Monte Kiffin will be Tennessee’s next defensive coordinator

Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin will be Tennessee’s next defensive coordinator, ESPN NFL analyst Chris Mortensen reported Sunday, citing multiple unnamed sources.

Kiffin's son, Lane, is expected to be introduced as Tennessee's next head coach sometime Monday.

Kiffin, 68, will join UT after Tampa’s season is finished, the report said.

Kiffin has been with the Buccaneers since 1995 and is the NFL's highest paid defensive coordinator, reportedly earning more than $2 million a year. John Chavis earned $340,000 this season to coach Tennessee's defense and linebackers. UT paid its nine on-field assistant coaches a combined $1.935 million this season.

More updates throughout the day on GoVolsXtra.com and in Monday’s News Sentinel.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2008, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

ctownvol writes:

WOW! This is really starting to sound great.

warriorman86#667191 writes:

good news. Next up, Coach O

Kiffinville writes:

K-Town stands for Kiffinville. Bring on the boy wonder and his daddy! Welcome, Coach Kiffin.

vol2211insc writes:

Now thats what I'm talking about...Let's be honest..we don't know if Lane is a good head coach. He certainly has potential but was in the worst job in the NFL. We know for a fact that Monte can coach a defense. If anyone can find ways to limit Florida's spread attack and Alabama's running game it is him. Lane Kiffin is making great decisions right now!

vol2211insc writes:

in response to Kiffinville:

Kiffinville...I love it! I wonder if Orgeron would be O.C.?

ctownvol writes:

If Peyton said it was ok with him....

ubershamu312 writes:

cainclifton23 writes:

That is what monte Kiffin invented at tampa and will be running here..

What a pick up for the VOLS!

jsm67vol writes:

Thsi sounds really good! I'm just curious if Lane still plans on being HC/OC? That is a lot to take on. Has anyone heard any word on who OC might be?

ctownvol writes:

I guess wikipedia updates daily. Check this out!

vol2211insc writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

Oh ok...thanks...never kept up to much with coach O when he was at Ole Miss. The O.C. would have to be someone that runs that pro style type offense. People go crazy over the spread but Southern Cal is still putting up tons of points running it.

cainclifton23 writes:

WOW.

If we can get Trooper taylor back.. this is gonna be insane!

gohawks1 writes:

in response to cainclifton23:

That is what monte Kiffin invented at tampa and will be running here..

What a pick up for the VOLS!

"Tampa 2 teams are known as gang tacklers and practice to always run to the ball. It also requires a hard hitting secondary to cause turnovers."

Here comes the Tennessee 2 defense, with hard hitting Eric Berry in the secondary!

ZWVol11 writes:

in response to vol2211insc:

Kiffinville...I love it! I wonder if Orgeron would be O.C.?

Coach O would coach D-line I wouldn't trust him with the title O.C. anyways but our D is going to stay close to the top

VolPride_13 writes:

After reading that Tampa 2 article, I think we have the perfect defensive setup for the the players we have now!!
Look, safeties=Big hitters, Linebackers=small, but fast, D-ends=fast, corners=good enough coverage!! The only thing that is maybe a problem is the D-Tackle pos.!!
Excited, already, lol!!!

Waldorf writes:

Third and Chavis no more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Runningangry writes:

This is starting to look promising. Now lets pick up a solid OC and get some talent going.

fredricks writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

Bill Callahan? No way. He destroyed the traditions at Nebraska.

A better pick might be Charlie Weis. Something tells me his days at ND is over. He may not be a great head coach, but he was a great OC for the Patriots.

vol2211insc writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

Callahan would be a great candidate. Man I'd love to see that balanced attack back in the mid 90's. I really think he will maximize the talent and won't be overly loyal to players. I think he comes in and let's the best players play regardless of their status.

cainclifton23 writes:

Trooper Taylor back for OC, Give him around 800k

Not Bill Callahan

tnbigg writes:

Dang...a Christmas to remember...presents piling up already! Bring on the Kiffin family!

vol2211insc writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

Great point. I would like to see an O.C. or CLK himself fix this QB mess. I really don't know how you evaluate all three who have played this past year. They should just take them into spring with a clean slate and see who can actually make it happen.

jsm67vol writes:

I know there are a lot of Clawson haters on here but this guy is respected by many who know the game as a really smart guy. I would hate to lose a gem we didn't know we had, but does anyone think there is any chance Kiffin would keep him around? i'm getting so excited about the future of UT that we will be ok without him, but Clawson and Kiffin systems do not seem all that much different. Most think Clawsons system is purely spread but has a history of very effective running too. I'm sure I will get blasted by some for even suggesting the thought.

vol2211insc writes:

in response to jsm67vol:

Another thing with that is that Clawson scaled back so much this year that we bacame very predictable. I really don't know what to say on that. Crompton played horribly at first and was looking less and less like that coveted H.S. QB. I think maybe Kiffin gives him an evaluation. But I don't know if he would retain a O.C. probably Scott and Drayton.

volmaniac22 writes:

THANK YOU MIKE HAMILTON!!!!!

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to Waldorf:

Third and Chavis no more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LMAO! I like that.

sidwalkvol writes:

I said on the other thread that all the reports I have read in the media comment that Clawson's system takes a year to gel, that the first year is always hard on players and production and really kicks in the second year. I wonder if CLK will consider that, as well as Drayton's value, in assembling his staff.

jsm67vol writes:

It seems to me that Kiffin started his research on UT football as soon as this teams struggles began this year and Fulmer on the hotseat rumors began to swirl. Obviously, Lane learned about the family atmosphere that Fulmer instilled in the program and realized this would be a great opportunity to coach with some of his own family and keep the family atmosphere that is currently on the hill.

invisiblekid writes:

in response to ctownvol:

If Peyton said it was ok with him....

Ditto

HonoluluVol writes:

I don't know if Monte Kiffen coming in to be the DC is locked in yet. It's kind of hard to believe that he wouldn't be part of the package to begin with. Here's another article I came across today.

yeavols#228407 writes:

OK..At first I was skeptical, but it's getting exciting and things are looking up. It is a good feeling to be excited about the football program again. It's only been 8 years. GO VOLS!

7_Game_Maxims writes:

in response to jsm67vol:

Ha ha ha. I don't think that's what is meant by "family." That's a good one! Nepotism U.

jsm67vol writes:

in response to vol2211insc:

I agree that if anybody is kept from this staff that Scott and Drayton are the ones, but was just curious about Clawson. Clawson, Drayton and Scott have a history. I know that means nothing to Lane but I agree with you that Clawson will probably get an evaluation.

invisiblekid writes:

in response to jsm67vol:

I don't see Clawson as a holdover but agree that he is a smart. I expect to see him land on his feet and be successful elsewhere.

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to jsm67vol:

I heard someone mentioned that scares me to death - Bill Callahan! Hopefully that is just a crazy "what if" but he's a guy I definitely don't want in Knoxville. Plus I think we need to keep/hire some college based guys to keep things balanced. Go Vols!!!

rusty_shackleford writes:

A leader is only as strong as the people he/she surrounds him/herself with. This is starting to look Really Strong!

ctownvol writes:

in response to tnbigg:

HO HO HO!

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

my worry with MOnte Kiffin: can he recruit?? mabye they structure it so he is just a 'closer'??? Remember, in the NFL, you are just hiring guys, not having to convice mommy (and sometimes a daddy) that Good Ole U is the place for little Johnny or Jamal to go...

dfreeman writes:

in response to Waldorf:

Third and Chavis no more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what a jackhole thing to say! Be happy about the new DC, but do it with class or go away!

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to jsm67vol:

I wondered the same thing but Kiffin's pro-set and Clawson's spread are fundamentally different, both in style and the required personnel. I think Clawson will be very successful down the road, just had bad timing. The last two games we were reasonably successful offensively against two decent defensive teams but at no point did I see much of the "spread". I think Fulmer's hand was heavy on those game plans and with our personnel, we did better. Kiffin may pull a Spurrier and call his own plays, something several NFL guys do. I hope not. Go Vols!!!

7_Game_Maxims writes:

in response to Timed_vol:

He won't have to. His name does it for him. My biggest concern is how long will he be here.

knucklehead_vol writes:

in response to 7_Game_Maxims:

whats up old man?

ZWVol11 writes:

in response to vol2211insc:

Did we not just run out a guy because he was stuck in the mid 90s?

7_Game_Maxims writes:

in response to knucklehead_vol:

whats up old man?

Not much. What's up wit you. Know your dress size yet?

vol2211insc writes:

in response to ZWVol11:

Did we not just run out a guy because he was stuck in the mid 90s?

We just ran out a guy that couldn't produce the results that he did in the mid 90's

7_Game_Maxims writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

Good one!

MANVOL writes:

Monte Kiffin is the mastermind behind the Tampa 2 scheme, which is a slight modification of Tony Dungy's Cover 2. His defensive philosophy has several hallmarks.

Speed over size and strength. Coordinators that employ Kiffin-style defenses will often replace linebackers with safeties and linemen with linebackers in order to put more speed on the field, an approach known as spinning down. In particular, linebackers must be able to cover receivers; in the Tampa 2 scheme, one linebacker frequently drops back into pass protection, turning what looks like a Cover 2 defense into a Cover 3. Kiffin's defenses also employ large but quick defensive/nose tackles as run-stoppers.
Preventing scores over preventing yardage. A Kiffin coordinator doesn't care how many yards an offense gains, as long as the team doesn't score, an approach known as bend-but-don't-break.
Multiple defenses from one look. Kiffin-style defenses try to use the same personnel (or the same kind of personnel) at all times, so that the offense cannot adjust its play call based on the alignment of the defensive personnel.
Attacking and causing turnovers. Kiffin-style defenses focus on getting the ball away from the offense by stripping the ball away from the ball carrier or reading the quarterback to make an interception. The risk is that if the ball is not stripped or intercepted, then the ball carrier on offense has a better chance of gaining more yards or scoring; the reward is that the offensive drive is stopped without a score more often, frequently giving good field position.
I LIKE IT!!!GO VOLS!!

jsm67vol writes:

in response to 7_Game_Maxims:

Long enough to teach Orgeron the ins and outs of his defense me thinks!

MANVOL writes:

ERIC Berry will RULE in Monte's style of defense, Strip the BALL or intercept it..