Lady Vols hold off Chattanooga, 66-63

Last-minute heroics by Baugh

CHATTANOOGA — Being back on the women’s basketball court wasn’t enough for Vicki Baugh Friday night.

The sophomore forward’s return from reconstructive knee surgery was dramatic in itself. Thanks to her two key plays in the final minute, her comeback turned out to be triumphant as well.

Baugh’s block and follow-up free throw with 53.7 seconds left gave the Lady Vols the lead for good as they scrambled from behind for a 66-63 victory over Chattanooga before a crowd of 7,008 at McKenzie Arena.

Baugh, who suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in her left knee during the national championship game last April, helped seal the outcome by pulling down a huge offensive rebound with 3.7 seconds left.

The last-minute heroics made up for her four missed free throws — three in the final minute — and her four fouls. They also helped ease the physical discomfort she was feeling.

“I’m not going to lie; there was some pain,’’ said Baugh, referring to her knee. “It’s something I’m going to have to play through.”

The outcome had a similar affect on Tennessee (2-1), which survived a barrage of nine Chattanooga 3-pointers as well as a second-half stretch of six minutes, 34 seconds during which UT didn’t score a basket.

Tennessee, which led by 10 in the second half, trailed 58-50 with 8:08 remaining after a 19-1 scoring run by Chattanooga. The Lady Vols still faced a 61-56 deficit with 5:37 remaining.

And after UT’s determined rally, the outcome wasn’t safe until Chattanooga forward Megan Rollins couldn’t inbound the basketball and called a timeout with 3.7 seconds left when the Lady Mocs had none left.

“I’m looking at this and trying to figure out how we won this game,’’ UT coach Pat Summitt said. “They didn’t quit. They certainly didn’t quit on the defensive end.”

By that she was referring to the Lady Vols holding Chattanooga (1-1) scoreless after Shanara Hollinquest’s layup with 3:24 left.

“We just came together and played tough defense,’’ Baugh said, “like we should have the whole game.’’

Forward Glory Johnson led Tennessee with 19 points and 13 rebounds. Six of her rebounds came on the offensive end, where Tennessee forged a crucial 22-11 edge.

Hollinquest scored 17 for Chattanooga. Bailey Dewart added 12, swishing four treys.

“You get a chance like this, you hate to let it slip away,’’ Chattanooga coach Wes Moore said.

The game featured 50 total fouls with play slowed to a near-crawl at times. Despite a 30-20 edge in the calls, UT shot a miserable 53.5 percent (23 for 43) at the free throw line. The Lady Vols missed five total attempts in the final minute.

“We’re just going to have to get in the gym more and shoot free throws,’’ Baugh said. “Like coach said, there’s no excuse for that.”

Chattanooga, on the other hand, shot 16-for-17 at the line to minimize the free-throw scoring disparity. The Lady Mocs went for the win with their 3-pointers.

“That was about the most miserable defense a team can play when it comes to playing the 3 ball,’’ Summitt said.

She blamed herself for UT’s effort.

“I have to take full responsibility,’’ she said. “I haven’t done a good job of making them close out on threes.”

Tennessee, meanwhile, shot just 1-for-11 on 3-point attempts. But that one was huge with Alicia Manning scoring from the corner for a 63-all tie with 1:21 left.

“That probably gave them the lift they needed to finish the job,’’ Moore said.

And for all that they didn’t do, the Lady Vols did come up with a worthy closing act.

“We found a way to win,’’ Summitt said. “I’m never going to overlook that.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2008, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

tnbigg writes:

Way to go Lady Vols! Keep it rollin'!

xvolx writes:

defense needs a lot of work. free throw shooting terrible. frosh. mistakes. hope they mature fast. someone teach fuller how to block out on boards. bright spot is they put up a fight in last six minutes.

eduardo writes:

Yeah thanks for making us miss the first 7 minutes of real basketball!

utang1602#204610 writes:

in response to eduardo:

Yeah thanks for making us miss the first 7 minutes of real basketball!

If the game was that important to you, you could have gotten in your car, driven to Murfreesboro, and watched it.

Since you didn't, obviously--get over it.

matrosscbc writes:

Chattanooga has a good program...they aren't dogs

blitzshoot writes:

Its a victory. Good job ladies!

GoVols133 writes:

Lets just keep it real, finally the men are going to have a better overall record this year. UNBELIEVABLE

BigOrangeVol writes:

No perimeter defense, no perimeter scoring, awful rebound positioning, lack of communication on Defense, only two players in double figures scoring, 34% from the field, 53% from the line, 9% from the arc, played even ball in the second half… I smell Freshmen!

I do think that we are loaded with talent but that was painful to watch. I’m confident that Pat will teach them how to play as a team but the growing pains this season, especially against experienced teams, will be tough.

ps11824 writes:

eduardo, please be so kind to not waste your time on a Women's basketball forum. You obviously hate the women's game so WHY ON EARTH do you bother logging in.

xvolx, you sound like a broken record. Would it kill you to accentuate the positive?

Personally, I thought the team pulled out a tremendous win tonight. I knew going in that Wes would have his Mocs raring at the bit to smack the Lady Vols. They are a good fundamental basketball team. Wes Moore is a seasoned fine coach. He has brought his club up in the ranks consistently and has become a perennial post season contestant.

Think about it folks. I've been to Lady Moc games when there was not 700 in attendance. Tonight we saw Mackenzie Arena full of Tennessee women's basketball fans on a bitter cold night in Chattanooga. The Mocs had their faithful few and the Lady Vols had an awesome Orange-clad crowd cheering them on to victory. Our young'uns took the lead, lost it, got dow by 8 points or so, went cold as the pavement on I75, could not sink a freebie, BUT, they did not give up. Vicki Baugh was back and she was fired up. I just love that kid. They will learn to play Lady Vol basketball.

By the way, xvolx, what was that you were saying about Brewer and Manning having no fire? I saw them bringing the wood tonight. I was extremely happy to see the determination in Manning's eyes. She was driving to the paint with confidence. Give them their props, for pete's sake. We won the game.

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

There is good and bad with this.

Good: we have all these freshmen getting lots of experience. Next year, they can lead and blend in the newcomers.

Bad: we are going to get smoked in some games.

I hope we never end up in a situation like this again with NO junior class. Juniors give you that combination of maturity AND longevity (2 years, junior and senior seasons) to let you develop younger players more smoothly.

I grumbled about Pat's recruiting, tho I can't argue about the value of Bobbit or Auguste. What hurt is pulling in SIX new players at one time.

ps11824 writes:

mparker, I seldom disagree with your comments, so I won't start now. I do think we will be OK. Is Cait not a junior? Is Alex going to step up to the plate, or not? I think a big hurt for Pat's team right now is the uncertainty of Bjorkland and Cain. Smallbone is a shooter, but is she a liability on defense? Don't you agree Johnson and Stricklin are ballers? With a few more weeks of a steady diet of Pat Summitt, don't you think they will be ready to take on some tough opponents? Yes, I'm quite inquisitive tonight. Do you have some sage answers?

WeLoveTennesseeVols writes:

in response to eduardo:

Yeah thanks for making us miss the first 7 minutes of real basketball!

eduardo, eduardo, eduardo, you little tease you!!!

ladivolfan writes:

in response to uconnsux:

definition of moron: a person who thinks they know what they're talking about but really has no clue.

smokymtman writes:

Worst Lady Vol team for free throws I've seen in years...twenty missed free throws in this game! That won't cut it by any means. And one, yes ONE, three pointer made! Johnson seems to be the new Parker on this team but what has happened to Fuller? She was so promising her freshman year but seems to have flopped. Smallbone should be on the football team the way she plays ball. But the Lady Vols will bounce back next year. And don't sell the UTC gals short, they have a very good basketball team.

MIC writes:

in response to ps11824:

Cait is a redshirt Sophamore

xvolx writes:

in response to ps11824:

I'll go with my original comment. positives take care of themselves. It's the negatives one must keep an eye on, or they will remain negatives.

LadyVolFanForever writes:

I was there, it hurt to watch BUT we WON ! Having Vicki back was a real plus and Manning, Brewer and Gray came to play.
Patience is what we fans need as Pat will get them whipped into a TEAM but we will probably have some nasty losses on the way. The end result will be a team ready to play by the end of the season and ready to make a statement next year !

volfan2002 writes:

We just need to tough out a few games and get wins. Team will get better in practice if only they can keep winning until they learn how to play as a team better. Right now were far from a finished product.

knoxtenor writes:

Not a pretty game, but a W is as W. Our noobs have not learned to play the aggressive, physical game that Pat teaches. Many of them are still playing "girlie girl" high school ball. Problem is, most NCAA teams have finally learned to be aggressive from playing (i.e., losing to) Pat all these years. It's not enough to intimidate opponents anymore, not that there was much of that going on, either.

Great to have some experience (1 yr) back on the court with Vicki Baugh, even though it may take her awhile to get back up to speed. When Bjorkland gets back, I'm expecting a sea-change in the level of play... as well as an increase in the number of treys.

Keep improving, Ladies! You've got another month or so to feel things out before conference play starts. There'll be no more coddling after that.

in response to uconnsux:

Well, it is true that the men played in Murfreesboro and the women played in Chattanooga. However, I think that Eduardo, in his usual inarticulate way, was trying to say that the broadcast of the women's game delayed the start of the broadcast of the men's game. Therefore the suggestion that he drive to Murfreesboro if he was so concerned about missing a game of "real basketball" made some sense. It certainly made more sense than Eduardo's usual sexist drivel about women's basketball.

utang1602#204610 writes:

in response to uconnsux:

FYI, idiot--the comment about Murfreesboro was in reply to eduardo who was bothered that he missed the first 7 minutes of the "real" game, hence the men's game, which was in Murfreesboro.

I was at last night's game in Chattanooga and I know exactly what I'm talking about. Learn to follow a thread of comments and read before you pop off.

a_vol_in_ga writes:

I beleive it was the 96 team that lost 10 games and still won the NC-don't count these girls out-if there's one thing you should be able to count on is Pat Summit

richvol writes:

The Lady Vols need a playmaking point guard. McMahan is very inconsistent and misses too many shots and even free throws. Where was the other point guard last night? I didn't notice her on the floor...at least she can penetrate and dish.

The defense looked OK to me except defending the three. There was no lack of hustle.

mad_poly_uct writes:

in response to a_vol_in_ga:

It was the 96-97 team that went into the NCAA tourney as a #2 seed, and knocked off 33-0 Uconn in the reg. final on their way to the NC.I still wince at the mere thought of that slapdown!lol! Good luck rest of the way guys.

ps11824 writes:

Actually, madpoly, '96-'97 TN ranked #10/#11 (23-10) was a #3 seed in the Midwest Regional Iowa City bracket when they beat down Geno and his #1 undefeated squad of huskies 91-81, featuring Chamiqua Holdsclaws's 21 points and 11 rebound performance. The victory earned the Lady Vols a trip to Cincinnati to play Notre Dame in the semi-final game of the Final Four in which they defeated the Irish 80-66.

The match-up with UConn also showed the toughness of point guard, Kellie Jolly who was carried off the court of a Sub-Regional game vs Grambling in a wheelchair just 3 games prior with a seriously sprained ankle. She and The Healer, Jenny Mochak made a miraculous return to the court possible earning Moshak the status of 'the hottest name in Women's College Basketball.' Kellie scored a career high 19 points to show her gratitude. Senior, Pashen Thompson scored 14 points and classmate, Abby Conklin finished with 15. Tif Johnson grabbed 11 rebounds for the Lady Vols.

The regular season match-up with the huskies on Jan 5th in Hartford, CT sent an orange wave of doubt over the 8th-ranked Lady Vols fan base. Many so-called fans got down on the team and held out no hope when Pat's team followed the 72-57 UConn loss with an Old Dominion road loss of 83-72 against the 2nd-ranked Lady Monarchs. It was about this time Pat Summitt vowed to find a way to win 20 games.

The Lady Vols came back from near collapse emotionally to win 3 straight games only to drop a game to Kentucky for the first loss ever to the Wildcats. Fair weather fans began to doubt again the meddle of the Big Orange who would win 3 in a row before suffering the first ever loss to the gators before upsetting 4th-ranked Bama. TN finished the regular SEC season by losing to LSU after winning 8 games in a row. Pat's squad followed that with a road loss to La Tech in Ruston, limped into the SEC tournament and lost to Auburn in the semis.

The bottom line to this lengthy post is this: NEVER, EVER DOUBT PAT'S LADY VOLS!

Tee writes:

in response to smokymtman:

Please do not give Johnson anymore @#$@!. She is not Candace! She has already supposedly said she is better than Candace. No mouth, cocky or attitude needed...just bring it to the court. That kind of attitude is not needed. Be a team player! Candace is a classy player and is in no way arrogant--she is down to earth.

mad_poly_uct writes:

98....thank you, #3 it was, I stand corrected.LV team in March was much, much different than the team Uconn saw in the Hartford Civic Center in Jan. I completly agree with your last sentence as well. It's only Nov!

Okay, Butch, we get it, you and Eduardo and a few other Neanderthals think women should not be playing sports or at least that no one should pay any attention to them. So why, given the fact that there perhaps hundreds of thousands of people all across the country who care deeply about the Lady Vols, and have done so for years, do you think any of them, i.e., us, would change our minds just because of your outdated attitudes? If you don't in fact think you can change our minds, why do you bother posting on these threads? You are welcome to your opinion, but continuing to express it to this audience is only showing your contempt for us, so why should we respect your opinion? Go on back to your little "No gurlz aloud" club house and tell your fellow sexists what manly men you are because you don't like to watch ol' sweaty girls play ball.

budd#207344 writes:

in response to ButchIsBack:

Hey fred flinstone is it lonely there in your momma's basement?

ps11824 writes:

Tee, You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I don't know where you are coming from. Your post seems so bitter. Do you know this girl personally? If indeed you do, it's just not smart to be blasting her in this forum.

I haven't seen her do anything on the court or otherwise that is unbecoming a Lady Vol basketballer. She is very aggressive. That's a plus. She can make a play when she needs to. We need playmakers. She gets her teammates involved. That's the kind of team leadership Pat promotes. I want to give her props for coming out hustling for the ball, taking no prisoners and providing some excitement for the fans. I don't know who would say she is a Candace Parker. If she aspires to be a CP3 caliber baller, I say go for it, kiddo.

Maybe you could give her a little slack to learn from Pat Summitt and be patient along with the rest of us. Keep in mind Ms Parker had an entire season to sit on the sidelines beside Pat, Dean, Nikki and Holly to listen, watch and learn the Lady Vols way. I know a lot of Candace Parker wannabees. Why wouldn't a young baller want to be the best in the game?

in response to ps11824:

Well said, 98reax. When some guy says he wants to "be like Mike" for example, we think it's great he has such lofty goals. When a young woman says something like it, well, it's just not "lady-like" I guess.

utclassof1992 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

ps11824 writes:

I'm working on my next comic book. It's a sports story with a common thread featuring a couple of frowsy looking characters who have been thrown onto a court together to compete for the title of National Gossoon Grande. Each player, having implacable appetites for their own scumpy diatribe, is given equal playing time. One is called eduardo the other, butch. They are content to play their own kind of ball and the game never ends due to a glitch in the time clock. The end

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to ps11824:

98, I wish I were that bright.

A caveat: I have not seen a game yet. no internet games, not tv games.....just going by what I read.

I don't think Fuller has 'it'. She is a nice girl by all accounts, but not a hard-nosed player.

Similar for Cait; I think she has the will, but not the skills.

As for Angie: she fell apart a bit last year, Pat over-worked her. You know my feelings on that: MOST freshemn need a year of college training to really thrive (not all, but most). I think this is most true of women's bballers and male football players. IMHO, Pat has temper her desire to 'work'em to death' with the reality that these girls will burn out if she does.

So, 98, based on that, I see some tough losses. What I'm keen on seeing is how Pat handles it. I still think we have a good feb '09, and a decent NCAA (depending on the draw).

I know you've noticed some upsets and near upsets this season. We are ripe for that, but, hey, this is when the team needs US, the internet bloggers, the msot!!!

tennesseebee writes:

coach summitt, how much do u know about football?

bmaples writes:

in response to tennesseebee:

coach summitt, how much do u know about football?

Hmmm...

I think she could learn the football part. And it's obvious that she knows how to coach.

An intriguing thought ...