Creer leaves Vols, will 'go in different direction'

Photo with no caption

A growing backfield lost a competitor when tailback Lennon Creer decided to leave Tennessee’s football team.

“Lennon is no longer with us,” coach Lane Kiffin announced following Thursday’s practice. “He’s decided that he doesn’t want to be a part of the program anymore and he’s going to go in a different direction so we wish him the best of luck.”

Kiffin said the junior from Tatum, Texas, plans to finish the spring semester before finding enrolling elsewhere.

“Hopefully he finishes the semester well academically so he’ll be able to transfer somewhere,” Kiffin said.

A former high school track standout, Creer’s speed and 5.3-yard per carry average in 2008 had many thinking that he could be a long-distance threat this season.

With senior Montario Hardesty as the most experienced returning tailback, Creer struggled to outperform sophomore Tauren Poole this spring.

“I think he’s done really well in the system,” Kiffin said of Poole. “He’s really been a one cut runner. That has really helped him.

“This system is kind of designed for a guy like him. We don’t know how much long speed he has but we know that he’s very quick.”

Even freshman Toney Williams, who enrolled at UT in January, has drawn more praise from UT’s coaches than Creer.

“Toney is a little bit bigger - has really been extremely physical,” Kiffin said of the 6-foot, 218-pounder. “For a guy who’s really a senior in high school right now, (he) has come in and attacked the defensive ends in some drills and shown a lot of toughness.”

UT also has two highly rated tailbacks - Bryce Brown and David Oku - set to enroll this summer.

“We’ve got a pretty good set of guys coming that we’re excited about so it gives some other guys some more opportunity,” Kiffin said.

Kiffin said he was still considering how restrictive Creer’s release from UT would be. Kiffin said it would likely preclude Creer from transferring within the SEC or to future UT opponents.

Creer will have to sit out one season of football if he transfers to another Division I school. A release from UT would allow Creer to be placed on scholarship elsewhere. Otherwise, he would have to pay for his school.

Creer would have to transfer to a Division II school in order to play this season.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

arkansas_vol writes:

c ya

blitzshoot writes:

Good running back. Not good for UT. He had game experience.

utduke writes:

Who?

But seriously, best of luck to him. He has serious talent.

baldfan writes:

in response to arkansas_vol:

c ya

I guess 5th string didn't appeal to him - especially in a double digit uniform!

smoovexl1#614870 writes:

Good luck Lennon. We're good on Tailbacks anyway.

UTandETSUfan writes:

Good luck where ever you land. As the old saying goes, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!

shopsports#273141 writes:

Are Brown & Oku in spring practice?

OakyVol09 writes:

Wow? I read somewhere he was battling for significant playing time. Hope nothing bad happened. Good luck to you.

UTandETSUfan writes:

in response to shopsports#273141:

Are Brown & Oku in spring practice?

Oku is still in H.S., Brown graduated in Jan. but because he didn't enroll (because he waited on his decision), he isn't eligible to be there. I guess this means that Creer fell behind Hardesty and Poole both.

lomas98 writes:

I thought Creer was the best running back on the team according to most of these posters? If he dipped to third string with the current coaching staff, maybe there was a reason he didn't get more PT.

OrangeMan_86 writes:

That stinks. He was second on the team in rushing yardage last year and averaged 5.3 yards per carry. With Brown and Oku it's not a big deal but still. If anyone read the article on espn today it said there was a player talking to Lane Kiffin about wanting to leave the team. Hopefully it was him and not another player. Pry too hard and didn't want to get buried on the bench. When reading about practices it sounds like Hardesty has looked awesome. We already know Brown is going to get carries this year and I'm sure Oku will as well. Oh well... Creer did look fast last year though. Could be worse. We lost what's his name a year or two ago. I am being serious, I forgot his name.

Can someone refresh my memory?

Who was that stud running back as a freshman that got kicked off the team. I can't believe I forgot his name. Especially because he was one of my favorite players. Major brain fart. He also returned kicks. It's on the tip of my tongue.

lastlap writes:

If you can't hack it. Get you jacket.

Good luck.

OrangeMan_86 writes:

Lamarcus Coker. There we go lol. He was a stud.

OakyVol09 writes:

in response to OrangeMan_86:

Can someone refresh my memory?

Coker?

Major_Magilicutty writes:

This is too bad. I too was reading about how well Creer was doing. Sorry that it had to go down like this. Best of luck.

DisorientedVol writes:

Poole is better than Hardesty and Creer. Good luck to him. He can go to memphis with Pearl I guess - just kidding. Go Vols.

OrangeMan_86 writes:

in response to OakyVol09:

Coker?

Yeah. That is it. He was the man. He got kicked off the team because he got in trouble with pot a couple of times right? Sucks. Pot, big deal. I guess it's something you can't and shouldn't do when you're an athlete at a big time school.

kkempf#226833 writes:

The rumor is that Creer had been fumbling too much in practice, which is why he fell so far behind Hardesty and Poole. You really would hope to see a player put on more steam and improve in this situation, but he may not have seen the point with two 5-star prospects coming in to his position.

smokyredbone writes:

Don't let the screen door hit ya where the good lord split ya! He had talent,but a bit of a baby. Also, he's been dropping balls on the turf all spring,not good with the talent we have coming in! See ya and good luck young man! GO VOLS PLEASE STAY PEARL YOU WON'T LIKE MEMPISS EVEN WITH THE EXTRA CHEDDER!

OakyVol09 writes:

The Podcast interview of Lane Kiffin on ESPN is pretty good. Some redundent topics, but a pretty indepth interview.

BSweet writes:

If he leaves, someone will be getting a good rb. I like this kid. I don't think he deserves the "kick him to the curb" mentality that some posters are showing, unless his departure has something to do with drugs or discipline. If that's the case, I hope he cleans up his act fast as I thing he has huge upside to him. Best of luck to him.

Wonder if this will affect his best friend, WR Denarius Moore?

BSweet writes:

in response to BSweet:

Wonder if this will affect his best friend, WR Denarius Moore?

*that should be think, not thing, lol

OakyVol09 writes:

in response to BSweet:

Wonder if this will affect his best friend, WR Denarius Moore?

Good point about Moore. They were kind of a package deal if a remember correctly. If he is getting a strong look, as he should be, then he will stay.

ZR writes:

He was pinned to the pine by Arian Foster, nuff said.

Greer_Vol_22 writes:

in response to KingsportVol:

Dang, is that you Kingsport? long time no see post. Don't be surprised if old Bruce pulls the "wow" and bolts.

GahLee writes:

Wow...I think that Lennon was our best back. He runs hard and has enough speed to get to the outside. Just by the numbers, he was the best we had, over his very short career he averaged over 5 yards per carry. Granted it was only over about 100 carriers but still. This is very surprising news, thought he had a good shot of getting a considerable amount of carries this year. Lucky for us we are deep at runningback.

JohnyLobo34 writes:

Creer had a nice glide about him, but I didn't think he was a tough runner. How many times did he get stood up by a DE or an LB? Poole is the guy who's going to blow everyone's mind! Tough as Nails; And if Hardesty can stay healthy, he's got round 1-2 NFL potential. We're OK! And let's face it, in a Kiffin offense everybody's doing to get carries. Look back at those SC teams, 15-carries was max. Provided you were the hot back of the day.

GahLee writes:

in response to ghost87:

your a fool, our best returning back.

UTandETSUfan writes:

in response to Greer_Vol_22:

Pearl is the first yank I've trusted in years... hopefully he doesn't sell us out, then I'll have to go back to my intense distrust of them. lol

UTandETSUfan writes:

in response to Agent_Orange:

BRAVO! I love it!

luvorange writes:

in response to OrangeMan_86:

Can someone refresh my memory?

LaMarcus Coker, maybe?

chaos001 writes:

i wondered how long this pressure cooker that Kiffin started would finally blow for someone. sucks that he's leaving, but if he can't match the intensity (physically and mentally) of the new staff then he's better off with his decision.

rocky_topper writes:

in response to ghost87:

That you Vicki? Of course you do!

rocky_topper writes:

Looks as though the BEST TALENT will FINALLY be on the field!!!! This is something we're not use to, and I am guessing they aren't either!

GahLee writes:

in response to ghost87:

I hope you get a life, see you wish me death and I wish for you to finally have something to live for...like I said...your a fool and know nothing about UT football.

txsvol#372416 writes:

Lennon Creer and Denarius Moore were both Trooper Taylor recruits from Tatum, TX. Unless Creer has major academic issues, he may well lay out a year and show up at Auburn, but more likely, at a D2 school in Texas for next year, as my best guess. Sorry to see him go, as he was the best back we had last year. But, maybe he saw the 'handwriting on the wall.' "Mene, Mene, Tekel, u-Pharsin." Good to have Bryce Brown and David Oku coming! SAVol

volstasis writes:

tdrb42 writes:

If Creer had character issues then I'm glad he's gone. Plus, it's not like we don't have enough running backs anyway. Brown, Hardesty, Oku, Poole. We could lose another one and it wouldn't matter. As long as we beat UF (sorry, FU) I'm happy.

GahLee writes:

in response to ghost87:

Does your mommy know your using words like sexy?

rocky_topper writes:

in response to ghost87:

lol

GahLee writes:

Wow, you are certifiable.

3ballvol writes:

in response to shopsports#273141:

Are Brown & Oku in spring practice?

high school still

Layla_Kiffin_is_hott writes:

in response to ghost87:

Layla is hott!

Greer_Vol_22 writes:

in response to UTandETSUfan:

ETSU, I sure hope your right. IF Bruce had a point guard this year, he wins another 6-8 games and this proposition might be a lot more serious.

tdrb42 writes:

Anybody who wants Ghost87 banned sucks. Get a life and a sense of humor. Die Florida!

rocky_topper writes:

in response to ghost87:

That you Marcus?

OrangeMandM writes:

Does anybody know what happened?

volstasis writes:

in response to ghost87:

chaos001 writes:

oh, btw...i finally got around to purchasing my ticket to my first O&W Game!

Knoxvegas, here I come!

tdrb42 writes:

in response to Paladin0711:

If he doesn't have character issues then he must just not want to sit on the bench. Hate to see him go but we can live without him.