a reserve. Last week, Summitt had listed the 6-3 high school All-American as a starter but then backtracked based on Johnson’s practice effort.

“Glory can change her role when she brings it in practice every day,” Summitt said. “She’s a special player. I have different expectations for her.”

Walsh’s joking referred to the exhibition gauntlet he put his team through this week.

“I think anybody that knows the game of basketball knows there isn’t a sane coach who would play North Carolina on Tuesday and then turn around and play the Lady Vols,” he said.

In all seriousness, from this point forward it’s bound to get better.

Said C-N guard Ashley Tipton: “It makes our (other) games seem really easy.”

bobbarbilly writes:

HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!

MrBamSeydu writes:

ummm they won by 80? that's ridiculous

bobbarbilly writes:

I agree. They should have stopped shooting when they were 78 points ahead.

KCHS63 writes:

supersmo18#644742
You opened it up. Obviously, you wanted to read it. How's everything going in sophomore English?
BUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...........

blitzshoot writes:

Should had been 90....keep working.....Vanderbilt lies ahead.

xvolx writes:

from what I saw, these frosh. girls can play the game. very athletic. cain is smooth as silk for 6-6. manning and johnson looked really good. brewer, strickland and gray also played good. Bass is not as good a shooter as bobbit, but handles the ball good. bgorkland and baugh have let down their teammates and coach summit. 3-pt. shooting not too impressive. free throw shooting definately needs improvement. not bad for first effort.

Volsfan75 writes:

xvolx, Why would you say that Bjorklund and Baugh are letdowns. Baugh is recovering from ACL surgery. I am not sure about Bjorklund. However, when she is shooting well, she is as good as anyone on the team.

xvolx writes:

in response to Volsfan75:

they were both suspended for missing summer classes. both sophs. should have known better. bjorkland also suspended for next ex. game.

rockytopron writes:

Scary thought is, wait until this team gets some real experience! #9 in '09!

tenn32rebel writes:

Angie will play on Sunday but Vicki will sit it out. Both will play in the home opener. They learned that Pat meant all classes even if you have a 4.0 like Angie. Cait was also suspended for two games last Decemeber for the same reason.

Glory learned that she must go all-out in practice to start. That message was sent to ALL the Lady Vols and it seemed like it was received!!!

Go Lady Vols, '09 edition!!!!

xvolx writes:

in response to tenn32rebel:

Go Lady Vols, '09 edition!!!!

we have a donk. coach pat insist on discipline. I sure angie and vickie want do it again. you go girls.

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

so, glory thinks she is a starter, and Pat says 'no, you aren't practicing hard'. That is good. Ms. Glory needs to understand that even if she can 'bring it' in games, by not working hard in practice she's hurting the development of whomever is going against her.

andefromtn#212139 writes:

It's great to see the freshmen get off to a good start but CN isn't in the same league as the other schools on the Lady Vol schedule. The real tests begins with the real schedule, when they face teams like NC and Stanford. The other's team ability to perform will directly impact how this team plays. Pressure from a D1 school is much different than than from CN. It not a slam on CN, they do well in their own divison for the most part, but let's realize this team has a long road between not and March. And I expect to see them ready for March because I know Coach will be there working their butts off in practice and in games. Good start Ladies, let's keep it going!

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Pat gets it.

Mentoring sometimes involves azz kicking.

ps11824 writes:

I want to read these kinds of stats after every game we play, except for the free throw thing. I will be a very happy fan.

dobber writes:

I went to the game and all I have to say is WOW!!! This is the most athletic teams Pat has ever had. If this team can gel by tourny time I smell another championship. Glory was amazing, but my new favorite player is Alica Manning she is so good she takes the place of hornbuckle as are best defender.

OldNumber7 writes:

When you read "Summitt saving players at practice to keep from getting injury" or "players during mid-season slump are asked to be physical in practice - complaining it's hard"...you'll know hell hath frozen over.

ps11824 writes:

This is a quote from an editorial cartoon in a newspaper (which I won't name, because it's irrelevant) I read yesterday: The illustration showed two guys sitting 'down below' in a hellish looking place watching the snow and ice falling; the caption read: "I guess hell has finally frozen over."

I had to laugh a little bit, but hesitantly because it borders on sacrilegious commentary. We've seen a couple of things come to pass this week which some of us thought would never happen. One of course, political, and two, the exit of our head football coach.

RocketVol, I agree and disagree with your statement. Pat will always hold a player out on Jenny's recommendation, but you are right on the money about pushing them to the limit at practice if they've been given the green light. Pat and Jenny have such great communication and she depends on the advice from her staff, and if they (coaches/trainers) are not on top of things then they will run until they puke just like the players do, figuratively speaking.

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to dobber:

Hornbuckle did a VERY nice job last year of toning down the wildness on offence. I used to cringe when she got the ball.

Another key to last season, Anosike, did not get into playing shape until tourney time. Funny how that stuff works; we talked about Hornbuckle and Anosike being keys to 2007-2008, and they ended up being just that. This season, who knows??

I'm ready, can't wait to see there first broadcast game. I've got high hopes for Cain....

ps11824 writes:

To Whom It May Concern: the Smokey's Trail Lady Vols site is in serious need of update. So what's up with that? Could we get some new pictures of this team? How about the media guide?

amcguire01 writes:

My goodness...! Glory, Glory! Pat knows how to pick'em.

This team is going to surprise some people. Don't count the freshman out.

tenn32rebel writes:

"Does anyone get to see pracitce?? how do the LV's do against their men's practice squad???"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Practices that are held at TBA are usually open to the public but Pratt practices are closed.

I haven't seen practice yet but from folks that have, the guys practice squad really works the LVs.

At first, they couldn't get a pass by the guys; too soft, too high, etc. After Pat got through with them, they have done much better!

The guys' practice squad had one glitch and missed a practice. Boy, I would have hated to be on the recieving end of that "lecture" by Pat. However, things have gone quite well since then.

Essentially, the guys are longer and quicker than the LVs thereby forcing them to find a higher level of play which is what Pat wants!!! She really gives the guys a great deal of credit for helping the Lady Vol team.

A past male practice player is now an assistant coach with Nikki Caldwell at UCLA. At that age, I would have killed to get a strong basketball reference from Pat! It is a true win-win situation for everyone involved.

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to tenn32rebel:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks!!!

The state where I live want let HS girls teams do that anymore. Totally...whatever. Really hurts the more athletic or tall girls who can't get good practice competition.

I place a lot of stock in how the LV's practice against their practice squad of guys. It's pretty much like having a real game (from my understanding), and the competition is pretty fierce.