Vols give Cowboys much to celebrate

Defense ready when gifts came

Mike Griffith

The 1980s music blared from the Wyoming locker room, the Cowboys' players singing along and letting the good times roll Saturday afternoon.

"They're smiling ear to ear, all of them,'' Wyoming coach Joe Glenn said. "That's a happy team in that locker room.''

The Cowboys (4-6) kept their bowl hopes alive with Saturday's 13-7 victory over Tennessee (3-7) at Neyland Stadium.

"Tennessee is a great team with a legendary coach, and they were playing with emotion,'' Wyoming quarterback Chris Stutzriem said. "But you can never count out boys from Wyoming.''

Stutzriem was a modest 8-of-16 passing for 95 yards and a TD, but the 260-pounder made plays when he had to, running through four UT defenders on a 13-yard scramble early and delivering a 26-yard first-down pass off the run late.

"I knew from the get-go we were ready on defense,'' Cowboys cornerback Marcell Gipson said. "I never had a doubt in my mind.''

Wyoming held the Vols to 219 total yards and intercepted UT starting quarterback Nick Stephens twice.

Cowboys junior defensive end Mike Neuhaus picked off a Stephens' pass from point-blank range on the Vols' fifth offensive play of the game.

"That was one of the best feelings I've had in college football,'' said Neuhaus, who returned the interception 55 yards to the UT 4 to set up Wyoming's first TD. "He kind of threw me the ball - I just jumped a little bit.''

Cowboys' senior linebacker Ward Dobbs stepped in front of another Stephens' pass at the Vols' 24 and returned his interception for a TD to put Wyoming up 13-0 at the 9:03 mark of the second quarter.

Cowboys senior center Tim Bond said the win over UT ranks among the best he has experienced.

"It's one of the better ones because we'd been in a slump, and it's not like we were losing by a little, we were losing by a lot,'' Bond said. "We just tried to out-physical (Tennessee). There's nothing to be intimidated about, it's exciting.

"It was a privilege to play in this game.''

Wyoming snapped a five-game losing streak with its 35-10 win over San Diego State last week. The average margin of defeat in those five losses was 39 points.

"I know we've got some hideous scores, but guys, we're not bad,'' Glenn said. "With Tennessee, having gone through what they did, their kids weren't happy, but they kept fighting.''

Glenn said it was hard to find the right words for UT coach Phillip Fulmer when the two met at midfield after the game.

"It's hard to know what to say,'' Glenn said. "I'd talked to him before the game and thanked him for what he has done for the game of football.

"He's a guy everyone looks up to in the American Football Coaches Association. He's a leader, he's a winner and a wonderful person.''

And Saturday will be remembered as a wonderful win for the unheralded Cowboys, some of whom were still pinching themselves after a game they entered as 26-point underdogs.

"Oh man, it's absolutely amazing,'' said fullback Greg Genho, who reeled in a 4-yard TD pass to start the scoring. "It's like a dream, it still hasn't settled in. There's some crazy emotions going on.''

Get Copyright Permissions © 2008, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

cltvol writes:

those cowboys from the mountain broke our back today....

dirtywhiteboy writes:

i think we were there (word that rhymes with ditch) today. didn't waste my time going to the game but listened to most of it and it sounded totally brutal.

loudmouthofthesouth (Inactive) writes:

I hate to see UT lose, but at least a few dirt farmin' boys in Wyoming will be forever immortalized. Good for them.

UrbanCryer writes:

i didnt know wyoming moved thier homecoming to neyland. congrats on the win wyoming, put it on fulmers legendary win-loss list.

volintexas writes:

in response to cltvol:

those cowboys from the mountain broke our back today....

Fulmer to Clawson: I wish I could quit you.

volintexas writes:

Give the Boys their due. After losing 5 games by an average of 39 points, they were due for some good fortune and we supplied it. I was all for Nick getting his chance, and now let's bring on BJ.

bobbarbilly writes:

Let's bring on November 30th when we will wake up and realize that the bad dream is over.

shoalcreekvol writes:

Loudmouth, I'm with you. Good for them. They just got some streets in Wherever, Wyoming named after themselves.

I thought the dagger was pushed in all the way, but then Wyoming twisted it:

"He kind of threw me the ball - I just jumped a little bit.''

"We just tried to out-physical (Tennessee). There's nothing to be intimidated about..."

"With Tennessee, having gone through what they did, their kids weren't happy, but they kept fighting."

A note on that last quote: No, Coach Glenn, they didn't. But thanks for reminding me...

MIKETNVOL79 writes:

Well at least one team played with some emotion.

burpee_von_rotweiler_IV writes:

Congrats to Wyoming.

kabul_vol writes:

UT was a 26 pt favorite? Don't get me wrong, I clearly thought UT would win. I was thinking maybe 24-10 or something. But 26 pts? I guess the bookies thought UT would be angry and fight like heck and blow out Wyoming.

The sad truth is that I don't think UT could blow out anyone these days. Certainly not any I-A teams.

firefulmer (Inactive) writes:

Let's see....hasn't TN become the team one should beat?? For five years, I have said that we were slowly becoming the team that others will schedule home openers with or on homecoming. For five years, I have said that Fulmer had ruined our program. It's over! We'll never catch up to FLA, GA, BAMA, CAROLINA. I hope all of you stupid, idiotic Fulmer supporters are happy!

loudmouthofthesouth (Inactive) writes:

in response to shoalcreekvol:

I thought the dagger was pushed in all the way, but then Wyoming twisted it:

"He kind of threw me the ball - I just jumped a little bit.''

Darn right, shoalcreek. We'll forget about this loss in a matter of weeks or months. They might be legends in their own minds and in dusty towns across that God-forsaken state, but they're legends all the same. Congratulations to em.

tngilmer writes:

I am just waiting to hear from the Fulmer supporters who said that releasing him was a mistake. What do you say now? Clearly he no longer can coach on this level. At least he saved some other program from making the mistake of taking a flyer on him by this debacle today.

volcop writes:

sorriest bunch of guys I've ever seen put on a Tennessee jersy. I agree with one poster that said they need to take the "T" off the helmet until they earn it.

volcop writes:

#1 in 1998; #115 in 2008

dowdpat#654244 writes:

Is Fulmer man enough to go on "Vol Calls" or will he have one of his famous previous engagements that he can't make it. Lock the players out of the complex this week and make them lift weights at the HYPER with the regular students.

DannyVol writes:

Get that stupid, embarassing tub of lard off the sidelines--now! Phillip Fulmer Appreciation Day my @#$!!!

Vicky Fulmer tried to get her husband to retire after the Fiesta Bowl BCS Championship in Jan. '99 and his only reponse was...not about the passion of competing...but about the fact that he could not make as much money doing anything else. She knew Cutcliffe was leaving for Ole Miss and that her husband had been hiding behind Cutcliffe and a ton of talent for years.

Ten years later, no Cutcliffe and 1/4 of the talent...and we lose to 27 point underdog Wyoming (3-6) at home.

Fire Hamilton too!!!

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

yeh, you can't fuss about this one much. a big deal for the wyoming boys, and damn, those kids needed something positive.

guys, our season has boiled down to ths: we have HORRIBLE qb play. I guess it was telling that we could NOT hook a 5-star to replace Ainge, and our judgement on the others (stephens, crompton, and mabye bj??) was poor. I mean, hell, a backup QB does NOT have to be god's gift to athletics, just be able to manage a game and hit the open receiver.

Anybody remember Darryl DickeY? Rick Clausen??? Perfect examples of BACKUPS who could do a few things right. To be honest, I've seen NOTHING from Crompton or Stephens to make me think they can win games.

govols22231 writes:

wow way to go clawson, look what you have turned our offense into

stelo24 writes:

Well I am at a loss for words!!!!

cltvol writes:

in response to volintexas:

Fulmer to Clawson: I wish I could quit you.

tx - that ain' right LOL

blitzshoot writes:

How much money did Wyoming pay UT yesterday for the game.?

THEKIDWISCONSIN writes:

Wow...I thought this would be an angry Vols team that would run of three straight and make it to a .com bowl...was i wrong.

Is is any clearer that the offensive scheme is the main culprit here? Not the only thing (I like Coach Fulmer, but i'm all for and excited for the staff change at the end of the year), but the main reason?

You could tell from the UCLA game that the offense just didn't get this scheme dreamed up by a subdivison coordinator. And 10 games later the offense looks just as lost.

So disappointing...

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to kabul_vol:

I missed my prediction on this game miserably. I actually thought they would play well for the fat guy.

MarbleVol48 writes:

in response to WhitePineVol2nd:

Say it Again White Pine! Play Eric Berry, Dennis Rogan, Robert Ayers, Wes Brown, and all new faces.

dirtywhiteboy writes:

i have always heard the phrase "hitting rock bottom" but don't think that i had ever actually seen this rock bottom thing. well, i think it's safe to say that i have not seen rock bottom and this team is there. vandy will probably make another dvd right after they lay a good dawg whoopin' on us like they did back in '05. perish the thought!!!

westennvol writes:

Congrats to Wyoming, an undertalented team that REALLY wanted to win. We are an undertalented team that DIDNT.

westennvol writes: