Kiffin to be introduced as UT's coach 2 p.m. Monday

In this July 28, 2007, file photo, then-Oakland Raiders coach Lane Kiffin talks to his players during the Raiders' NFL football training camp in Napa, Calif.

Photo by AP Photo / Dino Vournas, File

Did UT make the right choice in Lane Kiffin as football coach?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Tennessee will introduce former Oakland Raiders head coach Lane Kiffin as the program's 21st head coach during a 2 p.m. press conference Monday, UT announced on its Web site Sunday evening.

"During the past few weeks, we have been on the road meeting with prospective coaches and talking to some of football's most influential and knowledgeable players and coaches about the future of the Tennessee football program," UT athletic director Mike Hamilton said in a statement.

"We have had unbelievable interest from great coaches. When it was all said and done, we felt like Lane Kiffin was a perfect fit for Tennessee. He's energetic, charismatic, consumed with recruiting and has had a lifelong love affair with football."

More details as they become available on GoVolsXtra.com and in Monday's News Sentinel.

Related Stories

midgetangel#279179 writes:

Hopefully that lifelong love can equal some championships!!

midgetangel#279179 writes:

Welcome aboard Lane!! I'm 33 as well and more power to you for being able to coach. I wish you all of the best and I hope to see you in Atlanta soon!!!! Go Vols!!!

volfan1971 writes:

Out of all the potential candidates out there, I am not convinced this is the correct choice. However, the die is cast now so I hope all is well for the future of the Vols.

CoastGuardVol writes:

Go Vols!!! Is it August yet??!!!

ctownvol writes:

Can't wait to see Coach Kiffin in Orange and White!

pdhuff#552644 writes:

C'mon in son. The waters muddy but I'm sure in due time you can walk on it.

"Energetic" ADspeak for not a geezer.

"Charismatic" ADspeak for won't say "stay the course" (couldn't resist)

"Consumed with recruiting" ADspeak for we need help.

New era dawning.

surfmaster writes:

Question. What does everyone think Kiffin will do with Neyland's maxims? Will he keep them as part of game prep like Battle, Majors, Fulmer did? Or will he ignore them?

If he does away with them, what will be the response of the Vol faithful?

Also, is he a hat guy or a God-forbid a visor guy. Real men wear hats. My opinion.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to volfan1971:

He is just the first, there will be others. Just look at Alabama, Nebraska, Notre Dame ...

surfmaster writes:

Also, what is the over/under for number of days before someone starts a firelanekiffin.com site?

voltime writes:

Snap on you helment, get ready Gators, Tide, and Dogs we are back in the game!!!!!!!

scott92699#212441 writes:

About time! Will the press conference be on TV in middle TN? Congradulations Coach Kiffin! Go Big Orange!

UT_VOLS75 writes:

WHOO GO KIFFIN.... man I like this more and more...

ctownvol writes:

in response to surfmaster:

If he does away with them, what will be the response of the Vol faithful?

At a place like Tennessee where tradition does mean something, I really think he will keep the maxims in. He's a smart guy. Don't confuse youthfulness with ignorance. As far as the hat/visor...I don't care one iota. If he can put us back to where we once were...the guy can roam the sidelines with a tiara. Although I'd rather him stay away from the tiara if he doesn't mind.

JohnsonCity_George writes:

Hey John Adams, maybe you should give Hamilton your cell number. Maybe he wrote it down wrong. Give it to Chris Low while your at it.

Teresa writes:

in response to surfmaster:

There's already one. It was started a while back by some guy in California.

He's already met with defensive staff and they are all gone per Hyams just now on the radio.

burntorangeVOLffle writes:

I'm still not 100% sold on this hire but if he can recruit to TN half as well as he did to USC it should be okay. A super star staff should help. Jimmy Hymes said this morn he knows of another unnamed NFL assistant he thinks is comming.

The real question is how many years does he have to not only get to Atlanta but win before the peanut gallary start calling for his head.

bigorangeguy writes:

Welcome to UT coach K(of football that is). Turn this program around and let's see some wins and go bowling once again.

DennisVols writes:

ESPN:

Monte Kiffin once introduced a more aggressive national recruiting plan to USC and he recruited ex-Vols great Peyton Manning, who was consulted by his alma mater and signed off on Tennessee's hiring of Kiffin, sources told ESPN.

allvol9 writes:

Welcome Coach Kiffin. Last night was an incredible way to send out Coach Fulmer....he deserved it. Now on to the Kiffin era....can't wait. Go Big Orange!

MillisaAnn writes:

Welcome Coach Kifflin!!! Go Vols!!!

cainclifton23 writes:

MarineVol should never be allowed to post on here again.

surfmaster writes:

According the the GoVolsExtra "Did UT make the right choice in Lane Kiffin as football coach?" survey, he only has a 47% approval rating among 9683 voters and he hasn't been coach for a day yet. Ouch.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to surfmaster:

There already is one. I checked it & it's under construction. The guy who posted the link on another board said it was probably left over from the Raiders. Started by Al Davis no doubt.

caskew#218608 writes:

I suggest everyone tune into the Sports Animal at 7:00PM to hear Brent Hubbs show. He may info about the recruits and what the staff is going to look like. You can also listen online here: http://www.sportsanimal99.com/Article...

caskew#218608 writes:

in response to caskew#218608:

Actually since the BB game is at 7:30 he may not be doing the show tonight....but tune in anyway to make sure.

txvolsfan writes:

in response to surfmaster:

dumb arse!!!\
can you go away

Teresa writes:

caskew, I don't think Hubbs' show will be on. The pre-game for the basketball game will be on.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

Welcome Coach Kiffin! I'm excited about Vol football again. Can't wait till August. Good luck, win & all will love you.(except those from Fl., Al., Ga. & a few others)

Go Vols!

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to cainclifton23:

MarineVol should never be allowed to post on here again.

What's the matter, nasty, can't handle the truth? Too bad.

ncvol writes:

Welcome to Rocky Top,Lane. Go Vols !

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Chavis, expect a call from Mark Richt. He needs you.

txvolsfan writes:

in response to volster:

Deep down I think he is dead wrong!!! I like the staff and I like Lane, I think he can come in and dominate in this league!!!

caskew#218608 writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

Chavis, expect a call from Mark Richt. He needs you.

I think it's inevitable that Chavis will be DC either at LSU, UGA, or MSU next season....He deserves it though...wish we could have kept him.

txvolsfan writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

What's the matter, nasty, can't handle the truth? Too bad.

You would not know the truth if it hit you in your pointed head!!!

By the way if you are a marine, I greatly Thank You for your service!!!

but your still wrong

cobbwebb writes:

ok so according to c. mortenson monte kiffin is on board, if you look up monte kiffin on wikipedia, it states that he is the father of lane the new tenn coach, and that monte announced on nov. 30 2008 that he will coach with his son at tenn in 2009!

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to txvolsfan:

You're right. It's going to be total domination by Tennessee from now on. A new coach at UT won't stand a chance with those kind of expectations.

caskew#218608 writes:

in response to cobbwebb:

I believe Monte is coming, but please don't EVER trust Wikipedia as fact....ANYONE can edit the pages on there.....

gslaton#227127 writes:

I think it's time to quit using Phil Fulmer as the justification for hiring Kiffen. I agree it was time for a change, but Kiffen has to win some games and he hasn't done squat yet. Everyone will be excited about next year, but we should temper our expectations. I can live with 11-1!

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to txvolsfan:

You would not know the truth if it hit you in your pointed head!!!

By the way if you are a marine, I greatly Thank You for your service!!!

but your still wrong

Thak you for your expression of gratitude. You are correct, I am a pointed head Marine who is not convinced that Lane Kiffin is the Savior for UT football, but I would love for him to come in and prove me wrong. If he does, I'll stand on my pointed jarhead and admit I was wrong.

jandjhome#228397 writes:

In response to HBKGault AMEN brother.

hmhawk writes:

I really have no regrets here.True it is bittersweet for this old man.Yeah I do have a regret--having to face Chief's defense next season.That one will bite us.

bluetick writes:

in response to cainclifton23:

MarineVol should never be allowed to post on here again.

There is a lot of truth and facts to what he said, but we'll see.

zqvol writes:

in response to surfmaster:

It has existed for a couple of years, I suspect that it has something to do with the raiders, and before you ask UT owns the site firemilehamilton.com.

Having said that, let's all be patient and see what happens. If he puts a quality product on the field everything is fine. If not Hamilton's replacement will make the next choice.

For now, all we want is for the Vols to win.

Good Luck to coach Kiffen and his new staff.

Go Vols!

eduardo writes:

MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zqvol writes:

in response to scott92699#212441:

You can watch it online at

hmhawk writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

This is a forum and post as you see fit.This ex-wingnut salutes and thanks you jarhead.

bluetick writes:

in response to ka3ky5ko8:

You actually think Chavis would work for/with that jack@ss? Les Miles is SATAN. I really dislike him and I think most do. Between him and Myers I'm not sure who I dislike most but it would probably be Miles.
I think Chavis ends up in the NFL myself, but I really wish he were retained. Not looking forward to Obama filling his staff but sure and looking forward to what becomes of the VOLS Staff in the next couple of weeks.

HonoluluVol writes:

in response to surfmaster:

If he does away with them, what will be the response of the Vol faithful?

Doesn't matter if he wears a tuxedo and wading boots, as long as he wins.

zqvol writes:

in response to surfmaster:

Don't pay attention to the approval, pay attention to the negative(about 25%). There are quiet a few who are rightfully withholding judgment until they see more, which is probably more fair than making a snap decision based on emotion.

It may be a good hire, it may not, but he is our coach now so support the Vols.

zqvol writes:

in response to ka3ky5ko8:

My real wish is that Chavis and his coaches wind up somewhere that allows them to keep working if that is what they want.

I don't know enough about the old offensive staff, but I wish them well.

As far as CPF, I think that in about 6 months he will have an office somewhere in the athletic department working and succeeding as a fund raiser for the Vols and doing a great job. Tennessee does not dump favorite sons on the street, and he will do a good job at that for the University.

Good luck and best wishes to the entire old staff, and to coach Kiffen and his new staff!

Go Vols!