Kiffin: 'A really horrendous day' for QBs

Protection glitches, blitzes contribute to slew of interceptions

A few struggles with some new protection schemes for Tennessee's offensive line, a few new blitzes from Monte Kiffin's defense and a few bad decisions all combined to make Thursday a pretty rough day for the quarterbacks.

"Unfortunately, a really horrendous day by the quarterbacks," UT coach Lane Kiffin said. "Four interceptions."

At least.

Safety Prentiss Waggner had at least two interceptions. Derrick Furlow grabbed another, and Dennis Rogan snagged one in the early part of UT's 11-on-11 work on Haslam Field.

All three quarterbacks - Jonathan Crompton, Nick Stephens and B.J. Coleman - got into the act, which should make for an interesting scrimmage this morning inside Neyland Stadium.

"We've got to come out tomorrow and take care of the ball," Lane Kiffin said. "A day after no turnovers, really proud of the defense and the way they got after the ball after not getting any turnovers the last time we were out here, really did well today."

The defense, which didn't force a turnover on Tuesday, got started early.

Defensive coaches were throwing barbs at their offensive counterparts during a staff meeting Thursday morning. A few hours later, their players backed it up on the field.

"They kind of came after some of the offensive coaches in the staff meeting and told them how it was going to be today," Lane Kiffin said. "They called it right because they came out and backed it up. They were getting on them in stretching. The defensive coaches came out with a lot of confidence today and the players fed off it."

The mistakes seemed to snowball for the quarterbacks, and one of the low points came when Stephens threw an interception immediately following one on the previous play by Crompton.

"Anytime you make back-to-back mistakes, it's definitely troublesome," offensive coordinator Jim Chaney said. "Nobody likes to compound one mistake with another."

And while the quarterbacks' mistakes were the most visible Thursday, the offensive line struggled at times with some protections against new blitzes from the defense.

"We struggled with protection up front, and it just manifested itself into some decisions in the backfield that weren't very good," said Chaney, who also coaches the offensive line. "Quite honestly we've got to clean up things up front, in my opinion. That's first and foremost. That showed up big-time today."

The Vols worked in shoulder pads and shorts Thursday because of today's scrimmage, and Coleman, for one, thought the Vols lacked intensity as a result.

"We had just helmets, no shoulder pads, no lower half," he said. "I think we got a little bit lackadaisical."

Whatever the cause - and there are plenty of possible culprits - Crompton wants to make sure the quarterbacks rebound quickly.

"It's frustrating, but it's something to learn from," he said. "Nobody's going to be perfect every day. We're going to go back in here and watch this film and learn from it, and try not to make the same mistakes again."

Spring practice, though, is a time for making mistakes without the consequences of wins and losses.

The Vols have had just 11 full practices to run a brand new offense, and days like Thursday come with the territory.

Not that the offensive coaches take much solace, though.

"I'm not happy at all with how the thing went," Chaney said. "But what the hell? You're going to go into the next day and try to get it better. It isn't the end of the world. A lot of the things we were trying to do today was the first time out, so we're going to go in and try to get better at it.

"Rome wasn't built overnight. We're installing a whole new system. We expect some mistakes, and those are tolerable. What upset me today was some effort issues. We'll take care of those."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

vol_in_bigten_land writes:

Rome wasn't built in a day Crompton but they killed people that didn't carry their weight genius.

KJVol writes:

No worries. We're talking about practice. I mean, we're talking about practice.

Major_Magilicutty writes:

Lol...well anyway, congrats on another Crompton quote...Mr. PR. But at least they got a statement from Coleman. I'd like to get some thoughts from the defense in this article too.

I do like Chaney's attitude to a point...I just hope that his isn't arrogance. I think I believe CLK's enthusiasm...and Coach O is something else entirely.

vol_in_bigten_land writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

Name dosen't ring a bell.

GahLee writes:

No big deal...I know people will say " Here we go " but the D had the O-Line mixed up and as a direct result the QB's were rushed into trying to make plays...this is all new to them...I know that they have played their respective positions for years now but think of re-learning how to do something that you have been doing a certain way for years practically overnight. It takes time, and like the article says, Rome wasn't built overnight...Go Vols!!!

vol_in_bigten_land writes:

Although I will support whoever is QB, I just hope it isn't JC.

just4utk writes:

How did BJ do? The only mention of interceptions was by Crompton and Stephens. Did BJ throw any?

vol_in_bigten_land writes:

in response to 99aintagator:

Since we have the best D. I'm thinking there will be less.

wjr2b2 writes:

I think the coaches need to come to the realization of having a QB this yr that can just manage the game & not lose it. I believe our defense & SP is going to be improved and put us in a position to win some close games.

vol_in_bigten_land writes:

Keep rotating the horses and run baby run!

BSweet writes:

in response to 99aintagator:

Am I surprised the QBs are struggling? No, I expected it. It's common knowledge they weren't stellar last season. It is only spring practice though, so hopefully this coaching staff can coach one of these guys up before the season. And yes, I know you don't think they can. As I'm not a psychic, I say wait and see.

A little reading on Monte Kiffin. If you or any other gator fan think he's not the real deal, then you're drinking something a lot stronger than kool aid. I think you'll find out just how "real" our defense is next year.

Greer_Vol_22 writes:

my kingdom for a Cutcliff clone.

belayvol writes:

in response to 99aintagator:

Well maybe someone from a real SEC team will come along and tell us about it.

gohawks1 writes:

I don't feel so good.

kabzs writes:

Thanks KNS for the mp3 downloads. The interviews with JC, BJ, and Cheney help me understand the progress of this offense.

------

We'll be fine. It's all part of the process.

vol_in_bigten_land writes:

in response to gohawks1:

I don't feel so good.

Is it the ducks JC throwing over to the D?

dvhill100 writes:

New system, new coach, spring practice. No need to go nuts over it, everyone has marginal days. It's going to happen. New schemes from the defense.

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

Well...
I am not going to spend to much time complaining about this.
It is ridiculas beyond immagination.

"""""I expect a 5th year Senoir QB to be able to handle about anything you throw at him.""""""""
That is the bottom line cause Stone Cold said so!

If we start Cropmton I may not watch certain games this year

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

Florida is like a pretty girl that has lots of make-up on.
Once you figure them out you do alot better!

tebow and Meyer like to wear make-up also I might add!

BigEVol writes:

The only reason Crompton had the starting job for so long last year was because Fulmer promised him that he would be the starter and could not go back on his word. Very admirable, but it helped cost him his job.

Kiffin recruited Crompton, so he knows there was talent at one time and he probably can't believe it's gone - but it obviously is. Crompton will not be the one this fall. Crompton is probably good with x's and o's, but he has lost whatever he had as a QB. Put him on the sidelines with a clipboard like Jim Bob Cooter (even looks like him). Got to go with Stephens or Coleman - the sooner the better. Go Vols!

MarbleVol48 writes:

We don;t have alot of horses on defense but we will not be laying off 12 yards any longer either?

olozbal#646632 writes:

I love a nasty defense. How about Coach O goes to the offense?

I love Kiffin so far but damn I hope we didn't make a mistake not getting a QB this year.

rockytopatl writes:

in response to just4utk:

The story says all three quarterbacks "got into the act," which leads you to believe they all had picks.

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

in response to 99aintagator:

And that would be about the same time he said he was going to be a coach at Tenn...

Since you live in FLA can you tell me what he did b4 those last 4 games?

can you also please tell me what he did his entire coaching career?

I am worried the best Def coach ever...one that Tomlin learned from..WHo else is worried about Monte besides the GayFagterQueerbaitTeblow homos? Yes that is them and there teams new name.

MrBamSeydu writes:

Here we go again, can we trade Crompton? I'd take Jake Heaps right now as a high school senior over him.

BSweet writes:

in response to 99aintagator:

Keep thinking that's what you're going to face. Underestimate our defense. When the season rolls around, we'll see. Our offense may or may not be pitiful this season, but I have every faith in our defense.

OhioVol3 writes:

in response to just4utk:

From all indications, he blew...just like the rest of the QB's. Anybody even a little confident in any of these guys??

senracjr writes:

in response to 99aintagator:

this team scares the hell out of ya huh?

GahLee writes:

in response to MrBamSeydu:

That's funny...I have heard that Heaps is good but he may have already hit his ceiling,which isn't good.

belayvol writes:

in response to OhioVol3:

Yep. I am.

BigEVol writes:

in response to 99aintagator:

Go back to the quagmire where someone gives a gator turd what you think, gatorboy. Your time will come.

HonoluluVol writes:

All this lax play is a direct result of "what the players are used to". The aren't used to hard work because the last staff didn't push them to become better so the resorted to what they know. It isn't the system because the schemes are simple and nothing like the "claw-fense" of last year. And I'm so sick of Crompton talking about watching film to correct his mistakes. He's watched more film than anyone on the team, and he STILL CAN'T GET IT RIGHT. Might as well start calling him "CAN'T GET RIGHT CROMPTON". He watches film and still comes out and makes the same mistakes over and over. CLK needs to pick one guy and work the shee-ot of of him to make him better, and pray he doesn't get hurt.

kabzs writes:

Don't get too upset with todays interceptions. They were putting in new offense. Also, BJ said they were not in full pads.

Any lineman who has played knows practice in helmet, pads, and shorts is awkward. Its tough to block without leg protection, how do you blitz protect in shorts? Will a back normally cut block a blitzer? Of course. Will a back cut block a teammate without leg protection? Maybe not. The blitzer may look better when an offensive player does not tee-off on his opponent.

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

in response to OhioVol3:

No I am not!
I say just put in which ever one can hand off the ball without fumble-in

Run the ball and run alot of reverse plays and maybe even put the offense in shotgun formation and run draw plays and either run with the QB and every one in a while run a deep route make-in sure you either hit the receiver or it goes over his head.
Run very safe pass plays around the sideline where it cannot get INT.

RUN RUN RUN the ball.
Crompton has shown he will hurt us with that though....

tngl4ut writes:

Now Kiffin knows why Fulmer was fired.

HonoluluVol writes:

We'll have another great defense, just like last year. But, the Offense will be so bad that they will always be on the field with their backs against the wall, trying to salvage the game for us. I'd talk trash, and kick their Azzes everyday till they got it together. The Offnse will get tired of getting it handed to them everyday and hopefully one day start playing with some moxy and potential.

gohawks1 writes:

in response to vol_in_bigten_land:

Is it the ducks JC throwing over to the D?

Yeah, and the duck-throwing disorder seems to be contagious.

newtonrail writes:

in response to BobbeaVol:

Can't you find a Black Power site, Mr Naffy, ole buddy? Kaplan's bans don't last long.

DennisVols writes:

It's a no win situation.
Either the defense does good or the offense does good. Tues. practice had no turnovers "OMG our defense is doomed"
Thurs. practice had serval INT's "OMG our offense is doomed"
Just be happy that our new coaches are being honest about the growing pains the new systems are causing us at this point. CPF always closed practice and espically last year all we heard was how good things where going. *see results
Be happy they aren't in the business of blowing smoke up your donkey.
Things will get better by the 1st game. This team will be fundamentally, physically, emotionally better. Mabey 7-5, maybe 8-4, maybe 9-3 who knows at this point. It's anybody's guess.
Who, honestly would have taken Ol Miss last year without line against UF?
Remember the old saying "On any given day"
We will see a better team. I believe that as I also believe the following year we will see a team closer to what we all want.
Keeping it real!!!!
Go Vols!!!

HonoluluVol writes:

in response to kabzs:

No need to take up for their azzes cause EXECUTION is EXECUTION. And obviously they weren't going have speed so there's no excuse. Let's just hope they get them all out in the Spring and be cured of the "Interceptionosis" come Fall practice.

GahLee writes:

QB situation doesn't bother me...Ainge 2005 was the worst of the worst...new scheme, new mentor, new QB that was ALL-SEC and was drafted to the NFL. Go back and watch film of him in 05, then watch 06 film. I'm convinced that we will have the same result, well I suppose that is more along the lines of hope. The talent is there, the heart, the desire to be the best hasn't been there. I don't think that the coaches will allow these guys to just go through the motions like in the past. We will be ok. 8-9 wins this year and another top-notch recruiting class and we will be back. Just a little patience folks...the changes are drastic and improvements have been abundant but it will take a little more than a spring practice to get back to the top.

BSweet writes:

in response to 99aintagator:

I'll take that as a compliment based on how good our defenses were under Chavis. Chief's defenses were good, but I never understood the huge cushion on third down. Monte's defenses will be better. Not a slight to Chavis, as he was a great DC(and an even better LB coach), but Monte is better.

kabzs writes:

in response to tngl4ut:

Now Kiffin knows why Fulmer was fired.

You are right. Kiffin knows that he has talented players and Fulmer did not know how to coach them. Fulmer got himself fired. Not a lack of talent.

Cheney said tonight the running blocking is AHEAD of schedule, as is the play action blocking. The pass blocking has not been worked on that much and is a little behind. The defense was instituting new blitzes, and BJ said they were working on new reads.

Big deal as to one bad day.
We'll be fine.

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

in response to tngl4ut:

Now Kiffin knows why Fulmer was fired.

Yes he does but Philiboy had these same issues with the 2005 team and I saw the problems in season b4 that.

I would say Clawson had just as much to do with him getting fired that this offense did.

Kiff really needs to be ruff on this offense and make them work till they get it right.

belayvol writes:

Gloom,despair, and agony on me...

Voluvr writes:

Our defense will be better because we will have the ability to make adjustments actually during the game we need to make them in.

The offense can't be any worse than they were last year.

TennCup writes:

Hey man. if you "aintagator", what are you?

belayvol writes:

in response to TennCup:

Hey man. if you "aintagator", what are you?

Hint: It bleeds every month and whines a lot.

TotalPackage1 writes:

in response to BobbeaVol:

WAY TO STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND NOT SUPPLY US WITH THE K-5 SLOGAN------FIRST.

Those of you still in diapers, please make note of this ACTUAL post.

GIVE HIM SIX!

the10sevol writes:

Hate to shed a liitle light into a dank, dreary discussion, but, hey, I'm a light-headed type of guy. Don't believe me? How about this...
This is not spring practice, this is the combine, players are being put through the gauntlet
Frequent player moves along the OL should get you 4 sacks or 4 picks every time. We're playing OT's at OG, and TE's at OT, etc.
From a coaching standpoint, I want to see how QB's respond when pressure comes, and it did today, the D is apparently right on schedule
The O staff can't make a combine-type decision on QB until Nick is 100%
While I would love to be at the O/W, circumstances preclude, I will wear my Vols hat with pride, but won't draw any conclusions from the game