Gamecocks' QB coach likely joining UT staff

Tennessee's new coaching staff is starting to take shape.

South Carolina quarterbacks coach and recruiting coordinator David Reaves is expected to join Lane Kiffin at Tennessee, according to the Charleston (S.C.) Post and Courier.

Reaves, who is Kiffin's brother-in-law, will meet with South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier within the next 24 hours.

Tennessee is expected to introduce Kiffin as its new coach possibly by Monday.

According to the Post and Courier, the 29-year-old Reaves would likely become UT's quarterbacks coach.

Reaves, who was a three-year starter at quarterback and team captain at Appalachian State, has been with the Gamecocks full-time since 2004.

In 2005 and 2006, Reaves assisted Spurrier in coaching quarterbacks before taking over the quarterbacks full-time in spring of 2007.

Reaves was named Carolina's recruiting coordinator in February 2006 and helped the Gamecocks reel in a top-10 national recruiting class in 2007.

Reaves, who spent the 2003 season as assistant head coach at Tampa (Fla.) Catholic High School, also has been named one of Rivals.com's top 25 recruiters.

Since UT announced Nov. 3 that Phillip Fulmer would not return, South Carolina has put itself in good position with a pair of players who previously committed to Tennessee.

Safety D.J. Swearinger from Greenwood (S.C.) High has since committed to the Gamecocks, while South Carolina is a strong player for highly touted tailback Jarvis Giles from Gaither High in Tampa.

Reaves was a graduate assistant at Carolina from 2002-03 before assisting with defensive backs in 2004.

Reaves' father, John Reaves, was an All-American quarterback at Florida and coached with Spurrier at Florida (1990-92, 1994) and also coached at South Carolina (1996-97).

McNeil Decision: Junior center Josh McNeil said he'll apply to the NFL Draft Advisory Board for a prediction as to where he'll be drafted. McNeil said a second- or third-round grade would likely prompt him to forgo his senior season.

"As of right now, I'm planning on coming back," McNeil said.

McNeil said the coaching change won't play a major role in his decision.

"It's not a huge factor because you've got to make the best decision for you and your family," McNeil said.

Chief Talk: Defensive coordinator John Chavis said he would only accept a coaching job in which he could compete for championships.

"I may never coach football again and if that's the case, then I'm fine with that," he said.

Chavis said he'd like to coach again and will still strive to be a head coach.

"I'm not going to be in any hurry to take a job," he said.

Chavis said he's already received several inquires, including calls from the NFL.

"I really don't know who's really serious; we'll find out," he said. "I think the NFL in a lot of ways could help me jumpstart my career again."

Warren Report: A 6-yard reception in the first quarter against Kentucky was tight end Brandon Warren's first catch since Nov. 1 when he had one reception for three yards against South Carolina.

Warren, who transferred from Florida State after a freshman All-American season in 2006, caught 10 passes for 85 yards this season.

Warren had five games this season without a catch and never caught more than two passes in a game.

Arian's Ascension: Senior tailback Arian Foster's 59 yards against Kentucky gives him 2,964 for his career. That leaves Foster as the second-leading rusher in UT history, 114 yards shy of Travis Henry's school record of 3,078.

Sparse Salute: The crowd for Fulmer's last game was probably the smallest of his UT tenure. Estimates from the press box put the crowd at 65,000. The announced attendance was 102,388 but that is based on tickets sold, not actual attendance.

Sweet Home?: After finishing a perfect 7-0 last season in Neyland Stadium, UT salvaged a winning record at home this season.

With Saturday's win, UT improved to 4-3 this season at home with wins over UAB, Northern Illinois, Mississippi State and Kentucky.

UT lost at home to Alabama, Florida and Wyoming.

Plain Defensive: The Vols only allowed one rush longer than 20 yards all season, a 29 yarder by UAB's Joe Webb on Sept. 13.

Dave Hooker contributed to this report.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2008, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

bcbobcat82 writes:

Sounds like a great complement to the following (likely) staff:

Head Coach: Lane Kiffin
OC: Bill Callahan
DC: Monte Kiffin

Watch out, SEC!

GO VOLS!

Haha, third time's a charm!

ubershamu312 writes:

I don't want Bill Callahan anywhere near here. Not to be mean, seems like a nice guy, but he's been a complete disaster for years. I used to always wager against his teams when in Vegas, and had a lot of success doing it.

No Callahan please.

ZR writes:

Yeah, but Warren caught the tar out of those 10 balls.

FLAVOLS writes:

A recruiting stud!! Me likee.

JBruce writes:

I can't really get excited about Reaves. He has been QB coach in South Carolina for 7 years. They have had more QB turmoil than we have. I don't think that he will be able to help us.

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to JBruce:

Are you serious? Spurrier would fire his own mother if she wasn't getting it done. If visor-boy thinks he's a good coach/recruiter, I'm a believer. Young guy though. They will need to have some gray hair on the staff from an experience standpoint. Go Vols!!!

GoodKnightInTheBurg writes:

McNeil thinkin bout going pro?? C'mon now. I know he's been a dependable starter but the way the O line played this year, I wouldn't bet on any of them at the next level. I hope they prove me wrong though.

JohnyLobo34 writes:

Pleeeeeeeese, NO BILL CALLAHAN! He is a disaster! Who's going to play quarterback. My guess is Nick Stephens.

txsvol#372416 writes:

If by hiring Reaves we strengthen UT and weaken SC, + get a good recruiter, I'm all for it. McNeil can probably play in the pros from a technique standpoint, but I don't think he's ready to take on the Albert Haynesworths and the John Hendersons of the NFL without really getting into the weight program another year. He's played undersized, and he's dinged up enough to break down under the intense pounding undersized centers take in the NFL. SAVol

Volomatic writes:

in response to JohnyLobo34:

My hope would be Taj Boyd

hooverd283#563729 writes:

MONTE K. WILL NOT BE AT UT.

carters_dad writes:

in response to ubershamu312:

No Callahan please.

AL BORGES FOR OC

carters_dad writes:

"Hamilton said there is a plan in place to send some of UT’s current staff on the road recruiting if a staff isn’t in place by next week".

I think this has been a done deal for a while or else why would you send lame duck assistant coaches out to recruit? Lane has been the man all along and the assistant coaches knew which ones that lane wanted to keep like scott, drayton and the tight-ends coach. Wish he could get steve sarkisian as qb coach and OC and assistant head coach

carters_dad writes:

the Tennessean is reporting that Fulmer is not ruling out being the head coach at clemson. If fulmer goes to clemson and chavis is his DC, We are in BIG trouble. That would be his way of getting back at UT. He would sure get lots of our would be recruits and could probably sit over there and churn out 10 win seasons one after another. If bowden can start off the season ranked #10 just think what fulmer and chavis could do at clemson!!!!

txvolsfan writes:

in response to txsvol#372416:

I agree Doc, McNeil needs to get stronger and put this year behind him. I also agree about weakening SC because QB coach is one of the Visors favorite positions and we need to recruit better in SC.
I'm ready for Parker back in our Spurs line up.

carters_dad writes:

The UT coach was asked if he would be interested in the Clemson head coach position, and Fulmer did not rule it out.

"If the right place that has the same kind of passion that the Tennessee people have, and I felt like I could have the same kind of passion there that I've had here, then that's something I would look at," Fulmer said.

He was then asked if he has had any contact with Clemson.

"I'm not really at liberty to talk about any of that, nor do I choose to at this particular point," Fulmer said.

bigt4ut writes:

Trooper Taylor is coming back to be our offensive coordinator, thats what I heard from a reliable source!
Go get em Troop! They never should have let him go in the first place.

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to hooverd283#563729:

MONTE K. WILL NOT BE AT UT.

I would not bet my paycheck on that if I were you

orangeinbama writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

I would not bet my paycheck on that if I were you

So we are gonna match the 2mil he makes at TB now?

RJ_Vol writes:

Has anyone seen South Carolina's QB play recently? It is woeful. Let's hope this is a recruiting move. South Carolina fans will rejoice.

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to orangeinbama:

So we are gonna match the 2mil he makes at TB now?

Doubt we have to. This is his son. The man is 68, i doubt he is starving.

bjrhodes01 writes:

I agree that Bill Callahan is not the best choice. It's just what I've heard to be true. Y'all have mentioned some wonderful candidates for OC (it kills me to see Trooper riling up the Cowboys for score after score), lets hope it's one of them instead.

As for Phil and Chavis...Clemson is a perfect fit, given their recruiting ability and lack of competition. Most importantly, "The Great Pumpkin" lives on!

tnbigg writes:

Wow...wouldn't that add a new and interesting perspective to the Florida game...bring it on!

jack_2222#231746 writes:

Wow, South Carolina is a quarterback machine. Look how the brother-in-law developed those great Carolina QB's. Imagine UT's QB's looking that sharp. What a coup. Does Kiffin have a cousin who coaches defensive linemen at New Mexico St?

Singaporehillbilly writes:

in response to jack_2222#231746:

No Kiffy does not have a cousin who coached defensive lineman, but he does have a surfer friend who always wanted to coach defensive backs. Surfs up dude!

Singaporehillbilly writes:

Reaves has more coaching experience than Kiffy. Maybe Hammy should re-open the search with the heading on the job training.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Chief said he would only go "where they compete for championships". EHCPF had 2 in 17 years, wonder if he considered that "competing".

He'll land somewhere, Richt would be smart to grab him for Ga. Martinez is awful.

rccheek#205272 writes:

Monte probably has enough tucked away to be comfortable and he WANTS to coach with his son. We can probably get him for $500K

DroopyDrawers writes:

Dale Jones for a Defensive position

rusty_shackleford writes:

Mortensen on ESPN just confirmed that Monte will join his son at Tennessee.

khelton657 writes:

Callahan single handedly destroyed Nebraska..anyone remember ? Why would he have any loyalty Tenessee other than paycheck. For anyone to have any sucess at UT, it has to be more than just a job.

Monte won't come to UT, his presence would overshadow and distract from his son who must be the headcoach. Ever noticed how many problems there are in family businsses between father and sons ? They love each other but get exasperated because the father is supposed to be in charge, listened to, have the last word but the son would be king here, sort of a role reversal.

Reaves is coming soley for the recruting, SCs QB's maybe the worst in the SEC, 4 ints yesterday. Got whipped by a team who had fired their coach.

pj_ladyvolnMI writes:

in response to rusty_shackleford:

Mortensen on ESPN just confirmed that Monte will join his son at Tennessee.

Actually, ESPN said that Monte is seriously considering it. It wasn't a confirmation yet.

Any thots out there on having 3 coaches all belonging to the same family??? Is that a positive or negative?

OakyVol09 writes:

in response to hooverd283#563729:

MONTE K. WILL NOT BE AT UT.

Chris Mortenson said on ESPN this morning that although it was not a done deal, rumor around the league was that Monty Kiffin WOULD be joining his son in Knoxville. Also said LK was in Knoxville today to be announced the new HC either today or tomorrow.

Please LK, no Bill Callahan. He seems to be a locker room cancer.

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

Is anyone going to the airport to meet Kiffin? or is that just a Bama thang?

cltvol writes:

in response to JBruce:

Tend to agree, but I think visor face would make qb coaching very difficult. W/out the talent edge he had @ lizardland, he has been a meddling, interfering, ineffective offensive leader. Biggest objection to this hire is the nepotism. Likewise to hiring his baby's granddaddy to be D coordinator.

bluetick writes:

in response to bigt4ut:

Go get em Troop! They never should have let him go in the first place.

I really wish we had Trooper on the team but I also believe that is a rumor.

cainclifton23 writes:

So, ESPN said that were more than likely getting Monte Kiffin, But how long will he stay around...

and I do not want Bill Callahan

If we could get Trooper.. .Holy phooey, Talk about recruiting gods of football.

and he has OSU offense looking pretty good.

serenehunter#668900 writes:

Get ready for new Keystone cops "No Clue coaching staff. S.E.C. ooaches are still laughing their heads off. But hey! who cares "Play Money " Hamilton is having a ball throwing money away. What does Hamilton say when he tips the dancer(coach)? "There's more where that came from!"

orangecountry21 writes:

Lane Kiffin-HC

Monte Kiffin-DC

Trooper Taylor- OC

Stan Drayton- RB

Latrell Scott- WR

Reaves- QB/Recr.Coo.

Ed Orgeron- DL/Recr.Coo

Those are a few guesses. I highly doubt Scott AND Strayton stay though.

fredricks writes:

Better think twice before bringing in Bill Callahan.

RJ_Vol writes:

Callahan!!! Callahan!!! Are you kidding me? I said UT was becoming much like Nebraska due to a small portion of its fanbase becoming "win at all costs". However, I didn't think we'd actually bring Callahan here. Let's hope this is just a rumor...I can hear the conference collectively chuckle. I'll save any criticism for Hamilton until this actually takes place.

TylerDurden (Inactive) writes:

Im for Jeremy Bates as the nex offensive coordinator....would be a great choice.

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

you know... maybe the guy is a good recruiter, but considering how good the south carolina quarterbacks have been, and how consistent their starter (whichever quarterback that would be) is, I don't think this is such a good position coach to be hiring.

fredricks writes:

Breaking news... Sources: Monte Kiffin to join son Lane's staff with Volunteers

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to Navalorange:

SEC coaches wanted us to keep Fulmer. They enjoyed beating up on us

southernson writes: