Colquitt glad to be back punting for Vols

Britton Colquitt: Lesson learned, ready to play

Video

Coach Phillip Fulmer talks to the media Tuesday, Oct. 7 about how the team did against NIU and the upcoming game against Georgia. Watch »

Already 0-2, how many SEC games will Tennessee win?

See the results »

View previous polls »

From Sunday through Thursday, Britton Colquitt is right where he's always been. But for the first five games of Tennessee's football season, Colquitt has been somewhere else.

For the first time since 2003, when the former Bearden High School soccer and football standout grayshirted, he hasn't been in Neyland Stadium for a game.

He stayed back in Knoxville when the team traveled to Auburn and out to the Rose Bowl for its season opener against UCLA.

As a result of a February DUI arrest, Colquitt missed the first five games and lost his scholarship. But heading into Saturday's game at No. 10 Georgia (TV: WVLT, 3:30 p.m.), Colquitt is back in the fold.

"I'm thrilled," said Colquitt, who will start in place of Chad Cunningham against the Bulldogs. "I'm light as a feather. I couldn't be happier. The whole thing has been a blessing in my life, football and every part of it. I'm just glad to be back."

Tennessee, which is 115th in the nation in net punting and has had two punts blocked this season, is glad to have him back.

"Britton brings a lot of experience to it, and a much stronger leg from a punt standpoint," UT coach Phillip Fulmer said Sunday. "We have missed him greatly. I appreciate Chad's efforts and all that he's done."

In Colquitt's absence, Cunningham averaged 39.5 yards per punt with a long of 57 yards. Colquitt, though, has a stronger leg and has a career average of 42.4 yards per punt.

In 2006, he posted the fourth-best average in school history (44.9 yards per punt), behind cousin Jimmy (46.9 yards per punt in 1982), brother Dustin (45.3 yards per punt in 2003) and dad Craig (45 yards per punt in 1977).

Following his suspension, Colquitt brings not only a strong leg back to the starting lineup but he has a different outlook on football, too.

"A lot of times you don't know what you've got until it's gone," Colquitt said. "Just having it kind of taken from me for a little bit, I grew a new appreciation for it. The blessing that it really is, that God's given me the opportunity to be out here and the talent and everything."

Colquitt practiced with the Vols through spring drills and fall camp. He's been at practice this season, too. But on game days, he was at home in front of the television watching the Vols with his family.

"It was different watching," he said. "Obviously I didn't like it, but I got through it. It wasn't too bad. It feels like the season just started. That's what it feels like for me."

By virtue of missing UT's first five games, Colquitt said he feels fresh. Last fall, he missed a game early in the season with a quadriceps injury and the injury also limited him on kick-off duty.

Fulmer said Sunday that Colquitt will likely take over on kick-offs as well.

"I'm ready to do it if he calls me to do it," Colquitt said. "Chad's been hitting those pretty good though. It wouldn't be a bad thing if he got those and I got punts and we each could concentrate on that. But if it works out that I do kickoffs, that would be fine. Any way I can help the team."

While Colquitt's suspension didn't exactly help the Vols, Fulmer said it helped Colquitt.

"I'm not with him 24 hours a day, but he seemed to handle it well," Fulmer said. "It was meant to be hard. It was probably as hard on our football team as it was on him. But if it makes a point that helps him in life not to do silly, stupid things, then it was well worth it."

And when Saturday rolls around, Colquitt wants to make every chance he gets worth it, too.

"I feel like I'll go in the game and I'll appreciate every moment a lot more," he said. "Each punt, I won't take anything for granted. I won't half anything. I'll go at it with everything, with a thankful heart."

Related Links

dvols writes:

beer

thsvolfan15 writes:

well he hasnt played at all this year but hey he cant make any worse!!!

CoverOrange writes:

Three extra yards per punt, that'll bring us up all the way from 115th to about...109th? Whooop de doo.

We need a field goal kicker (among other things).

orangecountry21 writes:

Shankkkkk

rblakeh writes:

in response to DCflorida:

Niiiiice one!!! Heh heh heh.

MANVOL writes:

Can he run the football? That's the only way he can help at this point.

stormblast writes:

He must have known in advance what was going to happen this season started and got $*%#faced on purpose. And who could blame him.

Bottoms-up bro!

ncvol writes:

Glad to have you back Dustin...Stay straight and sober...We need you to kick the football and we have missed you.
Go Vols !

vtvol#210290 writes:

in response to sweeten_159#646196:

Yessir, Dustin is the man. Britton...not so much.

ncvol writes:

By staying straight- I meant on the straight and narrow path so you won't lose your job as a kicker again.
We have had a Colquitt for many years kicking for UT....
Go Vols !

MANVOL writes:

in response to sweeten_159#646196:

"Tn hadnt played up to hype this yr..".. How about they haven't played to there potential in 5 years. Forget the Hype. I've traveled with them all over this counrty following the the vols, they are not good, and it is due to coaching. There is some talent on the field but our coaches can't seem to tap into what little talent is left. Stop playing Foster, Creer has the speed to break thru our bad "O" line.

vtvol#210290 writes:

Does anybody here actually read the article before they post? The article is about Britton Colquitt not his brother, former Vol, Dustin.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Well, I guess this means we can kick it 3 more yards.

I hope he doesn't get much work in Athens.

murrayvol writes:

Must have been listening to some old Joni Mitchell tunes (Big Yellow Taxi) during his down time.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to vtvol#210290:

They are too drunk to read. Be glad they are driving a keyboard instead of a car.

ncvol writes:

Sorry for the mistake Britton. I will try not to mistake you for Dustin ever again....
Go Vols !

bluetick writes:

Well not sure how many kicks Britton has had blocked, but I think it is ZERO.. so that would make a difference in the averages.. don't ya think ? Retards. Sometimes there is a short field and they don't have room to punt it far or are trying to get it within the 10yrd line, but sometimes it also is a touchback and comes out to the 20 which means the average isn't as much. Playing field position during punts is as important as punting it far when you need to.

Anyways a punter in Jr high might be able to kick after taking 3 steps before they punt the ball, but in college it should be only two steps. THAT mostly is the reason Cunningham got blocked.. so don't lay it all on the blockers. I just hope Britton has learned his lesson and keeps his act together. If you want to get totally wasted, stay in your room.

BigVolinCarolina writes:

Welcome back, Britton.

Hope you've learned your lesson, have a great senior year and get a shot to play on Sundays.

WalkingClassic writes:

in response to 1stAndGoal:

First on the list is Butch Davis

VOLPhan writes:

OK, ya downer BUMS (me included), all the b1tch1n in the world isn't going to bring the season back. Just like Dustin, Lets go from here...

VOLPhan writes:

:-)

Greer_Vol_22 writes:

I'm ...your Ok coach. I'm not as think as you drunk I am. Weeeee there it goes....hello puppy...are you the mascot? I have a mascot...his name is Bruce!

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

That's what really burns. Many of us argued that his suspension would bite us in the butt, and it did. I'm not saying he should not have been punished. Maybe this helps Colquitt out, maybe he still lands a pro job.

One thing is for certain: no Colquitt after this year, and we will miss that.

PreventUT writes:

From Rocky-Bottom Times:

“Hamilton invested in a mediocracy backed security, but deregulation of subprime coaching practices has led to incrompetent play calls, few points, unexpected turnovers, and all time low receptions.

Hamilton fears the program will lose its support. Internet boards are already crashing and fans are growing increasingly concerned about another ungrateful depression. Fans are blaming coaches, coaches are blaming players, and the players are criticizing fans. High ranking future prospects are backing off their pledges to Fulmer. Disenfranchised students, now skipping games to paint rocks, have caused a reduction in game-day attendance. Ticket sales are down and it seems wealthy contributers are beginning to freeze their donations.

Hamilton worries a multi-million dollar bailout is needed to buy back his depreciated debts, which experts deem will become phooey by the end of this year. Attempts to trade Fulmer to another program at a reduced market price has been unsuccessful. A fund raising committee led by Jim Haslam of the Haslam Family Foundation is recommending that the taxes raised from increased ticket prices be used to pay for the seven-year rescue plan. He also offers a plan to illegaly fund a new coach once the debt is settled. Unfortunately, this proposal failed to gain traction in the locker room as a huge Phil-i-buster stood in its way. Hamilton's office released this statement today:

'Mr. Hamilton refuses to comment on the nonexistent yet ongoing search for a new coach that he's tirelessly working like heck not to find.'

His secretary informed the media that Hamilton is reviewing any irrelevant film to purport a source responsible for this current problem. High gas prices are suspected. He also wants coaches, fans, and players to know that he plans to take every other step necessary to insure this potential coaching crisis does not jeopardize his job security.”

VOLINCALI writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

We need a field goal kicker (among other things).

Slow down Turbo.

Field goal kicker, I wish all we needed was a field goal kicker.

newtonrail writes:

Unlike so many that posted in the past or Adams' articles on the subject, I'm glad Britton got another chance; and thought the punishment was appropriate considering when the first 3 incidents occurred. However, the first few posts tonight making light of the subject of DUI's is not appropriate. Of course 1/2 of what's on this board isn't appropriate.

JACK8254 writes:

in response to sweeten_159#646196:

I hope he enjoyed those drinks he had - cause it very posssible that we win the UCLA and Auburn if he plays. They were that close. Talk about letting your teammates down. Also, i will gripe all i frigging want to. You arent my daddy , so shut your pie hole.

Volomatic writes:

But you never know maybe britton is the missing link to the team. He practices with the team and the team does good. He's not there on gameday and the team does bad. Maybee after he bombs a 60 yarder it'll shock the team and get them playing. Just a thought but I'll have to "check the tape" cause I've been "workin like heck" on these beers
would be nice though

TommyJack writes:

Such hypocrisy. He's paid his debt. Lighten up.

gnm53108 writes:

Welcome back Britton.

Beat Georgia!
Go VOLS!

WeLoveTennesseeVols writes:

in response to sweeten_159#646196:

If Fulmer was softer on him, then the media would have critisized Phil on this. But Fulmer cared more about this young man's life than the football winning. Phil cares and believes in his people. So as fate would have it, Phil's job is now in jeapoardy because of punting(UCLA). Would we have beaten Auburn with better punting? Or Florida? Well Ole Miss beat Florida(at Gainesville too). Alabama is the team on a roll this year,the big red seems to have the zest to do it. Will we beat Georgia, and wait on Alabama to get here?

MidTennVol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Such hypocrisy. He's paid his debt. Lighten up.

Tommy, I agree with you far more than not, but this ain't one of those times.

True, this kid has paid his debt -- but it wasn't much or enough, in my view. It certainly wasn't fair.

FIVE chances to clean up his act...and he's still playing football for UT.

Going back to the Majors days, I can't remember any UT football player ever getting FIVE chances.

Most chronic offenders (drugs, alcohol, missing class, etc.) got three chances at most, if I remember correctly.

I'm hopeful the kid has learned his lesson, has his life together, and goes on to great things.

But the preferential treatment he got because of his surname and his family's lineage in Knoxville stinks to high heaven.

FedUpVolFan writes:

in response to MidTennVol:

Tommy, I agree with you far more than not, but this ain't one of those times.

FIVE chances to clean up his act...and he's still playing football for UT.

Amen!
He should have been booted off the team like any "ordinary name" player would have been!
This whole program sucks now!

mpm80#1357758 writes:

in response to VOLPhan:

:-)

Volgrad777 writes:

Good lord ,its a constant , even after the man corrected each of you , people continue to call him "Dustin". Dustin is long gone , this is his brother Britton. No wonder most of you goof balls thought Crompton should start last year. You dont even know who our former All Sec punter is. This weeks starting line-up on offense: QB-Harold Stephens( Nicks 40's something brother), RB-Lenord Creer-Lennons younger more affectionate cousin, TE- Puke Stocker-Lukes twin brother of course, C-Osh Cosh Bagosh Mcneil- Josh's smaller yet full of heart sister, well you get the point. If you wanna comment at least try and remember who we are talking about. I know wed all like to go back to say , 2001 but unfortunately its not happening.

Striker writes:

in response to DCflorida:

You lucky turd! Not only did you get the best quote, but you nailed it in the first post!

DCFlorida outstanding work my friend!

LMAO!

Striker writes:

in response to ncvol:

Go Vols !

Hey ncvol, you been drinkin' who you talkin to??

TommyJack writes:

in response to MidTennVol:

Tommy, I agree with you far more than not, but this ain't one of those times.

FIVE chances to clean up his act...and he's still playing football for UT.

Point taken, Daneman. But what's done is done..Now people are just piling on.

WVVOLFAN writes:

fulmer did not have this young mans best interests at heart. his parents paid a bunch of money to the university, and that is the only reason he is back. this kid could have killed someone on more than one occasion and now he is welcomed back as our starting punter and maybe doing kick offs. did you like how fulmer threw cunningham under the bus after last weeks partial block. maybe it has something to do with the spread formation CPF! kinda like fosters personal foul against UF. it's no wonder.

DroopyDrawers writes:

in response to MANVOL:

Can he run the football? That's the only way he can help at this point.

You have to have an offensive line to run the ball.

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

denamrkvol, fedupvol....

we've been over this ground. in phil's view, it was better punishment to have Britton MISS five games, yet have a SOLID GOAL to go towards. Everybody always wants cookie-cutter answers, but not every situation is cut-and-dried.

I don't have a lot to say about how Phil enforces team rules.

Finally, I'm reading this line: "He should have been thrown off the team, without question, and perhaps out of school."

That is certainly your opinion. I disagree. I don't agree when kids get thrown out for smoking weed, and I don't for any substance abuse. They are hooked, mentally dependant, adn if anything they need structure. WE are an odd society: we 'work like hell' to get people hooked on bad foods, on alcohol, drugs, tobacco, then turn right around and attack those very people we hook.

Striker writes:

in response to Timed_vol:

denamrkvol, fedupvol....

I don't have a lot to say about how Phil enforces team rules.

For the Million time, THEY ARE NOT "KIDS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many others are called "kids" in any other profession when they screw up??

Striker writes:

By the way i do agree with a bunch of your post however. Mostly "we 'work like hell' to get people hooked on bad foods, on alcohol, drugs, tobacco, then turn right around and attack those very people we hook", ive always found that funny about our society.

I do not agree with, "They are hooked, mentally dependant, adn if anything they need structure". There are people who use all of those things listed above from time to time and have normal lives. They are all around us, and dont always look like most would imagine.........

All that being said, this years UT football team has created many more heavy drinkers

xvolx writes:

put him in the g-gun. It's not working. too many things wrong with this team for a punter to help.

b_neas writes:

All you morons thinking that 3 more yards per average punt are not that meaningful need to wake up. Colquitt will be a great benefit from Cunningham, not only will he get zero of his punts blocked but his hang time is much much better allowing coverage to get down and in position to tackle. Duh, i wonder sometimes if anyone in here actually can watch a game understand what is going on.

gslaton#227127 writes:

Without question, his failed judgement probably cost his team at least one victory (UCLA). We'll never know. But, I do salute Coach Fulmer for taking that action knowing it would hurt his team's chances. Good Luck at Georgia.

xvolx writes:

his crime is not as bad as the crime fulmer has done with this program.

TommyJack writes:

in response to b_neas:

Exactly: Many on here would be well served to study "Idiots Guide to Football".

in response to volball09:

It is true that lots of teams are using the spread punt formation these days. However, it IS new for the Vols, and most aspects of our special teams show that they don't spend enough time practicing them or have good enough athletes on them. As with much else on this year's team, it is not the formations, it is the lack of execution which is killing us. Cunningham is also notoriously slow in getting his punts away. Here again, coaching is key. If your punter is slow, MAYBE he needs more protection and time to kick. The spread formation is designed to improve the coverage, but perhaps at the expense of requiring the punter to get his kicks off quicker.

djstatik writes:

GO BIG ORANGE! BEAT THE DAWGS!