Where's Morley? Kiffin plans to give update

Safety Demetrice Morley did not participate in Saturday’s scrimmage, his third absence of Tennessee’s nine spring practices.

“Something came up this morning,” UT coach Lane Kiffin said to the media. “I’ll be able to tell you guys more about it Tuesday, but I’ve got to have a conversation with him before I tell you guys.”

The latest issue with Morley is related to discipline, a source close to the situation said. Morley is expected to return to practice on Tuesday but needs to avoid any further issues to ensure he remains with the team, the source added.

Morley missed UT’s first spring practice when Kiffin suspended him for being late for a team meeting earlier that day. Morley missed another practice on Tuesday to be with his girlfriend who was giving birth to their child.

Morley was dismissed from UT after his sophomore season and did not play in 2007.

He enrolled in UT in time for last season but has a significant history of discipline issues. The senior is UT’s most experienced defensive back, having played in 35 games and started 20.

Sophomore Stephaun Raines saw much of the first team snaps at free safety in Morley’s absence. Raines has seen plenty of time with the first string during spring practice.

Raines said practicing alongside All-American strong safety Eric Berry has expedited his development.

“It helps a lot,” Raines said.

Raines said it’s hard not to think about the possibility that he might be a starter this season.

“I don’t even want to think that far but you can’t not think about it,” Raines said. “Once you start thinking about (the season opener against) Western Kentucky, you just (think) ‘Ah man, I might be starting that game.’

“I’ve just got to keep my poise and keep my composure on the field and just make sure I do the right things and it will all happen if it’s meant to be.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

ctownvol writes:

Uh oh...

dobber writes:

I hope his excuse is good! From what I can see someone better be dieing or dead in order to miss practice.

tnbigg writes:

Dang...

tnbigg writes:

Double Dang...

TonyGeist writes:

It's probably relating to his newborn child, which is why he missed practice Tuesday.

thevoice writes:

Let's hope he was taking an exam.

InertGas writes:

Do I smell dismissal ?

TonyGeist writes:

Not at all. If that is the reason for his absence, he should be commended for recognizing there are more important things in life than a game. Especially given his track record.

Let's not all go off the deep end until we hear the whole story. Surely Morley knows he is not irreplaceable on this team. With his family responsibilities, one would surely think he would not do anything to endanger his chances of playing in the NFL some day, which he would surely do if he were kicked off the team or otherwise left for almost any reason.

OrangeMan_86 writes:

There was an article on ESPN by Gene Wojciechowski and it had an outline of Kiffin's day when he visited. It said he met with a player in the morning because the player wanted to quit. It was probably Creer but I've read comments from other players saying the workouts are too hard as well. Hopefully Morley isn't leaving the team. I didn't know he was having a kid so maybe the poster who commented above me is right. It's all speculation at this point.

in response to OrangeMan_86:

It probably was Creer in that instance. Any of the others who think the workouts are too hard should be invited to seek other opportunities. I'm sure hardly any of us would want to work as hard as these guys no doubt have to, but anything short of a Bear Bryant-style, "Junction Boys" experience should not be too much for a UT athlete to handle if he really wants to "be all he can be".

AllVol1 writes:

Having a new child (Morley became a father a few days ago)--there are many possible scenarios that would create a valid absence and as a father, Kiffen would understand and be sensitive to talking about such personal matters at the right time. So there are many reasons not to jump to any negative conclusions here. Also, for the sake of consideration, if this is a sign of Morley's departure, there could be a positive benefit to this. We have other very good safeties and DB's. We also have Janzen coming. If Morley plays, good for us this year. If he doesn't, good for us next year because some younger inexperienced backs get PT sooner. I am not wishing for anything here except the health of Morley's child and the mother. Beyond that, we can continue to see the positive in these developments. Everyone was so bummed when that QB (braincramp here...Jerry Colquitt?) went down on the first set of downs of the season opening game. Our five year player was finally going to start after waiting behind Schuler, but then he tore the ACL. "Woe are we!" the people cried. BUT Peyton started playing sooner than he would have and that was a very good thing in the long run. In the end, it is the long run that counts. My advice: Practice seeing the long term goals and steps toward those this season. Don't judge the successes and setbacks too stubbornly this year. The Coaches Swarm are just putting the pieces in place and those will bear fruit, some sooner, but mostly in the next two and three years. THIS is a TRANSITION YEAR. We will see good signs, but they are signs, just the first stirrings of the SWARM!

Orangeblood13 writes:

oh stop passing judgment, let the facts come out people geesh

rusty_shackleford writes:

"I'll be able you guys more about it Tuesday, but I've got to have a conversation with him before I tell you guys."

Who left a word out of this quote, CLK or KNS?

OrangeMan_86 writes:

in response to Orangeblood13:

oh stop passing judgment, let the facts come out people geesh

What are you talking about? How is it passing judgment to speculate? Nobody is bad mouthing him. I don't get where you're coming from.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to rusty_shackleford:

Who left a word out of this quote, CLK or KNS?

The sentence prior to that is missing a "that" as well.

I'm not too worried about where this leaves the defense, players will come and go. But I admire the guy for all that he has worked through to get back here. I want him to succeed. Whether that is at the next level or to finish his education.

pastorlee#372395 writes:

in response to OrangeMan_86:

Do we honestly have a great deal of players who thought about quitting because of the difficulty of the workouts? I wonder why you don't hear any of these stories coming out of Florida, Oklahoma,
Texas, USC, etc... If this is the case, then it may be an indication why our wins and losses did not match our talent level. Personally, I am embarrassed by the number of alleged crybabies we have on this team. Obviously, this football team needed to be overhauled.

memphis_vol_fan writes:

From what Kiffin said, it doesn't sound like Morley did anything serioulsy wrong. It seems to me like Kiffin doesn't know enough to tell the media what's goin' on.

belayvol writes:

in response to BobbeaVol:

You don't know nuthin bout no foosball Bobby Douche.

belayvol writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

I thought it was "Goon Squad" 4life?

Colliervol writes:

in response to BobbeaVol:

Uh-oh, naffy's back. Reincarnation #8 I think. But I've lost track. Opinion irrelevant regardless.

belayvol writes:

in response to Colliervol:

Isn't it amazing how he can turn any subject into a Hate Peyton fest?

belayvol writes:

in response to DCdynasty:

Well since you guy's had already taken Count Thugula Club, we did the best we could. Although we do not get a secret decoder ring.

ArealVolFan writes:

in response to ButchIsBack:

Quit acting like you have any connections to UT. You are nothing to UT. You don't know a single player personally on that team. You don't know how many time Kiffin has seen his son. You don't know if Morely is quiting. Thats highly unlikely. As for Fulmer and his staff his "working hard" netted us a 29-20 record over the last 4 years. Not acceptable.

belayvol writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

Don't sweat it dude. It's Saturday. Life is looking good with out Vols.

belayvol writes:

That should be: With Our Vols. Scheesh.

BigOrangeJeff writes:

Quote from ButchIsBack:

"After talking to several players personally, I am in a position to do so where the truth comes out, this non sense about working hard is just that."

Nice grammar. Is it even possible to diagram that abortion of a sentence?

wagee12 writes:

ArealVolsFan writes:
in response to ButchIsBack:

1. Morley knows this program NOW is circeling the drain.

2. Since Kiffin has only met his new son one time I am sure that he has no patience for a man doing the right thing.

3. After talking to several players personally, I am in a position to do so where the truth comes out, this non sense about working hard is just that. I guess the previous staff won all those games and a National Title without working hard. I guess this staff that has never accomplished anything has redifined hard work. It is a spin job. It is no different now. Except they all know this guy is not in it for the right reasons.

4. There will be many more defections to come. At some point the smart people will begin to see that it is not the players but the amatuer hour of this staff. I would not waste the rest of my career with this bunch either if I had options.

The only thing circling the toilet is your ignorant posts. How can you type while having your lips stuck to the backside of BoxCar Philly's lap?
Morley was probably just helping Creer pack his bags. BTW, this is Morley's second illigitimate child by a second different woman. It is also rumored that he has missed classes again without an appropriate excuse.
The previous staff was a total embarassment to the university, the alums and the fans. Now, go back to your smooching of the caboose.

StroVol writes:

Any video of today's practice. UT sports has small sample. Thought there might be more from KNS

gohawks1 writes:

in response to tnbigg:

Double Dang...

Double dog dang.

littleorange writes:

I think we should wait and see....could be a significate reason.

GahLee writes:

Probably has to do with his kid...newborns are very demanding, trust me...hope it isn't something that could possibly get him booted, cause Morley and Berry could be one of the best tandems in the nation.

VAvolfanRON writes:

in response to GahLee:

yea...but newborns are so cute and cuddly......THEN THEY BECOME TEENAGERS!!!!(like my 2 daughters)

Boy, I miss the cute and cuddly!!!!!!

I hope Morley is stepping up to be father, we shall hear on Tuesday

RoadTrip writes:

If Morley blows it again we should be happy to find out now. Plenty of time to develop his replacement and the team chemistry will be better.

If his excuse is legit we will know soon.

Hudro writes:

With a child (ren) he really needs to buckle down and hope he can have a great all SEC season and make it to the league to be able to provide for his family. It looks however like he has one foot on a banana peel and can be gone at any minute.

bigt4ut writes:

Kiffin just needs to kick him off the team, you think he would learn after being kicked off and then coming back, but even last season they were having problems with him and his grades, and not going to class. He has had way to many chances, and right now hes just hurting the team. Bye Bye Morley, he probably wasnt going to start anyway!

Volinsider writes:

in response to ButchIsBack:

You're dumb as dirt!

yeavols#228407 writes:

Kiffin's plan is coming full circle..Practices are harder, more discipline in the classroom, and higher expectations. Those who can't cut it, let me reiterate: GET THE HELL OUT. I think I speak for the whole VOL nation. Albeit, we don't know the story behind Morley, but we can conclude that from past experience, many UT players have slid by, been given several chances, and have had an apathetic point of view when it comes to competing and "giving it your all" on football Saturdays. We the fans have witnessed many losses and disapointing seasons in the past 10 years. So, any player who decides to cut class, not show up for practice, and put their social lives in front of football, I say again: GET THE HELL OUT. Whatever your issue, be man enough to leave it off the football field and drop out and take care of it. The rest of the players don't need it, the coaches don't need it, and the fans certainly don't need it. NO MORE CHANCES..WE are DONE!

OrangeMagic writes:

in response to belayvol:

I hate it when you guys respond to the lopers, but I have to admit that your post was some funny sh_t

HallowedHill writes:

I think we need to give Morely the benefit of the doubt. As a new father, I can definitely understand the need to T.C.B. with the family.

Vol43 writes:

Hope this his only girlfriend.

yeavols#228407 writes:

uhh don't think this is about fatherhood. There is a track record here. Had Morley not had discipline problems in the past, there would be no issue now. Think about it. There have been players in the past that have had a family. I could be wrong, but one player comes to mind on a championship team that was a father. Please, let's not keep giving excuses to players who can't figure it out.

ncvol17 writes:

Is Morley starting a Travis Henry fan club? He better stick and make some NFL money cause most of it will be going out the door b4 he ever sees it. Better put Tim Priest on a retainer now for later..

tnbigg writes:

What do Butchisback and The Enterprise have in common? They both circle Uranus in search of clingons...

belayvol writes:

in response to OrangeMagic:

Heck and i did not even mention that they also got the cool matching power bracelets. They say that prison is he!!. I wonder if it seems more real to a gator to have to wear a bright, orange jumpsuit?

Vol43 writes:

in response to ncvol17:

Yep, that's good. Hope there's not a girlfriend #2.

wagee12 writes:

digitaldelano#594074 writes:

Morley's no father, he's a sire. He has already produced two illigitimate offspring by two different women. He deserves no more chances. He's already been booted once and has been given multiple opportunities to get his act together. He is on the edge of extinction right now and if he survives till September, it will be a minor miracle.

Vol43 writes:

in response to wagee12:

digitaldelano#594074 writes:

If that's a fact, then there will be others. Some guys just don't get it. It's a badge of honor I guess. It makes no sense.

tquillen#249140 writes:

in response to thevoice:

Let's hope he was taking an exam.

Yeah, that's it! Demetrice Morley missed practice because he was taking an exam.

imnochumpvol writes: