Jones is OK if G-Gun dismantled

Video

UT wide receiver, Gerald Jones, talks to the media following Tuesday's practice. According to Jones, there's no need for him to play quarterback for the Vols this season. Watch »

Tennessee receiver Gerald Jones likes playing quarterback; he just doesn't like having to play quarterback.

"It's great, me not having to go at quarterback and make something happen or some crazy thing like that," Jones said after practice Tuesday.

Jones said he felt a more athletic quarterback was a necessity last season in order to help UT's struggling offense.

"I thought, personally, putting me and (safety) Eric (Berry) back at quarterback would help us with our quarterback situation because our quarterbacks were new to the system," Jones said. "It was their first year really starting."

With those concerns alleviated, Jones has a different mindset toward the G-Gun.

"It doesn't concern me if I play quarterback or not," he said. "I came here to play receiver so if I don't ever play quarterback again, so be it."

UT coach Lane Kiffin has said he has no intention to play Jones at quarterback this spring but could do so in fall practice. Jones understands, especially after seeing UT's passers perform in a new offense.

"They've been playing so well during spring ball that there's no need for me to go back there," Jones said. "They're taking care of business."

So does that mean Jones is completely done playing quarterback? Not quite.

"I would like to do it every now and then," Jones said with a smile.

Full Go: It's apparent that the Vols will be reliant on a more traditional fullback than in the recent past. Kevin Cooper and Austin Johnson have played key roles so far this spring.

"Kevin has really been a highlight of camp as far as how physical he's been and he's picking up the system really well," Kiffin said. "The fullback's extremely critical in this system. We play a lot with the fullback when we can, and so both the guys are doing well.

"We threw them some balls today and they made some plays. Unfortunately, we turned one of them over, but they're doing really well."

Johnson was guilty of the fumble following a short reception. That's been a rare mistake for the sophomore who has shown he has the hands to be a pass-receiving threat.

"I want to be a playmaker," Johnson said, "and I want to be able to block for this team."

Quarterback Jonathan Crompton has already noticed just how versatile UT's fullbacks can be.

"They're athletic enough that if we want to put them out wide, we can put them out wide," he said.

No Pushovers: UT's effective rushing attack - especially on short yardage - had even the receivers talking on Tuesday.

"The difference between this year and last year is they've got somebody on their back to push them to the limit to make sure they're going to do it," Jones said. "They've got the mindset that they won't be denied. They won't be stopped.

"It's one yard. We have a great back in the backfield that can pick it up. All they have to do is get a push and they do it."

Practice Performer: Quinton Hancock continues to be a standout performer in spring practice. Kiffin said the senior receiver had two consecutive great practices.

Hancock had two touchdown catches on Saturday and a key reception that kept a drive alive on Tuesday.

The practice performances from Hancock are hardly new. He has regularly stood out in practices only to go largely unnoticed in games.

"I'm not worried about that," Kiffin said. "Whatever happened before was a different time. I know what he's done since we've been here, and we're really excited. We expect nothing except for him to continue to get better."

Tyler Take: Kiffin said he has been impressed with former Maryville High School standout Tyler Maples.

"Really has improved," Kiffin said of the sophomore receiver. "When we were out without a ball, the first few days, I was a little nervous about him moving around and stuff. He's really taken the offense and improved.

"He's gotten a few shots here and there and continues to get more."

Drew Edwards contributed to this report.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

CalPoly_Vol_Fan writes:

First...

UT 63
UF 3

...Write it down.

Ironcity writes:

I hope that we can once again be that team that can always get a yard when they need it. Its been a long time since we could do that.

OneTrueVol writes:

I know none of the former players want to disrespect Fulmer but it sounds like these guys didn't feel pushed to be their best before. I thought that was the case for a long time. It's nice to hear some good things from the players.

orange__hammerhead writes:

off the subject - bad news

Stallworth charged with DUI manslaughter

these guys have a hard time staying out of trouble.

DennisVols writes:

UT-28
UF-24
Write it down. Word out of Gainesville is the Gators new offensive schems aren't working and crying Meyer is concerned.
UT will control the ball, limit mistakes and our defense will force T-ball into making mistakes.

lomas98 writes:

in response to DennisVols:

UT-28
UF-24

Lets wait on predictions until we see what this team looks like. Meyer will not be concerned about his offense with #15 running it. I think we have 2 real games to play before FL anyway and one of them is against a team that beat us last year. Hopefully we are 2-0 when the FL game arrives. I bet Kiffin will not be as vanilla as the previous regime before the FL game and I think we will really know what we have when we play them.

TENECSTUD writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

GOT ANY INSIDE ON BROWN, OR OKU, ARE THEY ENROLLED YET? WHEN WILL THEY BE ELIGABLE FOR PRACTICE?

txvolsfan writes:

in response to DennisVols:

UT-28
UF-24

I hear he has been focusing on spring practice in south bend, to see how his team will be next year

belayvol writes:

Not a fan of the G-Gun or any other type of it. Pretty predictable in our offense it would be a run. Now if they actually threw out of it sometimes.....But then i like the Statue Of Liberty play.

DennisVols writes:

in response to lomas98:

I know just wanted to poke the Gator trolls that swim in the UT pool.

belayvol writes:

in response to DennisVols:

I know just wanted to poke the Gator trolls that swim in the UT pool.

No use peeing in the pool, they are used to swimming in that.

stayingorange writes:

The thing I like most about reports from spring practice is the wide array of names that are called out for performing. Kevin Cooper was a great recruit who rarely was heard from, had a few positive plays then fell into the shadows again. It's the same with Hancock, Warren and many others. Put the players on the field and let them make plays. If they can't, so be it, but they've got to have the chance. We've had too may top recruits who we never heard from again.

SwagVol writes:

in response to the_great_pumpkin:

Maybe you should go back and look at the post and score you responded to with such rage a little closer. It's not a bad thing. I think an apology is in order.

DennisVols writes:

in response to 99aintagator:

The average gayto can't count to 56 without the help of 5 of his buddies to add their fingers into to count.
Keep beliving that you will even come close to scoring that much. The higher you go the greater the fall.

belayvol writes:

in response to 99aintagator:

Just far enough to land square on your head and push you into the turf. Eat up boyz, it's organic.

thevoice writes:

Sneaky suspicion that Crompton will be our No. 1 this Fall.

BigVolFaninSC writes:

I think it's a tad bit early to be making predictions about the Florida game! I'd rather speak softly and carry a BIG ORANGE stick! Let the players do the talking on the field after the victory! GO VOLS!! Where's the count down 'til kickoff?

TENECSTUD writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

Thanks UTfan, ANOTHER question? Tennessee will have a completely new look on both sides of the ball this year, in your opinion which school in our conference will struggle the most with the new look, and will they struggle more defending or on offense?

VOLS_R_BEST_DEAL_WITH_IT writes:

in response to DennisVols:

UT-28
UF-24

Na man

UT-31

UF-24

101st_AIRBORNE_VOL (Inactive) writes:

in response to volsgatorbait:

Do you even live in Florida?! I lived in Florida and now reside in Johnson City. Trust me, Florida is just as much as, if not more, inhabited by toothless, English language-massacring idiots. Oh yeah, you need to learn the difference between true hillbillies and redneck white trash. I'm proud to be a ridge runner, and I seriously don't think you'd have the guts to insult me, or other hillbillies, face to face. Just get lost jackazz.

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

The G-Gun would have been ok had we been a threat to pass out of it.

Since Phil blew it in 93 against Bammer with Deuce running that he has been trying to figure it out."sctaching head"?
Strange indeed.

I was glad Majors has been back around the field.
Had we had him in 93 with Heath Schuluer we may have won the NC.
Think I am crazy? Nope just a VOl fan who knows whats up!!!

On that Fla vs BIG ORANGE prediction its going to be closer than some might expect based on my own beliefs.
I like a no huddle ground game alternating backs and a team very scared of your passing game that they cannot stop you and or your physicalness as well don't YOU????????????????????????

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

GAYQUEERDerBAIT loves gayders!!!!!!!!!

Vol_from_birth writes:

looks like the offense is coming together this year! i love the fact that were getting good receiver play this spring. the running game sounds solid, and the quarterbacks are improving. cant wait to see what monte can do with the defense...

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

in response to Navalorange:

GAYQUEERBAIT is anything but tuff----LOL!!!!!

He prefers for someone to be behind him though----LOL!!!

He wishes it was his hero TEBOW

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

RB=solid
WR=solid
TE=solid
FB I am thinking sounding pretty good for a chg (cool)

NOW IF THAT QB and that OFF Line step up (AW SHUCKS we gonna be THE SHIZZIE)

BamaVol writes:

in response to DrJCrown_theMagicMan:

The G-Gun would have been ok had we been a threat to pass out of it.

Strange indeed.

I was glad Majors has been back around the field.
Had we had him in 93 with Heath Schuluer we may have won the NC.
Think I am crazy? Nope just a VOl fan who knows whats up!!!

Heath Schuluer said that if Majors came back, he would transfer to another school. He put the iceing on the cake for Majors to get fired.

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

in response to BamaVol:

Hum...interesting.
looking back at the Majors era and how Majors had to build Tenn back up as he did with Iowa State and Pitt.Once he got Tenn good again we were very good and would have beaten Bama while they were "down"with Majors too I have a hard time with that thought.

Also I would have to hear that from Heath's lips.
However Its very hard for me to believe a player could say Hire Fulmer and let my coach go.

Also it would be hard to link what you said to "it being a fact"

I am not trying to be uncool or argue with you I just truly find that in many ways interesting.i hope it is not true cause that would mean one of my favorite QB's ever was a traitor.

Also Heath left early his after his Junior year which would mean only one year with Phil so Phil must not have "DID IT FOR HIM"

Like I say I am just trying to take what was said and make points and give my opinion I am not trying to be a RICHARD or nuthin bro.

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

in response to volsgatorbait:

and we ALL KNOW tebow is a queer and ALL you FLA Fans love your Mullets and wearing Dem Jorts!!!!!

Now go comb your mullet and put on YOUR JORTS and STFU!

LOL!!!!
HYMIE is a gayder fan he wants to climb up and peak in your hynie
LMAO!!!!!

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

in response to 99aintagator:

Actually I would be careful about saying you wll beat us by 56 there gayder.
You know I hate to bring GOD into this but it seems to be since you just won the NC and you are playing a rebuilding team a win by 10 or 20 points would be ok for you gayder fans but many...MANY of you think THE VOLS ARE SO SORRY and you are just gonna wax us and hang 50 or 60 points on us.

CAN someone that plays for UT please print this and show it to the football team and let them know how badly they have been disrespected and that FLA and there fans think they are going to beat us by 60 points.PLEASE SHOW THIS TO THE PLAYERS OF UT VOLS.

To me a win would would be good enough but you want to slaughter us?

I have a funny feeling about this game...
""""""""call me crazy but Florida better just hope they can win the DAM game"""""""""and not get any injuries.

I say this cause sometimes "in life GOD tends to bring you back down" if you "think" you are impossible to beat and unstoppable.

Not only do you think the Vols cannot beat FLA.... but you are gonna wax us by 60?

VolInIndy writes:

The immature comments after this article just put me over the edge. Time to "turn off" comments.

StroVol writes:

No need for G-gun or Another failed attempt to resurrect Jon Crompton.

GreerVol22 writes:

in response to VolInIndy:

Agreed, one can always spot the guys still in daycare.

No one will miss the G-Gun, no one will miss balls thrown to a spot on the field...when there is no one there. No one will miss linemen standing up and asking each other, "should I be over here?"

With no agenda other than winning its nice to see players make plays, blocking and tackling, and best of all, enthusiasm.

Docrok writes:

in response to lomas98:

Unfortunately I don't believe that UT was really vanilla before they played FL last year! I saw nothing new in the FL game and in both games as with most of the other games the players just seemed lost

jimr07 writes:

As i see the problem with Gator fans, we have one of two options: learn to live with it and quit responding to their posts or find an alternative source for UT sports information. It is painfully obvious that KNS loves their posts because it does their job for them. Any negative information is welcomed by KNS.

orangebloodgmc writes:

"It's apparent that the Vols will be reliant on a more traditional fullback than in the recent past. Kevin Cooper and Austin Johnson have played key roles so far this spring."

I really like the sound of that. And Bartholomew would make a 3rd one. Depth at fullback and intention to actually use them!

Mr_Brownstone writes:

To the fullbacks: watch tape on Greg Amsler. He was da man.

StroVol writes:

in response to orangebloodgmc:

I'm with you. Love the sound of using fullback again. Remember Shawn Bryson? Loved that guy. Need three yards? Got it. Need catch in the flat. Got it.

VAvolfanRON writes:

in response to Docrok:

Speaking of seeing 'nothing new'......

If I see UF successful on that daggum Tebow fake QB sneak and then pop that pass to the TE again, my shoe just might end up in my TV set!!!...lol

Docrok writes:

in response to VAvolfanRON:

Speaking of seeing 'nothing new'......

No Kidding!!! It and the Tebow sneak were just far too predicatable!!!

Volunatic writes:

Mr Hooker,
It's not "Quinton" Hancock, it's "Quintin" Hancock.
Spelling the Vols' names right isn't difficult, and you've had 4 years to figure out this guy's name. There's even a helpful website:

in response to StroVol:

No need for G-gun or Another failed attempt to resurrect Jon Crompton.

Unless you just didn't believe CLK when he said everyone starts out the same this year, no matter what he did before, then you have to believe that he thinks Crompton is the best we have right now. I can see how anyone might cringe over this, but after all it is what CLK and staff think that counts. Why would you think CLK would play Crompton if he thought Coleman was better?

in response to jimr07:

KNS has no vested interest in negativity toward the Vols, they just want people reading and posting on the articles. One thing having the 'lopers on here and us responding to them does is that it boosts the number of eyeballs on GVX. THAT is the work the 'lopers do for them, increasing the number of posts, no matter what they say. I support your first option.

StroVol writes:

in response to johnlg00:

That's the Million Dollar question John. Why would he?
Don't get me wrong, if Crompton is the starter, I will be rooting for him to help us win.

CalPoly_Vol_Fan writes:

in response to volsgatorbait:

Seriously,

Have you seen the inbreeds in the sticks of Florida??? I can tell you there are many more people who are lacking chromosomes in Florida, than there are in Tennessee.

I am wondering though...did you actually go to UF, or are you a wannabe who never stepped inside a college classroom in your life?

StroVol writes:

in response to CalPoly_Vol_Fan:

Seriously,

He thought the gator chomp was better than the tomahawk chop and became a fan. Most Florida fans have never seen the campus. They just root for the gators because their mascot is in their backyards.

kabzs writes:

"They've got the mindset that they won't be denied. They won't be stopped."

'at-a-baby.

This mindset is the heart of a new dynasty.

Volunatic writes:

in response to jcvet:

Not to mention-- Colorado's tie that season was in their game with UT. (It should be mentioned, however-- Eric Bieniemy did not play in that game, and he would have certainly helped the Buffs' chances.)

Agee_Vols_82 writes: