Fulmer grasps nature of comparisons

Former Tennessee football coach Phillip Fulmer said he has not met with his replacement, Lane Kiffin.

“We’ve missed each other,” Fulmer said of Kiffin during an interview aired on WNML’s Sports Talk. “We will at some point. He’s been very busy. I’ve been very busy.”

Fulmer said he’s aware of the comparisons between the two regimes, which usually is complimentary of Kiffin and critical of Fulmer.

“That’s only normal,” Fulmer said. “That’s natural that people are going to compare. I’m proud of what we accomplished.”

Fulmer, who was dismissed after a 5-7 record in 2008, said he will visit Duke and Ohio State as well as some NFL teams, such as the Miami Dolphins and Indianapolis Colts, to stay on top of scheme changes in football in case he coaches again.

Fulmer worked for ESPN and CBS since his tenure at UT ended but isn’t sure if he’ll have an opportunity to continue in that line of work.

“They’re kind of having the same issues that everyone in the world is having with the economy things that are going on,” Fulmer said. “Whether they’re hiring new talent or whatever, I don’t know.”

Fulmer said he was considering “a lot of personnel things . . . staff and otherwise” before he was dismissed.

One likely thing would have been firing offensive coordinator Dave Clawson, who is now the head coach at Bowling Green.

Fulmer said he found it odd that he received so much criticism over the years concerning his offensive system. Then, when he changed his approach and turned over the reigns to Clawson, it led to his downfall.

“That was one decision I’d certainly like to have back,” Fulmer said. “We had a very sound system. I’m not saying it was Dave Clawson’s fault. The dynamics of how it all happened really didn’t work out very well for us.”

Fulmer seemed displeased that his assistant coaches weren’t given quicker notice that Kiffin wouldn’t retain them.

Good and Bad: Offensive coordinator Jim Chaney has seen the good in UT’s offensive line — namely the running game.

“Right now they like to play it physical and that’s been a good thing for us,” Chaney said of UT’s rushing attack, which he admitted has exceeded expectations.

Then there’s the bad.

“Pass protection has not yet met my expectations,” Chaney said. “I think we should be a better football team in the pass protection standpoint than we are today.”

Chaney maintained that UT’s five offensive line positions are still up for grabs. The Vols went with Jarrod Shaw and Chris Scott at tackle, Jacques McClendon and Vladimir Richard at guard and Cody Sullins at center with the first team during the final portions of practice Thursday.

“We haven’t made any decisions on who’s going to be starting that first ball game in the fall,” Chaney said. “It’s open competition. Let’s get it on.”

Cody Pope has seen as much movement recently as anyone, playing tackle and guard over the past week.

Gagged: A new defensive scheme is helping redshirt freshman linebacker Herman Lathers.

Whenever the Vols utilize a “gag” defensive front, which means lining up defensive tackles closer to the center, Lathers is less likely to be bullied by UT’s interior offensive lineman.

“That helps a lot,” said Lathers, who is competing with junior Nick Reveiz for playing time at middle linebacker.

While Reveiz relies on instincts and strength, Lathers brings the athleticism.

“My strength I bring in is speed and quickness because of my size,” the 217-pounder said. “I have to play quick and fast.”

Lincoln’s Lone Lapse: Daniel Lincoln missed his final field-goal attempt of the day after nearly turning in a flawless performance.

“We make just about every kick during our charting period. Today we’re 29-of-30,” the junior said. “The one we miss is at the end of practice. That leaves a little bitter taste in your mouth.”

So Lincoln stayed on the practice field and kicked two more field goals as the rest of the Vols headed to the locker room.

Injuries: Defensive lineman Wes Brown did not practice with a sore knee. Tight end Luke Stocker returned, overcoming a concussion.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

berryballer writes:

come on lincoln

PepperGrinder (Inactive) writes:

Third

old_number1 writes:

Hsd my chsnce, but just said no.

utvol2485 writes:

Now that Mule Day is over I guess Fulmer will have a lot more time on his hands. Must be stressful being the head tally-whacker at that shindig.

volpreacher writes:

in response to volsgatorbait:

Really? You actually think UF can score 63 on UT when their offense only scored 16 on our defense last year? Their total points was 30 with 1 punt return and a defensive touchdown.
UT 21
UF 13

Mark it down! And 13 is being generous against Monte's defense.

vol_chaz writes:

CLK and CPF "missed" each other? Right!

VOLKING writes:

in response to ButchIsBack:

That's what we say whenever you come on this board.

BillVol writes:

Fulmer's downfall is Dave Clawson's fault???

And Fulmer's been quite busy? Doing what?

Thank you, Mike Hamilton, for putting an end to the Fulmer era.

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

Dave Clawson was a bigtime problem but as far as him being the reason for that bad of a year and some of the problems I noticed many years b4 Clawson.Lets since even b4 Cutclif left there were some issues I noticed but not near as bad.With Cut on board in the 90's and then again 2006 and 2007 there was a clear difference than without him those times.

However there was some clear problems with Fulmer as coach I did not like with or without Cut.

Of course Phil is going to blame it on somone.

I do not hate Phil and am very glad for what he did do for UT but it was time and when you look back can anyone not look at how he got that job and combine that with everything you know about the lackluster seasons and not kinda be glad this poision is out of our system.

"As for Phil not having time and Kiff not having time" that is a lie.Phil was good at that.
I know for a fact Kiff asked him to do lunch and I know Phil didn't want to(GEE WHat a sourPuddy) so keep lying Phil you did that for years buddy.You may have some PHooled but I know how you are I can see through you.

Please stay away from UT Phil don't you think you done enough...Good or BAD?

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

I am not trying to be mean but I don't want to hear about this stupid winning % we used to always hear about!
You know what I am refering to!

Please tell me what his SEC record % and his record % against MILES,SABAN,MEYER,PATERNO,TUBERVILLE,Spurrier,and Richt? It is a Lossing one.

That SEC record was pretty bad the last 5 to 7 years.
I may be off but was it not like 16 and 37 against the SEC teams over the last 7 years?
Take away Kentucky and Vanderbilt boy and that takes a chunk out of even that!

orange__hammerhead writes:

in response to volsgatorbait:

johnward111#218638 writes:

in response to volsgatorbait:

This shows the ignorance of Gator fans. Vol defense will destroy Gay'tors next year. Our offense will be better and all the pressure is on Gay'tors to win at home. We will go in and dominate. Vols 28 Gays 13. Write it down punk

TnScooby writes:

in response to volsgatorbait:

Well any bookie in the world would take that bet! Way too much time on your hands to daydream.....strange how you replied to this so quick... as if you were waiting for fresh news...wow....Gator fans apparently VERY worried! Thanks CLK!

GaytorHater writes:

in response to volsgatorbait:

ravensearay writes:

I'm worried about the QB's - up one day down the next - man is it going to be a roller coaster ride.........

FUGators writes:

Yeah, I'd be proud of that 5-7 accomplishment too Foolmore! Your complacency ran the damn program in the ground which is why Kiffin and staff has so much ground to makeup! That's what I will remember you for!

Alt_news (Inactive) writes:

It's 1:00 AM. Do you know where your head coach is?

TNFootball writes:

I shouldn't even have read the article, because that really just pissed me off! Fulmer was thinking of personnel changes? Liar!!!! It's easy to say that now, but in reflecting back on his tenure, just how many personnel changes did he actually contemplate while the program began its plummeting spiral at the first of the decade? NONE!

Fulmer could've saved his own butt if he hadn't been so paranoid about bringing in a good staff to help lead him along without the ever-present fears of them doing to him what he in fact did to Majors! So, he sat back as we as fans watched our program sink farther and farther into the abyss where on any given gameday, we expected a loss rather than a possible win. It was the fans who began boycotting the games and calling for his butt to be fired. This showed the fans cared more for the program than he. I always said that if Fulmer truly cared about the program moreover than his self-righteous, arrogant self, then he would've done anything in his power to get our program back on track when it began its embarrassing plunge year after year.

Man-up Fulmer and take the responsibility! You think we are that stupid to think it was one year of Clawson that caused this horrid mess on THE HILL? This is why I hope you never ever get the opportunity to step back onto Shields-Watkins Field!

belayvol writes:

in response to Alt_news:

It's 1:00 AM. Do you know where your head coach is?

Yeah right now he is making the Vo De Oh Do with Layla while looking at that large cardboard cutout of Tebow and singing....Dontcha wish your girlfriend was hot like mine....

VOLinDAWGland writes:

Phil just revealed why he was fired. He still is not taking any responsibility for his role in the decline including loss of discipline, intensity and accountability including his own. He's now blaming Clawson for a problem he was very responsible for creating. I actually feel bad for Clawson as he stepped into a totally disfunctional situation and stayed classy through the whole thing...more than you can say for Phil. I actually was a Phil fan and still appreciate everything he's done for the program but it was time for him to go and this interview lowered my opinion of Phil a bit. I'm glad he's gone and we've turned the page...best of luck to him.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to TNFootball:

Good insight over a by-gone era.

It is amazing that Phil can't turn it loose.

TommyJack writes:

Let by-gones be buh-bye gones.

GreerVol22 writes:

Hey Phil, Arby's on Chapman was hiring last week. Give it a shot!

burntorangeVOLffle writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

Hey Phil, Arby's on Chapman was hiring last week. Give it a shot!

Did they just let you go?

Still amazed at the total lack of respect the only coach to win a National Title at TN in the last 50 years gets.

It may have been time for a change and change is what we got.

Time to give the bashing a rest. Respect the 152 wins, two SEC titles, 5 easterb div titles , and NC. Only FL and LSU can say they've done more in the same time frame.

FUGators writes:

in response to volsgatorbait:

WE enjoyed your mama last night---that lil devil.

gradulate da gata:

burntorangeVOLffle writes:

in response to rabidvolfan:

Your reading comprhension isnt very good is it? He was talking about a TV job.

FUGators writes:

in response to 99aintagator:

I would bet this is something the vol fans can finally settle on....

you are a loud-mouthed-cocky-arrogant-bit## of an (backwards ssa)-pole lover!

FUGators writes:

in response to Domino:

That you Vicky? How's Phil? He busy these days?

Psychovol writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

Twitter says Fulmer let the program slide after the NC and became a twit. He was never anything without Cut and the game maxims became a joke. He could have hired premier coaches like Kiff but his ego wouldn't let him.

belayvol writes:

in response to FUGators:

I would bet this is something the vol fans can finally settle on....

you are a loud-mouthed-cocky-arrogant-bit## of an (backwards ssa)-pole lover!

Don't hold back. Let him know how you really feel. LOL.

Bigger_Al writes:

When Phil took over from Johnny, it was a Major improvement.

I hope the same thing happens now with a new staff.

beachvol1 writes:

Hey, let's get off coach Fulmer...he's gone now and no need to be-labor the past, move forward with coach Kiffin and see what success he has as HC....as far as being realistic, don't believe that this less talented UT team can go into the swamp and honestly beat the gators, most likely won't happen...hopefully the Vols can play them tough and not get embarrassed...but again who thought the Vols could go into Miami seveal yrs ago and take out he Hurricanes...

volhallathunder writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Let by-gones be buh-bye gones.

They tried but "somebody" can't seem to take the hint to the tune of an office on campus.

CrankE writes:

in response to VOLstuckINky:

Did Majors really, "say nothing for 10 years"? I think not.

I agree with you 100% though. I wish both of them would shut it. Regardless of what they have to say, when they speak, it just picks at the wound/scar.

volhallathunder writes:

It's pretty obvious who had the coaching talent during the Fulmer era, Chavis at LSU, Cut at Duke, even Sanders and Clawson have jobs. What a joke.

volaholic45 writes:

1. The same people who are bashing PF for regretting the Clawson hire wanted to tar and feather Clawson a few months ago.

2. What do they want PF to do - track down Coach Kif and bow before his majesty, Obama-like? Not relishing that meeting is more than understandable. Way too soon. Look at how long it's taken Johnny to lick his wounds.

3. PF will probably draw lessons from the decline and end of his tenure at UT that he will never discuss publicly. Its called saving face, and everybody does it - even the PF haters on this board.

4. Still, nothing in the article makes me long for the PF era.

murrayvol writes:

Whew! Where to begin.

"We've missed each other," Give me strength. How about an office in the Athletic Dept. overlooking Haslem Field? Would Phil be any less welcome than Majors at practice? You can't be that damn busy.

"That was one decision I'd certainly like to have back," But you're not saying it was Clawson's fault. Yes you are....unless you were misquoted.

Don't know if there's a job out there with Fulmer's name on it or not but I continue to pray "let it be so" because it's the absolute best thing that could happen to him and the University of Tennessee football program. And that's not JMO....that's the truth.

arkyvol writes:

every time i start to feel nolstalgic for phil, i call to mind the memories of the u.c.l.a. and wyoming games. problem solved.

Alt_news (Inactive) writes:

<<It's 1:00 AM. Do you know where your head coach is?>>

<<Belayvol response:Yeah right now he is making the Vo De Oh Do with Layla ...>>

Probably not. Layla finally moved from California ... to Tampa. Not Knoxville.

Coach Kif spends his remarkably active social life at (at least) Hannah's, OCI and The Palace. Coach seems to have been accepted quite readily by many segments of the UT college community.

Go4Two writes:

in response to no_excuses:

Great advice Mr. Madoff why would you want to listen to a man that had a 152-52 record. He owned Alabama and Georiga played for the SEC title every couple of years.

RockinTop writes:

Quote: “If I came in new, I might want everybody new as well,” Fulmer said. “They were kind of strung out a little bit. That wasn’t real good I don’t think.”

This is CLEARLY a sour grapes statement, which are clearly out of his classy character. If he hasn't met with Kiffin, then why would he speculate?? Kiffin could have been seeking to hire them....but no one knows for sure.

If I throw a stick, will you go away?

Please CBS, ESPN, Duke or whoever is falling all over themselves to hire Phil....please, throw the stick.

These comments contradict his comments from his resignation "not to keep the 'family' divided".

Colliervol writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

Good insight over a by-gone era.

It is amazing that Phil can't turn it loose.

I just hope that the KNS doesn't go in for a monthly Fulmer article like they always seemed to do with Majors when news got slow. Time to put it behind us.

finn writes:

I think Phil had his day in the sun and did an exceptional job in the 90's. Unfortunately, it gradually became more about Phil and less about what was good for UT. He let ego and pride drive his decisions and his job became an entitlement versus something he had to earn via his team's performance.

Colliervol writes:

in response to hiresanders:

Why do you continue to use the word "we"? You have no say in this.

mjaichele writes:

What a joke, what major university is going to hire him? Stick a fork in him, he is done, unless Millsaps fires Dubose. Besides, when you are earning 245k a month for the next 6 years, why work? And if meeting up with Kiffin is so tuff, take a walk from your "FREE University provided office down the street and ask him to borrow a pencil or something. And after seeing you mumble, bumble, and stumble your way through your big ESPN job, I would'nt count on any more Celebrity appearances on TV unless its the Biggest Loser.

OrangeMagic writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

Hey Phil, Arby's on Chapman was hiring last week. Give it a shot!

what's up d!psh!t, you need a manager?

rudy123 writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

Remember this time last year,
we were all excited because
we Finally got rid of AInge and a real mobile q.b. was
next in line???? Also, remember how we were excited about a better offense being implemented and we could score alot of points per game?
Let's not get too excited
just yet. We could be in line for another disappointment.

OrangeMagic writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Good post WD, as usual. It's time for the bones to be slapped up the side of the head of the Fulmer haters. Geez, let it go. Take your funny spellings and your donut jokes and go to he!! or go be a gator fan.

As the one poster said earlier in this thread, Phil helped bring the only NC to TN that I've seen in my lifetime and I'm grateful for that. I'm glad Kiffin is here and extremely excited about the future of TN football. But stop disrespecting a man who's done far more than you'll ever achieve or tell me where you're coaching and what the prospects are of winning a NC. Oh yeah, that's right, you just have an opinion.

VolFanNC writes:

Please stop responding to volsgatorbait and 99aintagator. they add no value and no insight. Only purpose is to come here and get a rise out of people nothing else.

OL is really starting to concern me. Will see at the O&W game. It is starting to sound like BJ is slowly winning the competition....

GahLee writes:

in response to volsgatorbait:

Guys...calm down! He isn't predicting the score on Sep. 19, he is guessing how many arrests each team will have this year...Gotta say the 63 may be low seeing as they sit at 22 already...Remember those bad boy teams of Miami...steady rise...hard fall...no different here...University of Thugs.