Fans deliver boos; Crompton says 'we play for our football family, that's each other'

Tennessee fans from left, Pat Galligan, Andy Ollis, Chris Vettel, and TJ Rehme show their displeasure as Tennessee loses to Florida at Neyland Stadium Saturday.

Photo by Saul Young

Photo by Saul Young // Buy this photo

The boos were back Saturday during Tennessee's 30-6 loss to Florida.

After boos were part of the story during last week's lackluster victory over UAB, fans at Neyland Stadium began booing late in the second quarter following an incomplete pass by quarterback Jonathan Crompton.

The junior threw an interception just one play earlier that was called back when officials flagged Florida for having 12 men on the field.

The boos were heard again later in that drive when UT waited 15 seconds to call its last timeout with 16 seconds left on the clock.

The boos reigned down en masse when Crompton threw an interception in the end zone two plays later and continued when the clock expired and the teams headed to the locker room at halftime.

The boos returned in the third quarter when Crompton was tackled for a 5-yard gain on third-and-17.

"That's part of it," UT coach Phillip Fulmer said. "There's probably not anybody very happy with me right now. There's probably not very many happy with the quarterback right now."

Defensive end Robert Ayers didn't seem bothered by the boos.

"For people (to boo) that probably never played the game, it doesn't faze us," the senior said.

Crompton said he's only concerned with his teammates' and coaches' opinions of his play.

"You don't pay attention to them," Crompton said of the boos. "We play for our football family, that's each other.

"We know what we're capable of as an offense. I know what our defense is capable of. That's who we care about the most."

Center Josh McNeil was obviously stung by the public display of criticism.

"No comment. No comment," McNeil said as he just shook his head.

James Gang: If you're the type that likes to see the glass half full, at least Tennessee only has to face Brandon James one more time.

The return specialist took a Gator-sized chomp out of UT's upset hopes when he returned a punt 78 yards for a touchdown to give Florida a 17-0 first-quarter lead.

In more ways than one, it seemed like an ESPN Classic moment for the Gators, as if it hadn't been seen before.

That's because James returned a punt 83 yards for a touchdown against the Vols last season.

Rewind one more time. James would have had three in a row against UT had it not been for an illegal blocking call during another punt-return jaunt into the end zone in 2006.

Still, Fulmer wasn't focusing on James after the game.

Instead, Fulmer was citing the Vols' mistakes as bricks that paved James' road to the end zone.

"He's a good player," Fulmer said, "but that wasn't us."

Actually, it has been.

James has been at his best against UT. His longest punt returns for scores both came against the Vols.

"He's a very talented returner," said tight end coach Jason Michael, who coaches UT's punt team. "That was an emphasis this week. That wasn't a surprise.

"Obviously, his quickness is harder to tackle."

Punter Chad Cunningham accepted some of the blame for punting the ball on the hash mark and not closer to the sideline.

"You want it as far as possible over to the sideline as you can get it," Cunningham said. "I could have definitely done a lot better punt than I gave our coverage team.

"I take blame for that. But I'm sure we probably missed a couple of tackles."

Four as a matter of fact, which coincidentally is the number of James' career punt returns for a touchdown, tying Jacquez Green's school record.

To establish his own mark, James has the better part of two seasons left in his career - and a favorable match-up against UT looming in September 2009.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2008, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

TommyJack writes:

Perhaps Crompton should put a plug in his pie-hole.

cdonsbach writes:

I left at the start of the 4th quarter and didn't boo at any point in the game, though I don't think the players should be upset if fans boo them. They're going to school for free and need to grow thicker skin if boos bother them, lest they become Vince Young clones when and if they reach the pros.
I'll still go to the rest of the home games this year, but I will not stay to watch a team that has CLEARLY given up before the game is over.

cdonsbach writes:

in response to tngeoff#226726:

Yeah, it was, and it was embarrassing.

newtonrail writes:

I was raised in a different era..The boos were sickening. Some of the play was sickening, but there are ways to address that, and ultimately fire the AD and HFC if necessary. We didn't boo the sorry play before, during, and after the changeover from the Single Wing to the T Formation. When Majors was rebuilding team or in '88, we didn't Boo the teams. I know things change, but football hasn't actually changed that much since the forward pass. How you package it changes. But the elements of the "New" Spread formation were in the Single Wing and Veer. We may need a "House Cleaning", I don't know. I don't want to go through rebuilding, because I don't know how many more seasons The Lord will allow me.

Jshoop writes:

Go Vols.

bluetick writes:

Ridiculous!

imnotwithphil writes:

Wow - our players are arrogant, self-centered and out of touch with their fan base... just like their coaches!

Well... I'm glad to see that our highly paid coaching staff was able to teach them SOMETHING.

dcvolfan98 writes:

For the players: you get to go to school for free. You have some of the best facilities in the country to practice in and work out at. You get to play a game you love in front of 100,000+ and millions on TV. You're not fazed by those boos? Maybe you should be.

Who spends loads of money on tickets? Who donates all that money so you can have those top-notch facilities? Who buys all of the merchandise and proudly displays it at games and pretty much anywhere else? Most likely, it's those of us who never played the game. All most of us want is to see players play hard and smart and coaches to do their part. If the money stops coming, then bad things happen.

utvol26#342884 writes:

imnotwithphil writes:

Boy you hit the nail on the head.. its really sickening.. its becoming painfully obvious to me too... they can't stand to be criticized.. grow some thick skin guys. More changes needed on the hill, without a doubt, starting at the top, with Fulmer the first to go. Its time.

I_Sweat_Orange writes:

Coach Fulmer it's time to nut up and make a decision !!!! Who stays and who goes !!!

TommyJack writes:

in response to newtonrail:

You hang tough, Rail Man.

Mr_Bandman writes:

Defensive end Robert Ayers didn't seem bothered by the boos.

Do these guys think they're playing a pick-up game in an open field somewhere? They represent something much bigger than themselves, and that something is exactly what is booing them!

Also, this blew me away: "Attendance: The announced attendance was 106,138 for Saturday's game. Neyland Stadium was mostly full with the exception of the upper level student section and some higher rows in the south end zone."

WTF---this was Tennessee-Florida, and there were empty seats?!?!?! That says everything that needs to be said about the state of things on Rocky Top. Geez....

Volfeva writes:

I will never go to another ut football game until fat phil is gone And florida is right we quit last time we quit this time things need to change they are sorry they will not win 1 sec game this year im fed up with this phooey!!!!!!!!!

budrhon writes:

And indicator of where this program has gone, the mentality of the "me" athlete, a Head Coach who may be looking at his last season and a product that has diminished tremendously. Florida was flat out better. Today was pitiful and sadly it will not get better. I guess the guys at coacheshotseat.com had it right this summer when they predicted this team to be 6-6 at years end. It might be worst than that.

budd#207344 writes:

Somebody needs to tell Mr.Crompton that if the fans don't buy tickets he won't have a football family. That's how it is when you want to be a big time QB for a big time team. You gotta produce. Or the PAYING PUBLIC will boo you for continued lackluster performance. It's like getting an F in class.

twmartin21#209204 writes:

Tennessee fans suck as bad as this offense-booing,leaving early in droves,all negative posting!All this has to hurt recruiting.Imagine how the recruits perceived all this-stumbling bumbling team and negative fans.Does everybody now understand how good Ainge and Cutcliff were.The sad part is that we are very close to being competitive with anyone if we eliminate the mistakes.

BSweet writes:

I don't believe in booing the players, but I understand the outrage of the fans who did boo. This isn't TN football we're seeing.

Crompton needs to remember his free education and the privelege of playing for UT are at least in part to the fans. If football didn't generate the revenue it does, he wouldn't have this oppurtunity. If it weren't for fans, that revenue wouldn't be there. I understand his frustration, but he needs to put that free education to better use and recognize what we as fans have given him and stop sounding like a spoiled, ungrateful brat. Football is played for the fans because without us you wouldn't have your nice, comfy life.

wyomingvol writes:

Crompton is a joke.

VolInMemphis writes:

I know the News-Sentinel has to LOVE In-Cromp-etant. Every time he opens his mouth, he dismisses his "haters", but then he goes out and his play is the complete opposite of what he says. How much longer do we have to "just wait", Jon? Are we going to have to wait until Wyoming or N. Illinois before we see you break out?

I played football from little league all the way through HS, but that's irrelevant to the issue of booing. You don't necessarily have to have played the game to know the game. Anybody who booed was simply calling a spade a spade. Man up and actually play like you've got a pulse and you won't have to worry about booing. Contrary to what some people around here think, you're not kids, your're grown men.

lfrittzy16#222804 writes:

Players- Your right, most of us never played college football because the Good Lord saw it fit for us to do something else. And whatever it was, I hope we try our hardest to be the best and the most professional in whatever we do....God gave you talent to play football...SO PLAY THE DANG GAME. Dont get in fights, dont commit penalties, play your butts off, and show us that you deserve the free ride you are getting to a college thousands of kids your age would give a left arm to go to

Coaches- Fulmer, its time buddy...i have held my tongue but you have no clue how to prepare your players to play football. Clawson, there has nothing you have shown me that says you are our best option...Crompton looks lost out there (and you say he has talent) so my guess is you have no clue how to shepherd him and prepare him mentally or physically. Chavis, the defense always has playmakers...but you consitantly put them into situations where they look silly (i.e. 3rd and 13 and you have 3 down linemen? Knowing full well tebow is a good passer but you have no desire to put pressure on him..it baffles me) Special teams coach- please take the scrubs off of special teams and put walk ons or guys that would give thier all just to run down after the ball and knock the phooey out of someone...

I wasnt at the game, but I was booing at home...not at the kids, but the coaching. They put them in a situation to fail and to look like a 2-AA high school team. Thier lack of preperation is astonishing

Lets home guys like eric berry dont transfer!!!

cutnitclose#637625 writes:

I'm just wondering why we never saw Nick S. tonight, it would seem it would be a good time to make a change as it appears Crompton doesn't appreciate the job... I think Nick actually looked better than JC last week.. I'm still wondering what changes Clawson has made so far.. Kinda makes me wonder if Reggie Sanders would be interested in coming back.. He is the only offensive cordinator to win a National championship in the Fulmer era if I'm not mistaken

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Perhaps Crompton should put a plug in his pie-hole.

agree with that, one stupid comment after another from this guy---he seems obvious to it all

CoverOrange writes:

Those quotes remind me of Rick Clausen's attitude. They should be embarrassed and be apologizing to us not circling the wagons.

Volfeva writes:

I caint take this I LOVE TN. Its is killing me we have so much talent at wr tb (foster???) Hardesty needs to be the go to guy. But crompton no take him out try nick stevens

p.s Foster is awful in the redzone

skooter writes:

Don't care much for the booing.But I am beginning to understand it.these players do seem arrogant and spoiled.but what i saw was a Florida team that was just better than UT. We aren't as fast ,mean or mentally as tough as they were.And I see no leadership. on the field or sidelines.I love my vols, but it's very frustrating cheering a team running on 4 cylinders playing against one that is hitting on all 8 and using premium gas too.Somebody needs to check our recruiting list,cause we don't have a lot of 4-5 star players anymore.

dma38256#264746 writes:

Put the blame where it belongs....Don't blame the players...they are in the middle...the blame starts with the coaching...

ibvolman writes:

in response to Mr_Bandman:

Defensive end Robert Ayers didn't seem bothered by the boos.

Agree with you 100%. Perhaps the whole problem rests in the fact that the coaching staff has failed to get the poit across that these guys are playing for something bigger than they are. For Crompton to say we play for ourselves is ridiculous, self-centered, and immature. Granted, the boo's are in poor taste, but there again, if the play merrits it...

vol_fan99 writes:

They should care about what the fans think. It is because of us they have a football family and program!

Slacker writes:

If Crompton was any kind of a leader, he would step up and admit that it was his crappy play that cost UT the game. Running into the fullback and fumbling and , throwing into coverage in the endzone, cost UT 14pts. I think maybe it's time to give the backup QB a shot. Maybe it will light a fire under Crompton. He certainly can't do any worse. This is tuning into a major train wreck in a hurry.

TommyJack writes:

in response to dma38256#264746:

Exactly

tenuscvol writes:

Crompton is not a good as he thinks he is. He needs to understand that and work his butt off to stop the stupid reads, mistakes and other aspects of his negative contributions to this team. I wanna see the backup. I don't think I can support Crompton this year and next. I live in Bama so you can imagine the junk I gotta listen to.

Maybe we can smack Bama around since we get them at home.

Our national image is one of a bunch of goofs!

sad, sad....

slov_knits writes:

ugly..ugly

zebra7933 writes:

OK. I have supported the team as all of us have for many many year. The team lost. Mistakes, as have been the case in all games we lose, were the difference. Anyone can make excuses, the coaches can say whatever, but the players have to play. One cannot make mistakes against one of the best teams in the country. We did and they cost us the game. Not the coaches, not the public address anouncer...the players. Crompton has had alot of adversity thrust upon him....I thought outside of a couple of plays...he played very well. Peyton threw I think 5-6 interceptions once or twice....he tried. The whole team played their hearts out. With what I have seen in the SEC this year, the game is far from over. Get up, dust yourself off, and win the next one. No easy games this (or any other) year in the SEC. We compete every year. Can't expect to repeat 1998. I'll take getting rid of the defensive staff and revamping that. The go from there. Outdated, but to their credit, I thought we did play well on the defensive end today, outside of the getting burnt on the jump pass...again.

solomonswisdom writes:

Hey! Can't we just awlll get alawung? The Vols just want to be loved, is that so wrong? Tito, get me a tissue.

bcm4ut writes:

Take sorry azz Bob Kesling and Chavis with you when you go Phil. You three lard azzes should be on the biggest loser tv show. All of the mainstays in our program are fat out of shape lazy mfers. That should say enough about our program. Players are a reflection of their coaches. Im loaded if thats a crummy post.

bcm4ut writes:

If you are looking for orange kool aid throughout the south, its all at zebra7933's house. All the Fulmer lovers should be drawn and quartered!

DennisVols writes:

"we know what we are capable of"
Well if you know what you are capable of then why do we keep seeing this?
Not playing up to you full capisity is another sign of poor coaching.
I have been a Fulmer supporter in the past but this year has broken me of that. Not even our 1 win was impressive.
Too many mistakes to mention have lead UT to become a non-factor nationally and in the SEC.
CBS's announcers even said this team could not beat Ole Miss or Vandy.
Boos are from dissapointed fans who are asked to pay more to see a game that is offering less and less.
If you are capable of doing better and you fail to do so then you are ripping the buying public off.

FedUpVolFan writes:

Please! Read the 2 following statements carefully! Speaks volumes of where this program is!

"You test someone's maturity level when you go on the road,'' Gators coach Urban Meyer said. "I made the comment to the guys at the hotel last night, I want them to conduct themselves as a professional athlete.

vol4good#206163 writes:

feels Just like the Arse Whoopin TN got against Florida last year. We could have copy and pasted our comments from that game to this one. Cant believe Crompton thought Tennessee should have won. And, how many 3 and outs did our D force? I only remember One. Thats not Great D. Morley looked 4 steps slower than Harvin and frankly only Berry seemed as fast or faster than anyone on Fl.

VOLinGA writes:

Nothing will change until people start talking with their $$. Don't support a bad product and that product will change.

rblakeh writes:

Booing collegiate athletes is stupid and classless.

Everyone has a long list of complaints, but none of you can offer a single solution. "Fire this guy and hire that guy. Pass it more to this guy. This guy should be playing more." Ok, great, you've pointed out the obvious. Now find a way to make it happen. Submit your application to the AD and see how the interview process goes. Best of luck to you.

I'm just as disappointed as the rest of you, but this is life. You can buck up, circle the wagons, and support your football team until the year is complete, or you can whine on internet message boards (that no one of any consequence reads) like a bunch of soft wimps. For the next 10-odd games we have the coaches we have, and we have the players we have.

The players today played lights out, even when they were in bad positions (due to coaches and/or player error). They did some dumb stuff and made some big mistakes, no doubt about it. But 'quit' was not in their vocabulary. It's a good thing that the players play for each other, because a big chunk of fans at Neyland don't deserve the effort that the players put forth today. For all of you ragging on Jon Crompton, I saw him take a SHOT from a UF linebacker/safety and barely go down. He popped right back up and was in the huddle. This is when we were down 27-0 in the 4th quarter. That's heart. That's leadership. Any of us would have already given up, or needed to be carted off the field. Crompton's QB skills are lacking right now, but his confidence, love of his team, and willigness to lay it on the line for his teammates certainly is not.

