Radio interview: Kiffin outspoken by design

Coach Lane Kiffin shared some thoughts on Tennessee’s football program with talk show host Hallerin Hilton Hill of WNOX on Thursday morning. Here are some of the more interesting quotes from coach Kiffin:

On His Competitive Nature: Even when we were at S.C. (Southern California) and we had things going and all the wins in a row, we’d come out of a game and we’d win 50-14 and I’d be trying to figure out why we didn’t win 57-14.

On Questions About His Youth: I’ve not felt that at all here. I think that is because, at 31, I was a head coach in the NFL. That was obviously a question at the time, the youngest head coach that had ever been in the NFL. I kind of went through that.

Doing that at that age is more difficult than being young in college because (in the NFL) you’re dealing with players that are older than you …You had to find a way to motivate them.

I don’t really get it that much anymore. I think part of that is just the experience.

On Team Rules: We don’t have a ton of rules but we do have a few. The first rule is the most important rule: You always protect your team.

I believe your team is like your family. All the decisions they make have to come back to what are the best decisions for our team — whether that’s in the media, whether that’s decisions on campus or in nightlife, driving, all the decisions that come up in life.

When a player is making decisions that are solely based on him and not on his team and his family, they have to go unfortunately.

I don’t like to kick anyone off. I wish we didn’t have to kick anyone off our team but it’s too valuable to the players that are here and all the players that are coming in.

On His Outspoken Manner: We had to do some things to get Tennessee out there. We have to recruit nationally. We have to be all over the country and all over the news. We got that done.

Unfortunately that’s the way it is. If you look back to when I was a head coach in the NFL, I didn’t say anything anywhere close to the stuff I’ve said here because it’s different. You don’t have to recruit. You’re not into marketing.

We’re talking about freshman, sophomores, juniors and seniors in high school. The response has been great, not just in this class that was just signed. A number of kids wouldn’t have stepped foot on our campus if we didn’t get out there and they weren’t hearing about us.

Now, we’ve got ninth and tenth graders calling us because everyone’s talking about it.

On The Difference in Today’s Players: Unfortunately, the number one thing that is on their mind is the NFL. You’ve got to understand that. You’ve got to motivate them in the classroom and in the community as well, but it’s so money driven and professionally driven to get to the NFL and make the money as fast as you can.

When we get this program really rolling, we’re going to deal with a lot of three-year kids. We’re going to deal with a lot of kids that if they don’t get injured and they follow our direction and take our coaching, in three years they’re going to be in the NFL.

I wish it was different. I wish it was not like this. But it is the way it is. I think we can deal with it extremely well.

On UT being an NFL Pipeline: That’s the reality of it. That’s what kids are thinking. Do you get some kids that are highly motivated to get their degree? Sure you do. But they’re not all like that. That’s just not how society is today.

So we have to know that. We think that we are a pipeline to the NFL. The drills that we do, our systems on offense and defense are straight from the NFL. They (prospects) are getting coaches that have coached in the NFL. They’re getting coaches that have coached a ton of first-round draft picks — 11 national championships between this staff and a Super Bowl championship.

We do know what it takes to get guys there. We’ve sat in draft rooms for years. We know what it takes and we know how to get you there. That was the same thing for us at USC and it will be the same way here.

On UT’s Quarterbacks: The three guys are doing well. Jonathan Crompton has seemed to kind of be the frontrunner and made the decisions up to this point. But it’s very competitive and I’m excited about how they’re playing.

On Bruce Pearl and Pat Summitt: Both of them are so dynamic. And they’re so competitive.

I think it was the day after they lost or the next day after they lost (to Ball State in the NCAA tournament) and coach Summitt is in here down on our practice field just grinding her girls. I sent our whole staff down there to meet her and just to watch her.

Then Coach Pearl, he came in our staff meeting yesterday. Our defensive line (coach)/recruiting coordinator Ed Orgeron, they’re kind of the same guy. They come in. They’ve got the loud voice and all the energy. Bruce coaches basketball but I’d love him on our football staff because he’s got a football personality.

On UT’s Offense and Defense This Fall: We won’t say exactly what it is because I don’t know. That has to do with our players. I don’t try to fit something in where it doesn’t fit. We’ll fit it to our players. We’ll do whatever we do best. I don’t know what that will be.

And on defense, we’ll be very physical.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

UTvols12342000 writes:

top post

UTvols12342000 writes:

go VOLS!

rockytopman writes:

Coach Kiff is cool. Gotta love the discipline, it's gotta translate to better play on the field.

VolGraduate writes:

4th

UTvols12342000 writes:

in response to h8ag8r:

worked out pretty well. Have to admit that I thought maybe the post would end up being the 2nd or 3rd post and that really had me worried. ;)

kabzs writes:

in response to h8ag8r:

It's funny to see the "first" posts.

Let the boy have his 30 seconds of self accomplishment.

Your'e not jealous are you?

UTvols12342000 writes:

i wouldnt want to be like VolGraduate and post 4th when I am 5th. Boy, how stupid would that make me look. ;)

If Kiffin can make game adjustments and score just average points, then we win 9 or 10 games this year. If we struggle at all on offense, I look for a repeat performance of last year.

UTvols12342000 writes:

I would never post "1st", only losers do that

rocky_topper writes:

in response to UTvols12342000:

top post

Oh you just had to be first didn't you! Teaches me to walk away from my computer!

LOSER!

DennisVols writes:

"That has to do with our players. I don’t try to fit something in where it doesn’t fit. We’ll fit it to our players. We’ll do whatever we do best. I don’t know what that will be."

That says all I needed to hear. Last year the Clawfense was forced on this team. Players who had been recruited for a pro style offense being made to go some funky kind of spread. The adjustments were never made to find something that fit the players. Kinda like trying to put a 38" waist in 32" pair of pants. Someone gonna get hurt.
Making the adjustments, how many times and how many of us have questioned that for many years now?
Things are getting better and that all we can expect right now.

jeremy78tn writes:

in response to hiresanders:

Maybe he doesn't talk about Oakland because he's still in a legal battle with them or because it wasn't a college coaching job and doesn't relate to his position now.

How many times are they going to run this same article only rearranging the words?

Volchaz writes:

Pearl would make a heck of a football coach. I remember seeing him on the football sidelines one time, and he was still working the refs...

Bearwuzacheater writes:

in response to hiresanders:

But even when they do struggle, they'll still have a guaranteed win against your pathetic mildcats homo.

NashvillePreds writes:

in response to hiresanders:

Why don't you actually read the story? The third question, about his youth, he talks exculsively about the NFL. You have quite the ability in reading comprehension. What did you make on the ACT, a 17? GO PREDS...Could make the playoffs for the 5th year in a row tonight!

teampenny#658108 writes:

I would like to know what LK knows about Bush's family getting money or favors for Bush's future service. Lk gets credit for what Bush has done on the field and he has to take some responsibility for Bush's actions off the field. Teams are like families you can not keep secrets-the coaches knew something was not right with the Bush's sudden wealth. LK was there in my opinion he knew, hope stuff like that does not happen here. NCAA or the press is not likely to treat the VOLS the away they treat USC . Go Vols

OrangeMandM writes:

Im sold! Damn I can't wait till football season! Don't let me down Lane.

jujuvolz writes:

in response to hiresanders:

Go Away!!! You're not wanted here!

spivol writes:

Anyone know how many tickets have been sold for the O & W game? Just curious. I just bought mine and am soooo pumped for the 18th. Never thought I'd be geeked out over the spring game. Anyone know the head count?

mjaichele writes:

in response to hiresanders:

I have had bowel movements that had higher IQ's than you.

kabzs writes:

in response to h8ag8r:

been there with you. "First Poster" is an Honor I've yet to attain. But as CLK says,

"..just going to keep on competing"

GreerVol22 writes:

You gotta love the straight answers. Play the best people and only run plays they can run.....kids are here for the NFL, its reality so deal with it.....stuff like that. So much better than "workin' like heck" to get better.

BigVolFaninSC writes:

in response to mjaichele:

I have had bowel movements that had higher IQ's than you.

THAT was a good one!LOL Let the haters have their say because in a few years (maybe sooner) they won't have much to talk about! By the way, I like the psych-out using the media to get attention!! GO VOLS!!!

douglasawilliams#582863 writes:

I believe CLK has instilled a more competitive team already. If he can get one of these 3 qb's to play at a high level than we could actually be a good team. I believe whole heartedly that Bryce Brown, Oku, Janzen Jacksen will all see significant playing time this season. There is an old saying that goes "sometimes you got to call the baby ugly" and baby were we ugly last season!!!! We will be better how much better I'm not sure. I was very impressed with his signing class after the disappointment in losing Marlon Brown. I'll go out on a limb and say we will not be the 117th rated offense in the country. We won't be in the top 10 either. CLK has an easy assignment, at least be bowl eligible and your first year is looked as a success. Anything exceeding that is icing on the cake.

Voluvr writes:

HERE'S THE DIFFERENCE in game philosophy from the previous staff. This paragraph from the article above:

"There will be times where we could run it 40 times in a game and times where we could throw it 40 times a game. We’ll do whatever it takes to win. We won’t be stubborn and do something that our players don’t do extremely well."

How many times have we tried to put a square through a round hole? Rere to have an actual adjustment on the fly.

Voluvr writes:

Stubborn being the optimum word.

douglasawilliams#582863 writes:

in response to Voluvr:

I really was impressed with that statement also. Sometimes I felt that CPF just ran off guard because he had success with power football earlier as a coach. I think that attitude is crucial, don't be stubborn do what it takes to win the game. If you got to dink and dunk them to death do it till the defense makes you stop. Conversely, if you run the ball 8 straight times keep doing it till they cheat the safeties in the box and then play action post pattern for 35 yards.

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

I would love to see Bruce Pearl coach football. He would be a GREAT LB coach.

We rat on Bruce some for his in-game coaching (or lack thereof) and some recruiting choices, but I still really like the guy leading our program. I think he DOES learn from his mistakes.

NOTE: The following paragraph is all speculation. I obviously do NOT know the inner workings, but just stuff I picked up watching the UT games.
What might help Bruce more than anything is a change or 2 in his assistants. Don't get me wrong, the guys can coach, but it might be time to adjust the 'game manager' and recruiting leads.

murrayvol writes:

in response to teampenny#658108:

USC is being "treated" even as we speak.

DennisVols writes:

in response to ButchIsBack:

Have you always been an IDOIT or did you grow into it naturally?

murrayvol writes:

in response to ButchIsBack:

Butchie, you're screaming again. You know what happens when you do that. No SpongeBob Sqarepants for you.

DennisVols writes:

in response to The_Four_Horsemen:

He questioned why they need to "market" UT if it is a top program.
Fuuny if there is no need to market then why do I see comercials for companues like Microsoft, Apple, Allstate, State Farm to name just a few that are considered top programs in their respected fields. Why don't people just go to them.
The all caps is how elem. school children type so he gives us insight to his mentally level.

mjaichele writes:

in response to ButchIsBack:

Mommy forget to give you your Ritalin today?

JMP_Vols writes:

in response to ButchIsBack:

Excuse me, sir. You accidently left your Caps Lock on.

You're welcome.

tennezz writes:

in response to ButchIsBack:

Your a real "class" act butch! Is it envy, or fear, or dumdazz? Anyone have any ideas about this?

commonsense32 writes:

Wow looks like he was dead on with all the statements that he made. He says he was doing it to get national recognition, and I prefer to believe that.
BJ Coleman will be the opening day starter!!!!

STNVol09 writes:

To hiresanders:

Why does Kentucky stay with Rich Brooks? More the question is why does Rich Brooks stay with Kentucky, a proven bunch of losers on the football field? I mean there are not too many other college football teams that lose any better than Kentucky. If I were him I'd go ahead and retire. If I were Joker Phillips I'd look for another job. Since hiring wonder boy Calapari, the school will never be a football school and will continue to perpetually develop football fans like yourself...wishing you could win at the rate of Tennessee. 5-7 ...yes we were but we haven't lost to Kentucky since 1984.....1984......1984......1984.......

NashvillePreds writes:

Hey Butch, 13 SEC Championships, 6 NCAA Championships, #7 in all time victories...you were talking?

oldvolsfan writes:

in response to hiresanders:

your as dumb as gator123456789 go back to sleep

rbhobbs73#226545 writes:

in response to ButchIsBack:

Hey B!itch is back,

Why do you keep coming on here spewing your opinions and calling them facts?

Nowhere in that link that you posted did it say that Sarkisian called the plays while Kiffin was at USC. As a matter of fact...the 2005 and 2006 seasons (when Lane was OC)Sarkisian's own bio says he was Quarterback's coach.

Then you talk about Tennessee as "you" and then midway through your diatribe...you start to describe Tennessee as "we"....

Face it, you are not a Tennessee fan. Just admit it. I don't know what team you are a fan of, but I do know that they don't want you.

You, sir....are an idiot.

Jankypoo writes:

"Joking About Being His Father’s (defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin) Boss: He doesn’t listen very well I’ve noticed. He just kind of walks in and out of meeting whenever he wants."

Is a coach that has ADHD a good thing? Haha...

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to Jankypoo:

Is a coach that has ADHD a good thing? Haha...

Geezers can do about anything they want.

Well, almost anything.

I know from 'perience.

rocky_topper writes:

in response to The_Four_Horsemen:

butch doesn't coach, but he does cheerlead on the sidelines of T-Ball though and even dresses for the part!

Colliervol writes:

in response to hiresanders:

Why do you keep talking about UT since you obviously aren't and have never been a fan?

Colliervol writes:

in response to ButchIsBack:

No the optimum word is "fired". Deal with it.

Colliervol writes:

in response to ButchIsBack:

Too many caps. Hurts my eyes to read it so I won't bother.

the10sevol writes:

Geez, I hate the grammar police, but to make a point, I'm gonna be one for a second...

You guys talking about "optimum word"... I think you're looking for "operative word"...let me give you an axample:
Butch says "PROGRAM BECOME A NATIONAL POWERHOUSE STARTING IN THE MID 90'S".
In this example, the "operative phrase" is "STARTING IN THE MID 90'S", to wit: the premise of UF being a national powerhouse is true in 2009. But the real truth lies in the "operative phrase". While proclaiming their greatness, he freely admits that UF was completely off the national football map for the previous eight (?) decades before the mid-nineties. Champions of irrelevancy for those years, perhaps. I think the Vols' record over those years speaks for itself.
As a side note, does anyone besides me remember the "gator flop" in - I think - 1969, when the UF defense, to a man, fell to the ground and allowed an opponent to score so John Reaves could get back on the field and set a PERSONAL (caps just for you, Butch) record? I think they even lost the game, but can't attest to it. Anyone see John Reaves' rap sheet lately? He really is an all-time gator.

OK, this grammar thing is too much work, hope ya'll got something out of it.

murrayvol writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

Geezers can do about anything they want.

Well, almost anything.

I know from 'perience.

Don't quite have a handle on all the geezer perks but I'm gettin' there......fast.

Save me a seat.

murrayvol writes:

in response to sjt18:

Good point.

murrayvol writes:

in response to the10sevol:

Butch says "PROGRAM BECOME A NATIONAL POWERHOUSE STARTING IN THE MID 90'S".

OK, this grammar thing is too much work, hope ya'll got something out of it.

I remember the "gator flop" but it was 1971 in Reaves senior year.

volhallathunder writes:

in response to ButchIsBack:

I'll take Carrolls word over yours you dumb MF:

Former USC co-offensive and recruiting coordinator and recently-fired Oakland Raiders coach Lane Kiffin is thought to be a possible candidate to fill the Washington Huskies' coaching vacancy.

At least, he has has expressed interest.

Kiffin's former boss, USC coach Pete Carroll said this when asked about attributes that could make Kiffin a good college head coach: "I think there's a whole list of them."

"He's been brought up on football. As a young guy, he was a student coach in college, so he's been around it forever. So, he's way ahead of his years. He is an excellent off mind. He's got philosophy behind him, a system behind him that has worked for him."

Carroll continued, "He's been in the most difficult coaching situation ever (at Oakland), so if he gets the chance, whether it's in college football or the NFL, he's grown a tremendous amount for how old he is. I think he'll be a very successful guy for a long, long time. He brings with the recruiting that he was in charge of here and set the momentum for us, that and the whole offense, which is always good. "