Morley off team, Kiffin says

Kiffin: Morley no longer a Vol

Video

Highlights from the Vols' spring practice - April 7, 2009.

Highlights from the Vols' spring practice - April 7, 2009. Watch »

Safety Demetrice Morley is no longer on the Tennessee football team, UT head coach Lane Kiffin announced at practice on Tuesday.

“Demetrice won’t be part of our team anymore,” Kiffin said after the 2 1/2-hour workout. “Like we have said from the beginning, this isn’t easy. It’s very demanding for guys to stay here and go through everything we do, to hold to our standards on and off the field, to be part of our culture. Demetrice could not do that and we wish him the best of luck.”

The senior from Miami, who was not at Tuesday's practice, had already missed three practices this spring.

He was suspended for the Vols’ first spring practice after being late to a team meeting. He also missed practice last Tuesday for the birth of his child.

UT coach Lane Kiffin declined to provide specifics of Morley’s absence Saturday, saying he wanted to speak with Morley before talking with the media.

More details late online and in Wednesday’s News Sentinel.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

smashmouth98 writes:

doesn't sound good

NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop writes:

Peace out D-Mo...stay cool bro.

Oenoboy writes:

Too many rumors out there saying he's getting the boot. Too bad, it would have been nice to have him and EB patrolling the field together.

Jillelumpkins writes:

Common D-MO! Man get your chit together. Don't break up the goon squad!

OakyVol09 writes:

Buuubye.

JohnsonCity_George writes:

Wow. I think we are starting to see some discipline. We might end up with a bunch of guys who want to play and win. Not just show up.

volsbats12 writes:

You think since he just had a kid he would want to keep all of his stuff in order and try to go to the NFL and graduate college to help his kid have a better life, but I guess not.

MANVOL writes:

No practice No Play, It's simple...Go Vols..

Phowell23 writes:

One would think a player would be even more determined to practice and get better after they have a kid. Let's hope he has a good excuse for missing practice today, otherwise he doesn't deserve to be playing for UT.

voloffaith writes:

in response to DCdynasty:

Now that was a polite response about a situation which absolutely nothing to do with florida gator futbol. Comment on play,btw the year before he was out of football. Thought yew might want to know that. I, for one, don't really care what gator florida fans think,feel,say,etc about our team. It is a free country,for now, so yew can spew away your venom to your hearts content. I for one don't rejoice at some youthful adult making a mistake in their life regardless of team affiliation. So grow up and try to act responsibly in your postings. In the meantime, I hope Demetrius can learn and better himself.

MrBamSeydu writes:

Well, it's a good thing we recruited 348 defensive backs this year.

Unless Morley has a VERY good reason for all of this, he has gone well beyond "3 strikes and you're out". He had that many 3 years ago when he was kicked off. I'll wait to hear why he's missed practice before I bash him too hard. You never know what someone is going through.

volnbig11land writes:

Come on fellow Vol fans, you respond to the lopers but you know they aren't capable of saying anything nice.

It also appears they aren't capable of finding their own teams message board....

tums writes:

in response to DCdynasty:

Two years ago he wasnt on the team. He was last year and Florida didnt do much to him.

murrayvol writes:

in response to DestinVol:

Don't let it be goonies.

VOLAFAN writes:

Are we talking about Practice? Not a game but Practice. Seriously, are we talking about Practice. Practice man! Not a game. We are talking about PRACTICE! PRACTICE!

volnbig11land writes:

in response to DCdynasty:

hahaha I don't care who you cheer for, that there was funny!

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to 99aintagator:

If I have the right information,he has no wife.

volnbig11land writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

If I have the right information,he has no wife.

wow, that would be a shock...

gohawks1 writes:

I'm getting word that he's gone. Hope I'm wrong, but if true, it is what it is.

iowavol writes:

What happened to the comments yesterday that were matter of fact D-Mo is kicked off the team? This article seems to say that is not the case. No doubt he could be kicked off, but looks like Kiff hasn't made up his mind yet. I for one would rather see him on the field wearing orange.

volnbig11land writes:

Seriously, I read an article from ESPN (not Chris Low) that said he (the interviewer) met with CLK Friday morning "after the coach met with a player who wanted to leave the team".

Anyone know anything about that?

gohawks1 writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

If I have the right information,he has no wife.

You are correct. An earlier article referred to her as his significant other.

volnbig11land writes:

in response to CLEMSONVOL716:

hahaha I don't care who you cheer for, that there was funny.

TD_4_UT writes:

in response to volnbig11land:

Anyone know anything about that?

Lennon Creer.

volnbig11land writes:

in response to TD_4_UT:

Lennon Creer.

ahhhh, duh. thanks!

Waldorf writes:

in response to volnbig11land:

Anyone know anything about that?

I said 6 to 8 players would be gone by fall because of the culture shock. Too bad, esp. after the way D-Mo legitimately worked his way back on the team. I genuinely thought he had grown up.

Hope I am wrong...

volnbig11land writes:

in response to Waldorf:

Hope I am wrong...

Good point, there could be more.

Agree that it's sad he may be gone after working hard to come back. However, it's his own doing if it happens.

Hopefully the initial shock has caused the defections it is going to cause.

TD_4_UT writes:

in response to Waldorf:

Hope I am wrong...

What is the count now? 3 or 4?

volnbig11land writes:

in response to DCdynasty:

I didn't suspect either of them because Morley had worked hard to get back and to my knowledge (up here in suckeye land), Creer hadn't had any problems and was sure to get more carries this year than in years past.

shoalcreekvol writes:

Hope he has LaMarcus Coker's number...

Voluvr writes:

That lineman from Nashville's MBA (aka. Momma's Boy Academy) couldn't hack it either. There are always going to be fallouts with an intense program. I understand the birth of a child, after that even if you're dead you show up to meetings.

Life happens, but I hope for his sake it's not just immaturity. That can spell for a lifetime of regret.
Just ask gatorzz.

ElizabethtonvolnNC writes:

I can't beleive everyone has D Mo hanging by his Jock Strap, and no fact's have been released other than he was late for a team meeting, and missed practice due to the birth of a child. This guy made mistakes in the past, paid the consequences, "worked like heck" to get back to being apart of something special and succeeded where most would have given up or failed. Now comes a life changing event which would most certainly have an affect on anyone, and Vol Nation is ready to kick his a-- to the curb! Typical!

old_number1 writes:

in response to DCdynasty:

usually you are full fo s**t, but that was awesome! Reminds me of my ex-wife!

RockyTopVolFan writes:

If he screws up by getting kicked off the team, there goes his pro aspiration.

Waldorf writes:

in response to DCdynasty:

When we got Oku and Brown I knew that either Creer or Poole was gone, whichever fell to third string in spring practice, so Creer doesn't really surprise me. Can't say I blame him because he wasn't seeing the field any the rest of his time here other than special teams and he is a good back that can play somewhere.

Everything that has happened with D-Mo has surprised me though. I've talked to the guy on a couple of occasions when he was trying to work his way back, and I just though it had taught him enough of a lesson.

Who knows who else. I wouldn't be shocked if Stephens or Coleman transferred out after spring if they end up being third string.

volnbig11land writes:

in response to Waldorf:

My humble opinion, if we do lose a QB due to a transfer I hope it isn't either of them....

Voluvr writes:

in response to ElizabethtonvolnNC:

Not so fast on the Volnation my friend. This ain't his first hooray. Birth of a child is a one time event not a reason to miss practices and meetings on several occasions.

I hope it's not Typical of you quickly throwing the entire Volnation to the curb, especially when you are not recognizing the facts.

old_number1 writes:

in response to VOLAFAN:

I meant to call you out first. I remember that quote! that is way too funny!! But maybe you left out a couple of "practices"!! lol

volnbig11land writes:

in response to Voluvr:

Thank you.

Waldorf writes:

in response to volnbig11land:

I'm convinced Crompton is your starter or second string. Like it or not.

Stephens has 2 years of eligibility left and Coleman has three. kKiffin has made no bones about that he is about a top-flight QB and that that person is probably going to get a shot as a freshman. If you are one of these two behind the other, why would you stick around? Go to a 1-AA school where you would be able to play immediately and play. otherwise you are holding a clipboard for 2 or 3 more years.

I don't have any insider info, just what I could see happening.

volnbig11land writes:

in response to Waldorf:

I'm convinced Crompton is your starter or second string. Like it or not.

I don't have any insider info, just what I could see happening.

Oh I agree with everything you said.

However with that being said I stick to my original post.

TommyJack writes:

in response to old_number1:

usually you are full fo s**t, but that was awesome! Reminds me of my ex-wife!

He still is.

TD_4_UT writes:

Coleman must be dedicated to UT or he would have followed Coach Cut to Duke.

StroVol writes:

in response to volnbig11land:

If coleman sits like last year, he'll probably bolt for Duke.

StroVol writes:

in response to TD_4_UT:

Coleman must be dedicated to UT or he would have followed Coach Cut to Duke.

That was weird

richvol writes:

in response to DCdynasty:

Sorry to admit it but that's an accurate description of the game. Everyone was bored...especially the UT players. The second that James took off with that punt I knew that Tennessee had no chance of winning that game or even making it competitive.

That was the maddening thing about Fulmer and his teams performance in Florida games...we never played as well as we could. Even if we were destined to lose the game we NEVER played up to our abilities. I guess the 2001 game was an exception but Travis had to rush for over 200 yards and Big John almost killed your QB several times.

Fortunately,Fulmer is gone and Kiffin and company will produce a different product I am sure. This rivalry will be close again.

Waldorf writes:

in response to volnbig11land:

Oh I agree with everything you said.

However with that being said I stick to my original post.

I'm not disagreeing with your opinion either. :)

That said, if out offense this fall is run the ball first and then run playaction off of it with routes down the field, Crompton might do a little better than we expect. Just don't expect him to ever be able to read a field like Manning.

old_number1 writes:

in response to TD_4_UT:

Coleman must be dedicated to UT or he would have followed Coach Cut to Duke.

i really thought coach Cut knew his stuff. I can't understand why coleman isn't getting more of a look.

StroVol writes:

in response to Waldorf:

I'm convinced Crompton is your starter or second string. Like it or not.

I don't have any insider info, just what I could see happening.

If UT has no intention of getting BJ on the field, I hope he does the smart thing and leaves. I watched about a dozen of his games when he was at McCallie because he was "the" player to check out in Tennessee High School football. I was impressed to say the least. Sucks Tenn fans won't ever see it.

old_number1 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

He still is.

I know. But at least this time his s**t was funny! It was a nice change of pace!