Kiffin gives recruit early wake-up call

In this July 28, 2007, file photo, then-Oakland Raiders coach Lane Kiffin talks to his players during the Raiders' NFL football training camp in Napa, Calif.

Photo by AP Photo / Dino Vournas, File

Photo by AP Photo / Dino Vournas, File

Lane Kiffin is officially on the recruiting trail.

Tennessee’s next football coach was working the phones early talking to star prospect Jarvis Giles.

“He already called me this morning at 7 o'clock,” the 6-foot, 175-pound tailback from Gaither High School in Tampa, Fla., said Sunday afternoon. “He said ‘I sat down and watched a little bit of your film online. From what I’ve seen, you’re pretty impressive.’

“He said he was going to sit down and watch some more tonight and see how I can fit into this offense.”

Giles is one of the highest priorities on UT’s board. Once a UT commitment, the top 100 prospect nationally pulled his pledge shortly after Phillip Fulmer’s ouster was announced on Nov. 3.

Giles said the main reason he did so was because of his close relationship with UT running backs coach Stan Drayton, whom Giles assumed would also be let go by UT. Giles gave Drayton another ringing endorsement on Sunday.

“It would be even better if Drayton could keep his job,” Giles said of the chances he’ll pick UT again. “He (Kiffin) said ‘I’m going to evaluate Drayton today’. I pray to God that Drayton will keep his job and we’ll go from there.”

Giles now has another tie to UT in David Reaves, the former South Carolina recruiting coordinator who will join Kiffin’s staff today, according to multiple media reports.

“We’re close,” Giles said of his relationship with Reaves.

Giles said he’ll consider three or four schools before making his decision: UT, South Carolina, Nebraska and wherever Drayton is coaching.

Giles has taken official visits to South Carolina and Nebraska. Strangely enough, he got a glowing recommendation of Kiffin while checking out the Cornhuskers in Lincoln.

Nebraska linebacker Latravis Washington, whose cousin Fabian Washington played cornerback for the Oakland Raiders under Kiffin, had some insight for Giles on UT’s new coach.

“He (Latravis Washington) was telling me that Kiffin was a good guy and a lot of players were upset when they heard he was leaving (the Raiders),” Giles said.

Kiffin was fired Sept. 30 by the Raiders following a tumultuous marriage with owner Al Davis that resulted in a 5-15 record in less than two seasons.

Before that, Kiffin was the offensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator for Southern Cal. In his conversation with Giles this morning, Kiffin astutely pointed out that he coached Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush while at USC.

That made an impression.

“I like Reggie Bush a lot,” Giles said. “I used to idolize Reggie Bush. A lot of my shakes, I symbolize Reggie Bush. Him (Kiffin) coaching Reggie Bush is pretty astonishing.”

Giles doesn’t have long to make his decision. He’s planning on enrolling in college in January and said he has no leader among the schools he’s considering.

With all the coaching moves, Giles’ decision is tougher than ever.

“I like Reaves. I like Drayton,” Giles said. “But I really don’t know. I like Tennessee a lot. I like South Carolina a lot and I like Nebraska a lot.”

Related Stories

ctownvol writes:

You better come on now Giles. Be a part of something special at Tennessee.

cainclifton23 writes:

Hey I wanted Kiffin All Along.. Im a die hard oakland fan,. i was crushed when we fired him

Volsfan1985 writes:

I hope Giles reconsiders Tennessee...... i think Kiffin will do a wonderful job of recruiting players....especially now that his dad is coming with him.....

cainclifton23 writes:

Kiffin is going to retain Drayton and SCott because of their ability to recruit the state of FL.

I wonder if we are going to keep Larry Slade

vol2211insc writes:

Man is this dude hitting the ground running or what??????

gohawks1 writes:

Get Giles, Coach, and let the pieces start falling into place.

vol2211insc writes:

in response to cainclifton23:

I wonder if we are going to keep Larry Slade

Man Drayton and Scott are great coaches. He really should keep them. They recruit like Trooper taylor used to

7_Game_Maxims writes:

How long do you give Monte? And do you think O would be his replacement if he comes? Monte's getting up there in age. I'm not researching dress shops yet.

cainclifton23 writes:

If we can bring in Trooper Taylor as our O coord WOW

Volzo writes:

It Has Been Confirmed:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin will be joining his son Lane at Tennessee, sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

Sources confirm to ESPN that his 68-year-old father plans to join his son after the Bucs' season.

Updated: November 30, 2008, 12:29 PM ET

pabashia#208095 writes:

OK you Fulmeristas. Time to move on - he's not the coach at Tennessee any longer. Kiffin is.

Get behind the guy and you'll see some great talent come to the Hill.

vol2211insc writes:

You know it would be great to get Giles and Oku. But doesn't Giles come off as somewhat cocky? I mean not necessarily a bad thing, but atleast he really seems loyal to stan drayton. Also with S.C.'s assistant coming it will help out greatly. Man I can't wait to hear the angry calls on the local sports affiliate here in columbia about the Vols taking some of their staff!!!

wagee12 writes:

This is absolutely wonderful news. The endorsement from the Oakland player means a hellofalot. Drayton has a real chance to stick since he coached at Florida under Meyer and can recruit that state. Gentlemen, please prepare for the walls that have been thrown up against us to begin to crumble. Mr. Richt, Mr. Meyer, Mr. Davis, Mr. Saban, Tear those walls down!"

7_Game_Maxims writes:

in response to vol2211insc:

They'll probably be cheering due to SCs QB play in recent years.

yeavols#228407 writes:

in response to vol2211insc:

Man is this dude hitting the ground running or what??????

I am glad that Kiffin is hitting the ground running. We need to bring back some enthusiasm for sure. I only hope that he can instill some discipline into these players and the players have some motivation for next year. It can't get any worse (well it can but it would take some serious trying to flunk out). So far so good. Good luck to Kiffin and I just hope Hamilton made the right choice.

tnbigg writes:

Well...it is sincerely great to feel egnuine enthusiasm again for Tennessee football. Way to go Hamilton and pour it on Coach Kiffin...welcome and congratulations...I have a great feeling about this...

vol2211insc writes:

I really don't see the vols having any more de-commits. I think CLK helps win back some recruits and also goes after some big name guys before national signing day.

fredricks writes:

in response to wagee12:

"... tear down those walls". I like the sound of it! :)

UT4ME writes:

Wow. Finally, checking GoVolxtra is exciting. It has been worth the wait, I think. Fulmer went out in style last night...quite a tribute to him, on ESPN no less. A little ironic, but with the anxiety and division of the last several weeks, it felt to me like they gave him a pretty good send off.

Now, in with the new, and it's time to get behind them and hopefully, watch and rejoice as a top-flight coaching staff is revealed and UT goes right to the front of the pack for elite recruits nationdwide. I'm getting ahead of myself, I know, but still, I really think this is the jumpstart needed for a once-proud Football program that was near death after the Wyoming game. Yeah, a couple of late season wins has us on life support, but they were nothing to write home about. Getting our recruiting class back in shape, potentially improving it, and getting a coaching staff that can strike fear into Urby & Satan is something to write home about...hence the post.

Go Vols!

yeavols#228407 writes:

in response to tnbigg:

Here Here!! I second that

govolsxtra writes:

Good riddance I've been loathing for somebody that can use UT's talent wise. We've got at least 3 solid to really good running backs in Montario Hardesty, Lennon Creer, and Taureen Poole. We have 2 great runners at reciever in Gerald Jones and Danraious Moore. We have a great tight end in Brandon Warren. And we have a prototype linebacker in Gerald Williams. But guess what Fulmer and his assistants DID with this talent, they put the players in for one snap and them take them out until special the punt team comes on to the field. I CANT WAITH FOR HEAD COACH LANE KIFFIN TO USE THE TALENT GENOROUSLY!

cainclifton23 writes:

Hopefully we can snag a couple of big WR's like Patrick Turners and Mike Williams.

we already have one EJ Abrams Ward 6'5 220 4.49

I think Kiffin will be drooling over him

AllVol2008#1353998 writes:

If this is the Polar Express to the National Championship, here's my ticket--I BELIEVE!! No pun intended, but this thing will "snowball." All Aboard!

GO BIG ORANGE!!!

vol2211insc writes:

in response to govolsxtra:

You hit the nail on the head my friend. I don't care what anybody says, Denarius Moore should have been starting a long time ago. Every time they ran play action he would easily get seperation and catch long passes. Then they would take him out! They will definetely find the guys that can play. Speaking of which did my eyes play tricks on me last night or did Denarius Moore play a little DB the later part of the game? Thought I saw a # 6

orangeJACKET writes:

i also wanted kiffin all along. i don't think the let down of the choice is as wide spread as the media says. EVERYONE i've talked to is thrilled. he definately should keep drayton though.

hooverd283#563729 writes:

I support the Vols and whoever gives us the best chance to beat FLA,,GA,,and ALA each year. Every year!!! Fulmer will always be a Vol and when the young Kiffin starts winning coach Fulmer will be the first to call and congratulate him. GO VOLS!!! Anybody wish it was September 2009 already??

cainclifton23 writes:

Our Offense Next year Preictiions.

QB-Crompton, Boyd
Rb-Hardest,Creer, Poole
Te- Warren, Stocker/
Wr- Jones, Moore, Abrams Ward, Paige

vol2211insc writes:

in response to hooverd283#563729:

Not only do I wish it were Sept 2009. I wish it was first series, 1st down of Tennessee UCLA 2 w/ David Oku in the backfield with jarvis giles split wide in the slot with Denarius Moore and Marlon Brown as the wide outs!!!!!!!!! I'm like a Lane Kiffin media junkie right about now!

volsmith writes:

Running backs are good, but we need linemen. Get Giles, let all ther three star recruits go, and get good four and five star linemen.

ckeller18 writes:

After looking at next year's schedule if Kiffin does not get off to a great start and win at least 8 games next year he will be a bust. There are a lot of "gimmie" games on that schedule. He will probably still lose to the big 3 on the schedule, but I believe that even Fullmer could win 8 of those games.

cbcbobby writes:

V-O-L-S!! Lets go vols! MAN!!! What a STAFF!!!

ncvol17 writes:

The King is dead, long live the King. Kiffin Kops Killer Keeper Klass of 09.

vol2211insc writes:

in response to volsmith:

Right now we are in no position to let any recruit go. Besides, a players rivals ranking doesn't always tell you how good he'll be once he's coach and spends a year in the weight room.

HonoluluVol writes:

in response to pabashia#208095:

Get behind the guy and you'll see some great talent come to the Hill.

Your comments were not warranted. We have and will continue to move on as the VOLNATION should. No need for bashing. And cheap shots. GO VOLS!!!

khelton657 writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

Kiffin is now the new maverick coach in The SEC, Saban etal are now the old guard. He will be out to make a name for himself and woe be unto anyone who gets in his way and any player who is not willing to do what he is told..I betcha there won't be any F-bombs leveled at the two Kiffins or Orgeron...Better get on board players or there is a highway out there..

rusty_shackleford writes:

in response to vol2211insc:

I'll go even further and say we'll have more guys add UTK to their list than we had de-commits. The excitement is infectious!

TommyJack writes:

in response to cainclifton23:

If we can bring in Trooper Taylor as our O coord WOW

Don't see how Trooper has any ties to Kiffin's offense. There are plenty of backward hat wearin, high-fivin, chest-bumpin coaches available. If he want's a real recruiter, he should try to bring back Rodney Garner.

ncvol17 writes:

in response to HBKGault:

Let's go Freshman or JUCO @ QB. Sorry Cromp, sorry Stephens you just don't have it to be a successful SEC QB

7_Game_Maxims writes:

in response to khelton657:

Sounds good and I hope that is the approach he takes.

vol2211insc writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

6'7'' 347?? Thats not a Tackle....Thats a beast!!! I could see him moving the getting past a D lineman and move on to blow up a linebacker...

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to 7_Game_Maxims:

I give him 2-3 years to [hopefully] get his son established in a successful situation and allow him to hand pick the next guy, from without or within. Kiffin's defensive strategy will work immediately because Chavis basically already runs it. That's why I think Chavis will probably go to the NFL as his next stop. The only thing is that all zone secondary packages require a D-line that can pressure the QBs. Otherwise, get ready for more 3rd and Chavis with the receivers sitting down in the zone. I do believe Kiffin will be more aggessive with his coverages and don't forget, he was HC at NC State in the late 70's, so he does have a pretty good idea of the college game. Go Vols!!!

khelton657 writes:

Come on back Giles and Oku..there is no brighter place to be now than The University of Tennessee, you may as well be a part of the good things that are about to happen here..not to mention the media attention that will be heaped on UT , it's new coaches and players...you will enjoy your time in the arena.

cainclifton23 writes:

I wouldnt give up on crompton.
He has a Cannon arm and hes athletic..

If we get a good QB coach, and Lane has worke with Lienert and Palmer.

But Either way we look good for next year..

Especcialy if we can get Warren and Abrams ward out on the field

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to 7_Game_Maxims:

They'll probably be cheering due to SCs QB play in recent years.

On the surface I would agree that SC's QB situation has been a mess. But, if visor-boy thinks Reaves can coach, who am I to argue? He's kept him around and even promoted him recently so there has to be something special about the guy. Go Vols!!!

vol2211insc writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

yea tell me about it

khelton657 writes:

Kudo's, Coach Kiffin, for already setting an energetic example ..kick some butt on the recruiting trail and welcome..with open arms.

khelton657 writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

Now that's one of the best lines I've heard.....

OMike writes:

Was not my top choice. Never thought his dad would leave Tampa. Exciting news for all Vol fans. I bet we pick up some stud recruits this year that we weren't even expecting. Go VOLS!!!!!

stillavolsfan27 writes:

Now if im not mistaken everyone was putting down Lane Kiffin I maybe 13 years old but i know alot about football and Hitting the ground running like Kiffin did is already showing leadership. Some coaches probably haven't even started handing out serious offers to top prospects. Kiffin has been here FOR ONE DAY!!!!!!! What new coach would do that. I can Tell he wants Giles and look what he has done gone to get him. If this pays off I will be a happy volunteer fan especially knowing that he maybe on a great recruiting trail.

twoxvols#231409 writes:

While I think UT was wrong to get rid of CPF, it sounds like Kiffin is working hard at recruiting and getting a good staff. Best of luck. I will be watching next year.