Don't even get me started on the effort put forth by Eric Berry all the way up to when the clock read 0:00. That guy is as good as they come.

Ok. Flame away.

lfrittzy16#222804 writes:

in response to rblakeh:

Booing collegiate athletes is stupid and classless.

Ok. Flame away.

i agree on one point...ERIC BERRY but respondng to everything else...

What game were you watching and how are you and Fulmur related?

lights out huh?!?

coach75 writes:

I never thought that I would get to the point that I don't care to watch a UT game. I am more excited to see other sec teams play and that includes vandy.

rblakeh writes:

I say that we shouldn't boo the players and that they put forth effort, so I must be related to Fulmer? I'm not sure I follow.

Lights out in terms of effort. That has nothing to do with many of the stupid, undisciplined actions they chose to commit.

MANVOL writes:

in response to rblakeh:

Booing collegiate athletes is stupid and classless.

Ok. Flame away.

I travelled all over this country watching the Orange and White for as long as I can remember. Only games I have missed are the CA games. I have circled the wagons, buttoned up my chinstrap, and strapped on for the VOLS epecially since 2005. The wheels have finally fallen off the wagon. What I hope the players understand is that the contract that was given for Fulmer from Hamilton is the cause for all the anger and hostility. The contract hung the football coach instead of giving him stability..

bobbarbilly writes:

The family he plays for appears to be a bit disfunctional right now and that is causing the paterfamillias to hop around like he has the hot foot.

ChattVol2485 writes:

"That's part of it...There's probably not anybody very happy with me right now. There's probably not very many happy with the quarterback right now."

Oh really? Crompton hasn't had a clue since he stepped on campus. He's a good kid, but he might be better suited for a job running the register at the Clinton Highway Walmart and/or managing games for the Karns grass cutters.

"For people (to boo) that probably never played the game, it doesn't faze us,"

Well, last time I checked we are the people who pump money into the school and the athletic program. That scholarship you have is paid for by all of us who come out to the games and shell-out tons of money in the form of donations. We boo for a reason...because you all couldn't stick your fingers up your butts with a blueprint.

Maybe you should include the people who pay for your football experience at UT into your football family. Maybe you should play for your football family, UT fans, UT players of the past, and our heritage. Crompton will go down in UT history under the prestigious category of "Turd of the Year" along with A.J. Suggs, Eric Locke, and Kelly Washington.

Congrats D-bag!

Go Vols!!!

tenn4 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Perhaps Crompton should put a plug in his pie-hole.

It is sickening to hear players take a stab at the fans when they need to look at themselves. People pay a lot of money that they may or may not have to fill those seats year in and year out to see Tennessee football, allowing the team all of the perks and prestige of playing in Neyland Stadium. Its not that you lost, but how. There are pee wee league teams that are more fundamentally sound than our vols, like taking snaps, ball control and tackling. And yes there are people in the the seats that have played or would love to have the opportunity that the players are squandering. People always want to criticize coaches but the players are not executing and by comments made by some players, those some have no pride or heart for this program. Its all about me right fellas? You embarrassed your coach, your team and this great state. Shut up. Grow Up and Man Up. Get it together.

meewes23 writes:

I love my Vols and I love my Crompton and I love my Fulmer because they all bleed orange, but it's not about individuals, they represent 100's of thousands of people who represent what it means to be a VOL. I don't see that out there. I don't see passion. I don't see anything. I've played the game Mr Ayers, and I could have kicked the phooey out of you tonight. You didn't make a play until the fourth quarter when the gators were just playing with you. When you get booed it is for a damn good reason and when it happens you may put your head down for a minute but you get right back to work and you get ready to kick some a. All of you vols need to grow a pair and play some dang football. Shut your mouth and earn your scholorship. This ain't the pac-10, the big 10 or the big 12, this is the SEC baby, lets go!!! If you all weren't that good we wouldn't boo because we knew you were doing your best, but we know you are better than this, but it doesn't show up on the field. Ya'll need to start havin some fun and playin some dang football. Screw the fans, screw the commentators, go out and have some fun. We'll always be right there to support you when you decide to show up!!!

MANVOL writes:

C-LOWE I couldn't agree more!