After Fulmer: UT coach search sightings (Updated 11/29)

In this July 28, 2007, file photo, then-Oakland Raiders coach Lane Kiffin talks to his players during the Raiders' NFL football training camp in Napa, Calif.

Photo by AP Photo / Dino Vournas, File

Did UT make the right choice in Lane Kiffin as football coach?

See the results »

View previous polls »

The hottest topic in town is who will replace Phillip Fulmer at Tennessee. Just look at the newspaper, turn on the radio and browser the blogs.

We're out to give GoVolsXtra readers the latest in coach sightings right up until the press conference to announce the next head coach of the Volunteers no matter who has the story. Check this list often; we'll be adding to it.

If you know of a "coach search sighting" we need to have on our list, please let us know by emailing us. And to those of you who have been sending tips, thanks! They are greatly appreciated.

Nov. 29

Nov. 11, 2008

Powered by Publish2

Related Links

utallvol writes:

1st

Trifecta_Storm writes:

I think it should be Leach. He has a more proven record to me than does Davis. Well guess what ?? We are getting a new coach next year anyway. Go Vols

tnbigg writes:

Anybody being mentioned would never turn in the worst season record in Tennessee football history. That spot can only be owned by one man...and own it he does...

utallvol writes:

lets get started on a new era

orangebloodgmc writes:

Y'all, I am NOT actively pursuing this job. I expect to stay right where I am. Thanks anyway.

VolsInYourMouth writes:

I hope it's Leach but I do think that Davis wouldn't be a bad choice either. Sheez, any coach should be able to do better than what Fulmer has done this year!!!! Fulmer has been a good coach who has done some great things at UT but it's time and I'm glad he's gone. Bring on the new coach and new season!!!

Go VOLS!!!

Mr_Man52 writes:

bugman (Inactive) writes:

this guys winning percentage stinks. are you kidding me??? He also looks like Vince Gill...if we take this guy over butch davis or lane kiffin someone needs to be fired!

TommyJack writes:

in response to bugman:

You broght up %. Sooooo, you like Kiffin's winning % ?

Volunatic writes:

I saw Gerry DiNardo eating a bean burrito at Taco Bell on the Strip yesterday. I also saw Woody Widenhofer jogging down 17th St, but he kind of looked like he was being chased by muggers. Oh yeah, and Ray Goff was returning a pair of shoes at WalMart in South Knox the day before yesterday.

Volunatic writes:

I volunteer to coach florida, and would do it for only a couple hundred thousand a year. I promise they would stink in no time.

VolInColorado writes:

Chris Petersen from Boise State is the guy we should be talking to...

NO_DIGGITY writes:

in response to TommyJack:

You broght up %. Sooooo, you like Kiffin's winning % ?

Mike Leach 75-37 .670
Butch Davis 86-65 .570
Lane Kiffen 5-15 .333

Davis numbers do include stint with the Browns. He is around .670 in College. I like Davis and Leach, it just depends if we want a more conventional offense Davis brings or an exciting offense Leach brings. Leach would probably put the best atheletes on offense and have a weaker defense. Ask Will Muschamp and Mack Brown how that worked out.

RoyaltyVol writes:

My Top 5

1) Jon Gruden- TB Bucs
2) Butch Davis- UNC
3) Bob Stoops- OU
4) Chris Peterson- Boise St
5) Bill Cower

*If I had a 6th pick it would be Mike Leach- TTU

I would take any of these coaches

BigOrangeVol writes:

I like Leach too but there are things that worry me:

1. Only 7 players in the NFL in his 8 years at TTU.
2. Only one All-American
3. Only two Second team All-Americans
4. His run/pass ratio is 4:1.
5. His Defense against the Run is usually pitiful.
6. His ability to sign top recruits (even in Texas) is poor.
7. He has only had one 5-star recruit in eight years and only averages three 4-stars, twelve 3-stars and eight 2-stars.

bugman (Inactive) writes:

in response to TommyJack:

You broght up %. Sooooo, you like Kiffin's winning % ?

college & pros can't be compared...

VolInColorado writes:

Chris Petersen's record:
31-3, including a win over OU in a BCS bowl game;
.912 winning percentage
currently undefeated
This with Boise State.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to tnbigg:

How many stars can a man have in his crown?

Did you see poor ol' JoePa being toted out of the press box?

VolsInYourMouth writes:

in response to BigOrangeVol:

I like Leach too but there are things that worry me:

1. Only 7 players in the NFL in his 8 years at TTU.
2. Only one All-American
3. Only two Second team All-Americans
4. His run/pass ratio is 4:1.
5. His Defense against the Run is usually pitiful.
6. His ability to sign top recruits (even in Texas) is poor.

You bring up some very good points....hmmm

tnbigg writes:

Good overview:

On YouTube there are a couple of grainey videos from the Wyoming debacle...but 70 - 75,000 attendance would be a good guess...

Razzle writes:

in response to VolInColorado:

Chris Petersen's record:
31-3, including a win over OU in a BCS bowl game;
.912 winning percentage
currently undefeated
This with Boise State.

I like Petersen also.

JBruce writes:

2 Reason's why it should be Mike Leach:

1)Offensive Wiz. He runs a high-powered, innovative offense (#1 offense in the nation 5 out of the last 6 years).

2)He gets the most out of his players. Let's face it, Tennessee is not exactly fertile recruiting soil. Ultimately, the reason why Fulmer was successful during the 90's was because he was recruiting the top players nationally.
In this era however, out of state recruiting has become much more difficult. According to Rivals.com, 59 out of the top 100 recruits in the nation have verbally committed. Out of those 59 committments, 47 are staying within their home state. In down economic times, more and more kids will have to go to school closer to home.

I bring this up because I think that a coach with a solid offensive system, that can make the most of the talent that he has, is more important than someone that you hope will be able to recruit. An exciting offense, will attract recruits, especially at a program like Tennessee.

Just some food for thought.

spvol writes:

I saw Elvis at Shoney's buffet.

Sheepscape writes:

in response to BigOrangeVol:

I like Leach too but there are things that worry me:

1. Only 7 players in the NFL in his 8 years at TTU.
2. Only one All-American
3. Only two Second team All-Americans
4. His run/pass ratio is 4:1.
5. His Defense against the Run is usually pitiful.
6. His ability to sign top recruits (even in Texas) is poor.

Allow me to respectfully disagree and offer another perspective on your points.

First, the fact he is able to perform decently well in years past and VERY well this year with so few players making to the NFL is a plus, not a negative. It indicates real coaching acumen, rather than relying on raw talent as Fulmer has done.

Secondly, he does recruit well for Lubbock. The ESPN piece Saturday morning demonstrated how desolate that place is. Knoxville, and the state of TN-while not a recruiting hotbed, does border many states and is within a short drive of them. He can do well here.

One last thing, and please don't take it the wrong way, but your points seem to tout personal achievements(NFL players, All-Americans, and top recruits) over team achievements. I believe our fan base is finally realizing that such top personal accolades mean nothing without a solid team concept. No more Kelly Washington's for me thanks.

Just how well are the highly touted recruits the Vols currently have working out? The 05 class comes to mind. We constantly recruit in the top 20 according to the overblown recruiting-obsessed magazines and websites, but what do the Vols have to show for it? No top ten finishes since 01, and not nearly enough top twenty finishes...if you accept those initial recruiting ranks as having initial worth.

Give me coach that can coach, rather than just recruit and blindly hope they pan out. That is what the Vols have had.

My two cents.

uwdawg25#557404 writes:

Good golly!!! Sure wish UT had the GUTS to get him here NO MATTER what.. we can too.. its just sad that we will pass him by cause of the conservative donors.. Please good gosh bring in Leach. I want him to be big with the Vol Navy(Pirate style) no more sissy stuff, and I want some mean looking players(tatted up, with face paint, crazy hair cuts) I want some excitment brought to this REALLY boring program I have had to deal with my whole life here... The last excitement here was Dale Carter!!!

JBruce writes:

in response to Sheepscape:

Allow me to respectfully disagree and offer another perspective on your points.

My two cents.

Amen to all the above!!!

NO_DIGGITY writes:

in response to spvol:

I saw Elvis at Shoney's buffet.

I saw a Werewolf drinking a Pina Collada at Trader Vic's, and his hair was perfect.

1. Leach or Davis.
2. Peterson
3. Kiffen
4. Naffy or Hiresanders
5. Gruden or Cowher

VolInColorado writes:

besides the fact that he did not get a contract extension in the off-season, someone give a reason why Leach would leave TTU for UT. It's taken him 9 years to get where he is right now...

smokeylaw06 writes:

in response to Volunatic:

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Tomato Head

His hair was perfect

gobigorange8464 writes:

in response to NO_DIGGITY:

1. Leach or Davis.
2. Peterson
3. Kiffen
4. Naffy or Hiresanders
5. Gruden or Cowher

Ahhwooooo... Werewolves of Knoxville, Ahwooooo!

JBruce writes:

in response to VolInColorado:

1) Lubboch, Texas is a disaster to try to sell to a recruit.
2) There is no comparison facility wise. Tennessee has far better facilities.
3) Tech will always play second fiddle to the Longhorns.
4) Tennessee job will pay more.

NO_DIGGITY writes:

in response to VolInColorado:

As Jed Clampett would say, we could offer him some of them new kind of dollars. I think they are called "milleeon" dollars. He makes about 1.7 at Texas Tech, I say we could double that to about 3.4 Million.
Google (Mike Leach New York Times) and read the article. The man is eccentric, but has a brillant offensive mind. He says he puts players in the right positions to make plays (like Claswon) only he goes out and executes.

VolInColorado writes:

in response to JBruce:

1) Lubboch, Texas is a disaster to try to sell to a recruit.
2) There is no comparison facility wise. Tennessee has far better facilities.
3) Tech will always play second fiddle to the Longhorns.
4) Tennessee job will pay more.

sounds like 4 pretty good reasons to me. I still prefer Petersen.

I saw the Bear... NAH!!

volguy41nlouisiana writes:

in response to VolInColorado:

Chris Petersen's record:
31-3, including a win over OU in a BCS bowl game;
.912 winning percentage
currently undefeated
This with Boise State.

Impressive record...but I think most coaches could do that. Heres their schedule this year...whewwwwww..power houses

2008 Boise State Football Schedule

DATE TEAM LOCATION

Aug. 30 Idaho State Boise, Idaho

Sept. 13 Bowling Green Boise, Idaho

Sept. 20 @Oregon Eugene, Ore.

Oct. 1 Louisiana Tech Boise, Idaho (ESPN)

Oct. 11 @Southern Miss Hattiesburg, Miss.

Oct. 17 Hawaii Boise, Idaho (ESPN)

Oct. 24 @San Jose State San Jose, Calif. (ESPN2)

Nov. 1 @New Mexico State Las Cruces, N.M.

Nov. 8 Utah State Boise, Idaho

Nov. 15 @Idaho Moscow, Idaho

Nov. 22 @Nevada Reno, Nev.

Nov. 28 Fresno State Boise, Idaho (ESPN2

NO_DIGGITY writes:

in response to smokeylaw06:

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Tomato Head

His hair was perfect

You mention Ray Goff, I was living in Atlanta when GA fans were running him off. Goff is originally from Moultrie, GA. He lost to South Carolina and a Bumper Sticker was soon printed. It read "If you can't beat the Poultry send him back to Moultrie."

By the way, I saw Bill Battle counting the money he has made from college merchandising since leaving Tennessee. He was laughing at the names Haslam and Thornton.

Hire Mike Leach, he and Bruce Pearl would bring more publicity to UT than any other coaching tandem.

NO_DIGGITY writes:

in response to gatorzz:

Who helped boost him up into his seat? Must have been Lil bros Tommy and Jeff.

WhitePineVol77 writes:

I saw a skeleton on Halloween...could it have been Bear Bryant?

Oenoboy writes:

After researching all the candidates' past records and circumstances, Brian Kelly is on the top of my "realistic" hope list. Like Bruce Pearl, he's been a winner everywhere he goes and brings a great deal of energy to his programs. The big unknown is his ability to recruit nationally but that was the big concern about Pearl as well. He seems to have the greatest upside of any name I've seen. Everyone else seems to be somewhat damaged goods.

Butch Davis is up there as well but the move does not make sense for him. He makes over $2M a year and the only pressure he is under is getting to some sort of bowl game every year. Considering has recently battled cancer, living in that area is a big plus. Add to that the fact his family is already well entrenched in the Chapel Hill community and loves it, I just don't see it happening. There simply is no benefit to him.

Leach? Not the right fit IMO. He has an average at best winning percentage in the Big 12 and the last thing I want to see on Saturdays is his version of flag football in Neyland Stadium. Sure it may be fun for a while but eventually the success of it would go the way of Hal Mumme. Texas Tech will offer him a huge raise after this season anyways and money goes a long ways in Lubbock.

Check Kelly out here...

NLW1 writes:

Jerry Green has moved back to Knoxville, and so has Johnny Majors. What about any of the Dickey boys?

Volunatic writes:

Kyle Whittingham just asked me if there was an LDS Church within walking distance of Neyland Stadium. I told him that it was very close, on Clinch Ave. He also asked if I knew of an energetic candidate for OC who knows UT, and I gave him Trooper Taylor's phone #.

Volunatic writes:

in response to WhitePineVol77:

I saw a skeleton on Halloween...could it have been Bear Bryant?

No, Kate Moss.

DaveVol writes:

What are the thoughts on Mike Nolan? I know he comes from a football family, but other than the niners I know nothing about him?

GreerVol22 writes:

I saw Johnny M on Alcoa Hwy

MANVOL writes:

Tech announced Monday that about 1,000 tickets remain for the team's regular-season finale on Nov. 29 against Baylor.

If the VOLS had a winning season not to mention being undefeated that just beat the 1 team there wouldn't be one ticket to be had.

thevoice writes:

in response to VolInColorado:

Chris Petersen from Boise State is the guy we should be talking to...

AGREED!!!!

MANVOL writes:

Passion of the Fans is how we get Leach here and we dont have to offer him 4 million like Hyamms is saying we will pay Davis, unless leach wins the NC. Who the hell is hyamms anyway? He has been wrong about our program. He has spinning he truth concerning the state of the program for years, well until we lost to Wyoming. Welcome aboard Hyamms.

murrayvol writes:

in response to Sheepscape:

Allow me to respectfully disagree and offer another perspective on your points.

My two cents.

IMO that post is worth considerably more than 2 cents.

thevoice writes:

in response to volguy41nlouisiana:

2008 Boise State Football Schedule

DATE TEAM LOCATION

Aug. 30 Idaho State Boise, Idaho

Sept. 13 Bowling Green Boise, Idaho

Sept. 20 @Oregon Eugene, Ore.

Oct. 1 Louisiana Tech Boise, Idaho (ESPN)

Oct. 11 @Southern Miss Hattiesburg, Miss.

Oct. 17 Hawaii Boise, Idaho (ESPN)

Oct. 24 @San Jose State San Jose, Calif. (ESPN2)

Nov. 1 @New Mexico State Las Cruces, N.M.

Nov. 8 Utah State Boise, Idaho

Nov. 15 @Idaho Moscow, Idaho

Nov. 22 @Nevada Reno, Nev.

Nov. 28 Fresno State Boise, Idaho (ESPN2

Sounds like Urban Meyer (pre-UF) to me.

iowavol writes:

What a POS article.

jimr07 writes:

Brian Billic was asked what was the 16th state admitted to the union and he said, "Tennessee." Is this a omen?