Oku's visit good news for Tennessee

The David Oku roller coaster has hit a new spin. And that's good news for Tennessee.

The 5-foot-10, 185-pound tailback from Carl Albert High School in Midwest City, Okla., all but called UT his leader following his official visit this weekend.

"I've still got to take some other visits," said Oku, who will travel to Nebraska and Michigan in the next two weeks. "I don't want to say they (the Vols) are (the leader) but it would take a lot for another school to top what I've seen here so far."

That's quite a turnaround. Oku told the News Sentinel he was only marginally considering UT little more than a week ago.

"They've always been up there," Oku said of the Vols. "I've just been giving people some thoughts with some false information.

"That was just to give people a different thought, I guess."

Oku was so fond of his official visit this weekend that he'll return for the Alabama game in October. With any luck, he'll have the same Vol hostess.

"I have a lovely hostess who's showing me everything," Oku said when asked of the trip's highlights. "She's been lovely and I appreciate her.

"If I wasn't with her, it probably wouldn't be as fun as it is."

That wasn't the only draw to Knoxville.

"It just feels good," he said. "The coaches don't ever talk to you about committing. They just talk to you about what's going on."

Oku represents quite a recruiting coup for the Vols. With his pledge, UT would have two commitments from elite tailbacks for the 2009 class.

Both Oku and Jarvis Giles from Gaither High School in Tampa, Fla. are among the top 100 prospects in the nation.

"Evidently," Oku said, "Tennessee is doing their job."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2008, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

smashmouth98 writes:

come on we need you!!!!!!!!!

DemocratVol writes:

A petition to call for the end of the Phillip Fulmer era.

threehundredbowler writes:

we need something or someone for sure.If we can't coach them up ,no need to bring them in.

junder13 writes:

Good news for UT football indeed. Hopefully for Oku and Giles, the coaches (whomever they end up being) will utilize their talents b/c from the film I've see, they're loaded with talent!

Here's to hoping Oku makes it official and Giles sticks w/ his!

junder13 writes:

D*mn, what did his Vol hostess do for him exactly?!?!? He needs to be careful what he says there. I don't think it's me being dirty-minded in thinking what most ppl would have to wonder after reading that. I'm sure its nothing, but if it were it could get the program in a lot of trouble! I'm just saying...

CampVol writes:

Junder. Agree! A hostess that is "showing him everything"?!?! No wonder TN is leading!

TNfaninMS writes:

Junder and Camp you are idiots. To even insinuate the thought of that it sick. Give me a break.

BigOrangeHustler writes:

in response to DemocratVol:

A petition to call for the end of the Phillip Fulmer era.

Typical democRat, like the late, great Ronald Reagan said, "The problem is democrats look at every day as if it is April 15th, and Republicans view everyday as July 4th"

We'll leave it at that.

TNfaninMS writes:

I thought this was a FOOTBALL board not a gossip column. Lets talk about what is going on in football.

TNfaninMS writes:

Amen BigOrange.

pammyvol1000 writes:

There must be something in TN these guys like. Is it the coaches? yes.. Is it the atmosphere? yes. Fans? yes even the booing ones..so maybe there is hope.

We just need a QB to take over and run things..

DennisVols writes:

Can't forget Torney Williams from GA either. His stock is rising quickly averaging more than 200 yards a game this year and could well wind up as the top running back in the state

pammyvol1000 writes:

Does anybody know where Oliver is thinking of going since he de-committed? and there was one more that was committed but thinking LSU.

Savage, how good did we really impress this weekend?

pammyvol1000 writes:

Is Toney Willliams committed yet to UT? if not, what are his schools?

rblakeh writes:

UT is terrible at recruiting no one good is ever interested in our school.

Volalumnus writes:

Hope they are commited to TN and not Fulmer because he isn't going to last.

Time to refund the fans that got sold they would be seeing TN football saturday afternoon in Neyland.

Refund.

spvol writes:

rblakeh, you're an idiot.

ggriggs939#223122 writes:

I would sign a petition to disenfranchise those who post on this site and to remove the license of the news sentinel to write its biased tripe.

Volalumnus writes:

We need refunds.

AlpharettaVol writes:

Toney Williams (Milton High in Alpharetta, GA, a AAAAAA school) got four more TDs Friday night. In case you've forgotten, he got seven (yes, seven!) in the first game of the season. He committed to the Vols back in the spring. This is the same school that produced Sean Bailey, a wide receiver from Georgia last year and son of former Falcons receiver Stacy Bailey.

ANGRYWOLF writes:

in response to BigOrangeHustler:

We'll leave it at that.

You need to keep your silly right wing politics out of this..this is a football topic....

I did see Miami running their version of the G-gun and it looked better than UT's version....

Hope the potential recruits aren't discouraged and give UT a shot.

CampVol writes:

in response to TNfaninMS:

Get a sense of humor. That was funny.

CT_VOL writes:

Our hostess must have kept him occupied during the game. I say this not because I suspect anything naughty. I say this because no young rational man with promise could ever want to play for the program after watching the game.

Frank

tnvolfan30 writes:

in response to DemocratVol:

A petition to call for the end of the Phillip Fulmer era.

We'll leave it at that.

What a bunch of phooey.

TDTN writes:

Oku sounds like a great recruit but last week Rivals reported he had a 2.4 gpa and a 15 ACT. I dont want to get too excited about someone who may not even be able to get in or stay in school. Sometimes its best to pass on the marginal guys. I hope he is able to improve and make the grades needed. I dont want to be sweating bullits all the time as to him being eligible each game. Good luck in recruiting him and good luck to him being eligible.
We could use him! I appreciate what Foster has done for us but I think we will be better at running back when he graduates. Too often he is pulled down by the back side DE because he is too slow hitting the hole or turning the corner. Hardesty starts with Creer #2.

WeLoveTennesseeVols writes:

We all pray for coach Fulmer and the team to come against the lewd and crude attacks against them. If people don't like the watch the vols don't come to the games. I watched the whole game, it gives us something to improve on. Like rats deserting a sinking ship. You people are pitiful. If i wished for you what you wish for others what would you call me?

chad_t31 writes:

This is really good news. I feared the worst from the recruits who were on hand of yet another massacre.

wildberry14 writes:

junder and them definitely arent being dirty minded, and the thought shouldnt make you sick. if you have seen the girls that take these guys around, you would know that they arent showing them classrooms. they take them wherever girls or parties are. and i hope they do "show everything" because why else would a good recruit choose UT over other schools? we have nothing to offer.

JWilly writes:

When a guy says he has been dishonest in the past for no good reason, I'm not certain I can trust most of what he says now.

The Vols will win a few more games this year, maybe even an upset or two, but this program has sunk as low (or lower) than it was with either J. Majors or B. Battle. If Phil has one tiny smidgen of integrity left, he will resign soon. But don't bet the farm on it!

richvol writes:

I wouldn't be surprised to see the staff switch him to DB. Case in point would be Gerald Williams, a 6'4" 260lb Linebacker, who can run, being moved to end.

I mean who needs a big middle linebacker when we have one 5'10" (on a good day maybe) and a backup that is not even 5'9"? These boys are good enough but is that what we are about now...good enough?

rblakeh writes:

@spvol

I'm the idiot, but you can't recognize blatant sarcasm. OK.

hufstedler02 writes:

in response to IdentityTheftVictim09:

First off, people got on you about booing because it is true. It is as much they way we act as it is anything. Second, Giles and the QB both said they couldn't believe fans were booing. They also said they were disappointed by it. That article was on this very website just yesterday. So it is true. Apparently they love the coaching staff that you guys want to fire more than they dislike fans such as yourself.

hufstedler02 writes:

in response to Volalumnus:

Hope they are commited to TN and not Fulmer because he isn't going to last.

Refund.

Mark it down. Fulmer will be the coach next year. Why don't you guys go pull for Bama? We don't need ya.

hufstedler02 writes:

in response to supersmo18:

Maybe you didn't know it but Crompton was rated just behind Mark Sanchez of USC and Ryan Periloux(spelling) formerly of LSU. So, we thought we had a good one.

Singaporehillbilly writes:

in response to DemocratVol:

A petition to call for the end of the Phillip Fulmer era.

This post has no place on the recruiting page.

bloodrunsorange writes:

demcratevol, we know how you feel. This is America you can feel how you want no matter how wrong you are, but you keep posting it over and over and over! Forget everything, everybody else, and the future of the program just give me what I want NOW. Do this mess after the season; it’s not helping anything or anybody NOW! The players, the coaches, or the administration will not respond favorably to these self indulgences. Remember this is a recruiting article not a personal box for you to stand on. Try hard NOT to run players off. Whomever the Coach, we can’t win without players and you’re trying to run them off. It makes no sense if you are for UT Football! Go Vols!

ps11824 writes:

in response to bloodrunsorange post 9/24 2:32 pm

Nice post which addresses the "entitlement mentality" we are seeing all over the net. 'Give me what I want or I will huff & puff (vengeance & vulgarities) until I get it.' I agree with a lot of these folks in theory; of course I want to win and I want to land all the top recruits, but the manner in which many express themselves is just plain selfish indignity. Oftentimes things must hit rocky top bottom, to get better. That does not in any way mean our attitudes must follow the downward spiral.

I've been accused of drinking the kool-ade. Well yes, I do, and the Orange flavor is my drink of choice, has been and will always be. I invite you all to join me in a toast to The Orange & White - Go Vols! Turn this Rocky Top around!