Receiver Jones hopes Hamilton makes a good hire

Who do you think should be Tennessee's starting quarterback against Vanderbilt?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Nearly two weeks after Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer's ouster, some players remain angry with athletic director Mike Hamilton's decision.

Asked Sunday if he has faith that Hamilton will make a good hire, Jones said, "I sure hope so. If not, he's going to have a whole bunch of people mad at him. Well, he already has a lot of people mad at him. He better make that up. He better make it up.

"I really don't have too many things to say to Mike Hamilton right now," Jones continued. "He took a lot of stuff away from me, something very valuable, and that's my head coach. Coach Fulmer's one of the main reasons why I came here, and he took it away. So for him doing that, I could care less."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2008, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

west_tn_volfan writes:

Who really cares what the players think or who they're mad at? If they had played better their coach would still have his job. These guys just lost to wyoming on homecoming so if they have a complaint they can join the rest of the Vol nation. We all have complaints.

utmdm writes:

Not as much as Hamilton hopes - It is his career move.

dowdpat#654244 writes:

I'd worry about your own actions, like not smoking dope in a car with a recruit while cruising around Fort Sanders.

woodwr#217203 writes:

Why doesn't the Starting QB poll include Gerald Jones?

His yards per play are better than the others who have played, and he is only 0-1-0 passing.

If he only throws a few good-as-a-punt up-for-grabs deep-passes, running all the remaining plays might beat Vanderbilt

LifeTimeVOL writes:

Jones and co. need to shut their mouths! There is no excuse for the way they have all behaved since the announcement came. It is not like they were having a stellar year and Fulmer got screwed. We are 3-7, and this is one of the worst football teams in the school's history. These outburst just show the lack of discipline and respect for authority this group has. Why doesn't they start playing with some pride on the field instead of running their mouths and whining like little babies! Go Vols, and thank goodness it's basketball season.

RealistVolFan writes:

Why should anybody, including KNS, give a care in the world what Gerald Jones, or any other player thinks for that matter.

Mike Hamilton will make a good hire, and if players are still upset after that, let them leave. Not one of them is as big as the program, and if they gotta problem with that...

Well dont let the door hit you on the way out.

UT_VOLS75 writes:

I dont get it... these guys should be excited about a new coach and helping TN get back to its winning tradition. This is no way for the players to be reacting. Jones maybe you just need to leave bubba because apparently your not a true Vol. I think Hamilton is a good AD and made a decision that had to be made.

Volumni writes:

Gerald Jones has talked all year, but hasn't backed it up. For him to call out Hamilton publicly? I think behind the scenes, the coaches have checked out. That may be understandable to a certain degree, but has anyone else noticed how vocal Jones has been this year and done little to nothing?

xvolx writes:

maybe that is why they are 3-7. all mouth.

txsvol#372416 writes:

There's an expression in Texas & Oklahoma (where Gerald comes from): "All hat and no cattle!" That pretty much explains our football team this year: They look good in their unforms, and talk a whole lot, but they haven't backed up their mouths on the football field. SAVol

jturne44 writes:

gerald you need to keep that mouth of yours shut...i normally post postitively, but you have not shown me anything...let me repeat that im from maryland and fridge probably wouldnt keep you...you care about fulmer so much?? well he obviously hasn't shown you how to run or kick return or punt return or anything in the sec...its called north to south...not line dancin...you can go to vandy for that man... learn how to back up your choice or talent first...i have officially turned ut football off for the season. It is way too close to the young and the restless...and i am nowhere near the age of 67

JTurner

newtonrail writes:

in response to LifeTimeVOL:

I just can't resist it with posts like this and the one following it about why is the KNS running this stuff--- I'm not saying you folks are wrong and this isn't about Fulmer anymore one way or the other. The easy one: the KNS runs it and all JA's stuff lately to sell papers, and get "hits" on this site. There, that was easy. The harder one is The Entitlement folks. Who are they? Actually all of us at times. The players and at least some of coaches, and news media think their status entitles them to rant and rave and "be a Man". Too much of this comes from Hood Mentality of TV and Movies, and unfortunately, in all too many cases reality. Mr. Jones came across in I'm a man form, coaches polish it up a bit, after all they've had the classes. News media types like to speak in third person a lot, but always(hear me JA) with the voice of Jehovah. " How dare those pip squeak players and coaches not talk to me?" Oh Yes, there's the Fans, Alumni, Boosters, etc. of which I'm one of all three. We sometimes shout in the threads or for real. (One of my son in laws is still Emailing daily with how sorry Fulmer is, and he's an Iowa, Iowa State, and Tenn grad--college profs need lots of degrees for some reason). Fulmer's been fired several weeks and I'm not argueing with him. Heck, I wanted Fulmer gone to East Carolina, and Majors retained. I wrote letters to Dickey, and later Majors at Pitt, and letters to Editor. I probably stomped around some, which led to losing Wife #2. Didn't get Majors back though.
And yes, I'm thankful it's BB season. I enjoyed watching those thunder dunks. I can actually holler there, since my wife can't fuss about it like when I holler at the TV. But folks when those players are pulling on their jersey, pounding their chest, shaking their head like my dog does to get rid of water, it's EXACTLY the same thing Gerald Jones was pushed into by this reporter. You want to talk about lack of discipline. You are right. I just went to my 45th High School reunion in KTown, and saw a couple of our former BBallers. I know this is 2008, but in 1963 the Ron Widby's, Vic Arwood's, Jerry Cannon's of the world would not have chest bumped, high fives, etc. Now that's pretty tame, But you tell me, where do you draw the line so when The Gerald Jones' of our University are pushed by adversity, they won't jump the wrong way.

carsontwin writes:

The players have a right to be mad at the whole situation, but what the hell can you do about it? Not a damn thing. Whats done is done. Yal had chances to prove that yal are winners and so did Coach Fulmer, but it never happened. So, somebody has to take the load and thats how it goes. Hamilton will pick a damn good coach to turn this team around but the players need to back him up and get this team on the right track. Tenn. is a winning team and has always been and it should never get like this again. To much pride and commitment and great players here to see a season go to phooey.

OMike writes:

Sure they have a right to be mad, but keep it to yourself. They need (well Jones, can't assume all are voicing their opinions) to man up. There are kids younger getting shot at and losing their coaches for real half way around the world with no fan fare. This is life. Practice hard and quit talking like your in grade school. The earth does not revolve around you or anybody for that matter. Let it go or hit the road, but you want learn much leaving. (lifes lessons that is)

OMike writes:

I reread his statement again. It's not about Fulmer, it's all about me. What they took from me. No one owes you Jack. Typical me me attitude. I could say more but have to remember he's just a kid.

MustangPackage101 writes:

Gerald has a lot of growing up to do... on the field and especially off of it. Does he think his opinions matter in what has happened and what will happen with our program? I really hope he doesn't think he is as big as this program, he hasn't done anything all year besides a couple of td catches agains UAB. Gerald, tell someone who cares.

CrankE writes:

Actually Gerald, the correct way to say it is, "I could NOT care less."

Example:
I couldn't care less what players on a 3-7 team think of the University's decision to fire/retire/be rid of Coach Phil Fulmer. I couldn't care less if those players all packed up and left.

zqvol writes:

in response to UT_VOLS75:

Maybe they know more than the so called fans realize.

mpm80#1357758 writes:

sissys opinions dont matter and thats how ut plays and act like a bunch of spoiled sissys

Urbiewerecomingtogetyou writes:

" Coach Fulmer's one of the main reasons why I came here"
And you're one of the main reasons he's gone.

c4ftball#399849 writes:

mr. jones i gave mike hamilton two thumbs up for this move its the happiest ive been in a while knowing coach fulmer wont be back. MR. Jones I honestly think you are scared of the new coach coming in along with a few other players because theres always that chance that you wont fit in the system or that he might see what a bunch of other people see in that you are possiably the most sorriest overrated reciever in the SEC and you have no business putting on that uniform anymore if you are gonna stick your nose up in the air to the new coach. I hope he kicks your tail back to where ever you came from along with a few others.

tennecwingrider writes:

Me, I, My, etc. etc.

BigVolOnBoard writes:

You see here exactly why Fulmer was fired, the team was run by the players and not the coach.

If CPF has any cahones about him, he will bench the G-gun for badmouthing the university.

ATLVOL1 writes:

in response to LifeTimeVOL:

THAT'S SPOT ON.... THIS PROGRAM IS MACRO MANAGED RIGHT NOW AND NEEDS DISCIPLINE.

rockytopron writes:

Regardless of what anyone says or does forward, the question for me is Mike Hamiliton's seat warm yet? If he doesn't hire a coach who turns things around should he be next in line to go? What if next season UT finishes 5-7 and the following year finishes 7-5? What if UT finishes 4-8 the next two years?

To me, this guy is a snake in the grass and I don't trust him at all.

BIGEJ writes:

Until all players play to their recruited hype (except those injured), stay off the dope head wagon, and go to class/pass class to "pay" for their full ride, they just need to keep their mouths closed and play to their recruited hype (except those injured), stay off the dope head wagon, and go to class/pass class to "pay" for their full ride.

copan07#220906 writes:

We got beat by Wyoming............Urban Meyer scored 56 points on the best defense in the league. Hamilton's decision had to be done.

blitzshoot writes:

"I could care less"
Pretty much sums it the leadership and attitude of this team and head coach. Nothing like the "lay down and quit" that produced the worst record in UT history.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to Urbiewerecomingtogetyou:

" Coach Fulmer's one of the main reasons why I came here"
And you're one of the main reasons he's gone.

Actually Jones has played up to par in my opinion. This is a coaching problem and the fans and players have been trapped in the middle. Tennessee fans are spoiled. This bad year will be good for fan resilience. Next couple of years could be terrible. I just dont understand why coaches are not given a low base salary and a bonus for wins over key competitors. Seems like they would be inspired to do the job and not just make excuses when they get beat.

smoky50 writes:

Why was this even entertained as an article? Who cares what "G Gun" thinks. Had they played better maybe they would still have their coach. I say replace some of the players with the coach if they have a problem with the coaching change.

spencer1989#206886 writes:

With the way several (not all) of them have played they do not deserve to wear the uniform...Much less the free education that they are getting. It's been all B.S. talk all season, no preparation, poor coaching, and major disappointment on the field. When Jones can understand that, he will understand why Hamilton made the decision he did. When I watched the homecoming game, it appeared (I repeat appeared) that the players threw the game deliberately out of protest or resentment. Playing like that is NOT Tennessee football.

rockytop4ever writes:

I can understand Jones is upset but Fulmer had to go. You cant blame Jones for the coach getting canned. He was one of the only players that decided to show up this year. He should be mad at those guys sitting around him.....and I agree this is a make it or break it point for Hamilton. I still think it will be Kelly. GO VOlS!

Not that I disagree with many of the sentiments expressed here today, but the combination of being 20 years old and being treated like a super-star all of one's life is not a recipe for a high degree of emotional intelligence. Of course it is all about them! It is their commitment to come here, to sacrifice all their time and their opportunity to cultivate other interests, and their futures--all that seems, in their necessarily short-term view, to be up in the air at this time. At some level, I'm sure Jones and the others know that their performance, on and off the field, was a main reason why the coach they claim to love has been dismissed. That is a pretty tough thing for anyone to own up to. I'm pretty sure most of us wouldn't want to be quoted when we expressed our feelings about our various disappointments in life. We can surely hope that they learn to handle theirs better, but much of what I have read today is unrealistic piling-on of a frustrated, confused, disappointed young man.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

errr, Gerald, just a small chance the team might have contributed a little to you "having my coach taken away".

Blocking and WR seperation, catching the ball, no DL push, 9 yd DB drops, etc, just a thought.

Oh, and Phil's coaching decisions contributed mightily to his being in a position to be "taken away".

DennisVols writes:

Instead of being mad at M.H. maybe they should look inside their own self. If this team had played up to their collective potiential on the field and not made such idoits of themselves off the field Coach Fulmer would still have a job. M.H. did what he had to do given the situation the players on this team had a large part of creating

nyyvol21#669431 writes:

It just shows that like Fulmer these kids are losers. All talk.

hallsguy writes:

G-gun's comments point to the oft noted lack of discipline on the team.If the players cannot speak as a unit,they need to not speak at all.Fulmer is of course responsible for the discipline and he is well known for mollycoddling his stars and giving umpteen chances.Lack of discipline on Fulmer's teams goes way back-it is not a new thing.
A talk like G-gun's under the Meyer,Saban or Spurrier regime would have his little a** riding pine or riding off to the sunset in a hurry.

MANVOL writes:

I remember a couple basket ball players thought about transferring and Chris Lofton thnking about not comming here. Hmm, how did that work out for them?

1982_35_28 writes:

Note to all Tennessee football players, the media is looking to sell news and they will throw you under the bus to do so.

TommyJack writes:

Man, back in the day.....kid would never get away with publicly dissing the A.D... Kid is mostly mouth, so far.

1982_35_28 writes:

...be wary of friendly KNS staff...they live for the controversial comment...

eefor10c writes:

AMAZING!!!!!!!!! Posters on this site telling someone to grow up. Look in the mirror.

TommyJack writes:

in response to APPLEJAX555:

Sorry, couldn't disagree with you more.

DoubleD writes:

This is the very reason that a replacement should have been made...GJones and the other "speaker athletes" do not have any discipline, character or guts. This is the same attitude that permeates within this country...ACCOUNTABILITY! We will see how much chatter these same players have once a determined coach is hired...hopefully, we can weed out this virus that Fulmer and his star assitants infected this program with.

THE_VOL writes:

A really odd attitude by Jones....he nor anybody else for that matter seemed to care about Fulmer during the Wyoming game???? Maybe all that "tude" is why GERALD JONES IS ABOUT TO BE RECORDED IN HISTORY AS ONE OF THE STARS ON THE WORST TEAM IN TENNESSEE FOOTBALL HISTORY! As my mama used to tell me when I threatened to run away - Don't let the door hit ya in the arse!!!!

THE_VOL writes:

Now...as for the next coach, here's the real deal that KNS just can't seem to get the info on.

It will NOT be a current NFL guy.

It will NOT be Butch Davis.

The top 3 candidates at the moment are (in no particular orders):

Brian Kelly - Mike Riley - Jim Harbaugh.

Don't care what you believe or think - those are the FACTS!

DoubleD writes:

THE_VOL writes:

It will NOT be a current NFL guy.

It will NOT be Butch Davis.

The top 3 candidates at the moment are (in no particular orders):

Brian Kelly - Mike Riley - Jim Harbaugh.

Don't care what you believe or think - those are the FACTS!

I think Kenny Chesney would make a great hire...No one on this board really knows who will be tabbed.

wagee12 writes:

Earth to Gerald Jones, guess what, in a few weeks the inmates are not going to be running the Nuthouse any longer. You guys can shape up or ship out and that is the feeling of the vast majority of rank and file Tennessee fans and boosters. Your head coach is about to set the record for most losses in a single season at Tennessee, if I were you, I'd shut my piehole and go out and try to prevent that from happening!

VolinCalif writes:

The Vols were making a huge change, that my friends was the reason for this poor season. I'm not supporting PF, he should have looked for a new OC all the time Cut wa here. But these players just couldn't adjust to the new system well enough to run it against the Comp. here in the SEC, that takes a while. I also know we lost to WY, not a SEC team. The kids had already failed the test and couldn't hold their heads up. And that is where the coaches failed them. You have to pump kids ,adults too, when things are not so good.

mjaichele writes:

in response to DoubleD:

THE_VOL writes:

It will NOT be a current NFL guy.

It will NOT be Butch Davis.

The top 3 candidates at the moment are (in no particular orders):

Brian Kelly - Mike Riley - Jim Harbaugh.

Don't care what you believe or think - those are the FACTS!

I have said many times, Mike Riley would be an excellent choice. He played for the "Bear", beats USC with half the talent, and will be able to recruit Alabama again. He is one of the most respected coaches in football, and the program would be run the right way without the distractions of thug players.